Chapter 3

Stranger in Hongdae

 

Sunye thought she might have gone crazy, or she really was, at the moment. She had searched for Minho, ton of times in the house since she got back from work, her first new job in this strange place with her as a stranger and all she met were strangers; no Minho, although at times like this, she was sure he should have gone back from his workplace.

This struck her emotion quite hard, with nobody to comfort which only left her in self- isolation, kneeling in the living room, facing the kitchenette, with tears streaming down her face as she continued clutching on her head. What have I gone through right now, she couldn’t stop muffling her dread with continuous pulling on her hair.

All was right before that night, everything was normal as she rose up this morning and Hongdae was usual like she and Minho had left for some honey garlic beef bulgogi, up to her success in finding a job as a keeper in an old bookshop. Every place that she had passed was normal, but the people didn’t look like she had ever met before, or ever thought to be imagining for one. That dreaded her. The people and the ambience had dreaded her much – with the loss of her Oppo also, holding her back from coming into access with her cousin.

She really had owed someone a very big explanation.

For a second, she was luring herself to the police’s.

 

“And you were saying?” The bulky man with strawberry-donut crumb in between his teeth attempted for heavenly three times, muffling his laugh which panned out like a squirm as a result. There was a mocking glint in his eyes.

“I woke up this morning and found my cousin missing, in this place with strange people.” He  clearly wanted to hear the word strange over and over again, when he couldn’t stop grinning with missing tooth at right end of his lower’s, at least, that was what he looked like when somebody tried to laugh with no sound. What a stink.

“And his name is?”

Sunye found little hope in his question.  “Minho. Choi Minho.” She couldn’t help but to have a smidgeon of overexcitement, as her tears slowly dried up, and a rosy glint started to form in the brim of her eyes. She hoped.

“Look, dear. The only Choi Minho in this town is that guy.” Her eyes followed his finger directing towards a beyond perfection poster of a guy with big eyes, bushy black hair and bangs, and a wide grin. “Well, he’s very popular you see. What a hero in To the Beautiful You would do to you right?”

She didn’t like the sound of it. Not even a word.

“Even my daughter can’t quit fanning over him.” He added, wondering how on earth he got that poster there. Her daughter might be sneaking in and out of his office pretty often.

“Sorry Sir, but I think you might be kidding.” She tried to be relevant. She didn’t want to show her depression or desperation to anyone, but shoving the words out consumed a lot of effort which she never fancied in doing so.

“Who’s kidding who, young woman? Minseok! Get this girl over here.” He shouted at one of his man at the entrance and the named Minseok appeared to be dumbfounded, but he got to register things fast enough.

“Aye, Sir!” He began to walk over to her as she warily eyed him.

“I’m sorry, miss. I can prove the Community Hall got undoubted information about the whole townspeople.” His faint chuckle distressed her more, as she pried herself not to swear and reminding herself that that wasn’t like her.

“You might belong to the asylum at the end of the town.” She frowned, struggling with strong grasp when Minseok dragged her out of the small room. This barely a station. This was a place with a whole of laughing hyenas when she told about her report.

“I’m telling you I’m not crazy. Hey! Let me go!” Rather brusquely, she was shoved outside of the entrance. She could catch some words about pity from the men inside, only to determine her to charge back inside.

She wanted Minho back. She loved him like her own brother. Who was she going to confide into after this? Who was going to deftly care and understand her?

“I told you miss, you’re prohibited here. We’re pity to have your cousin gone missing...” Minseok guy forbiddingly held her arms, only to be cut off by her grudging blip.

“But you’re the only one that can help me to bring him back! Who am I going to turn up to?”

She never felt the knackery in her life for struggling with a big man who had both strong arms.  She couldn’t stop being unrelentingly defiant and it was between parochial for the police.

“Uh God, maybe. Now look, your place is over there.” He stopped for a minute to point to the end of the town. “Get the hell out of here!” barked him.

She was shoved hard, real hard this time. Only God knew how the feeling when you were going to be crashed to the ground that was far cry from soft and feathery. Funnily enough, she attempted to take in the fact that she was currently holding onto an arm that wholly wrapped up her waist.

“Have some respect.” The guy whose arm was like a belt finally spoke. Minseok spared him a curt nod.

“Chanyeol.”

“I’m stopping by to my lead to visit the head chief.” He asked for permission, gradually loosening his arm. Sunye faltered away, rumples on her shirt and affliction was obvious on her face.

“He’s inside.” They shared a nod and a few men marched inside, brisk and calm.

Chanyeol turned to her. “I saw you last morning.” He tried to check upon her reaction but she seemed immensely distracted with something else. “When I was cruising Hongdae Street. I can tell, you’re up pretty early.”

She was betting to give some eye connection but believe it, she was bad at that, especially with the opposite . “Yeah. I’ve some work to do.” She didn’t even glance at him – head ducked, eyes rooted to the ground, hearts temperamentally shook.

“So, what are you doing here? It’s late.” He eyed her fighting with , whether to reveal the whole thing or not. He didn’t mean to meddle into her problem, but he pitied her. Much to say as an excuse.

“I’ve got to go. Thank you for your concern, sir.”

The only thing that intrigued her was his ears, in between those well-combed hair – Yoda could have got another pair. She couldn’t say it odd since it was rude, but eccentric would do.

Little did she knew, Chanyeol was following her steps, accompanying her very far, far behind as she walked home.