Entry 20: February 14, 2013

The Curse of Innamorata

“I-I actually like you, Em. I know it’s only been half a year since we’ve been friends, but I really really like you.”

February 14, 2013. It was our high school week that time. The moment I stepped out of the van to enter the building, I saw a lot of guys holding bouquets and girls giggling to one another. Oddly I heard some crying, too, and later on I learned that it was Luhan not accepting gifts from girls. I saw him once, with a girl, and they were standing in front of the corridor’s window, back at the end. I saw him smiling at her, and saw that her head was bowed down. He was rubbing the back of his head and he kept bowing and bowing down until she lifted her head back up. Then she said something before leaving. I saw him gazing out the window with his shoulders slumped down.

Somehow my feet brought me next to him.

My heart pounded, really hard, I needed to hold onto the window rails. He spared me a glance, and then set his gaze back out the window.

“You do know that I’m in love with the president, right?”

At that time, I didn’t. I really didn’t know that he liked the student council president and it hurt. My heart felt like it was being stepped on.

“O-oh, really?” I remember laughing dryly, to which he just looked at me. I could see from the sides of my right eye that he was looking at me. So no matter what I did, I needed to make sure that no tear would fall down.

Luckily, the tear fell out from my left eye.

“Really, Em. I really love her. Ever since.”

Pause. There was a pause. I couldn’t feel anything. The grip on the rails tightened, and the stepping on my heart fastened up like the feet were already running.

“So tell me, why did I just reject her?”

Before I could respond, even though I really didn’t know what to say, Sehun was running towards us with a bouquet of white roses in his hands.

“Emily!”

Luhan and I spun around, Sehun was panting hard, and the roses were beautiful.

“I-I actually like you, Em. I know it’s only been half a year since we’ve been friends, but I really really like you.”

That was probably the most confusing day I could ever have experienced.

I remember running out the corridor, I remember running while tears were flowing out. I remember sitting on a bench outside the building. I remember… Luhan running out and standing right in front of me. I remember not giving Sehun a reply.

“It’s you, isn’t it?” he asked, his eyes fixed on mine. The tears were still flowing out; they were still flowing because of him, and because of the thought that I had probably broken my best friend’s heart, too.

I didn’t answer. I didn’t know what he was asking about.

“It’s you, isn’t it, Em?”

“W-what?” I asked back, already wiping my tears because I at least wanted not to show him that I was hurting.

“You’re the reason why I rejected her, right?”

Pause. I remember gaping. I remember seeing something in his eyes that weren’t there before. I remember seeing Sehun coming out the building. I remember seeing him drop the roses when he heard Luhan say,

“I actually love you, Em. It’s been you, hasn’t it? And it’s been me for you, too, Em. It’s been us for each other. Am I wrong?”

I remember seeing Sehun bow his head down. I remember feeling guilty because maybe he had known all along. Maybe he had seen how I look at Luhan. Maybe he had seen how Luhan looked at me, too? I remember seeing Sehun walking back to the building. I remember wanting to run to him. I remember Luhan pulling me back. I remember him pulling me into his arms and saying, “don’t”

And I remember nodding.