Chapter 1

Jealous yet?

-Chapter 1-

 

It was another typical Friday night and Sam Narae had just gotten home from a busy shift at the pizzeria. Not yet tired enough to fall asleep, she took a shower and decided to indulge herself by watching YouTube videos and eating chocolate. Opening her laptop, she already saw 8 notifications from her close friend, Kim Taehyung, and 15 notifications from her best friend, Kim Sori, who had also just gotten home after hours of working at the convenience store down the street. As always, Narae spent the whole night typing away on her laptop, making stupid jokes with Taehyung and linking youtube videos to Sori. In the middle of watching a video of a cat playing with string, Narae’s phone vibrated. She unlocked the screen to see a text message from her best guy friend, Min Yoongi, whose reputation granted him with the nickname “Suga”:

 

Can we meet tomorrow at that cafe we always go to?

 

Eager to return to her video, Narae quickly responded:

 

Sure! I'll be there at 12.

 

A few seconds later, she received a message back saying:

 

Awesome! See you then!

The next morning, Narae woke up at 11:30 to a bright and sunny day. She had such a wonderful feeling about today; the sun was shining so brightly in the sky and there wasn’t a cloud to be seen. Narae quickly got up, got dressed, and headed down to the café to meet Suga. She entered the warm cafe and was immediately engulfed by the wonderful smell of caramel macchiatos and pastries. Narae looked around and saw that Suga was already sitting there, waiting for her. “He is never on time, this must be urgent”, Narae thought, walking over to Suga's table. As she sat down across from him, he greeted her and said, “We need to talk about something."

"Sure, what's up?" Narae asked coolly.

Suga looked into Narae’s eyes and smiled. "I know this is a little sudden and strange…I don't know why I haven't told you this yet, but you know that girl I was complaining about a couple of weeks ago? The girl from the convenience store that took forever to ring me up and then gave me the wrong change?”

"Yeah, you ranted about her for hours, how could I forget that? Why do you bring her up?"

“Well actually, we're dating. Two days already," Suga smiled and waited for a response from his best friend.

"What? You're dating her? Tell me EXACTLY how that happened because I'd like to know”, Narae finished, giving Suga a look that read ‘really?’.

Suga was a little taken aback by her sudden outburst, but he regained his composure as he told Narae what she wanted to know. "Basically, I saw her last week at the store trying to get something off of the top shelf. I grabbed it and handed it to her. When she turned to thank me, I realized it was her, the terrible cashier. We had a short conversation and that's when I realized how nice and sweet she was. We exchanged numbers and started to hang out, which is why I’ve been hanging out with you less often... Sorry. I took her to this really nice park, the one I always take you to, and asked her out."

Narae pinched up her face as an expression of her disapproval. After knowing Suga for such a long time, she couldn’t help herself from developing an enormous crush on him. However, she was still his best friend and had to act supportive. She leaned over the table to hit him and shouted, "WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME SOONER? WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU?”

Suga laughed a whole heartedly and said,"I knew you would support me. You have to meet her; I know you'll love her just as much as I do."

"Well, I’m sure that she’s pretty cool, but if she hurts you, I'll hurt her face."

He laughed, not realizing that Narae was being completely serious. The two friends spent the rest of their time at the café chatting about hip hop music and drinking the tea that Suga had bought for the two of them. Narae always made him buy her tea; it was just their thing.

As they finished their drinks, Suga asked Narae cheekily, "Any progress with you and a guy yet?"

"Nah,” she said smiling. “Unless you want to hook me up with Jungkookie.," Narae already knew that Jungkook was taken; he told her a few days ago, but she wiggled her eyebrows suggestively anyway.

Suga laughed and said, "Actually, Jungkook has a girlfriend. They just decided to keep it to themselves; they're not a fan of publicity."

"Ugh, that . Why didn't I know about this? Damn Suga, you don't tell me anything”, she said, jokingly. “Well, how's Jimin doing then?", Narae asked, wiggling her eyebrows again.

"He's been a bit depressed lately. You know how he just broke up with Miryeo,” Narae had already known about this, too; in fact she was the one that wiped his tears away the day it happened. However, she pretended it was news to her as Suga continued, “but J Hope seems to be in need of a companion these days."

"Hmmmm, sounds good!” Narae said with fake enthusiasm. She was a bit shocked that Suga presented her with a real suggestion. Honestly, Narae was just playing along by asking about people who she knew were unavailable, the only person she really wanted to be with was Suga. “So, do you want to give me his number?" She kept up her facade by wiggling her eyebrows again, then playfully added, “You know you love me."

Suga was thrown off course as the phrase “You know you love me” hit him. Chuckling, he said, "Why don't you come to the dorm later? You can see the guys and meet my girlfriend." Suga proceeded to check his watch and said, "Shoot, I have to go. Practice is starting now." He kissed Narae on the cheek before running out the door, leaving behind his empty cup and a stunned friend.