Rekindle an Old Friendship

A Girl like the Roses of Bengal

A/N: Sorry for the late update. I actually planned to update Sunday, but when I read the chapter I had written months ago, I was really disappointed. I couldn’t post that crap, so I decided to revamp it because it’s a very important chapter. I’m not totally satisfied with the new version, but you have waited long enough. Also, forgive my English. Although I live in Canada, English is not my first language and I’m not perfectly fluent yet. Tell me if you find some terrible mistakes and bear with me for the small ones.

Song: 2PM - Electricity (220v Remix) (I remember listening to it on replay when I wrote this chapter back in July.)

 

• Chapter IV •
Rekindle an Old Friendship

It was almost two o'clock in the morning when Onew finally entered the night club. He had a hard time deciding whether or not to go. Fortunately, the club, with its loud music and laser lights, strengthened his courage which was still fragile a few moments before.

He had a serious and confident expression on his usually joyful face. He plunged into the crowd and some girls looked at him. He was pretty y because he had made an effort to wear nice clothes and make his charming smile disappear.

On the other side of the room, he approached the bar. The barman looked at him, suspiciously. He doubted that Onew was of legal drinking age. The latter remembered times when Seungyeon and he wanted to buy alcohol. It was always difficult because they both looked younger than their actual age. These thoughts made ​​him sad considering what happened earlier that morning.

''No need to look at me like that; I don’t want anything. In fact, I am looking for someone. Is Choi Minho-ssi here?''

The young man pointed at the stage. Onew turned and looked in the same direction. Apart from the DJ, there was nobody up there. He couldn’t see his friend that he hadn’t seen for a long time. Suddenly, the music became even catchier and the crowd screamed in unison. That's when Onew realized that Minho was actually the DJ. He looked different from the last time he had seen him. Minho was no longer that teen with long hair. He was older.

Onew walked toward the stage, but the partyers prevented him from approaching Minho. He tried to get his attention by shouting his name and waving his arms in the air. He looked ridiculous doing so. When Minho finally looked at him, he recognized him immediately. Even from afar, he recognized the same weird Onew-hyung.

Minho asked one of his co-workers to make Onew sit at a table where he could wait for him. During his break, he rushed towards his old friend and hugged him. Years had passed, but their friendship hadn’t changed. Or so he thought.

''Hyung! It's so good to see you! How did you found me? By chance?'' Minho asked with a broad smile before telling Onew to sit down.

''Well, yes.'' Onew wasn’t serious anymore. Seeing his old friend made him very happy. ''I saw you in some wealthy family’s garden. I couldn’t talk to you because you were working, but I was told I could find you here.''

''Yes, I am a gardener at Goo Hyung Jin’s place. He’s the dean of my department. I need to pay my tuition fees, you know.'' he said, putting his hand on Onew’s shoulder.

''The dean of your department! Aren’t you supposed to be a high school senior?''

''I skipped one year by taking evening classes.''

''You! Taking evening classes!''

''I've changed, hyung. In Busan, without the three of you, I was nobody’s maknae. I had no choice but to grow up.''

Onew looked at him, amazed. He had momentarily forgotten what he wanted to ask. He couldn’t help smiling because at that moment nothing else mattered. He just wanted to enjoy the moment and the joy that this rekindled friendship gave him.

''When did you come back to Seoul? Why didn’t you tell us? None of us have moved, you know.''

''I came back at the beginning of the school year in order to attend Sogang University. Believe me, I wanted to see you again, but three years is a very long time ...''

''And ... for how long have you been working for the dean?'' Onew asked with some hesitation.

''A few months, why?''

''Because I have a favour to ask.'' Onew said, knowing he couldn’t retreat.

''Shoot, hyung. If you want money, I don’t even have enough for myself.’’ he said with a chuckle. ''If you want advice, it depends for what. But, shoot.''

''I need you to return the favour you promised me in the past. I want you to help me win a girl’s heart. I think of Hara day and night. I sent her letters, but she never tried to discover who I am.''

''Hara? Are you talking about Goo Hara, the dean’s daughter?''

''Yes, I am.''

''I never talked to her, but it's true that she’s very beautiful. Tell me everything.''

''I can’t talk her. She goes to a private school for girls and she never leaves her house alone.''

''What do you want me to do?'' He seemed willing to help, which relieved Onew.

''Convince her to meet me.'' Onew said to Minho as he looked straight in his eye, hoping to understand his thoughts.

Minho didn’t say anything. What Onew was asking him to do was against the rules it had to comply as an employee at Goo’s place.

''It would be difficult, hyung. She’s as pure as a saint. Why don’t you try to love someone else?''

''She’s the reason I breathe. Live for another one would be more difficult than dying for Hara.''

These words moved Minho very deeply. He had not imagined how different things were going to be after seeing his childhood best friend again. He knew this love story was going to affect their friendship even if he decided not to help Onew.

''If you love her that much, then I will try.'' he decided.

''Thank you so much.'' Onew said hugging Minho. ''But, remember, she’s mine.'' he added with a smile.

''I swear, hyung. Hara will be yours and nobody else’s in this world. Trust me.''

The two friends didn’t talk longer because Minho’s break was already over. Since he lived alone in Seoul, one job wasn’t enough to pay both his education and housing. He had found this part-time job as a DJ thanks to one of his classmates who didn’t know his age.

Onew stayed at the table a few more moments. He looked at Minho who was wearing big headphones, his eyes on his DJ equipment. Onew felt very proud. Their maknae was all grown up. He then left the club. It was already late and he had no reason to stay. He went home, happy to have developed a plan to meet Hara, but also tohave talked to an old friend. Everything would have been perfect if Seungyeon was there because she was her best friend now. He took out his phone and tried to call her.

 

A/N: Thank you so much for your comments! My dear 11 subscribers, I love you! you, I love you for reading till the end.

Some of you really like the songs describing the characters’ feelings. I actually thought it would bore you… Well, yesterday I finally found two other songs that fit Hara and Minho’s feelings. Their feelings won’t be as simple as Onew and Seungyeon’s. You’ll see…

By the way, I found the perfect song for this fanfic: Hard to say I love you by WEAVER. I put the link in the foreword. Listen to it, jaebal! The lyrics match so well. I couldn’t resist making it the fanfic’s ‘’official’’ theme song. ^^

Comment, subscribe, and love me!