interlude

the wandering (baby daddy au)

 

interlude (the wandering: baby daddy au)
yifan/chanyeol
romance / pg13 / oneshot
You see, I am not much of an observer. Though strangely, when it comes to the guy across the street, I seem to notice a lot of things. 






Introverts– I never understood them. I suppose it’s because I am the exact opposite. I do not know what they are like nor did I ever try to know. I’m not sure if I’m even interested. To be completely honest, I was never curious about them until a neighbour moved in right across my house about two months ago.

His name is Yifan and he’s Chinese. I wouldn’t have known if my nosy best friend didn’t drag me approximately seven steps from my pad to the neighbour’s only to use the old and tacky sugar trick on the clueless and seemingly stoic tall man. He did not give us sugar, but instead he gave us a full on stare that lasted for about a minute and fifty-six seconds, if Kyungsoo’s Math didn’t fail him. So yes, it wasn’t like I have talked to him or anything. I haven’t. He literally did not say a word and it actually made me wonder if he is mute. He wasn’t. But that’s not the point. The point is, his answering machine was literally the answer to our unanswered question. It went off and a woman spoke in rapid fire Chinese. Now I know no Chinese but Kyungsoo does. He caught his name and told me about it as soon as we were both safe in the confines of my own apartment.

You see, I am not much of an observer. Though strangely, when it comes to the guy across the street, I seem to notice a lot of things. For one, he is a recluse, if I may say so. He is always, always inside his apartment all day everyday which is why I see him not more than three times every month. Admittedly, that piqued my interest which, embarrassingly, escalated quickly that I am now getting my ninja skills developed by pasting sticky notes on Yifan’s front door every single morning. I’m doing a good job so far, if not getting caught yet is any indication.

Kyungsoo thought it was pathetic, but I thought otherwise. While it may seem that I am completely obsessed with Yifan, it is not the case at all. I am simply trying to get him to loosen up. Trying – because he wouldn’t budge. There is no guarantee that he would at all.

“Yes, I’m at it again. Stop judging me.” I almost hiss at Kyungsoo hovering over me, trying to squeeze some juicy details out of me. Juicy as in Yifan stories. Sorry bro, there is none to tell.

“I am not–”

“Kyungsoo, I love you but you . You judge people on a daily basis and I’m no exception.” He smacks me upside the head. I rub the sore spot. “See what I mean.”

Groaning, he plants himself on the chair across mine and sighs almost dramatically. I swear this guy has a flair for theatrics. “But really, not because your sticky notes disappear on his door doesn’t mean he’s the one getting it. And if it’s actually him, how would you know he isn’t just throwing it away?”

I shrug. “Whatever he does with it is up to him, but at least I know he’s aware of my little notes.” Peeling the sticky note off the pad, I smile at my fairly decent handwriting. Constantly writing messages made my handwriting better. I grin at that.

“Hmm. I bought the thing too.” He hands me a paintbrush. “You owe me money.”

Finding out Yifan’s love for the arts was just a coincidence. I was on my way to the coffee shop when I happened to see him walking back home from I don’t know where and on his hand was a canvas. Alright, so I might have assumed that he was into painting but a paintbrush wouldn’t hurt him and my pocket. And besides, I think it’s a pretty nice gift. Just a little something for him. Sending him gifts isn’t really a big deal, Kyungsoo just happens to make a big deal out of everything.

“So what did you write?” asks my judgemental friend as he snatches the note from my hands without giving me any time to protest.

It’s morning time already and it’s time to widen those teeny tiny eyes, stretch those tough buff arms, wiggle that silky slinky hair and eat some salty malty fries.

“Good enough?”

Kyungsoo stares at me, then proceeds to tackle me on the floor.





I used to think that this is just a phase- that I am just curious about Yifan so I am actually reaching out to him. Truth be told, I started leaving messages on his door just for the heck of it, but then I soon found it fun. Also, the thought that I may be making someone smile with those messages made me happy, so I continued. It was not a wasted effort. That, I know. Sure I don’t see him in action, but my gut feeling tells me that he actually takes and reads it and that is enough for me to carry on.

What I’m trying to say is that – I like this. I like what I’m doing. I like writing notes. I like giving Yifan gifts. I simply like our whole set-up and Kyungsoo just has to deal with it.

“You have a note.”

I pause the movie to look at my best friend who is waving a yellow post-it note in my face. “That is from?” He shrugs. “Well what does it say?” I try to snatch it from his hand and unsurprisingly succeed on the first try since my limbs are far longer than his. Whatever it is in here should not be taken seriously, I tell myself, because for all I know it could just be Kyungsoo being bored with his life.

I suppose it’s alright to say that I’m quite disappointed. There is not much written in the note aside from a neatly drawn smiling face.

“Plot twist.” Kyungsoo says. “That’s from Yifan.”

That would just be a little too impossible so I just shake my head and dismiss the thought. It couldn’t be, right?





The hunt for the mysterious post-it man commenced as soon as I received the second note. Post-it man, that’s what I decided to call him, is not really good with words. He never writes anything. He talks to me using emoticons: a smiling face, a grumpy face, a sad one and sometimes, even a heart. It’s rather cute that he doesn’t have much to say and yet his emoticons make me feel a little fuzzy inside.

Despite my best friend’s efforts of insisting that it’s Yifan, I still don’t think it’s him. He barely goes out of his apartment and I would know if he does go out because his front door happens to make an annoying creaking sound when opened and closed. Unless he got it fixed. But then, post-it man being Yifan is just out of the question.

Alright, so maybe I just really don’t want it to be him because the mere thought of it is freaking me out. There is no time and need to be explaining it right now because to be quite honest, I’m not even sure if I’m capable of explaining how I feel towards Yifan. Yes, I already am talking about feelings. There are already feelings involved no matter how pathetic I think it may seem.

“What’s pathetic?”

I feel a stinging pain on my side and predictably, it is Kyungsoo who poked me. “What do you mean?” I ask.

“Well you were mumbling and I only caught the pathetic part. Enlighten me, please?”

No such thing happened simply because I did not let anything happen.

It’s nothing serious anyway.





As it turns out, it is something serious. I have no idea I am in for a surprise until I catch post-it man red-handed. It is pretty much the last thing I expected to happen and the person I don’t want it to be – Yifan.

“I... wha– it’s you?!”

I wince when he slams the sticky note on the door and shrugs. “Couldn’t have been anyone else.” Could have been, I want to retort. Anyone but him. I’m not sure what’s more surprising – the fact that he’s actually talking to me or how cocky he sounds. “I thought you knew.” But one thing’s for sure, his voice is deep. Not that much of a shocker since he looks like someone who owns such voice.

“Did... did Kyungsoo pay you to do this?”

Great. Out of all things I could say, it has to be a stupid one. Way to go Chanyeol. You just made a fool out of yourself.

“We haven’t even met formally and you’re already judging me.”

“I… no but… I just… I didn’t–”

“Relax.” he says with a chuckle. A chuckle. A very deep one at that.

Yes, yes, I know. I need to regain my composure before I explode from internally fanboying too much. Sometimes, it’s just so hard to be me.

“I am relaxed.” I say with much conviction.

“Huh, your groceries say otherwise.” I look at the direction he’s pointing at and cursed at my fallen bag of groceries. “No need to be tense.” He chastises as he helps me with my groceries. Allow me to silently gush for a brief moment because isn’t he such a gentleman?

“I’m not tense. Ugh. Okay, fine I may be am but that’s all because of you!” He looks at me with a raised brow. “What?” I ask.

“Did you take your meds already?”

“Meds? I don’t take– yah are you implying that I’m crazy?!”

Yifan chuckles. “Wow, you are so noisy. Just help me pick up your groceries and I will leave you in peace.”

“Please don’t.”

“Don’t what?” he asks, quite busy as puts some canned goods inside the paper bag and all I could do is watch. Sure, I feel bad for doing all the work but there is a decision I need to make that may make or break me. It basically is now or never since I have no idea when I would get the chance to talk to him. I am taking the matters into my own hands. I need to get myself more chances to be able to meet him. To get to know him and all.

“Don’t leave me.” He looks at me like I have grown two heads and the urge to bang my head on the wall is so strong. “Dinner!” I blurt out. “T-that’s what I meant to say. Uhm, I… don’t leave me because I’m inviting you over for dinner.”

“Right…”

“So, uhh, would you like to stay for dinner?” I ask nervously, clutching the bag of grocery he hands me on to my chest.

“Would you like to stay forever?” Damn it, Kyungsoo. I turn around to see the tiny little grinning at us. When did he get here anyway?

Heaving out a sigh, I say, “Please don’t mind him he’s just a little loose–”

“Sure.”

“–in the hea– what?”

“I said sure.” Yifan smiles at me and I grin at him in reply before shoving the bag on my hands onto his.

“Hold this for me for a moment please.” I tell him before ungracefully tackling Kyungsoo on the floor.

Ah, I think as I attack my best friend with smacks on the and pinches on the sides, life is good.




 

+




omg? this literally took me like a month to finish. i'm not even kidding. this is just a part of the whole boy meets boy part of the verse so it does seem a little abrupt and short :)