Chapter Six

Just A Dream

It is finally the Sunday and I am more excited than ever as we stand in the arrivals area waiting for Liu and Mieko. After about waiting for about half an hour, Jongdae pointed to a woman, who was waving excitedly in our direction.

“There’s Liu, and Mieko’s right there behind her.” He whispered in my ear sending tingles down my spine. 

No Mei! Now’s not the time or place for those thoughts!

Liu and Mieko walked over to us and gave us huge hugs. Liu was tall-ish with beautiful curly brown hair, smooth skin and a brilliant smile while Mieko was Japanese with long,straight black hair done into a braid down her back with perfectly smooth skin and straight white teeth but where Liu looked as happy as she can get, Mieko looked like if she was just brought back from the dead.


 “Sorry about Mieko.” Liu said looking over to her sadly, “she hates flying and doesn’t sleep well on planes. After she gets some sleep she will be alright. Jongdae can you drop me and Mei off at the nearest funeral home then take Mieko to your guys’ house for some sleep?”

 “Sure.”

We stood there in silence for a minute or two then Jongdae clapped his hands together and said, “Well what are we waiting around for? Let’s go!”

We crammed their suitcases into the trunk then piled into the car. We drove for a while before pulling up to a huge stone building with daunting gargoyles mounted on the exterior of the building staring down on us with menacing stone eyes, haunting stone Angels were peppered all over the courtyard. The place gave off an eerie feeling and the coffins on display outside did not make anything better.

“Well, this is your stop.” Jongdae said pulling up along the driveway.

 “Wow,” said Liu, “this doesn’t look like a funeral home at all; it looks more like a gothic castle... I like it!”

“Well I think it looks like a murder house. I don’t like it. Look, see they have coffins outside already for whenever they kill someone in there.” I said half scared, half laughing.

 Liu sighed and rolled her eyes, “Come on Mei, let’s do this.”

We walked into the funeral home/probably haunted castle as Jongdae drove off with Mieko. Why does this place have to have stone Angels? They remind me of the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who so I keep my eyes on them until I am safely in the building. Liu and I walked up to the front desk but I zoned out and let her do the talking. 

I can’t believe that they’re really are dead, I’ll never get to know how my real parents were because they’re dead and I can’t even remember them and all Jongdae told me was that my mom's name was Hualing and that my dad's name was Jian and that they were amazing people despite their flaws and them pushing one of their daughters away. He also told me that they lived near Beijing before moving to Korea.

“Come on Mei,” Liu said bringing me out of my thoughts, “Jongdae’s waiting outside for us.”

 We got in the car and during the ride home Liu told us about some special people.

“I have a boyfriend, his name’s Yixing,” She sighed dreamily, “he’s coming soon as well as Mieko’s boyfriend Katashi. You’ll like them.”

-One Week Later-

It is the day of the funeral and I am sitting in the church in my own world as the priest conducts the ceremony. This morning I was go in denial that I did not want to get up or eat, Jongdae had to force me out of bed and into the shower, Liu had to force food into my mouth and Mieko had to get me into my short, lacy black dress for today because I was basically like a zombie this morning.

“You okay?” Mieko asked me. She was sitting next to me on the bench in church; Jongdae was on the other side of me holding my hand in his, gently rubbing it in an effort to console me.

“Yeah, I think so.”

Everyone was there, even Jongdae’s parents and his Halmeoni, who immediately smothered Liu and I with kissed and gave us condolence after condolence about our parents. She was just lovely-no adorable-no, she was adorably lovely. After the service, we went outside to bury my parents in the church yard. Liu decided to have them buried together since they loved each other so much. As they were being lowered into the ground, I cried but I did not let a lot of tears fall because I hate when people see me crying. I am supposed to be strong at times like these. After a few minutes of saying goodbye to everyone we went home. On the way back, Mieko announced that Katashi and Yixing will be coming soon for something very special.

 On Sunday afternoon, we head back to the airport to pick up Yixing and Katashi then we went out for lunch at a French restaurant and let me tell you, that was the best food ever, after that we went out on the town and just fooled around. By the time we got back home I was so tired that I went to bed early.

Liu

Mei said that she was going to bed early, it was only five o’ clock, poor girl, this must be taking a huge toll on her, first her memory is gone and now our parents are dead. I have to do something to make her feel better and I have the best plan to do so.

“Hey Jongdae?” I asked as I walked into the kitchen.

“Yeah?”

“Can I have the numbers for Mei’s friends?”

“Sure, but why?”

“I’m going to plan her wedding for her, I know she’s stressed out right now so I’m going to take this off her shoulders like a good big sis.”

Jongdae chucked and wrote down the numbers and said, “She couldn’t have had a better sister than you.”