Tug of Hearts

Love Locked Down

          Sitting on a table at the school canteen, Kris awaits for Baekhyun's arrival. He was already at the gates earlier when he received a text from Baekhyun telling him that his classes in the morning were cancelled because his Professors went in a convention thus, he will go to school after lunch. But Baekhyun insisted to meet him at the canteen by lunchtime so they can eat lunch together just as he promised. Kris was so much looking forward for lunch to come that he barely listened to his own classes and sprinted off to the canteen like a marathon athlete when the bell rang. It took Kris at least ten minutes of intense searching over the crowd of people going in when his eyes finally spotted their target. Baekhyun is covered in an oversized pink sweater and tight khaki pants, with a fluffy white scraf and a blue beanie to complete the look. Kris thinks it's unfair how Baekhyun looks cute in anything and how he can take his breath away so effortlessly. He stands up and wait till Baekhyun's searching eyes tilt on his direction. Kris waves his hand and signaled Baekhyun to come over and join him. 

"Hi!!! Did you wait long?", Baekhyun asks Kris as he takes the seat opposite him.

"No, my classes just ended a while ago. Are you hungry? Want me to buy you something?"

"No. We're sharing your packlunch right? Now where is it?"

Kris digs inside his bag and fishes out his packlunch bag, Baekhyun excitedly opens it and instantly revels at the sight. Seeing Baekhyun's reaction made Kris remember too late that his butler had just restocked their groceries yesterday, thus, he had prepared him a "special" lunch today. Tenderloin steak cooked well-done with mixed vegetables and some honeydews, watermelon and grapes for dessert. 

"Seriously Kris, is your packlunch always like this? Or just because i told you beforehand that i'm sharing it with you and you're only trying to impress?", Baekhyun teases.

Not that it's true but Kris would do anything just to get away from it. "You could say that", he lies.

"I brought mine too but it's not as fab as yours", Baekhyun pouts.

Kris reached for his bag and digs it out himself. Turned out Baekhyun brought some honeyed chicken and tukbokki.

"Did you cooked them?"

"Yeah, i usually cook when i had time, like earlier. Nothing can beat my home-cooking skills, your steak can't even compare", Baekhyun jokes.

Kris opens his mouth and lets out an "Ahhh..." but closes it frustratedly as Baekyun made no move to feed him.

"Hey, you're supposed to feed me!!", he demands.

"And why would i do that?"

"Because you're my boyfriend?", Kris said and then he tries again. "Ahhh..."

Baekhyun takes a piece of the honeyed chicken and shoves it to Kris' mouth, making the other choke in the process. Baekhyun laughs out loud over him, his eyes turning crescents, and Kris think he would definitely not mind looking hilarious if that's what it would take just to make Baekhyun laugh over and over.

 

            Kris is too busy sorting the files that Mr. Shin suddenly requested him to during the last minutes of his duty, leaving him no choice but to overtime. He was too pre-occupied that he forgot to inform Baekhyun that he can't fetch him after it's classes, and he also didn't heard the soft knocks at the door. Baekhyun comes in, holding a pile of papers. He accidentally bumped with the guidance councilor at the school corridor upon his haste of leaving after class, sending the papers he's holding to fly around them. He helps him pick it up and apologizes for the hassle. Mr. Shin told Baekhyun that if he's really sorry, then he should be the one bringing those papers into his office because he's in a hurry. When in reality, Mr. Shin is only trying to play cupid to help his assistant. Mr Shin triumphally smiles as he watched Baekhyun heading to his office.

And so there Baekhyun is now, putting down the papers at the councilor's table. He spotted a movement from the racks and his eyes widen. How could he have forgotten that Kris is actually Mr. Shin's assistant? The latter seemed oblivious to his presence, not even paying him a glance. Baekhyun silently walkes and stand behind Kris, debating with himself on how to startle the poor guy right. Kris is currently propped on a tool, stocking papers at higher racks. He might've sensed Baekhyun as he suddenly turned around, eyes meeting Baekhyun's shocked ones, unblinking. Kris' knees melted upon the eye contact, making him stumble over the stool he's standing at and fall straight into Baekhyun. Baekhyun fell flat on his back, his breath was knocked out of him as the huge form of Kris squeezed him.

"Oh my god, are you ok Baek?", Kris asks, face obviously worried.

"I'll be better if you get off me, you know."

Kris moved a little, enough to take his weight off Baekhyun but not completely. Their upper bodies are still trapped with each other, faces too close. Kris' gaze flickers from Baekhyun's face until they rested on his lips. Baekhyun gulped as Kris started to lessen the little distance between their faces, his eyes closing. He felt their noses bumping and he could smell Kris' minty breath and it's more exhilirating than scary, Baekhyun thinks. He awaits for the liplock moment but it never came. Baekhyun's eyes opened as he felt Kris getting up, reaching a hand ho help him up. There's an awkward silence between them, Baekhyun's cheeks are on fire, feeling too embarassed with himself and left the office without a word. It took a minute for Kris to come into his senses, picking up the white scarf Baekhyun had left upon his haste and run after him, but he's already too late coz Baekhyun's too far gone.

 

             After the office incident, Baekhyun didn't get to see Kris the next day. Not that he cares, he tries to tell himself as he crosses the lobby of his work building. His hands carrying his helmet and the packages that he  needed to deliver today. Baekhyun reports to work as courier deliverer during saturday and sundays. It wasn't his type of job to be honest but the pay is good enough and he enjoys traveling from places to places so it's all good. He's walking into where his motorcycle is parked, only to stop midway because there's someone leaning on it, and it wouldn't take a genius to guess who it is because even just his back is already painfully familiar to Baekhyun. He stopped breathing when Kris his direction and automatically burst into his flashy gummy smile. Baekhyun had to drag himself towards his motorcycle (not to Kris ok?) and pretend he's not getting affected. It was hard for him though because the moment he saw Kris, memories of what happened to them at the guidance councilor's office washed over him instatntly. And it's also quite unfair that Kris is still smiling to him so brightly like nothing had happened whereas he is being as conscious as hell.

"Hi!! Good morning Baek!!", Kris greets him.

"What are you doing here?", Baekhyun said, tone cold. He busies himself stuffing all the parcels he had to deliver at the back compartment of his motorbike.

"I'm here to help you."

"Who said i need your help?"

"But i want to."

"Just because you want to doesn't mean i'll let you. Look Kris, i'm working here ok? I've got no time playing with you so if you please excuse me, you're blocking my way." Baekhyun hops in his motorbike and starts the engine, but Kris grips on his steering, not letting Baekhyun go.

"Goddamnit Kris, what are you doing?!", Baekhyun snarls

"I'd like to come with you", Kris pleads.

"Can't you see that i'm working? And this ain't a roadtrip you can just hitch on!", Baekhyun said, irritated.

It still doesn't stop Kris from rummaging his bag, digging out his own helmet and putting it on. Then he lifts Baekhyun to move him a little forward so he could make a space for himself in between Baekhyun and his motorbike's back compartment.

"I'm going to be your assistant today and that's final.", Kris said from behind Baekhyun, his breath tickling Baekhyun's nape, their bodies close.

Baekhyun knows it would be pointless to argue with Kris now when he's being this stubborn and he's far too irritated himself on having to dwell with Kris' childishness, so he starts on his engine and drove off to his first delivery, acting nonchalant as Kris holds on both sides of his waist for leverage as they hit the road. They arrived their first stop after fifteen minutes, Baekhyun hops off and rummages into the compartment for the parcels before sprinting inside the building, leaving Kris alone. It kept repeating, making Kris feel neglected or perhaps useless is the right term. It's already close to noon and they're at their 7th stop when Kris finally snaps.

"Are you just gonna ignore me the whole day? It's like i'm not even here now", Kris whines.

"I told you i don't need your help, it's not my fault you're hard-headed", Baekhyun snaps. He's carrying 5 little boxes and a couple of document parcels when Kris grabbed the boxes to carry them himself and let Baekhyun lead the way as he follows behind, feeling useful for the first time. Kris didn't fail to notice the looks of admiration from the faces of people they walk into. Baekhyun seemed already used to that kind of attention but Kris isn't, making him uncomfortable.

Afterwards, they were at the elevators when it stopped on the 6th floor then a tall chinese-looking male with a prominent dimple on his left cheek steps in, his face suddenly lit up as he saw Baekhyun.

"Baekhyun?!", the stranger says, quite unsure. Baekhyun takes one look at the stranger and his face lits up too.

"Yixing?!", Baekhyun exclaims. The stranger nods and smiles so blindingly, tugging Baekhyun in a hug.

"Look at you, you're all grown-up now", Yixing jokes.

Baekhyun slightly punches his shoulder. "Yeah right, you're only slightly taller than me now, you can't call me midget anymore."

The two burst into a merry laughter. Kris watching the scene unfold in front of him just clenches his fist in irritation (no, he's not jealous, he's just feeling a bit pissed off being neglected by the two) he tries to convince himself. Yixing finally notices him and asks Baekhyun.

"Are you with him?", Yixing points at Kris making Baekhyun remember he's got company.

"Oh yeah right", Baekhyun tugs on Kris' arm a little and continues, "This is Kris, my... uhm... friend. He's playing assistant to me today", Baekhyun says, quite unsure if his choice of words are correct, avoiding Kris' squinting eyes. "Kris, this is Yixing, my highschool bestfriend."

Yixing smiles at Kris, extending his hand for a handshake. Kris takes his hand, fighting the urge to squeeze it hard. Just then, the elevator door opens as they reach the lobby.

"Let's have lunch together, my treat", Yixing proposes. Baekhyun agrees instantly, joking he'll order the most expensive dish.

"You're invited too", Yixing tells Kris. Kris definitely doesn't want to be treated out (especially not by someone he doesn't know) but he just can't let them be alone together so he came along.

He kind of regrets it though just as fifteen minutes into the lunch and he feels so downright outcast already, poking at his food, his eyes rolling as he listens to Baekhyun and Yixing's chatter, mostly about their past and some catching up with their current lives. Kris was still busy poking his food that he barely heard Yixing asking him something, Yixing expectantly waits for his reply. 

"I'm sorry i didn't hear you, come again?", Kris asks Yixing. Baekhyun stands up and attempts to cover Yixing's mouth but fails, Yixing turning his head away from Baekhyun's reach as he looks at Kris and repeats his question. 

"I'm asking you if Baekhyun is dating someone right now?"

"Why would you want to know?"

"So i can probably set him up with my friends if he's not. This guy's been single for God knows how long."

"You still haven't changed Yixing, you've always like it playing the matchmaker", Baekhyun pouts.

"It's because you're incredulously picky. I only want the best for my bestfriend", Yixing shrugs.

"So what do you think about me? Will i be good enough?", Kris asks Yixing, reaching out to hold Baekhyun's hand resting at the table.

Baekhyun's eyes widen as he look at Kris, mouthing a "Are you crazy?!" to him and tries to pull out his hand but Kris' grip is firm, his face serious.

Yixing cackles. "I knew it! So that is why you've been glaring at me all this time. Yah Baekhyun, you could've told me so you know, why hide it anyway?"

"It's not like that.. I'm not.. We're not..", Baekhyun stutters, lost for words.

"We're not yet official and we're still getting to know each other but we're geting there", Kris said.

"You actually look good together, i hope you get his yes sooner", Yixing winks at Kris.

"Hey, are you selling me now huh? Is he your bestfriend here?", Baekhyun pouts.

"No Baek, i'm only trying to tell him he's got my approval", Yixing teases and Kris grins.

           Yixing walks back into his office after luching out and exchanging numbers with Baekhyun, and he even promised to hang-out with them again sometime so they can meet his boyfriend too.

Baekhyun climbs into the motorbike, puts his helmet on and starts the engine. Kris just stood there debating with himself.

"What's wrong?" asks Baekhyun. Kris suddenly lifts him up and deposits him to the back seat, taking over the steering.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"I'll drive. You've been driving half the day Baek, let me take over."

"Do you even know how to drive?"

"Ofcourse"

"Do you know where we're going?"

Kris wishes Baekhyun's motorbike got a GPS monitor to make his life easier. "No, but you can just tell me where to turn and lead me till we get to each of them."

"But Kris..."

"Just drop it Baekhyun."

"Fine.. You'll be paying dinner if we get lost."

"I'd love that."

Baekhyun concedes. One hand gripping Kris' shirt and the other holding the back rear for balance.

"You'd fall over if you won't hold on to me", Kris warns. He took both of Baekhyun's hands and hooks them to both sides of his waist, silently smiling as Baekhyun grips his waist. But he's still feeling scared that Baekhyun will fall-off (or more likely, he's still not contented with that kind of physical contact) so he needs to make him hold tighter to him. He pulls on his hands until he's got Baekhyun's arms knotted in his middle.

"There, much better, you're safer this way", Kris assures Baekhyun. They set off to their next destination, Kris grinning from ear to ear. He didn't notice that Baekhyun's been watching him from the rearview mirror, Kris' manic grin tugging a smile on his lips too so Baekhyun just let it happen.

 

          They were at their last delivery, Kris holds his breath as they stop at the entrance of their own building, the Wu Enterprises. He didn't help Baekhyun deliver the parcels this time, afraid of being recognized by their employees and get his cover blown just as that. He's not yet ready, not like this. So he just kept his helmet on while waiting for Baekhyun to return. Just then, Jongdae appears by his side, reminding him of the occasion later.

"Young Master, i'm just reminding you that we have to be home by 7, the party starts at 8." Kris mumbles something but his butler can't understand it, his voice muffled by his helmet so he took it off before repeating his words.

"Do i really have to go?"

"It's a must that you come Young Master. It's an exclusive gathering of CEOs and their heirs, you just can't let your parents go without you."

Kris sighs. "Fine, meet me again later after i send Baekhyun home", Kris says, dismissing Jongdae. Jongdae bows and returns to his car.

Kris is still on his deep thoughts about the event he's gonna attend later that he didn't notice the confused stares the employees are giving him as they walk into him. Some might've recognized him as they bow into him and Kris bows back. One even greeted him brightly with a "Good evening Mr. Wu!!" and that is when Baekhyun comes out of the building, witnessing the exchange. He saw a couple more employees greeting Kris before he reaches behind him. Kris is obviously startled, his brain going on overdrive for an excuse to what Baekhyun had seen.

"Let's go?!", Baekhyun says, climbing up behind Kris.

Kris sighs in relief. "Where to now?", he asks.

"Back to the office, will return this motorbike and get my own."

Kris is even humming while driving, feeling contented with Baekhyun's arms clinging on him. Whilst Baekhyun is busy trying to figure out what he saw earlier and the sudden panic he saw on Kris' face meant.

            "Are you sure you'll be fine here?", Baekhyun asks Kris as he drops him off at the bus stop.

"Yeah, i'll just take the bus from here to my apartment block", Kris lies, handing his helmet to Baekhyun.

"Alright then, thanks for today Kris, take care!!"

"You're welcome, see you at school."

Baekhyun haven't reached the stoplight yet when he notices Kris' helmet resting on his lap. He makes a quick u-turn, just in time when the bus arrived. He was about to call out Kris when he saw it happen. Kris, instead of climbing up the bus makes his way to the car behind the bus. The man from the driver's seat emerges just to open up the passenger's seat door for Kris, bowing as he did so and Kris gets in. Baekhyun could only watch their car scurrying away, feeling dumbfounded by what he just saw.

 

            Kris loosens up his tie and opens up the top two buttons of his dress shirt, inhaling deeply. Luckily, he was able to sneak out from the party and into the balcony to get some fresh air. He was already getting tired of the repititive introductions and endless business-related chatter to which he really has no interest of. He'd rather lay on his bed and think about the day he had with Baekhyun than mingle with all of these rich people, Kris thinks to himself as he stares at the stars. Jongdae suddenly appears, cutting him off his trance.

"Master, you need to comeback now, the awarding of your parents is almost next and then you shall be formally introduced on the stage. We can already leave after that", Jongdae adds quickly as he saw Kris rolling his eyes in exasperation. 

"Fine, just promise me we'll leave right away huh?"

"I promise."

Kris smiles at Jongdae, knowing that his butler would save the day for him. 

            His parents were awarded the 'best entrepreneurs of the year' coz of their many business expansions and excellent services. His dad gives his speech and calls him out to introduce him to everyone at the party.

"May i introduce to you my only son, Kris Wu, who will inherit all these and hopefully do an even better job than me in handling our business in the mere future.", his dad chuckles as he pats his shoulder.

Everybody applauded. Kris bows to his left, his right, and the center, smiling a little as he tries to fight the embarrasment of having all the attention directed to him. His eyes scan the crowd and that is when he saw someone familiar, smirking at him. It was Kim ing Joonmyun, how would it have slipped his mind that he is also a CEO son. Joonmyun digs out his phone and takes a photo of Kris, his smirk growing wide and his eyes glint evily as he mouths a "Game over" to Kris. Kris pales instantly, glued to his feet as Joonmyun disappeared in the crowd. Jongdae appears behind him as he notices his master's abrupt change, whispering an "Are you ok Master?" into Kris' ear to which Kris replied in a whisper too. "I'm not ok Jongdae. Joonmyun is here and he saw me. He even took a picture, what if he showed it to Baekhyun? Go find him fast.", Kris commands.

            Jongdae catches Joonmyun just before he climb his car. "Stop righ there!!", he yelled. Joonmyun turned around to face him as Jongdae lunges at him. One hand holding him by the wrist, twisting his arm on his back as he pushes Joonmyun towards his car's door while his other hand roamed his body in search for his phone. "What the hell are you doing?!", Joonmyun yelled back as he felt Jongdae's hand groping his (he was just checking his back pocket) and blushes furiously. Jongdae keeps his hold firm and his other hand searching despite Joonmyun's protests, finding it's phone on his suit's chest pocket. He release Joonmyun in favor of opening the said phone and deleting his master's pictures so fast that by the time Joonmyun lunges back at him, he had already deleted them. They wrestle and fell onto the ground, Joonmyun trying to get his phone back as Jongdae hovers him. Somewhere between their wrestle, Joonmyun was able to kick Jongdae's shin, causing the other to cramp in pain but still didn't let go. Joonmyun was about to headbutt him just in time when Jongdae turned his head, causing their lips to meet accidentally instead of their heads banging. Joonmyun stopped wriggling away, eyes wide in shock and cheeks tinted, same wide eyes and tinted cheeks as Jongdae's. And that is when Kris finally arrived.

"Let him go Jongdae", Kris orders. Jongdae stood up and offered a hand to pull Joonmyun up as well.

"We need to talk", Kris told Joonmyun, face stern.

Kris never imagined he had to confess everything to his ultimate rival first instead of Baekhyun. He was caught in the middle and had no choice but to spill it all out. Surprisingly though, Joonmyun eagerly listened and spared him a week to confess to Baekhyun. He felt a little relieved but he's still anxious if he'll be brave enough to tell Baekhyun the truth sometime next week.

 

            Baekhyun lays on his bed, his mind repeatedly drifting back to earlier. The sight of those employees bowing at Kris and Kris getting in on a mercedes benz are on replay mode in his brain. He may not be the intelligent type but he's quite sure what he saw meant something, something he doesn't want to believe himself. He's not in place to jump into conclusions. Besides, just the thought of Kris lying to him already breaks his heart, that the actual thing may shatter him into pieces. This is when Baekhyun realizes, with a sudden thud in his chest, that he already likes Kris more than he wants to admit.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am fic overdue, sorry guys.. I really had been lazy to type this, and wow it's almost 3.9k long.. My last chapter is still on the works and i want to ask for your patience, i want to take my time so i could give it a proper ending but i do promise i will update this sometime next week if my christmas holidays won't be too busy.. Sistar & Got7 will come and visit us next week too, hopefully, i could post my final chapter before that happens :) Advance Merry Christmas guys, see you again next week :)