Chapter 8

Age Is No Issue.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon was in the staff room marking her students' scripts when she felt someone knock on her table. She looked up, thinking it was one of the other teachers when she saw Sooyoung standing in front of her. “Hello, Sooyoung. What can I do for you this afternoon?” Sooyoung rolled her eyes and bent down, making sure her words wouldn’t be heard by any other teacher, “I need to talk to you… and it’s not for school work.”

She felt her heart start to race in anticipation, what if something happened to Yuri when she wasn't around?

“What’s going on? Is Yuri okay?”

Sooyoung wanted to scoff at the sudden show of concern coming from Taeyeon. After ignoring Yuri for the past two weeks or so, she's suddenly worried about Yuri's well-being? For goodness' sakes, Sooyoung thought. She couldn't believe how ironic this whole situation was. 

“She’s messed up. Meet me at the rooftop when you’re done.” 

Burying her face in her palms, Taeyeon couldn't focus on marking any scripts anymore. She wanted so badly to know what happened to Yuri but did she even have the right to know after avoiding her own lover for almost two full weeks? She knew Yuri always looked at her longingly from afar but she couldn't react to it, to prevent anyone else knowing about them. 

No. 

Taeyeon couldn't stay in the staff room any longer, knowing that Yuri was messed up and definitely not okay. “Siwon! Can you help me mark these? I have to go help my weaker students in about ten minutes and I haven’t eaten yet…” Siwon chuckled and nodded his head, he couldn’t deny Taeyeon’s request when he saw how sad she looked with those huge puppy eyes.

After receiving the thumbs up from Siwon, Taeyeon tried to stop herself from running out of the staff room. She couldn't afford to delay anything when it came to Yuri; Yuri meant the world to her and she would never forgive herself if Yuri was at risk for anything. 

 

The rooftop door flew open, revealing a panting Taeyeon. She looked around and saw Sooyoung standing near the railings, looking out at the view. “Sooyoung?” Sooyoung turned around with the most serene expression Taeyeon had ever seen, something Sooyoung never showed in school. “Miss Kim, mind walking over? The view’s beautiful here and I have no intention of moving.”

Granted, views from rooftops will always be the most beautiful. 

Taeyeon made her way to the edge and stood beside Sooyoung, “what did you want to tell me about Yuri? Is she okay?” Sooyoung smirked, she turned towards Taeyeon and crossed her arms, “so you’re suddenly worried after avoiding her for so long? Didn’t you worry she’d feel hurt by that?” 

When Taeyeon started to blink her tears away, Sooyoung knew she hit the wrong spot. She just wanted to find out why Taeyeon was being so odd for the past two weeks, not make her upset like this. “Honestly,” Sooyoung sighed, “I just want to know why you’re avoiding Yuri. Do you have any idea how afraid she is? She doesn’t want to be clingy but she doesn’t want to lose you either.” 

Shakily sitting on the ground, Taeyeon clutched the bracelet around her wrist, “someone knows about us…” Sooyoung bent down next to Taeyeon with wide eyes and grabbed Taeyeon’s shoulders, “who is it?” Taeyeon shook her head, her arms wrapping around her body. She was dying to know who it was but neither she nor Yuri knew who it was. 

 

Silence engulfed the both of them as different thoughts ran through their minds, both drifting off to the same person eventually. Taeyeon knew that avoiding Yuri wasn't the best solution but she didn't want to jeopardize Yuri's education as well as her teaching career. Sooyoung, on the other hand, felt horrible for doubting Taeyeon's love for Yuri but at the same time, how could she neglect her own feelings? 

Sooyoung stood back up to her full height, her pitiful eyes going to Taeyeon, “I had no intention of telling you this… but for the sake of Yuri’s happiness, I will.” Taeyeon felt a nasty feeling enter her veins, she didn’t have a good feeling about what Sooyoung was about to reveal to her. “What is it?” Taeyeon couldn’t get her voice to rise above a whisper.

“I’m falling for her.”

“What?”

This was unbelieveable. 

Yuri has always thought of Sooyoung as nothing but her best buddy and a sister but obviously, it has only given Sooyoung the wrong idea. Taeyeon could remember the time when she was jealous because Yuri's fingers were interlocked with Sooyoung's as they walked along the hallway freely. If Taeyeon said that she didn't want to have that with Yuri, it was a complete lie. 

She might be 27 years old... but she also wanted to express her love freely. 

“Does Yuri know about this?” Taeyeon asked, standing up beside Sooyoung once again, “because I don’t want you to use your title as a best friend to get even closer to Yuri.”

Although Taeyeon’s words might mean that Sooyoung had a lesser chance of becoming Yuri’s lover, it made her smile inwardly. Yuri hadn’t fallen for the wrong person and neither did Taeyeon. Sooyoung might get hurt the most ultimately but if it was for Yuri, she would find it worth it no matter what. When Taeyeon revealed her reason for avoiding Yuri, Sooyoung knew she had already lost the battle before she even started.

Letting out a small chuckle, Sooyoung turned to leave, “don’t worry, I will always do what’s best for Yuri.”

 

 

---

 

 

Yuri was lying on her bed in the apartment she shared with Yoona, silently thanking the Gods that Yoona was busy with her class project so that she was left alone. If Yuri was being totally honest, she would rather be an orphan than have parents who left her outside the Im's door when she was only a baby. If it wasn't for Mrs Im who took her in, Yuri wouldn't even be here today. 

When she was sent to the school counsellor in her first year of high school, she knew she was screwed. She already had difficulties opening up about her heartfelt issues with someone as close to her as Yoona, much less a counsellor she had no connections with. 

Her phone started to ring, vibrating against her pillow. 

“Hello?”

“…..”

Yuri sat up against the headboard and her eyebrows met in the center, “hello? Is there someone on the line?” She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter