Retractable Wings

Hands In The Dark

Just to avoid confusion, Jong Hyun in this story is Lee Jong Hyun, your Cn Blue bias ^_^

 

Grateful for the anonymity of night, Park Jung Min slipped into the empty church and bolted the heavy-set wooden doors, behind him.

For one blissful moment, the thrill of sneaking around, in the middle of the night, made him forget about his terrible day and all the problems that the previous few weeks had brought. The church was completely quiet and only the faint, golden glow of a few lit candles shimmered off of the glazed, wooden pews.

Jung Min had to admit that the contrast of the essentially abandoned church, with the bustling, worshipping and enthused atmosphere that the holy building usually had on Sundays, was brilliant. The silence allowed him to imagine what church might have been like, hundreds -even thousands- of years ago, and he was able to become absorbed in a delicious fantasy of monks chanting almost ominously and nuns gathering in their shrouding robes.

He found it refreshing to be able to focus only on his surroundings; not on prayers that were no longer anymore than mindless words, and for the first time, Jung Min felt that there might actually be a chance for him to really communicate with God.

With this comforting bit of hope for spiritual connection in mind, Jung Min dropped to his knees in front of the alter, the contact his joints made with the cold marble floor echoing off of the ancient walls. He folded her hands and closed his eyes and from his lips came not the Lord's Prayer, or any other documented verbal offering.

From his lips came only two simple words:

"Help me."

Jung Min was becoming sick and tired of his stagnant and draining lifestyle. Each day, he would rise early in the morning, only to be met by the teasing and cold shoulders of his fellow classmates, at the boys' school he attended, and piles and piles of tests and assignments, none of which he really felt motivated to study for.

He wasn't sure what it was, exactly, that he had done to become the subject of his classmates' mockery. Maybe it was because he was friendly to them, regardless of how rude they were, and they were desperate to force him to react. Perhaps it was because he wasn't outgoing and wasn't interested in the popular styles, music and sports that "everyone else" devoured.

Or maybe it was because Jung Min wasn't sure if it was girls he was romantically interested in, or boys.

He hadn't meant for this aspect of his life to be revealed. He, himself, wasn't even sure "which way he swung". All he knew was that when, at the beginning of the new school semester, the handsome new student that had come all the way from Japan joined his classes, he wasn't able to stop his heart from fluttering.

At first, Jung Min was convinced that his feelings of attraction existed only because he admired the new student's physical appearance. But, when the two young men wound up working on a project together later that week, and his heart wouldn't stop pounding, nor could he stop blushing, Jung Min began to realize that maybe his feelings ran quite a bit deeper than simply wishing for such a physique.

Jung Min wasn't too shocked with the revelation that he was interested in another man, and wouldn't have had a problem keeping this to himself.

Only, this didn't remain personal information, for it took only a few days for the other students to start teasing him about his blushing face whenever he worked with his project partner, and ultimately, the entire school, including the object of Jung Min's affection, had begun to laugh at him, call him rude names and ostracize the already unpopular young man.

The poor boy had spent the previous three weeks being the victim to foul words and brutal beatings. There were even times when he wished that he was a girl, instead. Then, maybe, just maybe, his crush might actually return his feelings and they could have a relationship...

Pathetically predictably, however, Jung Min had no such luck. And to make matters worse, his parents were constantly sending him less-than-loving letters, interrogating him as to why it was, exactly, that his school marks were decreasing, horribly, and expressing their disappointment in him. Jung Min wanted to explain, and stand up for himself, asking them, rhetorically, if they'd be able to focus on studying if they were beaten up on a regular basis. But he could do no such thing, as his parents would then ask why he was being bullied, and there was no way that Jung Min would tell them that it was because he had a crush on another man.

Jung Min knew, without having to experiment or ask, that his parents reaction to finding out that he wanted a boyfriend would make his classmates seem to be the most caring, considerate and accepting group on Earth, in comparison.

And so, the young man had no choice but to bear his burdens and bruises in secret. He had managed, thus far, but he was nearly at breaking point, and wanted to feel, more than anything, that he wasn't alone.

A tear burned down Jung Min's fair skin, as he continued his silent supplications for help. He wasn't even sure if God was his most viable source of help, anymore. What if he was subjected to more merciless troubles, as punishment for being attracted to men?

The thought only drew more tears from his yet to be dry eyes. His interest in other men wasn't just something he could turn off. He was helpless to stop it. But if it was against God's will...

A sudden, explosive crash, seemingly from behind the alter, snapped Jung Min's eyes open, in alarm.

"Oh shoot!... "

"Not again! Geez!"

Jung Min froze, as he listened to the two unmistakeably male voices.

Who else would be visiting the church, at this hour?

"Oww...I think I landed on the candelabra..." The first voice moaned, in pain.

"Well it serves you right!" The second voice chided. "Seriously, Jong Hyun, last week you broke a set of candles and yesterday you knocked over the entire vat of holy water...I heard the alterboys talking and they're starting to get suspiscious! If you're not careful, people are going find out about us..."

"Aww, give him a break, Jaejoong," a third voice intervened, soothingly. "He's still new to this."

"You won't be saying 'give him a break', if he causes another accident, and a priest happens to be here, now will you, Yunho?" The second voice seemed to belong to an extremely irrate "Jaejoong". "Next thing you know, we're going to become the exhibit of the next mass..."

"I'm sorry..." 'Jong Hyun' apologized, meekly.

"...It's okay, I guess. You're lucky we're supposed to be patient and forgiving!"

Jung Min frowned in confusion. What the heck was going on behind the alter?!

The young man began to worry that maybe, the voices belonged to burglars. What if "Jong Hyun", "Jaejoong" and "Yunho" were dangerous people? What if they found him?

Thinking quickly, Jung Min began to search frantically about the church, raking the building with his eyes and trying to decide if it was a better idea to hide, or make a run for it. One thing he knew for sure, was that he wouldn't stand a chance if he confronted them- he already wasn't very strong to begin with, and if there were three perpetrators...

Concluding that he stood more of a chance at escaping in one piece if he threw it all down and bolted, Jung Min slowly got up on his feet, and eyed the door, before shooting a furtive glance at the alter. So far, he hadn't yet seen the three men, and he only hoped that they were unaware of his presence...

"There you are, Jung Min! We've been trying to find you forever...!"

Jung Min's eyes nearly popped out of their sockets as he swivelled around in terror. Sure enough, there were three men emerging from behind the alter, and a cold chill ran up his spine as he realized, with shock, that one of them had addressed him by name.

Were they maniac stalkers?

Without thinking twice, Jung Min sprinted towards the church doors. So much for a safe haven to think...

"Wait!" Jong Hyun called (Jung Min was pretty sure it was Jong Hyun).

But Jung Min certainly did not wait, and did not stop, until, about three quarters of the way to the door, Jong Hyun flew right in front of him.

Flew?!

It was to Jung Min's absolute horror that he noticed large, white and feathery wings spanning out from Jong Hyun's back. Were he thinking with human rationality, Jung Min might have thought that Jong Hyun was a robber, dressing up in a costume to avoid being recognized (although he didn't seem to have made any attempt to cover his face). But no costume he had ever seen actually allowed the wearer to levitate, and sure enough, Jong Hyun was floating several feet from the ground.

Jung Min's scream filled the church, more than the joined congregation on Christmas. Suddenly, he found himself wishing that some of the bullies from school would pop out of a corner and make fun of him for being such a "girl" and falling for their prank. Even being punched until he bruised and teased until he cried seemed like a more promising outcome than being bludgeoned to death by a flying maniac...

But, as Jung Min looked into Jong Hyun's face, with sheer fright, he was surprised to find genuine sadness and concern in the admittedly handsome features, rather than mockery and maliciousness.

"Please don't be scared..." Jong Hyun nearly begged. "I'm not going to hurt you..."

But despite the gentle reassurance, Jung Min flinched away from the...creature.

"Oh, now look what you've done!" Jaejoong's voice echoed down the aisle, as he stomped his way over to the two men, with Yunho following close behind. "Really, showing him your wings?! Jong Hyun, look at how scared he is! How would you feel if you were in his place, and some great bird suddenly started chasing after you?"

"Joongie-"

"Not now, Yunho! We've got an important mission, and things will just go to pot if Jung Min is too afraid to even talk to us! Then we might as well just go back home!"

Amidst the bickering, Jung Min was able to calm down for a brief moment, and he looked at the three individuals who had quite literally just walked into his life.

Despite his clear frustration, Jaejoong possessed an effeminate beauty, of a kind that Jung Min had never seen before. His milky white complexion seemed to have a moonlight sheen to it, and his feathery hair complimented his features in a balance that was closer to perfection than anything Jung Min had ever encountered.

Where Jaejoong was delicate, Yunho was the epitome of masculinity. His features were tanned and chiseled, and Jung Min felt a general vibe of manliness radiating from Yunho... that is, if he wasn't currently being severely lectured by Jaejoong.

Jung Min's gaze finally returned, with significantly more calm, to Jong Hyun. The apparent "mess up" of the trio seemed to fall between his two companions, in terms of looks. There was slight femininity about him, yet Jung Min could see defined muscles tracing Jong Hyun's shirt and, now that Jong Hyun had somehow rid himself of his wings, Jung Min couldn't help but to feel safe in his presence. Only, Jong Hyun seemed very sad and dejected- no doubt because he had terrified Jung Min.

It was after this once over of his new, if not self-imposed, company that Jung Min decided that Jaejoong, Yunho and Jong Hyun were...individuals that he could trust. He still wasn't sure who they were, exactly, or what they were, for that matter, nor did he have a clue how they clearly knew who he was, but he didn't mind their presence, at all.

"Umm...Excuse me...?" Jung Min began, causing Jaejoong to immediately stop lecturing Yunho and Jong Hyun.

Three heads turned to him, and Jung Min blushed.

"I think we owe you an explanation," Jaejoong finally said, speaking for the two others, as well.

-----

"What?!" Jung Min exclaimed, in disbelief, nearly leaping up from where he sat, on the floor of the church, in a small circle with the three others.

"Look...I know it's hard to believe, but we're telling you the truth. We really are angels," Jaejoong persisted, as the three heavenly beings braced themselves for a round of human disbelief.

"No...it's not that I don't believe that you're angels," Jung Min said, causing the three quite a bit of shock. "It's just I..." Jung Min stopped and blushed a deep crimson, stopping himself just in time.

"It's just what?" Yunho prodded, kindly. "You can tell us; we're here to help you, after all."

Jung Min nodded, chewing his lip in embarrassment, as he looked at his fidgeting hands, folded in his lap. Had he been looking up, he might have noticed the light blush and small smile on Jong Hyun's face, as he mentally noted how much he found the young human cute.

"I-It's just I-I...I never really thought that God would think that I'm worth the trouble sending angels to..."

There was a heavy silence in the church, and Jung Min closed his eyes, fresh tears sliding down his cheeks again. He should have known better. Angels or not, there was no way that anyone could ever love someone as pitiful as he felt...

How surprised he was, indeed, when he felt a pair of surprisingly strong, warm arms around his trembling frame.

"Please don't cry," Jong Hyun whispered. "I hate seeing you cry..."

Both Jaejoong and Yunho joined in hugging Jung Min, as the latter sobbed against Jong Hyun's shoulder. Never before had anyone spared a moment to listen to him, and had actually cared about what he had to say, and it felt liberating to cry, freely.

Jung Min was sure that he would have been freezing cold, on the marble floor, in the middle of the night, had he been alone. But Jong Hyun's arms were so very warm, and Jaejoong and Yunho provided even more added loving insulation against the biting sting of loneliness and despair.

At that moment, the church really felt like the safest place on Earth.

When Jung Min finished shedding all of his tears, he was absolutely exhausted.

And he was hungry.

Almost as if reading into Jung Min's thoughts, Jaejoong smiled.

"When was the last time you ate?" He inquired, knowingly.

"..." Jung Min opened his mouth, but couldn't answer. He had stopped coming down, regularly, to the common hall for meals- all that ever lead to was more teasing from his classmates. Of course, his absence at meals had only lead to more bullying, with students laughing and suggesting that he was trying to stay skinny so that he'd fit into girls' clothing.

"Yunnie, lets go and get take out!" Jaejoong exclaimed, excitedly, seizing Yunho's hand. Ordering take out (especially from the drive-thru), was Jaejoong's favorite "human" activity. That the "voice in the box" knew what he wanted to order was a phenomenal thing for him.

"Jong Hyun, make sure you take good care of Minnie...!" Jaejoong added, as he and Yunho left the church.

Both Jong Hyun and Jung Min blushed; especially Jung Min, as he realized that he was still wrapped up in Jong Hyun's arms.

"Are they really going to bring take out into the church?" Jung Min asked, wondering if such an action was disrespectful.

Jong Hyun smiled, giving no indication that he was going to stop cuddling Jung Min.

"God really isn't nearly as strict and mindful as He is in your Bible," Jong Hyun said, hugging Jung Min, affectionately.

Jung Min smiled, automatically snuggling against Jong Hyun and leaning into the angel's neck. Suddenly, his school "crush" really didn't seem to matter, anymore.

"How long can you stay with me?" Jung Min asked, quietly, after awhile. There was a tone of sadness in his voice, as he feared that Jong Hyun would not be at his side for much longer. Everything seemed far too good to be true.

"For your entire life, if you want me to," Jong Hyun answered, giving Jung Min a pleasant surprise.

"Really?" Jung Min asked, in a whisper.

"Really," Jong Hyun smiled. "And we can be together, even after that...only if I stay with you forever, I won't be an angel, anymore."

"Why?" Jung Min implored, still speaking softly. "Why would you do all of this for me?"

"Because I love you," Jong Hyun answered, without hesitation. "All this time that we've been watching over you, I've loved you."

With that, Jong Hyun bent his neck and caught Jung Min's lips in a long, deep kiss. He unfolded his wings, letting them press Jung Min even closer to him, in soft comfort.

When they broke apart, Jung Min stared up at his literally divine lover.

"Isn't this bad...? Isn't God displeased when a man loves another man?" He asked, with worry, as he remembered a passage from the Bible.

Jong Hyun smiled and shook his head.

"Then Jaejoong and Yunho would've had their titles as angels revoked a long time ago."

Jung Min's eyes widened in surprise.

"They're together, then?"

Jong Hyun chuckled and nodded, then kissed his new lover, again.

"Just like us..."

Jung Min flushed, then relaxed, with content, against Jong Hyun's body.

Upon feeling Jung Min's body lean heavily against him, with fatigue, Jong Hyun smiled and carefully lifted the delicate human, lay down on a pew, and set Jung Min on top of him. When Jung Min shivered, a little, Jong Hyun sat up slightly, and unfolded his wings, once again, letting them coccoon around Jung Min's body.

Jung Min smiled. The combined heat of Jong Hyun's body, and his feathered wings offered more comfort than even the thickest down blanket, on the coldest night. It wasn't long before he fell into a deep, untroubled and much deserved sleep.

Jong Hyun simply watched his lover sleep, rubbing his back, in lullaby motions, until Jaejoog and Yunho returned to the church, bags of takeout in hand.

"We've brought-Oh! Poor thing!" Jaejoong scrambled over to Jung Min, after ing his bag of takeout in Yunho's already full arms, without so much as a second glance at his lover.

"He must be so tired..."

Jong Hyun smiled down at his little Jung Min, who was still fast asleep, despite Jaejoong and Yunho's sudden entry.

Yunho joined the two others, setting the takeout bags on the pew, sitting down, and pulling Jaejoong onto his lap.

"I've decided I'm going to stay with him," Jong Hyun informed his friends.

Yunho grinned.

"We thought so. I mean, you talk about him all the time!"

Jong Hyun blushed, but smiled, nonetheless.

"Then you'd better let us visit you," Jaejoong said, gracefully pulling out a styrofoam box of noodles, so as to minimize the rustling sounds of the bag. "And when we do, make sure you order takeout."

 

I decided to get creative and pair up two of your biases ^^

This one is for you to know that even when you feel alone and sorrowful there will always be someone to listen to you and be there for you :)

Hope you enjoyed!

x Angela <3