03.

Forgotten

"This is you two standing in front of my house," Mrs. Kim said pointing an old picture of me and her son. We held hands. I smile like I was sure I would never forget that moment, he did it too. I feel a sense of remorse. If I didn't leave Busan like what Mrs. Kim told me, I wouldn't had lost my memories. I would had recognized this boy who couldn't shift his gaze from me since earlier. I can feel his gaze radiating through my face. 

"I'm sorry but I can't remember anything," guilt starts to rise inside me, "I.. I think I have to go now. I'm sorry to disturb you all."

"You can stay here if you want. Besides, it's already dark outside." Mrs. Kim said. If she wasn't someone I can't remember I would say yes right away. But she's just like a stranger who I happen to pass by the street whether she's someone I used to know or not. 

"No, it's okay. I have reserved a room at a hotel, I can't cancel it. Thank you for all of this, goodbye."

"I... I can take you there." he said. He's finally saying something. After all the quiet treatment he gave me, he's saying something. I could hear his voice begged me to allow him. I can see a sincerity in his eyes though he looks away when I fix my gaze onto his. I almost fall for that. I almost say yes. I can't whether I feel my chest gets stuffed by looking at this family. I feel a strange connection between me and this family. It's complicated. Too complicated I don't feel like to get involved with them even if they're one of the keys to get my memories back. I will find another way. 

"I'm sorry to say this despite all of your help. I know you're all just trying to help but you have to know that currently I can't remember any of you. A..and it's, to be honest, hard for me to trust you all though you were saying the truth. I hope you can understand me. So, goodbye."

With that I excuse myself. I don't know what's gotten into me that I'm feeling uneasy right now. I don't usually get my feelings involved with some strangers. I usually build a wall but with them, I can feel something comfortable inside my chest. Something warm, something like family that I feel guilty for not trusting them. 

I sit myself by the time I reached the bus stop. It's still in a rush hour so there are so many people passing. Some are on their phone, some are chatting with their companies. They look human. And I look like a ghost. I am haunting my past within my present. 

If I could shut all the noises I hear right now, I would. I am angry with that girl who's laughing at her firend's jokes. I am angry for that kid who is kissed by his mom after giving him a flower. I am angry with the kid beside me who's too aroused with his smartphone. I am angry and confused. I can feel my eyes getting hot. And my eyelashes tightly holding upon the tears that's b eyes. I hope no one sees me. 

I blink my eyes. The tears fall recklessly and merciless. I sob in silent. I let my tears fall. I don't care anymore if people judge me when they see me. I just want to cry. 

"Don't cry." 

I look up to the hand who offer me a handkerchief. It's him. Of all the people I've met today, he's the last person I want to see me crying like one helpless person. His face looks red and his breath is uneven. He looks like he has been running here, or he probaby did. I stop crying and unconsiously take his offer. I wipe my tear with it. 

I hand his handkerchief back.

"Such a manner you have here. You should atleast get it clean then hand it back," he looks hesitant, "can I borrow your phone?"

"What for...."

"Just give me your phone." he said demandingly.

He takes my phone right away when I hand it. He types of something I don't quite sure about. 

"Here," he hands me back my phone, "that's my phone number. I saved it as Kim Hanbin. When you done getting my handkerchief clean you can call me. I'm sorry I don't give you a proper introduction. My name is Kim Hanbin. I'm twenty four by the next october and I'm one of the men working behind that building."

He bows and excuse himself. I'm just standing in silent after what he did to me. Suddenly the cold air turns warmer each blow it hits me.

#########

Lee Hayi? The girl I've waited to come back is here right now. Standing before my eyes. Am I dreaming?

"Lee Hayi?"

There's no response from her. She looks confuse. 

"She lost her memories, Hanbin-ah." mom said.

I lost my words. Losing her memories. What happens to you Hayi-ah?