Reversal

Reversing Introvert
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 10 – Reversal

Solbin didn't choose to go to Camp Laboum for the Performing Arts. Her best friends, Haein and Yulhee, had signed her up and dragged her along for the summer. She was reluctant at first, expecting to suffer and scare her fellow campers away. And that's exactly what happened.

Naming only one out of several incidents, Solbin frightened one of her cabinmates so badly that the girl began to cry. She suffered from that incident. She also re-encountered a bully from her childhood, who caused her classmates to dislike her and isolate her. The girl bullied her again, and Solbin suffered again. If someone were to ask Solbin, "How was camp?", she would tell them that she suffered.

But she would also have to add that she had the time of her life there.

Solbin, who was so painfully introverted that she could barely speak to others, had made many friends, from the candy-loving Jiae, to the cute crybaby Haeryung. She managed to improve her apparently terrifying demeanor, so people found her easier to approach and interact with. She was also eventually able to stand up to her childhood bully, and stop the latter from making any more rude remarks to the people she cared about. Solbin may not talk so much, or freely approach others, but she figured that it was just part of her personality. She was an introvert after all.

Camp Laboum was an amazing, life-changing experience for Solbin: she made many friends, grew out of her painful introversion, learned how to stand up for herself, and practiced rigorously, helping Petit Macaron emerge victorious from the Laboum Music Show. So Solbin may have suffered, and she may have shed sweat, tears, and blood - but she doesn't regret anything that happened this summer.

She especially couldn't say that regrets her experience at Camp Laboum, when it was there in which she had met Kim Yujeong. Yujeong, the ever-so-supportive counselor of Solbin's cabin, who was there with her every step of the way, from start to finish. Yujeong, who was there to help her when she had fallen, and was there to watch over her as she rose up. Solbin believes that if it hadn't been for Yujeong, Camp Laboum would have been much different, much worse. Solbin is grateful for everything that Yujeong has done for her, and she is even more grateful that she has fallen for this girl, who happens to reciprocate her feelings.

What had seemed to be a nightmarish ordeal turned out to be the best thing that has ever happened in Solbin's life so far. The days that appeared to progress ever so slowly, had passed by within the blink of an eye. Now, it was the last day of camp, and they were going to leave.

"I can't believe this... Don't you think this went by too quickly? Or is it just me?" Junghwa asked her cabinmates as she folded her clothes and packed them neatly into her suitcase.

Haeryung shook her head sadly. "It's not just you. I had so much fun here. So many good memories."

"We'll keep in contact, right girls?" Everyone in the cabin nodded in response to Hayoung's question. "We all have each other's phone numbers and SNS accounts, so it shouldn't be too hard to communicate."

"We all live around the same area too, don't we? I think that's one of the prerequisites for being put into one cabin." Yeoreum mentioned, and there was a chorus of 'oohs' and 'ahs'. "Everyone here lives in Seoul, right? Seocho?" They all exchanged glances and nods, their lips stretching into wide smiles. 

"This is great!" Haein exclaimed. "We can hang out together sometime when we're not busy!"

"This is really good news and all, but can you help me pack your clothes in here, Haein? You should probably fold them to make more room for the other stuff." Yulhee mumbled, groaning as she attempted to zip the overloaded suitcase closed. Haein quickly apologized to her girlfriend and lent her a hand.

While everyone was chatting about all the things they could do in their neighborhood, Solbin was quietly arranging her folded clothes in a neat pile and placing them in her suitcase. "Need some help?" The brunette looked up and saw Yujeong smiling down at her. The younger girl shook her head, but the older girl sat down on her bed and watched her pack. "You've been awfully quiet lately - well, you're usually quiet - but it's the last day and you're not saying much. Are you upset?"

"...yes." Despite her answer, Solbin continued to pack her belongings into her suitcase.

"Why? You're finally free to go home. Aren't you feeling homesick after staying here for so long?" Solbin's brows furrowed upon hearing Yujeong's inquiries. Did she really not understand what this situation meant for them?

"Once I go home, I won't be able to - "

The door to the Petit Macaron cabin flew open, but the occupants didn't even bat a lash. They were quite used to it by now. "Hellooooo Petit Macaron! Also known as the Laboum Champions! Are you all packed and ready to go?"

"Soyeon, this is the last day. This is literally the last day. Shouldn't you be spending it with your kids?" Yujeong pointed out, annoyed that the Red Velvet counselor had barged into the cabin all of a sudden - and she didn't even close the door behind her.

"Oh, silly Yujeong. I would love to spend it with my kids. But they're out on the Last Day Hike. They wanted to take a final hike around the woods here, get one last feel of the place." Soyeon explained, watching all the Petit Macaron members pack their suitcases.

"Packing already?" Soyeon checked her watch. "You have about three hours left before you leave the camp. You should be out doing something fun. Just because it's the last day doesn't mean you can't do any activities."

"They wanted to be prepared beforehand." Yujeong told her fellow counselor.

"Ah, I see, I see. That's the secret behind your win at the Laboum Music Show, hm? Organization and preparation."

"What? Still feeling bitter over your loss?"

Soyeon continued to smile despite Yujeong's attempt at a jab. "Not at all~ Because it doesn't even feel like a loss. Petit Macaron practically feels like my own group!"

"That's because you keep abandoning your kids to join us." Yujeong huffed, wondering if there was anything she could say to Soyeon that would faze her. Probably not.

Soyeon's gleeful eyes shifted from Yujeong to Solbin, who was wordlessly and dutifully preparing her suitcase for the departure. "Well well, your main vocalist over here is so hushed up. What could be the reason behind that?"

Yujeong slightly shrugged her shoulders. "She said that she's upset. I asked her and she was going to answer me but you just bursted through the door before I could hear it."

"My bad. So why're you upset, Solbin? Is there anything we could do to help?"

Solbin sulked in silence for a moment before replying, "I'm going to leave the camp, and I won't be able to see Yujeong as often. And maybe...I won't be able to see her ever again." The girl seemed genuinely upset, but as soon as the two counselors exchanged knowing glances, they bursted into giggles. This commotion caught the attention of the other Petit Macaron members, who raised their brows in confusion.

"Awww Solbin! You're so cute!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter