The Filipina's Grit

Dream High 3
        In a small town of the Philippines, a girl with a big dream lived. She grew up in a poor  family who could eat at least three times a day, enough to pay for their debts, enough to buy for their daily needs, and enough to pay for their studies. She is just an ordinary college girl and is contented with everything. She is Sandara Park, people used to call her Sandy. And every certain people in their town admires her beauty. When you look at her, she doesn't have any Filipina Beauty; not just a bit. She looks some kind of a Chinese ... or a Korean! It is because of her chinky tantalizing eyes. She got this fair complexion, beautiful shaped lips, and has pinkish cheeks. She got her straight brownish hair her mother that adds her beauty. That is why many people attracts her so much because of her charming beauty.
 
           Ever since Sandy was a kid, she already dreamed to go to South Korea. The reason why is that she always watched Korean Dramas that will appear in their television screen every after twilight  breaks. That is one thing why no doubt she loves Korea, because she belongs. Until Sandy turns eighteen years old, her dreamed to go to Korea someday never fades. 
 
         Sandy studied in a renowned institute with a very affordable tuition fee, and she is about two years in studying there taking up the course of Bachelor of Arts Major in History. She dreamed to study in an arts school as well, but since they don't enough money, Sandy just tried to endure her state right now. However, she keeps on dreaming that someday... she could be one of the most successful person.
 
          Settled at the lounge area where Sandy and her friend named Katie used to stay when they have their vacant time, chit-chatting all around and surfing on the internet using Katie's laptop.
"Someday, I will have my own laptop." Sandy cackling while typing a website on the web browser.
"Alright. I'll copy that, Sandy."
 
          They chuckled then in unison. After Sandy enters the website she typed, it appears then suddenly with a headline about the new system of South Korea's Kirin Art School. She was surprised and remained still on that page when she saw word 'South Korea' in the said article.
"Wait. There's a word South Korea." 
"Hmm... What's your plan, eh, Sandy?" Katie asked her suspiciously.
"Can I read it for a moment, please?" she begged.
"Okay, go on."
"Thanks."
 
           Sandy was so happy even to just small things about Korea. She its navigation as she enters that popped-out page. Sandy reads its whole article seriously. And it took a long period of time. Afterwards, she uttered breathlessly while covering that dropped widely open and with an eyes bulging.
"Hey. What's wrong?" Katie interrogated her, wondering why she acted like that.
"Kirin Art School in South Korea is taking into its high standards!" Sandy blurted in a big merry voice with a such smile on her face.
"Eh? I never thought of that school before."
"Obviously, we're not in Korea. Even me! But this art school, they're now accepting foreign students!" The smile on her face didn't fade away since the time after she read the good news.
"And so?"
"So I'm allowed to be there. To be one of their students." answered Sandy back to her friend with a smile that signifies with hope and determination. her friend Katie stunned for a second while staring at Sandy. Flinched her sight after which and went to their conversation.
"Sandy, I thought you already out of it."
"Out of it?" she couldn't' believe  on her friend's reply. "Tch!..." chuckled Sandy. "... Katie, no. I did not. This is my dream. And you know it."
"Yes, I know it. And there is no problem with me. But how about your parents? Your mother? Your father? Don't you think if they will allow you or not?"
 
             A saddened reaction appeared on Sandy's face after Katie said that to her. She lowered her head and a silent atmosphere envelopes on the both of them. Katie went close to Sandy and put her arm around Sandy's back with an unhappy expression as well.
"I'm so sorry, Sandy. I didn't mean to hurt you."
"It's alright. You have a point also." Sandy then took a sigh. "I was worried. What if my parents won't allow me? What should I do?"
"You have me, Sandy. I will pray for your dreams. You can make it. God will never leave you." earnestly Katie told her worried friend as her optimistic smile showed.
Sandy looked back at her and nodded her head that her sadness vanished, "Yes. You are right. I can make it! I believe in myself, and I trust God."
"That's it. That's the spirit!"
"Aja!" both of them asserted blissfully.
 
          Somehow, Sandy's hope went back because of a person who gives courage to her all the time. It only means that we still need a friend on our side to keep on going and chase our dreams even if we;re almost want to give up. Friends are like fruits that can make you stronger. She always bare in her mind that giving up easily is not the best solution, but keep on going is still the best armor.
 
          When evening comes, Sandy went home with a positive mind. She takes he shoes off and put it on the shoe rack. She feel nervous but she's ready to tell her mother about the Kirin Art School in South Korea. The moment she enters the house, nobody's around. The place is so quiet and intense. But this is her dreams, she must tell her mother. She shifted her pack bag and placed it on their couch. Sandy didn't make any clamor. Until a loud stomp form upstairs sounded that it could make Sandy alarmed. she is totally and obviously nervous.
"So you're already here. Good. Now, help me prepare that table for our supper." Sandy's mother announced, putting her both hands on her waist.
"Ah, mother?"
"What?"
"Can we talk for a minute?" calmly she requested.
"Okay. What is that?"
 
           She gulped momentarily and finally speak her statements towards her mother. Her heart thumps faster and sweat racing on her forehead. This girl is indeed anxious and feel numb. "I must not feel scared. Stop being nervous, Sandy!" as she speak into her mind.
"Please, mother. Allow me to study in Korea." without any second thoughts, Sandy confidently plead to her mother.
"What? Are you insane, Sandy? you know, you're just starving. So let's go." her mother was surprised and started to pace on the other way. But Sandy insisted.
"I'm serious, mother. This is my dream, to go to Korea, to study in Korea... and to be a good artist in their music industry." Sandy bluntly and plainly ed those words to her mother. She paused and heard everything form her daughter's lips. She turned back and face Sandy once more.
"Sandy, are you out of your mind? We don't have money to let you study there! Can't you see, we have nothing! We're not like other people who can afford that thing! So forget it. You can't reach it after all. Your dream is here, not there! Am I clear?"
 
          The poor Sandy started to fall out of crying after her mother nagged at her. Saying with all those words by her own mother makes her feel worst. She didn't respond to her mother, but instead she run upstairs as she cried harder and harder. There were tears on her face and her heart was aching. Sandy slammed and locked her door when she arrived inside her room. She slumped herself on her bed and badly make a sob and cry. She hide herself with her pillow and maintains on wailing. It's not that she didn't understand their situation, she's severely hurt emotionally especially that the moment she was hurt a lot by her aunt three years ago keeps on recalling at the back of her mind.
"Quit it."
"What? B--But, why, auntie?" Sandy stuttered with fears in her eyes.
"I said, quit it! Having a band is not good, it has a lot of bad influence!"
"That's not true. We're all girls after all. They are my best friends either, and they are not bad influence." she shook her head and keeps on protesting.
"Why are you so hard-headed? I said quit the band!"
"Why are you like that to e, auntie? How about my cousin? He has a band as well, right?"
"He's different from you. I will support him no matter what than you do."
 
           That's one thing why Sandy never give up, because she still have her mission to prove that she can do it. All around her didn't trust on what she got, that is why people even to her own family were underestimating her ability so easily. Sandy promised to herself starting today, that she will never get affected to those people that surrounds her who don't even trust on what she have. She won't let anyone will hinder her dreams. 
 
            By exactly seven-thirty, Saturday morning, Sandy decided to meet Katie at their meeting place part of the public park. She is strongly determined and is completely sure to study at Kirin in South Korea. she is fighting for her dreams. she keeps on praying for a signs, but she guess those signs are in her heart. so she followed her heart.
"Katie, I only earned ten thousand pesos. Can I borrow your money if only you have?" Sandy beseech at Katie, holding an envelope with her money. "I guess... this is not enough to buy plane ticket." she added.
"Did auntie prohibited you?" Sandy just nodded her head then. And Katie make a sough with her eyes closed, "I knew it, Sandy. I know that this will going to happen since yesterday evening when you called me, because o your tone. You really a strong one. You keep on fighting even if it's too risky. Well I understand, because only your friends who are emotionally supported you since then." After that, Katie flashed her smile to Sandy and get something inside her sling bag. She gave it to her and instructed her once again.
"You don't have to pay me back. It's yours, because I also dreamed that for you. and I guess that money is enough."
 
         The dreamer couldn't imagine on how much her friend trusted her, especially now that she have a money to reach her dreams there. Sandy whimpered and tears fell on her cheeks as hugged Katie so tight.
"When you arrive there, and when you pass the audition, don't forget me, alright? Otherwise I'll spank you. Just kidding. Well to be honest, I will miss you. Of course, you are my best friend!" Katie hugged her back, crying and reminding her before she will leave.
"Obviously, I won't! You're my best friend. I will miss you , too, Katie. When I leave, please tell my mother that I will be fine. I will take care of myself just like how much she took care of me. Tell her I love her so much and to my father as well, and I'm sorry that I have to leave. Please tell her also that this is mt just for myself, this is for them, this is my dream. And I will never forget them. And if I'll fail, tell her that I am hoping that she'll accept me as her daughter." her hug gets even tighter and tighter and her cries went harder. She felt so sorry, but she must leave.
"Don't worry. I will."
 
         Sandy left after that. She fixed her passport and her other documents for transferring to another school. It may be so sad, but she still keep on dreaming and chasing to that dream. Three days passed, everything is settled and done. It's time for her flight to Korea at exactly eight in the morning sharp. She was all alone and so blue as she was already inside the plane, sitting with seat belts wrapped around her tummy. Supposedly, she will feel great and glee by now... but she's so down now that she's going to leave the country without seeing her mother, her father for how many days--- until to her farewell. Sandy was hesitating if what she did is good or bad, but it's too late.