02.

Forgotten

It was embarassing. I shouldn't have reacted to my sudden curiousity. I can't erase the look from that boy after I blurted out a random question. Perhaps, do you know me? Am I even sane enough to be released from the hospital.

I quicken my pace because of remembering that incident. It plays like a broken video, over and over again inside my head. And it upsets me how I remember only that incident but nothing from my past. It's not fair. I don't want a new memory replacing my old ones, atleast until I make sure those old ones are not worth keeping up. Like I can remember. Like I can recognize every detail of who I was and what life I've lived. Can I really do that?

I hate how the air still smell so strange to me it's suffocating. And the sky still looking so blue like nothing is affected by me losing my memories. I don't turn to be a stupid looking person ofcourse. Everything about my cognitive skill, I think, still is the same. I still can do a good job as a reporter, journalist. I still get praises from my senior for my reporting skills and sharp articles I wrote for a past few months after I woke up in the hospital that day. Everything will be okay, will be fine if I'm not curious enough about my lost memories. If I didn't find a piece of paper written an address of my old house. And here I am for the sake of a bit of my past life which I can't remember, returning to hometown tasting every piece of memories from my childhood that still lingering somewhere in my brain, in my soul. Maybe they will bring back those parts which are missing.

My phone rings. It's Lee Soohyun. I can't bring myself to answer her call. I can't when I don't even remember her. She told me she was my bestfriend but I forget her. She suppose to be someone matters to me if she is really my bestfriend. And I shouldn't forget people who matters to me. But oh well I even forget my apartement's password, which is one of my personal things I should have never forgotten but I did. My phone stops ringing. I'm relieved somehow. She can't find out where I am right now or even just asking how was my day. Am I having some difficulties adjusting myself with everything, to start from the begining all over again. I know she's concerned. But I can't just sit back and pretending it is okay when obviously I know there's something wrong, here in my head. I turn off my phone so she can't reach me, atleast after I can finally get a clue from my past.

While being in Seoul was just too strange for me. Here in Busan, though it feels a bit odd, I sense some familiar feelings walking through the street and looking at the buildings. It's too soon to mention it but I think I'm home. I can still hear the laughters from my childhood friends. It's terrifyingly calming. Those memories as if tell me to calm down because I will return all those which are missing soon. I'm glad.

My legs lead me to the path they remember, the direction my head forgets. Turn left, climb the ladder, turn right, go straight. I arrive in front of a house with yellow fence. The paint is flaked. It' an old house without a tenant I guess. I touch the fence. I just did unconsiously. It feels like I know. It feels like I understand this abandoned house.

"It's fascinating right, how this old house connect to you?" a voice told me.

I turn my head to see the owner of that voice.

"It has the magic to speak when it supposed to be just a house you know," she smiles, "Don't worry. It happens to me as well."

She's just my-shoulder-lenght tall. I think she's an elementary student judging from her uniform, International School of Busan. With two cute ponytails hanging on her head she smiling from ears to ears when I look at her. She looks far matured for kids around her age. Something in her eyes says it to me, that she has suffered and survived. Something convlicted can be seen from her eyes.

"I'm sorry," she waves to wake me up frome zoning out, "I'm sorry. It must be awkward for you to find a stranger talking like I did."

She scratches her her head from the awkwardness surrounding us.

"I'm Kim Hanbyul, 7th grade student of International School of Busan. I live in the house beside this house," she points at the blue painted house, "How about eonni?"

She's too bubbly. I'm flustered.

"I.... I'm..."

"Kim Hanbyul! What are you doing there?" a graceful voice calls for the kid, "And who is that you are talking to?"

That women comes closer. I turns to bow at her. She looks a little bit confuse after seeing my face. "Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Hayi imnida."

She looks shocked after I introduce myself. Suddenly she pulls me into a tight embrace. She starts crying. I give a look to this women's daughter but she just shrugs her shoulder knowing nothing about the reason of her mom action. I try to calm her down. She finally lets me. She caress my cheek. "Lee hayi? It's really you?"

I nod.

"It's me Hanbin's mom. Don't you remember me? This is baby Hanbyul," she touches the kid's shoulder, "you remember us right?"

"I.... I.... I lost my memory. I'm sorry but I don't know you or this kid or Hanbin whatever his name."

She searches for my eyes to cormfirm what I've just blurted out. She seems like doesn't get it yet. 

"I come here in order to get my memory back. I'm glad that I met you because you seem to know me."

She frowns. "You lost your memory? But why?"

"It's a long story."

"Well I'm willing to hear it. Let's get inside first okay."

I shouldn't just trust a stranger though. But I follow her. I follow her like I've known her for years. I tell her my story. I tell her I woke in a hospital few months ago and completely losing my memories. I tell her I only remember my childhood. I tell her I am a reporter. I tell her the reason I came to Busan. I tell her everything left with me. She's just sitting there across the table hearing all my story with her daughter beside her. Sometimes she tells me she was sorry she didn't able to contact me all of these years. But why? Why she is sorry? She also feels sorry for me with this losing memories incident that happebs to me. She blames herself because she didn't take me with her instead when I transferred to an orphanage. She tells me about my childhood. About me and his son, Kim Hanbin. She said I was his bestfriend. Another bestfriend I don't remember.

"Do you remember that incident?" she asked my with doubtful looks.

She doesn't have to explain where this topic is heading to. I know. I know it too well it flinches my heart a bit. The day Mom and Dad's lives were taken away by mysterious guys who came to our house. Also the day Seunghoon oppa was gone, nowhere to be found. And I hate it because I remember every detail of that incident. It hurts. 

"Yes, I remember."

"Do you by chance......" she said before was cut by a sound.

"Mom! Hanbyul! I'm home!"

The kid jogs a little to approach him. I think that is Hanbin. A bestfriend that I dont remember.

"That's Hanbin. You must greet him. He will be very excited to meet you again."

I follow her without a sound. But when I finally get to see his face I'm surprised. He's the boy from earlier. My cheeks burning from the embarrasement. He looks at me with a big question mark draws on his face. "Who is she, mom?"

"Guess who is she?" she asked him playfuly, "She's Lee Hayi!"

"Anyyeonghaseyo, Lee Hayi imnida." I bows.

"Lee Hayi?"