05.

Forgotten

I wave my hand at him, letting him know I am here. He runs a little to reach where I stand, smiling. I wonder what makes him happy. It's absolutely not the weather. It's been raining hard since I took the bus earlier. Maybe it's the handkerchief I am about to return to him. Maybe it's actually a precious thing to him and he's glad that I didn't bring it away to Seoul with me. Or I am wrong all this time. He's not smilling because he's happy. He smiles because that's what people do when they meet people. It's not an act of kindess or expression of joy, it's a normal thing normal people do.

"So, thank you for this," I hand him his handkerchief, "and thank you because you still recognize me despite maybe... we haven't been in touch for such a long time. A lot of things had happened to me in such a short time. And it's hard for not knowing who you are while people around you keep telling you that they know  you. It 'aight?"

"It's ok. It's ok to feel not ok I guess," he smiles, "so what's your plan for next?"

"I don't know.....," I look away after suddenly feeling hollow inside, "I don't..... have plans. But for now, I'm going back to Seoul with the latest train tonight. At least, I get to go home even though I don't know where my home truly is."

"Going home, huh?" he looks down and smiles. But it is not the smile he showed me earlier when he found me from the crowd. It has rather a sad feeling hanging at the corner of his lips.

"Maybe.... I said I didn't know where my home truly is, didn't I?"

"Yes," he looks up, bringing his eyes back to mine. "Err... I... I have to go back to work."

"No, you're not. It's break time, you told me when we were on phone." I smile knowingly. I know that he gave such a lame excuse because the tense he felt, as I do too. "Do you want to go out and grab some lunch with me? I have some things to ask to you."

He goes red knowing I had catch him lied. Nevertheless he nods and nervously says, "o... o... ofcourse."

We are walking side by side in silent. I don't want to start a conversation until we sit somewhere to eat our lunch later. Therefore I don't have anything to talk about right now. Feeling stuffed with the tense I feel between me and him, I try to look around. It must be nice to grow up in this city. The air is different with Seoul, people are actually enjoy their walk instead rushing it, lots of trees, and the sun doesn't hurt me in here. The sun hits me gently in here. I must've liked this city a lot back then.

"You know.... that building," he points his finger to an old looking but well-maintained building, "is our highschool. We used to go there together every morning. I always was the one who should pick you up because you were a sleepyhead."

He smiles while looking at his shoes.

"Really?" I stop and stare at the building. "I guess we used to be good friends."

"I guess we were."