Pairings

You're Only Mine

Days before their official debut to China, Kris found out that EXO-M will be mainly staying in China and EXO-K will be in Korea, and will stay in the respective countries for at least six months.

 

 “No visiting?” Kris asked their manager.

 

“I’m afraid we can’t afford that. You guys will be promoting separately after all.” The manager responded to the Chinese leader’s complaint.

 

“But! We’re one group, aren’t we?”

 

“Kris, that’s fine, both subgroups will be busy with promotions anyway.” Suho joined in the conversation when his fellow leader refused to give in.

 

“I know, but can’t we have a joined performance or something every once in a while?”

 

“Our choreography is designed for separate performances, and the main reason EXO has a unique concept of having subgroups right from debut is to promote in two areas at the same time, and you already know about this, so I shouldn’t be telling you this anymore.”

 

With Suho’s words, Kris was momentarily reminded that they are artists that are about to debut, they are about to start walking the path towards their life-long dream and there is currently no room for his little complaints right now. With that, he gave in and stopped arguing with their managers, and with that settled the managers left EXO’s dorm for the day.

 

Right after seeing the managers off, Suho grabbed Kris’ hand and gently squeezed it, even if his hand is much smaller than the tall member's.

 

“Hey, I don’t want this, too, but let’s work hard in this together, okay?”

 

Kris heard his lover’s frail voice, much different from the strong determined voice the EXO-K leader used earlier, and with that he realized that he’s not the only one affected with their coming long separation. He removed his hand from Suho’s grasp and enveloped those small hands in his big hold.

 

“Yeah, I’m sorry for being immature in this.”

 

Suho flashed a smile at his direction before leaning to the Chinese leader’s big build.

 

“But Joon Myeon-hyung is paired up with Sehunnie!” A voice from inside the dorm shouted at them, while they were still standing near the gates.

 

Both of them looked at the direction of the voice and Chen immediately left the scene, or the living room window where he shouted.

 

Like cold water pouring on him, Kris threw away his mature leader side once again and started ranting to Suho about the pairings of the group.

 

SM entertainment has a unique way of reminding their artists of the dating ban for the first two years of their career. They came up with a “Pair System” wherein they pair up members of the same group to be a constant reminder for each other that they have to keep their career as their first priority. Of course, EXO being the youngest group from the company, they are no exemption to this system.

 

During pre-debut, their pairings are Xiumin and Chen, Luhan and Sehun, Kris and Tao, Suho and Lay, Baekhyun and Chanyeol, and D.O. and Kai. It did invite some popular “shippings” among fans, but this kind of talk is much better than a dating rumor among idols.

 

But with separate promotions of the subgroups, the pairing had to be changed so that their pair will be in the subgroup with them. It then changed into, Xiumin and Chen, Luhan and Lay, Kris and Tao, Suho and Sehun, Baekhyun and Chanyeol, and D.O. and Kai.

 

Lay had a bit of a fun time teasing their Chinese leader with his pairing with Suho and it looks this time the teasing rights will go to their much more mischievous maknae.

 

“Joon Myeon~” The whole dorm echoes with Kris’ voice repeatedly calling Suho’s name as they enter the door.

 

“Poor Joon Myeon, he just managed to persuade Kris with one issue and now there’s another issue for him to work on.” Luhan commented as he sees the couple make their way to the living room.

 

“I’m pretty sure Joon Myeon will handle it just fine.” Xiumin answered Luhan, as he successful sneak up behind his best friend unnoticed.

 

“We should start packing our bags.” Xiumin added before making his way back to his room. Luhan just followed him with his gaze while thinking ‘Why am I not in the same pair with Minseok?’ and he let out a sigh before slowly following the older member.

 

“Because I’m the one paired up with Minseok-hyung.” An irritating voice answered the question in his mind. And as Luhan directs a murderous glare to the owner of that voice, Chen for the second time that day, made a successful escape from his victim.