I Feel Warm With You

Hands In The Dark

 

Kibum was running. His breath was short, painful, raspy. But it didn't hurt nearly as much as the other pain in his chest, the scratches on his bare feet, the rocks digging into his toes and flying behind him, or the hot tears stinging his red and bruising face as they ran down over it.

 

He didn't know where he was going. He just knew that he had to run away. That he couldn't stay in that house anymore. Everything was different and he wasn't the Kim Kibum that could sit back and bite his tongue any more. Not the boy that would avoid the facts in front of him and hope with all his might that things would change eventually.

 

For 18 years he'd survived like that.

 

All his life, he'd lived with knowing all the millions of things he wasn't supposed to know. His parents hated boys. They loved his sisters more than him and showed it by letting them do things he could never do and punishing him more extremely for the same things. They hated most the fact that he was gay, born that way, and that he loved art and dancing.

 

His sisters were intelligent, perfect, played sports, got perfect grades, we're going to great colleges the following year, and we're pursuing law and medical professions. To them, he was just a disappointment, an accident.

 

His grandma, the woman that loved him unconditionally, had been his savior. She'd invited him to stay over so he could clear his head and she'd showered him with affection, been his shoulder to cry on, and had listened to him rant. Rant about how much he hated his family yet loved them and how difficult every day was for him to hide how he was feeling.

 

She'd listen and then give him hot milk tea and tell him that it was a misunderstanding. She'd always say that his parents actually really loved him and that they thought he was special but just didn't know how to handle raising a boy. They just couldn't express themselves well with him.

 

He'd wanted to believe it so much. He'd hung on her every word, the only thing that allowed him to keep his hope.

 

But things never got better. His grades weren't the best so his parents had forced him to quit dancing and unless he got serious about school and tried for a 'real' profession, they'd said they'd kick him out of the house.

 

On the day this decision was made, the day he'd lost in the only fight he'd ever had with his parents, he'd needed his grandma so much. But she passed away, quietly in her sleep. He'd felt so lost afterwords. All the things that connected love, affection, confidence, and hope to his name seemed to be floating out of his reach.

 

His family, on the other hand, seemed to carry on as if nothing happened. When he'd received all failing grades on his report card a month later, they of course didn't understand. They didn't take pity on him. They didn't ask him why he'd been unable to study, why he was sunk in a funk of depression. They'd simply lectured him.

 

Kibum had snapped then. For the first moment in his life, he'd told them he hated them and would rather be kicked out of the house.

 

There was a shocked, pained expression on his mother's face that he'd never seen and didn't understand. He'd been only half surprised when his father had punched him in the jaw. He was relieved his sisters weren't there because it would have scared them.

 

Kibum had simply told them he wouldn't be back, didn't bother to grab his stuff, and without even putting on his shoes, left his home.

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

When he was worn out from running and his sore feet couldn't stand touching the cement anymore, he found a small alley and sat behind a large garbage been, hoping nobody could see his shamed figure. He rolled into a ball, his hands attempting to soothe his bleeding feet and sobbed uncontrollably. It was nearing twilight and there was hardly anybody around to his relief.

 

Kibum cried and held himself until he fell into a deep sleep, leaning against that green metal garbage bin that felt like the only thing of warmth he could possibly find.

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

Kibum woke up in a bright room in a simple, white sheeted bed the next morning, completely confused.

 

 

His clothes were changed into white pajamas and his sore feet had been cleaned and bandaged. His hair had been washed and smelled of fresh pine soap as did his skin. He looked around for something familiar. The room was simple and nearly empty except for the dresser and organized wooden desk. He'd never seen any of it before.

 

There was no one in sight and so he decided it might be best to just sneak out of the room and pretend none of this had ever happened. He was scared about what kind of person would do this to a stranger and what kind of erted intentions they might have. For all he knew, he could have something done to him. Though he felt very much still .

 

As soon as he set his feet on the floor to stand though, he howled out in pain.

 

“You shouldn't move around yet!” a worried yet soft and gentle voice came from the other side of the room.

 

He looked up in surprise to see a tall boy with soft medium-length brown hair and a pretty, nice-looking face. He had his thick eyebrows and plump lips pursed in worry and mild annoyance.

 

“Who are you?” Kibum asked nervously.

 

The boy walked over and gently lifted Kibum's legs back onto the bed. Then he crouched down on the bed next to him and smiled a bright, charming smile that strangely made Kibum's heart thump. Kibum blinked at him slowly, trying to clear things in his mind and judge the mysterious boy's next moments.

 

“My name is Jinki. Nice to meet you Kibum,” he said in that sweet, melodic voice.

 

Kibum gulped and looked down at his hands, feeling uncomfortable staring into his small, almond-shaped warm brown eyes any longer. The feeling he was getting from Jinki wasn't anything threatening, but rather it was too sweet and his stomach was doing small flips it had never done before.

 

“How did you know my name?” he mumbled.

 

“I saw it on your school card that was in the pocket of your jeans...” Jinki said slowly.

 

“Oh,” Kibum said, feeling dumb that he'd missed something so obvious.

 

“Kibum, what happened to you?” he asked with caution.

 

Kibum didn't answer. He felt warmth on his bruised cheek as Jinki gently caressed it with his palm.

 

“Okay then. Where do you live?” he asked next with gentle calmness.

 

Jinki could sense that something bad had happened to the boy and if he wasn't comfortable with talking about it, Jinki wouldn't press.

 

 

He'd come out of working at the bakery to see a sleeping, bleeding, blonde boy crouched by the dumpster bin. He'd tried to wake the stranger up, but when he just wouldn't Jinki had decided to take care of him.

 

Though the boy seemed to be adult enough to handle himself, Jinki felt this strange need to protect him. Possibly because he was so feminine and fragile-looking and he'd seemed so much like a stray kitten then.

 

“I don't have a home,” Kibum said in an obvious lie.


Jinki took it to mean he didn't want to return home or maybe he had run away. He moved his hand to play with the bright blonde locks. Kibum's feline eyes flickered to his with nervousness and curiosity.

 

“You're hair is really pretty,” Jinki said simply with a sweet, crooked smile on his face.

 

“Thanks,” Kibum said with a smile of his own.

 

Kibum's smile was sweet, innocent, and beautiful he thought. Especially the small dimples in his full cheeks.

 

“You can stay here as long as you want,” Jinki said without thinking.

 

Kibum's feline brown eyes popped open cutely and his pretty pink mouth moved in a round 'o' shape. Jinki smiled at him innocently. He didn't have any intentions, he just didn't want the boy to sleep out in the cold or hurt his feet again. He might catch a cold or get beat up or worse.

 

“Okay, thank you. I can cook to make up for your kindness,” Kibum murmured shyly.

 

“I'm looking forward to it,” he said warmly and Kibum's soft, curly blonde hair because it felt nice and he sensed the young boy might need some comfort.

 

Kibum blushed and looked down, a crooked smile he was holding back making his dimple show slightly.

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

Over the next few days, Jinki took care of Kibum and his feet started to heal. Kibum would cook for him when he got back to work, sitting on the stove as Jinki watched over him carefully. When Jinki was working at the bakery, since Kibum didn't see how or why he should go to school, he just watched movies from Jinki's bed.

 

Every day Jinki would come back with sweets because he'd discovered Kibum had liked them and they'd eat them together and watch movies. They'd joke and have random conversations, but Kibum didn't tell him what had happened that day or anything about his family.

 

Since it was a one room apartment, they slept on the same bed. But Jinki always kept his distance. Unless Kibum was crying in the middle of the night, in which case he'd comfort Kibum by his back or hair until he'd fallen back to sleep.

 

Jinki told Kibum everything about himself and Kibum found himself liking the man more and more.

 

He was intelligent, kind, clear-headed, caring, and sweet. He had a passion for baking, reading, and studying.

 

Kibum asked him a lot of questions and then because he felt it was rude he told Jinki about his passion for dancing and about his preferences for guys. He didn't talk about his family because it felt too recent, bitter, and painful. He missed them so much even if he felt he couldn't return.

 

A week after Kibum had been staying at Jinki's small apartment, not really thinking of what to do next or wanting to leave, Jinki brought up the conversation.

 

“Kibum, I figure you're having some problems with your family and ran away....”

 

When Kibum simply looked away from the TV and down into his hands, he figured he'd guessed right. Kibum had his strong jaw clamped shut, signaling he still wasn't intending on saying anything.

 

“I'm not kicking you out. I already said you can stay here for as long as you want or need,” he said reassuringly.

 

“But you know your family has been calling your phone. I think they are worried about you. Why don't you at least go home for a bit and have a talk with them?” he suggested slowly.

 

Kibum bit his full lip as tears filled his eyes. Jinki gently ran his fingers through his hair and moved to his side. Kibum leaned into his shoulder.

 

“Will you go with me?” Kibum asked shyly.

 

“If you need me, of course I'll go,” Jinki said gently.

 

Jinki risked something he'd wanted to do for awhile but was unsure of as he moved his arm from Kibum's hair to around his shoulder. Kibum snuggled more into his side and the feeling felt so warm, perfect and just right to him.

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

The next day Kibum and Jinki went by car to Kibum's home. Kibum bit his lip as he stood in front of the house and just stared at the door, half hoping that nobody would be home.

 

He was surprised, but pleasantly so, when he felt himself be pulled into strong arms against a wide chest.

 

“It's going to be okay, Kibum. If anything goes wrong you can still stay with me,” he said warmly.

 

Kibum was only able to nod his head against Jinki's chest, a blush coming across his face as his heart raced from his first hug. Jinki's arms were full of warmth and he liked being this close to his steadily thumping heart and smelling the pine scent of his soap.

 

Jinki released him, smiled sweetly and pushed him towards the house. Kibum looked over his shoulder at him and walked reluctantly to the door. Jinki waved and smiled in bright reassurance until Kibum was inside the door.

 

 

Kibum was able to talk to his entire family. His sisters hugged him and said that they'd missed him to death. His mother had cried, hugged him tight, and asked him where he'd been and if he was alright. His father apologized for hitting him.

 

He was happy to feel that they loved him in their own way and he apologized for his bad grades and explained why he'd been having a hard time. He didn't say that he'd felt mistreated and under appreciated his whole life.

 

When they'd asked him to move back in though, he'd refused without a thought. He didn't want to be with a family that didn't know how to treat him right, even if they did love him, he realized. They'd expected his adult decision and said that they would help support him and he was welcome to visit whenever he wanted.

 

It wasn't the fairytale ending he'd imagined so long ago, but he was filled with hope again. His grandma's words had been right. He felt like she was filling him with strength to walk away and do the right thing for himself.

 

As soon as he stepped out of his old home, this time with a bag of many of his things and clothes, Jinki was waiting by his car. He spotted Kibum and smiled brightly, his eyes crinkling and his full cheeks flaring out. Kibum couldn't resist smiling brightly back.

 

When he stepped down the stairs, the walkway and nearing Jinki, Jinki held his arms out wide. Unreserved, Kibum threw himself into them and wrapped his arms tight around the slightly bigger man.

 

It felt so much warmer and calming in Jinki's arms than it had in his home.

 

“This is where I want to stay,” he murmured in satisfaction.

 

 

When he realized what he'd said, he blushed and stepped away from Jinki. Jinki grinned softly and opened the car door for him. When they got inside, Jinki fastened his seat belt like he was a kid which made him roll his eyes in amusement.

 

“So everything went okay?” Jinki asked curiously as he pulled the car away from the curb.

 

Kibum nodded.

 

“But I still just can't live with them after everything,” he said solemnly.

 

Jinki's warm hand threaded through his and Kibum felt his heart jumping. He gulped, blushed and tried to look coolly out the window.

 

“I said you could stay with me as long as you need to and I meant it,” he said seriously.

 

“But your place is so small. Eventually you're going to want to bring girls back and it will be awkward with me there...” Kibum reasoned.

 

“It's the perfect size for two. And when did I ever say I liked girls?” Jinki said playfully with a crooked smile.

 

 

Kibum blushed pink.

 

“Well-I just-I just assumed...” he stammered, feeling even more nervous with this new news.

 

“I do have someone I like though.”

 

“Oh...that's good...” Kibum said calmly, though the news saddened him somehow.

 

Kibum had been afraid to hope again but it seemed he had anyway. Now it was dashed.

 

He looked out the window, trying to hold back his tears, and loosened his grip on Jinki's hand. Jinki released his hand to put it on the gear shift.

 

Jinki parked the car and got out faster than Kibum could. He walked over to the car door, opened it, and gently took Kibum's hand and helped him out. Kibum looked up at him in confusion when he dropped his stuff in the empty seat, closed the door, and leaned Kibum against it, putting himself dangerously close.

 

Jinki brushed his blonde hair and then the nearly healed bruise on the side of his face. Kibum looked up at him nervously and gulped. His sweet gaze was too intense, too hypnotizing. Like nothing Kibum had ever seen and as much as he felt he should look away, he couldn't.

 

“I like you, Kibum. You like me too, don't you?” he whispered.

 

Kibum nodded simply, his lips pursed together as he was speechless and dazed. Jinki's eyes darted to his lips and Kibum blushed shyly. He unconsciously flicked his tongue to wet them because they felt dry.

 

“As long as you like me, stay in my home please,” Jinki murmured, his other hand coming up to play with Kibum's hair and caress his other cheek as well.

 

Kibum nodded again. He'd never been so quiet until he met Jinki, but somehow he just got so overwhelmed he just clammed up around him.

 

“Always so obedient, so adorable,” Jinki murmured as he closed the gap between them for a sweet kiss.

 

Kibum's eyes fluttered close and he stood on his now healed toes to kiss him more comfortably. His first kiss was loving, warm, and not rushed. Still it made his heart race and want more.

 

Jinki gently took Kibum's hand that had fisted into his jacket and laced their fingers together.

 

“I don't want to go to school anymore...” he said quietly, changing the subject and directing his heated gaze to Jinki's shoulder.

 

 

Jinki wrapped his arm around Kibum's small waist and led him to the apartment door.

 

“If you don't want to, that's fine. What do you want to do instead? Work at the bakery with me?”

 

“Yeah,” Kibum said bluntly. “I want to be with you everyday and I like making sweets.”

 

“I get to spend every day and night with you? That sounds wonderful,” Jinki said lowly and kissed Kibum's cheek softly.

 

“Doesn't it?” Kibum chuckled, still blushing from all his happiness and all the sweet affection from Jinki.

 

As soon as they got inside, Kibum went to the closet to put his stuff up next to Jinki's. Though he'd been living with Jinki for a while, now it felt more permanent like they were going to be a couple living together. But he didn't even know what was supposed to happen after two boys admitted to liking each other.

 

Kibum went into the kitchen after putting his stuff up in the bathroom and took milk out of the fridge. Jinki was setting up pastries on a plate from the bakery he'd been to the day before. He heated them in the microwave and Kibum poured them two glasses of milk since they liked to drink it when they ate sweets together.

 

They went into the bedroom and ate in silence as they watched yet another movie. Kibum just never got tired of watching movies and Jinki didn't like to talk much.

 

Jinki scooted closer to Kibum and ran his hands absently along Kibum's soft arms. Kibum snuggled shyly to his side and took his other hand in his. They cuddled for awhile. Kibum didn't understand what was happening but he felt incredibly nervous and his heart was racing out of control.

 

“Kibum, I love you. Do you know what that means?” Jinki said hotly next to his ear.

 

“That you really, really like me?” Kibum asked innocently.

 

 

Jinki pushed the plate away and gently laid Kibum on the bed. He laid next to him on his side and gazed down at the blond boy. Kibum looked up at him with trust, innocence, and confusion.

 

“It means we're dating,” Jinki said bluntly and traced his finger down Kibum's chiseled cheek.

 

Kibum rounded his lips and widened his eyes in surprise. “Oh,” he said tonelessly.

 

Jinki chuckled.

 

“You're so cute, Kibum,” he whispered huskily and leaned in to kiss Kibum's cheek slowly.

 

When he looked back up, Kibum was blushing furiously and shutting his eyes tight.

 

“Do you know what couples do, Kibum?” he whispered teasingly as he trailed a calming hand up Kibum's shirt.

 

Kibum looked up at him with heat and adorable confusion in his eyes.

 

“They make love,” Jinki whispered as he trailed kisses across Kibum's cheek.

 

Kibum kissed him lightly when he was close enough. Jinki kissed him more passionately and gently pressed his hand into him. Kibum moaned softly in the back of his throat. Jinki pulled away and looked down at Kibum with a pleased expression.

 

“Do you not know what that is either?” Jinki said teasingly.

 

The blushing Kibum shook his head no and his shy, nervous expression showed he knew just what it meant.

 

“Well, that's good,” he said with a chuckle.

 

Jinki went back to kissing him slowly and touching his chest. Kibum was shy, awkward, and new to it but he enjoyed the touches and sweet kisses. He wasn't so elementary that he didn't understand the heat in his body or Jinki's intentions when he gently tugged at his pajama pants.

 

Not long after, they were and kissing in the sheets, Jinki exploring greedily and Kibum shyly. It wasn't full of crazy passion or wild like other might be, it was just sweet, warm, slow, relaxed and right. Jinki took care of Kibum and coaxed him through all the pain so he could feel pleasure and bliss.

 

During the after math of their , the skinny, perfect blonde clung to Jinki's shoulders, his nails slightly biting into him in a pleasing way.

 

“Jinki, I love you,” Kibum moaned with soft, sweet pleasure weaving through his husky, quiet voice.

 

Kibum buried his head shyly in the crook of Jinki's shoulder, feeling awkward after his first experienced was finished. Jinki wrapped him in his arms affectionately and slowed his raspy breathing.

 

“I was waiting so long for you to say it,” Jinki murmured with the happiest, most satisfied of all smiles on his face.

 

Jinki reached up to gently brush the back of Kibum's soft, golden hair and rolled them to their sides, bodies still tangled pleasantly. Kibum reached his hand up to Jinki's chest to feel his racing heart that was just like his own.

 

“It's so warm here,” he said sleepily as he laid his cheek to Jinki's chest.

 

Jinki kissed the top of his head.

 

“It's because it's full of my feelings for you,” he said lovingly.

 

Kibum smiled brightly against his chest and Jinki could tell he was blushing again.

 

“I'm too cheesy, right?” he said with a chuckle.

 

Kibum shook his head lightly.

 

“No, I like it. You're just perfect with the amount of cheesiness I love.”

 

 

 

Krystal Alesa baby, I hope you never get like this and run away. But even if you do, there is still hope. You are truly loved by so many people and there will always be a place for you where it feels warm, where you can hope and dream. Maybe that places is AFF or Kpop or youtube or tumblr or a friend's house, but either way I know you have this place. Never give up! You are special, sweet, adorable, kind, and strong. I love you! :D

 

-Rachel Unni