The Ring

Cheesecake

Sehun had seen him before. The boy lived in his neighbourhood, but he had never talked to him.

He sometimes walked his dog past Sehun’s house.

 

Sehun kept staring at him sitting next to the last free seat on the train. Suddenly the other boy looked up and started to talk:

 

“Why don’t you sit here?”

 

Sehun lightly nodded and grabbed his bag to head towards the seat.

 

 

Sehun was on his way to his grandma in Busan. It was her 80th birthday in a few days and after all he was the only relative she had after Sehun’s parents died in a plane crash.

He was only a 6 year old kid when all this happened. The only thing he could remember about this tragic accident is that he had been staying at his granny’s house.

After that he grew up living with her and became a rather shy and quiet teenager.

 

 

 

The boy next to him suddenly nudged Sehun’s arm, waking him up from his thoughts.

 

“Huh?” Sehun turned around to the other guy.

“I was talking to you!” The boy smiled. “I said you kinda look familiar…Have we met before?”

 

Sehun shook his head.

 

“Anyway, I am Luhan.”

 

Sehun nodded. There was something about this guy…

 

“What is your name?”

 

“Sehun.” He tried to keep his answers as short as possible. Luhan nicely smiled.

 

“Nice to meet you, Sehun! What’s your destination?”

 

“Busan…Why are you talking to me?” Sehun whispered and the other boy gave him a surprised look.

 

“Does it bother you? I can stop…”

 

“Thanks.” Sehun nodded and plugged in his earphones. Luhan finally turned away and continued playing a game on his phone.

 

 

 

 

“Where are you going?” Sehun suddenly whispered after they had been sitting next to each other for about half an hour.

Luhan gave him a surprised look. “Home to the orphanage where I grew up at.”

The other boy kept silent without nodding or reacting in a different way to the answer.

 

 “Busan”, and Sehun finally nodded.

The Chinese boy sighed, but switched off his phone and started to observe Sehun, who had continued to listen to his music.

 

They didn’t say a single word to each other until the train arrived in Busan.

 

Luhan stood up and left first after he shortly said ‘Bye’ to the other boy, who just nodded.

After he was gone, Sehun finally put away his earphones and grabbed his bag. He slowly stood up noticing a black ring lying on the seat next to his.

 

‘Probably Luhan’s.’ He thought and quickly got out of the train. Sehun rushed outside, but Luhan was already gone into the darkness.

 

 

 

 

 

“Are you okay?” Halmoni(= grandma) asked Sehun, after he entered her cute and tiny house and sat down on her sofa. “Darling, you look a little sick.”

 

Sehun nodded. Indeed he was a little nauseous. He never really liked travelling by train. If he only owned a car, he would only drive to his grandma’s house. To bad that cars are quite expensive and as a student he couldn’t afford it.

“Yeah, the ride was exhausting…”

 

Halmoni immediately walked into the kitchen and brought out a bowl of rice soup for her grand-son.

 

 

 

“I prepared your room.” Grandma said after Sehun had finished eating his delicious dinner. He stood up and carried his bowl into the kitchen, although his granny insisted to do it.

 

 

 

Sehun was lying in his bed, which used to be his mom’s back then, when she was his age.

He was staring at the ceiling where his mom glued some fluorescent stars, but they had lost their ability to shine in the dark after all these years.

The room was lightened up every now and then due to the cars that drove around at night.

 

The boy was holding the ring, observing it and finally sliding it on one of his long and white fingers.

 

‘Fits perfectly…’ he thought before he slowly drifted into a dreamless sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

Same time, same city.

A young boy was bent over his suitcase trying to search for something.

 

“Where is it?” Luhan mumbled. He unpacked his complete suitcase. “I brought it with me…I’m 100% sure!”

 

He finally stood up trying to find his lost item in one of his jeans’ pockets. Nothing.

 

 

The black ring was gone. The only thing he had from his real parents.

It was tied to his neck with a leather band, when he was found in front of the door of the orphanage that cold rainy April day.

There was just that single ring that gave a little hint of Luhan’s past. No letter, no toy, no name, no photography, simply nothing.

 

The orphanage ladies found him completely wet. The little baby was shivering and it seemed like he got a severe cold. It’s quite a miracle that he still survived and grew up to a bright and smart personality.

 

 

 

It’s gone.

 

 

 

“Mrs. Ryu, did you see my ring?” Luhan asked when he saw the lady in the hall in front of his room. She looked at him.

“Your black ring? I’m afraid, no.” She replied and shook her head.

 

“Damn…” Luhan tossed his things back into his suitcase.