In the Garden of Eden

A Girl like the Roses of Bengal

• Chapter V •
In the Garden of Eden

It was a quiet Saturday morning in Goo’s garden. The sun didn’t shine too much and there was a pleasant smell in the air. Hara didn’t know where it came from and she was too busy to care about it. She was sitting at the patio table on which she had placed textbooks and a spiral notebook. She was so concentrated that she didn’t even notice that someone had been watching her for a few minutes.

''Excusez-moi, monsieur. À quelle heure arri- arri-ve-rons-nous à destination ? À desti-nation...''

''Aren’t you sick of studying?''

Hara quickly turned, more surprised to hear a young man’s voice, than been disturbed. She saw Minho who leaning against a statue. She didn’t know whether the contraction of his lips was forming a smile or a smirk. She ended up turning his head anyway, determined to ignore him.

''You’re ignoring me?'' he said before approaching. ''It's a shame, but it won’t stop me from sitting down.''

He walked toward the table and let himself fall into another chair as Hara looked at him in disapproval.

''Who are you and what do you want?'' she said coldly.

''I'm one of the gardeners. My name is Minho and I just want to have a little chat.''

''You should go back to work if you do not want to lose your job.'' she replied, trying to focus on her textbook.

''It's break time actually.'' he said, revealing an apple. ''You should get some rest too. Enjoy your garden for once.''

''That’s exactly what I’m doing.''

''No, you're boring yourself. Every time I see you, you're boring yourself with your studies. Usually, you’re going to school or coming back without even looking at the hydrangeas next to the stairs, or the violets near the fountain. Today, it's the same. Have you even noticed that there’s lilac beside you?''

He was right and it left her stunned. She looked at the lilac bush that was just a few steps away from the table. She wondered if the fragrance she had noticed some time ago came from the lilac. Yet, she didn’t dare to ask Minho.

''Do you want it?'' he asked, rousing her from her thoughts, pointing his apple.

He threw the apple as soon the moment she answered ''no.'' It took her by surprise, but she still managed to catch the fruit. She wanted to give it back, but change her mind when she saw that he had another one. She watched him as he took a bite of his juicy apple. She liked juicy apples. Unable to resist, she took a big bite of hers. Minho grinned.

''Ha ha! Anyone seeing us would think they have a vision of Adam and Eve.''

''Why?'' she asked even though she already knew the answer.

''Think about it, a boy and a girl in a garden... apples. According to legend, it’s the forbidden fruit and you haven’t shown much resistance before eating it.''

At these words, Hara put her apple on the table and wiped .

''It's not a legend but a myth. Anyway, I don’t understand why people keep evoking the worst example of women’s failure.''

''What! '' he said, letting out a chuckle.

''We have nothing in common, Eve and I.''

''What do you mean?''

''I will never succumb to love. Never! I will not make the same mistake she did.''

''So, you hate men...'' Minho said with a smirk as he slightly leaned forward.

''No, I don’t. It is in their... I mean, in your nature to try to seduce. Women, however, must resist.''

''It explains a lot.''

''What?''

''Minho!?''

Hara jumped and turned. She saw a man standing near the statue Minho was leaning against earlier. He seemed more surprised than her.

''What are you doing?''

''It looks like I have to go now, but let's continue this conversation later.'' he whispered so that only Hara heard. ''I’m coming!''

Hara watched him walk away in a brisk pace. She felt guilty for talking with him for so long. This feeling accentuated when she heard Minho’s colleague reprimanding him. From the man’s words, she learned that Minho wasn’t the kind of guy to break the rules. She wondered what his intentions were. She thought that something was going on.

After they left, Hara was no longer in the mood for study. She looked at her garden. It was really beautiful, worthy to be compared to the Garden of Eden... maybe. The wind rose and turned a few pages of her textbook. She decided to go inside. She walked toward the entrance, but stopped just in front of the stairs. She reached out her hand to touch one of the hydrangeas, but changed her mind before touching the purple petals. She stiffened and went up the stairs in a hurry.

As soon as she closed the door, it was silent. She could no longer hear the birds twittering, or the sound of leaves swaying in the breeze. There was nothing else than the cold silence of her big empty house. His father was in his office as usual. The servants didn’t want to be noticed, didn’t want to change the austere atmosphere of the house. Things had not always been like this. There was a time when music was played all day. The windows were open and the servants constantly smiled, happy to serve such a happy family. Hara, however, was too young at that time and didn’t remember.

A small smile crept on her lips when she saw Butler Cho coming out of a secret door and welcoming her with loving eyes. Now too old to have a governess, Hara almost considered the butler as such. She could confide in him whenever she wanted and he was attentive to his needs.

''Already back?''

''The wind was too strong. I couldn’t concentrate anymore.'' she lied.

''Yes, I guess.'' Butler Cho said.

A smile appeared on his face as he watched Hara climb the stairs, returning to her room. He waited until she is was out of sight before turning and go outside. He felt a breeze on his face, but no strong wind. However, he wasn’t surprised. He went to the main gate and looked in the mailbox for the second time that day. The letter of the day hadn’t arrived yet. He returned to the house, empty-handed.

''Hello, Butler Cho.'' said one of the gardeners, the one who had surprised Hara and Minho talking.

''Oh, Jung Shin-ssi! How are you?''

''Good and you?''

''Me too. It's a beautiful day isn’t it? A perfect day for an escapade.''

''Oh, yes... yes it is... '' Jung Shin said, looking furtively at Minho. He didn’t see that Butler Cho did the same thing.

''Hello to you too, Minho-ssi.'' he said before heading to the house, smiling.

''Butler Cho.'' Minho said, bowing his head to greet him.

Butler Cho had understood, or so he thought. Because the letter hadn’t arrived yet, he had concluded that Hara had not one, but two suitor. Things were about to change for the girl he almost considered as his daughter. He only hoped to be able to protect those three ignorant kids and from the upcoming storm.

 

A/N: Woowooh! I’ve worked really hard on this chapter so I hope you liked it. To tell the truth, I wrote it at work. ^o^ // Shh! Don’t tell anyone.

Please, I'm begging you, don't be silent readers. Subscribe and comment.