Coffee and sunlight

Cheesecake

“Halmoni, do you know where the orphanage is?” Sehun asked while they were eating breakfast.

 

She looked up from her newspaper.

 

“Do you have a child to give away?”

 

“No, it’s not that…I met a boy…”

 

“And you guys want to marry and adopt a little girl?”

 

Sehun grinned.

 

“He left something in the train. The only thing I know is that he is staying at this orphanage.”

 

Granny smiled and nodded. “I know where it is.”

 

 

 

 

Sehun was surprised how close the orphanage was to his grandma’s house. He expected it to be at the very other side of the city.

 

When he finally stood in front of it, he nervously stared at the bell and rang.

 

 

 

A middle-aged woman opened the big wooden door.

 

“Hello, can I help you?”

 

“Eh…I am looking for Luhan” Sehun shyly replied and the woman nodded.

 

“I’ll get him. Wait a minute.”

 

 

Sehun nodded and looked at the lady as she left into the house.

Standing there, he had nothing to do, so he started to fix his dark brown hair, removing the wrinkles out of his light blue shirt.

 

“Sehun?” The waiting boy quickly removed his hands from his clothes and looked at the other boy.

 

“Nice to see you again. What brings you here?”

 

Sehun reached into his left pocket, took something out and showed it to Luhan. It was the black ring.

 

Luhan grabbed it, he was surprised.

 

 

 

“You left it in the train.” Sehun said without directly looking to the other.

 

“Thank you so much…” Luhan happily smiled. “Why don’t you come inside?”

 

“I need to go home…”

 

“Please…I need to show my gratitude.” Luhan opened the door wider and finally Sehun agreed.

 

 

 

 

“So this is where you’re staying?” Sehun asked, while they were walking towards the end of the hall. The building seemed quite old, but the sunlight that poured in through the windows made it seem comfortable.

 

Luhan nodded and led him into the kitchen. “I think we still have some cake left.”

 

Sehun sat down at the wooden table, while watching the other boy searching in the fridge.

 

 

 

Suddenly to girls came running in. They were probably both 12 years old.

 

“Luhan Oppa, do you want to play with us?” The smaller one, the one who was wearing two braids, asked.

 

“What about your manners? Say hi to Sehun first!” Luhan scolded them, but the way he said it showed, that he was just joking.

 

“It’s okay…Nice to meet you.” Sehun greeted the girls.

 

“I’ll come later, okay? I’ll have some coffee and cake with Mr. Oh first.” Luhan patted the girl’s head and she nodded. The both of them left the kitchen again.

 

 

 

Luhan took out two pieces of cheesecake. “Rian and Sihyun…two little angels…Would you like some coffee to go with the cake?”

 

“It’s okay. I don’t need anything.”

 

“Well, okay.” Luhan widely smiled. “I’ll make myself some coffee then.”

 

He stood up leaving Sehun sitting there.

 

 

“What are you doing here?” Sehun asked after he’d tried a piece.

 

“I work here. That’s what I do in my holiday. I play with the kids.” He poured coffee into a mug. “I take care of them”

 

The other boy nodded. “And you bake cake?”

 

 

“How does it taste?” “Really good!”

 

 

 

Luhan grinned, sat down opposite to Sehun and took a sip of his hot coffee. Sehun observed the room. It was quite a comfortable kitchen. The walls were a light peach color and through the window you could see the garden, where he could see 4 boys playing soccer.

 

 

 

“Eh…” Luhan cleared his throat.

 

“Hm?” Sehun turned his attention back to the other boy.

“You don’t like to listen, huh?” The other boy said, but he smiled. “I just said, that I thought you hated me. You were kinda mean on the train.”

 

“This is how I approach new people.” Sehun grinned. “No, I’m sorry. I didn’t feel well that night.”

 

“It’s fine, I already forgave you when you were standing in front of the orphanage.” Luhan brightly looked at him. “Well, I’m kinda searching for a friend around my age here. I do have the orphanage ladies and the kids here, but I can’t really talk to them like I would want to.”

 

“Is this why you invited me in?” Luhan lightly nodded.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun passed a bakery while he was walking home. He had asked the bakery lady for a cheese cake. After all it was his and his granny’s favourite cake, which she used to bake when Sehun was younger a few years ago.

 

Now that he had bought the cake, all he needed were flowers to satisfy the old woman.

 

 

 

 

 

“Granny, what do you want for birthday?” Sehun used to ask her.

 

She’s always reply: “Flowers, my dear boy.” She would pat his head and say: “Can you imagine that such a divine beauty...”

Grandma would point to a bright yellow sunflower in the garden which could be seen through the kitchen window.

 

“… Was once hidden inside a tiny seed?”

 

Little boy Sehun nodded, not quite getting her words, but since he had no money little boy Sehun drew his granny a meadow full of colourful flowers.

 

The picture was still hanging on the refrigerator now.

 

 

 

Maybe Luhan wasn’t bad. He was a really nice guy. Sehun felt sorry that he had reacted so unfriendly before.

They’d exchanged numbers and Luhan invited him to come over again the next day, but he couldn’t.

 

It’s halmoni’s birthday.