The Dimensions

Rose and The Fire

◈  Chapter Two 

Chanyeol woke up because he heard the singing fairies. He rubbed his eyes and got up from the bed to walk out from the tree house. He saw seven fairies in finger size with beautiful wings in pastel colors were singing on a tree branch. Their body surrounded by glowing dust. They sing so beautifully, and sound melodious. Harmony voices they sang made him stunned.

He stepped carefully to approach the little creatures to see them up close. But suddenly the singing fairies halted at the sight of humans approaching. Their big eyes bulging and blinked fast. Chanyeol was about to ask why they stopped singing, but the fairies shows a face like crying and frightened. And as soon as he opened his mouth to ask, they really cry.

“Hey, hey… don’t cry, I’m not a bad person. Uh... I just want to listen your singing closely. I’m sorry if I... scare you...?” He panicked. He knows how to soothe crying children, but never experienced to soothe crying fairies.

He tries to grab them to stop crying, but instead he was pelted with pebbles and their cries increasingly louder. When Chanyeol getting desperate and did not know what to do to stop them crying, Jangmi suddenly appeared on a tree branch where the singing fairies were. She said something in a language he didn’t understand and soon, the fairies stop crying and then giggling merrily. He confused by what just happened, but relieved to not hear their frightened cries anymore.

He sighed, stepped back in order not to frighten the fairies anymore, but he accidentally stepped on a brittle limb and it was broken immediately because it could not support his weight. Chanyeol fell crashing other limbs. He closed his eyes, waiting for the pain that he expected as he falls to the ground, when in fact didn’t felt at all, as if he was falling upon the clouds, very soft and comfy.

“Chanyeol are you okay?! Are you hurt somewhere??” He opens his eyes when hearing Jangmi’s voice and found himself in her arms that were below him now, crushed by his giant body.

He quickly got up and gave her space. And like noting happened, she got up and just patted her dress from dirt while her eyes looked at him worried. Chanyeol panting and can’t believe what just happened. He touched his body to check whether there are parts of his body were injured or hurt, but he feels very fit and healthy. None of the injuries on his body that he thought would leave any marks when he fell earlier.

“Y-you save... me?” He asked.

“Of course! I’m your guardian remember?” She smiled. She knows he was fine after she saw that his face doesn’t indicate any pains.

“Th-thank you... and sorry for my carelessness…”

“No Chanyeol, it was my fault for leaving you to look for your breakfast... I’m so sorry...” She is apology and not daring to look him in the eyes, feeling guilt for not caring her subject.

“Why do you always blame yourself? It was my fault and you saved me, Jangmi!” He yelled, unhappy because she always defended him.

“But you fell because—” He grunted, feeling there was no point arguing with her, because of what he learn a little, as a guardian, she felt it was her duty to protect her subject.

“Never mind. The fairies... why they were crying?” He pointed to the fairies above with his chin.

“Oh... they were the singing fairies, and all fairies could feel any emotion surrounds them. They are all very sensitive. If they’re frightened and sad, they would immediately cry. And if they hear something funny or happy, the will also immediately laughing and giggling. They think you are a troll, but I told them that you are my guardian subject, and trolls will not have a handsome face like you. They were glad to hear that, and therefore they giggles.” She explains. Unexpectedly, the singing fairies coming down and say something to Jangmi. She replied them then translates to Chanyeol.

“They want to apologize for misunderstood you and throwing you with pebbles. They will sing for you if you allow,” She said.

“Its okay, I’m the one who made them cried, though. Are they having a name?” He asked.

“Yes they have. It’s easy, they were named according to the color of their wings. This is Cheongja or Celadon, she’s Seonhong or Cerise, she’s Jajubit or Mauve, He’s Gongjakseok or Malachite, He’s Daesuri or Periwinkle, she’s Amaeui or Flax, and the youngest Yeonhoebi or Skyblue.” The fairies bowed at him, and laughed at his blank expression. He had never heard of such colors name. And among the names of the fairies, he can only remember Yeonhoebi or Skyblue, because only the color name he had ever heard before.

He thought the names of the fairies as easily as he could see by their wings, as Gongjakseok is a soft green color, Cheongja is a grayish-blue and the other colors. He recalls whether when in kindergarten or elementary he was ever taught the name of the colors as Jangmi mentioned. And he don’t think there will be kids who can memorize such of colors names.

“Uh... okay fairies, nice to meet you all. My name is Park Chanyeol, and you may sing for me.” He allowed. Jangmi translate again to them, and they start singing.

“They will sing until you say stop. They will follow us while they are singing. You can say ‘Low’ for them to lowering their voices and say ‘Rise’ for them to raising their voice.”

“Oh-ho... so, like I have mp3 player in the world heh? I like it. Their voices were beautiful. What song they’re singing right now, by the way?”

“The song has no title, they only sing follow the emotion they feel, and right now they sang their feelings that are happy to meet you... oh and they tell how handsome you are and describe your appearance.” She smiled. Chanyeol blushed with what she was explained.

They were back to the tree house with the fairies followed. She had already prepared breakfast for Chanyeol. She didn’t have much time to look for food she could find in the woods, so she made Kongnamul Guk (Soybean Sprout Soup) for him. Chanyeol quite satisfied with what she served for breakfast. And whatever food she presents it tastes very delicious to him. He finished it in an instant. The song from the fairies somehow makes him had a high appetite.

“Is it taste good, Chanyeol-sshi?” She asked.

“Can’t you tell from how good I eat?” He chuckled. “Of course it taste good, Jangmi. Thanks for the breakfast.”

“Very welcome, Chanyeol-sshi. Next time just tell me what foods you want to eat. I will find the ingredients and make it for you.” She smiled. That smile.

“Sure,”

“Now, if you’re ready, please lie down on the bed, I will begin the healing.” He followed her order do what she said.

After he lay down, Jangmi gave him instructions. “I will tell you before we start the healing. You had to stabilize your emotions, and do not be too carried away by what you will feel later. I will heal the larger wound first, since it takes the longest time to be treated. And keep feeling my presence if you lost. If you have any questions, save it for later.”

“Your words don’t really help to calm me down.” He scoffs.

“Later you will. Now close your eyes. Take a deep breath in and out slowly. Listen to the singing fairies. I’ll hold on and you will feel we are connected.”

“Any last advice?” He asked as he closed his eyes.

“At first, this might sting a bit.” She whispered.

It happened right after she finished her sentence. It stings when her palms of her hands give off light that shines through his mind to restart the redemption of mistakes she had ever made during her duty as guardian since he was a little. Soon, Chanyeol feels his body lighten as he could fly. He was taken to another dimension. The darkness that blinded him now turned into a very familiar sight.

He was in his old house yard. There was a boy running around chasing his puppy. He looks very happy, very innocent. Chanyeol could assume the boy was himself when he was child by his big ears that became his trademark. And he saw a guardian keep an eye on the little boy at the corner of the yard. The guardian was much alike with Jangmi. Red haired, red eyes, red dress... all of it were very similar to her. Except in the dimension, she has large red-feathered wings that the ends were dangling down. She was very beautiful.

‘Is this her original form?’

Chanyeol approached the boy, but it seems he does not appear visible to the boy because he kept running regardless of his presence. When the boy ran up to him, he thought he would be hit, but in fact, the boy was running through him. He was confused, his eyebrows drew together and he thought, if he actually brought here to be shown his past.

He opened his mouth, wanting to ask Jangmi who are in the dimension, but no sound came out from his mouth. Even when he tries to touch her, his hands only slipped through her skin, didn’t feel anything. He really is invisible and can’t speak, touch, nor hearing. As if he was just watching the shadows.

He returned his gaze to the boy earlier, which is now trying to unlock the wooden fence to catch his puppy that ran out. Chanyeol’s eyes bulging, seeing the road in front of his old house was crowded with many vehicles. Before he able to hold the running boy, the Red Guardian was came out first then caught the boy and embraces him in her large red wings when the boy was almost hit by a motorcycle.

But the boy was crying. When the Red Guardian opened her wings, she gasped shock to found the boy’s head were bleeding, wet her wings’ feathers because hit the asphalt. Chanyeol never remembered that scene, even to this day, he never remembered having a scar on his head. The Red Guardian was crying, and Chanyeol witnessed when a light left apart from her body. And instantly, her wings turned into a dull color. He stepped forward, but suddenly all the sights were turned into black and white smoke soaring with the wind of which also slammed his body.

When he regained consciousness, he felt déjà vu, since the situation has turned into when he was first brought to the dimension. He was standing in his old house yard and saw a boy running happily chasing his puppy. He realized that the time had been played back. The only different is, the Red Guardian with dangling red-feathered wings is no longer there, replaced by Jangmi the Red Guardian with no wings, dressed in a faded red color with a face full of cuts.

And the accident is replaying, but now Jangmi was faster to caught and protect the boy. He survived with only scratches on his elbow. Chanyeol then lift his elbow, and saw the scar is there. Jangmi have changes the past so that he could survive from the accident. She redeemed herself in the past and sacrificed herself from the present. Then he saw a light absorbing into her body and makes her dress into bright red and some cuts on her face disappeared without leaving a scar.

Somehow, he felt that there is something that makes him feel calms, relieved and light. He was pleased, as if burden on his heart lifted. When he saw his parents hugged the boy and his noona kissing his teary eyes and pretending to cast a spell to him not to feel any pain when she treating his brother’s wounds, he felt loved.

The shadows of people who hate him, who don’t like the popularity he has, and also someone who he knows have an intention of giving harm to him; all faded and slowly vanished. Something has implanted into his heart and mind, making him think everything positively, have a strong heart and soul. A shining light permeated into his chest and he felt the whole happiness, pleasure, bliss, and joy aded his soul.

All the sights now melt and he found himself in a new dimension. But what is in front of him now was a place he had never seen before. This was his first time to saw such a place. He was in a wasteland with cracked ground and the sky was gloomy, dark cloud shadowing above, thunder boomed loudly. He wondered why Jangmi took him here. He doesn’t know where to go, so he just goes to follow wherever his feet took him. But after a while, he didn’t find any creatures that he could see, neither live plant. As if the place could out live spirits. He stopped walking and sits on a rock to rest.

Suddenly a whirlwind came to his way and slammed him down to the ground. He groan, then got up to saw a large black wings in front of him. Then the owner of the wings turned around made Chanyeol shocked to see an embodiment with upper body intangible a lion, lower body intangible a hippo and crocodile-faced. But she was soon transformed into a beautiful pale woman with bright green eyes, long black haired and pointy ears. She was wearing a plain black cloth covering her intimate parts only.

‘This creature is clearly creepier than Jangmi!’ He talks in his thought with grimace on his face.

“Oh really, sweetheart? Am I not prettier than the ugly red Jangmi? That’s hurts, honey.” The woman curling the strand of her hair with finger and pretend to look disappointed.

‘This creature can read my mind too!’ He thought with fear.

“Of course I can read your mind, handsome. I’m a spirit after all,” She winked at him and tuck the strand hair behind her ear. She walks towards him.

“What do you want from me?!” He shouted. He walk backwards slowly in defense. The woman surely cannot be trusted. She exudes an evil aura from her presence.

“You know, you don’t have to shout in front of beautiful woman like me. I want your soul, dearie. Give it to me without a fight so you don’t have to feel any pain.” She said calmly. Her hungry eyes focused on him.

“For what?”

“For me to eat, of course. What else? Quick, come here, give it to me.”

“Why do you have to eat my soul? What if my soul is not precious enough for you to eat?” He was stalling time to find Jangmi’s presence. In this situation, he realized that he was lost. Because he cannot see The Red Guardian, so he believes that The Black Wings was the one who trapped him here.

“Don’t try to fool me, human. I knew your soul was just upgraded by The Red Guardian. If I eat your soul, I will be full until next century. She gave some of her powers so that you can protect yourself. Although it will make her go weak, she still wants to protect you until she is forgiven and get her inner back. In other words, you and The Red Guardian share the same soul core.” He tried to absorb every information the woman spoke, but still don’t understand what she was talking about.

In his perplexity, his mind perked up and found her presence. He can hear her voice and it gave him courage to fight the woman.

“Thanks for the information, creepy woman. But I’m sorry you have to starve until next century because I won’t give you what you want.” He immediately ran from her and asked Jangmi to take him back to Gimlé.

The woman was faster than he was because she had large wings to catch up. In a flash, Chanyeol was pinned to the ground and the woman transform back to her original form. She is ready to eat his soul. Chanyeol closed his eyes tightly. He believes Jangmi will save him. He raised his hand to resist the creature from eating his soul, but then he heard she groaned in pain and when he opened his eyes, she jerked back down to the ground and her mane was burn. He looked at his palm and found a little flame faded from it. His mouth gape open, dumbfounded tried to yank his hand forward then a huge flame popped out from his hands and burns her left wings. When she was busy extinguish the fire at her mane and wings, Chanyeol took the opportunity to escape.

Everything was back to the form of opaque smoke and disappeared until darkness enveloped him back.  

◈◈◈



The scene after Chanyeol laying down is the way Jangmi heal him. Heal his soul to be exact.

And the creepy creature is called Ammit, the soul-eater. Based on my research, it is actually a female demon in ancient Egyptian religion.

I modified the creature, originally she doesn't have wings, but in the story I added wing to be a part of her body.

Second chapter everyone~ I have 2 - 3 chapters left to finished this fic. Wait for it :D

Comment. Comment. Comment~ ^.^