Chapter 1

Stranger in Hongdae

 

She never asked them to be all happy and mushily-loving-each-other type of family, but she just hoped that they would stop this whole thing, where one’s behaviour led to others and that just went on like a ticking clock. It wound and wound and continued on back to the same place all over again. Fighting, shouting, cursing and fighting again. And she left.

 She was adamant and cold as she stepped out of the door, sparing an askew glance behind the closed door as the lighted windows shadowing her mother’s usual bicker with his useless brother. That brat should get a job soon. Or he would just decide to live under the bridge and stop imposing mum and dad for that, she thought. She really had a spite for him.

With shoulder tensed, she wound her way, determined on where she would go.

 

“You. Are. Kidding.” Minho placed a hand on his lips. The crickets sound was somehow heard momentarily.

“I’m sorry. I've no place to head for.”

He held the door wider and stepped aside. “Except to mine. Nah...Come in.”

That was why she was kind of have a shine to him. He always sounded and looked welcoming no matter how, despite to his nature who was down to earth and always shrugged the matter off just like that because he knew, there was useless to budge the fact.

“Yo got something to eat?” said her while wandering off to the kitchen after dropping her phone on the sofa in the living room. For such a bachelor like Minho, the stock of food was scarce. 

“You don’t say you’re coming and now you’re asking food?” He spared a pointed glance at her back who was peeping up the higher cabinet, hoping for something edible to roll out but none coming to her view.

“The answer is obvious.” She silently chuckled as her stomach grumbled once again after she left her home without having some dinner.

“Now, now, don’t go peeping on my kitchenette or you’ll find a rat falling on your head.” He casually shrugged while thinking that he looked like he got some burden to bear from now on. Sunye folded her hand behind and her shoulder looked tensed again as her eyes follow the tall guy weaving his way to his room and came out minutes later.”Prepare yourself, we’re going out.”

“Where are you going?” She caught his side.

We, you heard me. I don’t want your tummy sounds like monster when I’m trying to sleep tonight.”

“Woah, you serious?!”

“Thank you for becoming my burde...Hey!” Before he could finish his sentence, a quick kiss landed on his cheek.

“I’m always ready for this.” She casually dragged him out of the door with a heavenly cackle.

“Don’t tell my girlfriend.”

In contrary, he was trying so hard to restrain himself from telling ‘I hope you would get fat’ on her face. He managed to keep an annoyed face as he let himself be dragged like a dog. He never actually minded though. The one who she would always looked for when there was something off with her was him, no matter what. So he, never minded that.

 

The chill bit as a gush of wind slapped. People crowded closely to one another as if warmth could rise to the atmosphere. Though, the night still way chiller than before even in the beef restaurant.

“I was going to go to the ramen ahjumma actually, but since I haven’t eat...” The muffle in his voice almost made her didn't hear his sarcasm. He always sounded like that. Thoughtlessly, she perceived around the place – warm. That was what she needed for the moment.

“You should get a job.” Minho started.

“Huh?” The honey garlic beef was half away to be shoved into . The smoky dish washed over her held back face. Stunt for a while. Not exactly.

As if he was the cause of her lose appetite, he motioned her to continue eating. “Dig more. I was just kidding.” The ambiance changed as he began to laugh. The other visitors resonated his laugh, making him barely inaudible once again. He offhandedly sighed and swiped the soy sauce shed on the sleek maple table with a tissue.

“Don’t spill your food.” He gave her a knowing look. She won’t realize it if it wasn't him who rebuked, much to his nature for a clean freak. He knew most of her behaviour who constantly off to her world without giving a smidgeon of attention to her surrounding and anybody around.

“Minho...,” continued her as she finished munching her last bulgogi pieces and swallowed. “Me too, know that I should get a job. It’s just, I know that I can’t survive here, in Seoul without a job.”

“That’s what exactly I’m trying to tell.”

“You don’t have to try. I know it.” Chopsticks clanked when he put them down on the dish. The conversation ended as he left a couple of notes on the table.

The restaurant was just a triple of blocks away from Minho’s place. On their way back, she caught a glance at a coffee house where she managed to visit last winter holiday for a cup of caramel latte with her small cash in jean’s pocket – cost about 2500 won. That guy at the counter. She remembered him. That cashier guy with suave hair was mindlessly wiping the window with bored face. The light inside the shop was dimmer than in the restaurant  they had just left, but, it looked different – more warmth, warmer and alive.

There were another few guys inside. About three. All of them were doing the cleaning together. That one who was wiping the table suddenly threw off the towel at the guy who just mopped under several chairs. There was a tall one, meant, taller one out of them, accidentally fell a cup and that caught the whole attention, making him the center of laugh and while the other pointing fingers at the mess with him being hit continuously. How can they acted like a family. That was what they called alive, even in the chill or perhaps in the dark night where people usually shoot for stars, but they, shoot for nothing but laughter.

 

“Don’t touch anything breakable while you’re here. Remember that.” He showed her a decent room. “This is your bedroom from now on, do you have any spare clothes?”

“No...” She looked innocent, surprisingly for someone who had the guts to run away from home.

“Oh yes, I forget. You’re not coming here for a holiday. For winter break? Yes. That’s why you must have a job. I’m lending you my pjs, if you can fit in, shortie.”

“That would be convenient.” He held out a pair of thick pyjamas and she took it, grateful – never minding the cynical so-like compliment. At least, she got something for a spare change for the night.

“I've turned the heater on, so good night. Enjoy your first winter night here, I guess.” He pushed himself off the wall and turned the hallway’s light off as the door closed with a slow thud. “Night.”

She snuggled into the warm piece of clothes, praying that all would be alright. The snow flakes were still obvious sprinkling on her jacket, and she shook them off after stripping out of it.

There was an hourglass at the end of the room. It stood still, of course. No sand stuck in the middle, or waiting to flow down little by little. Since she hadn't switch the light off, the sand looked strong, its colour, was strong, plus with a smear of golden hue streaking round. That finally came into contact with her hand, for its attract. The glass glistened when it caught the light from outside the window. She looked out as the lamppost had just gleaned.

Giving a final touch by overturning the sand clock, she dove under the budget duvet and fell into a deep slumber.