Chapter 8

Stranger in Hongdae

 

Another day slipped passed, slick and empty, grey and dull. Chanyeol shifted closer to clutch on her hand, softly. “You know what, sometimes God send things to us.” There was a decent gap between them. It was raining again. Outside was a complete blur. And he had made a perfect company, for a lovely siesta.

“Hmm.” She hummed, getting serene with such dwindling ambience.

“So that we can right the wrongs, to feel and realize what we’ve never been before, or to learn lesson and I think, God had fated to send you here, to me.” He finally had someone to love, for such a child who hadn’t felt the slight affection in a family.

“My life was so hard,” she didn’t hesitate to refer it as a past.  “That I don’t have time to...like someone.” He chuckled as his long finger nudged the tip of his nose. His massive eyes, his sweet toothy grin, his baby roguishness, his delicate hair, his everything – she was going to miss that.

Because she knew that, not everything lasted. When the darkness fell, and her world came crashing down again, she knew that all of that would end, just so fleeting till she didn’t even recognize who was herself in the first place, where she derived from, or where would she return to after.

“Do you really think I’m lost?”

Chanyeol went the vein bobbed on her wrist. “Lost in time, I guess.”

She wasn’t spared the chance to deem on his words when he sled one arm under her neck and folded them close to each other, and he started to lean down, when hot lips slowly brushed against each other, then she was thrown to the space, where Chanyeol laid calm beneath her, supporting arms authoritatively against her ribs, and he finally casted the kiss away. “You wanna go home?”

She nodded so fervently that their noses kept bumping against each other. “Then we should go home together.” He stared into her eyes, and she didn’t look like she understood him from the start. “We’re just strangers with names here. We’ll strangers. We don’t each other from the start, but we try to acknowledge, and make friends, and to fit in.” Then he threw aside both of his arms. “Here, is the exact place where we leave them yesterday. As you’ve said, the place is completely the same, but the people aren’t.”

She was pretty jarred. “I thought, I’m the only one who faces that.”

“No, you aren’t. We all do. Time doesn’t move here. Although you think a month had passed, it’s your mentally logical measurement in this type of world. We’re just merely stuck in the moment, where the day goes by like usual, but tomorrow, it was totally the same day as today, yesterday, it’s just what you’re doing and the weather that change.”

“Then how’d you met your mother here?” He fiddled with her shirt, intrusively.

“She wasn’t my mother. She was just some stranger who happened to look like my Mum. It happens to your cousin. That actor does make a great clone.”

“Oh.” It was long. The world never age, so did the residents. So did us, she realized. “Why are we here?”

“I’ve been yearning to answer that question. We might have done something wrong, in our past. Why? Because I did.”

“What have you done?”

“I was attempting suicide in my father’s car. I drove too fast, it’s just the young kid’s craziness and it went passed the bridge and I was thrown into the sea.”

“You could’ve died.”

“I don’t die. I’m here, right?” He assured her, fixing the creases shaped on her forehead. “I’ve been here for so long, and I don’t even bother to count the days. Until you came that morning, I was feeling like I’d got the chance to live normally. And I start hoping.”

“Do we die here?”

“Of course we do. But, it’s complicated. There’s someone who jumped of cliff, but his body was never found, till nowadays. People can’t figure out that type of death.”

“Where do you think that person went to?”

The silence was slivered perilously, whipping up their thoughts all at once when both fell onto the land of regard. Their sensibility was pretty shaken.

“You don’t tell.”

 

Somehow, they turned out tightly bounded inside the car which was moving too fast for their own good, splitting in between the road to pass through, and the engines was revving up to life, too loud to fear on, too fast that the others was simply a sheer blur and it felt like things had shown no mercy, making them went crazy, tearing their soul apart, nothing could convince that the world not. Things were changing, it would, and Chanyeol was so sure that things would never change between them.

 

There was one thing that still the same, it was his heart, although he had gotten way, way fearless, nothing afraid him anymore and they, they had to go to that place, to get to that one, although some of them might still be in that place. They gonna make a change.

 

“We face together.” Her grasp topped up on his, clutching the gear together, changing to a high speed, battered through the metal railing, getting intoxicated. And off flying they went out the bridge, with their adrenaline surged through, thrilling. The current of the highway stopped all at once, staring, mumbling and dialling 911.

She couldn’t believe it was over, she watched the whole thing fell, and the time just slipped passed, and she wasn’t scared. This time, she won’t let the darkness won, cause they hadn’t done yet.

The last thing she knew was hugging Chanyeol.

 

And, he lulled to her, that we’d get lost together, and if the world was – good enough – we would meet.