Chapter 5

Stranger in Hongdae

 

A few days had passed by and Sunye had been reading books to kill times. Sleep had been something that she didn’t matter anymore with the same went on about her forming dark circles – dark circles had always been her trademark since she entered high school. Stress was a lot that she had ever noticed could do to her.

There was an advertisement in the television about the fair that she was looking for. She quickly jotted down the details regarding times and venue address since she didn’t know much about the twist and turn of Seoul apart from the Hongdae-street that she basically lived in at the time.

The fair was on Saturday, nine in the morning till six and she had rung Mr Seol that she couldn’t make it that day because of some illness that had attacked her household. She didn’t mean to lie; it was an excuse since doing Chanyeol’s favour seemed far more important at that time.

Poised in only a pale amber blouse and a simple skin-coloured khaki, she didn’t feel like she would be appreciated when Chanyeol looked at her, but that was the only comfortable wear that she could raid in the house. Minho’s used-to room was locked and it didn’t seem like she could fit in most of his shirts. She always thought that she would never fit in, in everything. It was funny though to be thinking of what he would think of her. He didn’t look like of a judging person.

She walked all the way there with the help of the note; the address was easy to navigate through – pretty convenient. The weather was nice, she was praising and nature looked promising much. She caught some conversation from the other visitors couple who talked about the fair came early this year although they loved to visit between May and June.

The music was blaring from the inside – it was exhilarating – as she had never been in a fair even for a single short visit. But that day she did. She stood herself in the aside the entrance way, careful not to get into other’s people way when someone gave a sudden tap on her shoulder.

“It’s such a shame for a guy like me, to have a pretty girl like you waiting for. May I?” He pointed to his chest and offered his big pale hand. He loved to smile widely.

“We aren’t coming here to have fun aren’t we?” She tersely remarked back as she held his hand only to put it back by his side. “Please have my time worth living. I’m doing your favour.”

Chanyeol was amused. “As you wish.” They matched paces in the crowd, not intending to enjoy every single amusement in the fair.

“I’ve been the police Interpol for a few years, so I’ve been investigating people identities. If I can know what what’s your last name is?”

“Choi, it’s Choi, the same like my cousin. I mean of course, we’re from the same family.” He eyed her whole expression when it fell again. As he had thought before, it was sensitive, but there was something in her left hand.

“You brought something?” She suddenly smiled at the realization.

“Yeah, I made some chocolate ganaches. I was meant to thank you anyway. There you go.” She held the small box out to him. She had learnt a lot of things these past few days, not to mention baking deserts and got impressed by Chris Orlando with his divine cuisines.

“Thanks. I don’t want to be rude.” The small box exchanged hands.

“You were saying?” She continued as they got closer with the flow of the crowds.

“That’s all I need to know. His last name. We might help you. Let’s hope for the best, and Sunye, you got to help me too.”

“With what?” It gave off and eerie vibe when as they just passed the Haunted House, where people went screaming and chanting things.

“You need to get me someone’s address. She’s the wife of your employer, that old man. Do you know where he lives?”  By courtesy of her, she shook disappointedly, didn’t want to ask further as it might spark suspicion between them as much as she hated to be some kind of busy-body being.

“So, you get me her address, I’ll work on the investigation. Deal?” He lied flat his palm in front of her.

“Deal.” Both of them intertwined their hands.

Chanyeol got an opportunity to get her a red balloon, and she called him silly but he didn’t probe as he took it up by offering some bonbon if she would like some, and Sunye would be Sunye, always turning down offers as those. It was just she just needed to ask this.

“Why are you doing this?” Her eyes were begging justice.

“What? Getting you bonbon?” With his pocket cheeks full, he acknowledged. “Balloon?”

“No...for helping me out.” Someone crashed into her shoulders and that pretty much urged to tumble her down but Chanyeol fetched her right in time, like he always did.

“Because you’re the most ridiculous human being that I’ve ever seen.” She was agape, and he stole the chance to put a piece of bonbon into which was way too big for the modest she could munch in front of a guy. “Stop being so tense around me. Shoulders laid,” he tap her shoulders soft, “back loose,” and emitted a subtle knock on her back, “and smile!”

For the first time in her life, she just knew that the one stood in front of her was a creature with weird ears and a very creepy grin all along.

She would be lying if she won’t be affected. She just didn’t want to admit it. She was grinning.

“I’m not ridiculous.”

“Yes, you are.” He nonchalantly leapt his cap backwards, sticking his tongue out. “You’re as rigid as the French girls, the most ridiculous things that I have ever seen. Just relax.” He momentarily peered at her, pointing out. “See, you’re smiling.”

“Don’t point at people, it’s rude.” It seemed like she couldn’t keep her lips to expand wider anymore, as her hand made a reflex move to backhand his fingers. “What a loose.”

“Hey, violence. Both verbally and the opposite.” He charily – half-joking – defended. “I’m not practising some combat skill am I?”

Her feature turned solemn. “I’m not actually serious.” She sent him a look which he replied back by denying that she didn’t precisely as serious anymore and her smile bloomed again. By the time, they had just hilted to a halt aside the photo booth where a chap in school uniform swaggered by too confidently, joining the crony of his other friends that was just not too far from here.

“I just don’t fit in where when your friends mix around, and you just don’t understand to what they are laughing for, or you’re always ousted the second the gossip starts. And, especially when you’re the strangest out of all, just coming to a new place, where you can’t fit in, where you have no friends.” Breath exhaled.

“I mean, I’m a person that goes through a lot of depression, and stress, and things like that. It’s just sometimes, I don’t know, why...I can’t seem to fit in my family. We often fight. Our father is the silent one. And I pity him to have to lead such bad children, some bad lavish, annoying and a rebel, child – like me.”

Chanyeol softened.

“So what’s the function to relax when you’re leading this type of life? Hm?” He stared straight into her, with those half-lidded eyes which were both looked comforting and appeasing. Her eyes were clear. There lied a concoction of honesty, with a thick layer of fleeting poignant. 

“Em, excuse me sir.” Her attention was stolen as Chanyeol greeted one of the men working at the booth. He had gotten there pretty fast with those long legs of him until she failed to realise that. “Do you have a spare pen? Can I borrow it for a while? Sure, thanks a lot.” He came back.

“What are you doing?” He smirked at himself as he recklessly took her hand and laid it flat upon his own, ignoring her question. She frowned as the pen tickled her flesh, as soon as he started writing something, with a pair of haste mumble that she couldn’t catch between his doodling – maybe the ink had problem coming out.

Unconsciously, she let out a sheepish cough.

“There!” He let her examined the numbers. “I’ll spread the craziness if you dial that numbers. Sorry no card. I don’t do business.” He ran back to return the pen. “Thanks again.” “No problem.”

“Just maybe, I’ll show you how to escape those things, and for once, to live.”