Chapter 6 - Home

Opening Doors

For the first time in a long time, Byungjoo cracked his eyes open first the next morning, arms curled around Hansol as she slept with her head hidden against Byungjoo’s chest. Chuckling to himself, Byungjoo made sure that he didn’t move too much before he leaned down, pressing a little kiss to the top of Hansol’s head.

He was happy that she was able to sleep through the night despite being literally tangled with him, her legs twined between Byungjoo’s and arms wrapped tightly around his waist. But still her eyes stayed closed, soft exhalations of sleep felt on his chest.

“Good morning, beautiful miss,” he mumbled, Hansol fidgeting in her spot but still not waking up. She nuzzled her head against Byungjoo’s chest further, Byungjoo simply smiling to himself as he remained still.

He didn’t even know what time it was, but judging from the sunlight in the room it was about the same time they’d woken up the day before. Covering his eyes with his hand for only a moment, Byungjoo reached down and grabbed the blanket, covering them both with it as Hansol finally cracked her eyes open. She looked around, sniffling a bit as she yawned and then turned her attention to Byungjoo.

“Why is the blanket up so high?” she asked, Byungjoo unsure if she was fully awake or still mostly sleeping. He just smiled, pushing her hair off of her face before he wrapped his arm around her to give her a little squeeze.

“It’s bright outside and I want you to be able to sleep,” he replied, Hansol staring at him in drowsy confusion before she nodded.

“That makes sense,” she mumbled, head immediately nuzzled back against Byungjoo’s chest as she zoned out again. Byungjoo just quietly watched her, fingers absently running through her hair until he fell asleep again, too.

They didn’t wake up until hours later.

Hansol hesitantly opened her eyes, brows furrowed and in something of a daze as she looked from the blanket that was fully covering them to Byungjoo still asleep next to her. When she remembered what had happened she smiled, stretching a bit in her spot and yawning as Byungjoo opened his eyes and rubbed them with one hand.

“What time is it?” he asked, voice coming out in a tired, hoarse croak as Hansol puffed her cheeks and shrugged. “I’m scared to look. It’s probably really late,” he finished, Hansol staring at him for a moment before she lifted the blanket and looked at her clock. All of a sudden she covered them both up again, trying not to laugh as she nodded.

“It’s really late,” she replied, Byungjoo groaning and covering his face as he stifled another yawn. “Do you just want to stay in bed, or do you wanna go somewhere?” Byungjoo groaned again, lips pursed in thought before he pulled the blanket off of his face and sighed.

“Let’s get out of here for a bit. I have a bit of housework that I have to do later, though, so I’ll have to drop you off home afterward and then peace out,” he said, Hansol just nodding as she sat up.

“That’s fine,” she replied, grinning and looking out the window before she stood and walked toward it to open it. Byungjoo just stared, having completely forgotten that Hansol was only wearing a long shirt and he felt his cheeks heat up. He cleared his throat as he sat up, Hansol turning to look at him with confused brows. “Are you okay?” she asked, Byungjoo nodding.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” he responded, mussing his hair as he stood and grabbed his bag. “I’m just gonna go change clothes, I’ll be right back.” Hansol nodded, turning back around to go through one of her drawers and find something and Byungjoo couldn’t stop himself as he looked her over. He bit his lip, forcing his eyes away and walking into the bathroom to change.

By the time he’d finished Hansol had already straightened up the bed and changed, opting to stay comfortable for the day and only wearing a bit of makeup as she waited for Byungjoo. Lying back on the bed, she ignored her mussed hair and instead grabbed Byungjoo’s phone, playing a game idly as Byungjoo walked back into her room.

“Who takes a long time to get ready now?” she asked, Byungjoo quirking a brow and rolling his eyes as he reached down and pulled her up to stand. She yelped, laughing and colliding with Byungjoo before pushing him away and slipping out the door and to Byungjoo’s car. Byungjoo followed close behind, bag of clothes in hand. He tossed the bag in the backseat, opening the door for Hansol and letting her get in before he walked to the driver’s seat and sat down.

“I’m not really up for the mall today, Hansol,” Byungjoo said, Hansol turning to look at him with slightly pursed lips as she nodded.

“That’s fine. It’s a nice day, so we could just relax outside,” she suggested, leaning back against the seat and watching as Byungjoo smiled and nodded.

“There’s a park nearby. Do you wanna go hang out there for a bit?” he asked, Hansol smiling as she nodded in response.

“I like parks.”

With that Byungjoo steered the car toward the park, idle chatter taking place between songs and on the way to the little playground that was situated in the center of the field. They passed a few people playing basketball but they paid them no mind, instead heading toward the swings and making sure they weren’t taking any of the younger children’s spots as Hansol sat down.

“It’s really pretty out,” Hansol said happily, gripping the chains as Byungjoo watched her. He smiled, nodding and never once looking away from Hansol as he started to push her.

“Yeah, it’s really pretty,” he replied quietly, grinning as he watched her. “Want me to push you higher?”

The entire time they were on the swings they simply talked, making jokes and watching the kids around them play. It was relaxing, something nice and peaceful between school days, and both of them were enjoying themselves. Eventually Byungjoo stopped pushing Hansol, instead sitting down on the swing beside her as she slowed to only slight movement, feet tracing patterns in the sand under them.

Byungjoo couldn’t help it when he stared.

She looked beautiful.

Biting his lip, Byungjoo looked down and sighed, Hansol turning to him with a slight frown.

“What? What are you thinking about?” she asked quietly, Byungjoo shrugging and shaking his head.

“I just… Have you thought any more about telling your mom?” he asked in reply, Hansol’s smile immediately dropping. Byungjoo saw her grip onto the chains of the swing a bit tighter and she let her head fall forward, swallowing deeply.

“I’ve thought about it,” she started, nodding, “but I haven’t done anything else.” Byungjoo leaned his head on the chain of the swings as she looked at him with a little sigh. “When I was little, I asked my mom for a dress for Christmas once,” she said, glancing in front of her instead. “I was a kid. I didn’t know that dresses weren’t what I was supposed to wear. It was pretty and it made me feel good, so I wanted it.” Byungjoo listened in silence, brows furrowed. “My mom told me that she was disgusted that I had even thought abut it. A year later I asked for a cute hat and the same thing happened. Once I bought a cute shirt for myself with my allowance, but I didn’t know how to hide stuff back then. She found it and I watched her cut it up. I almost cried.” At that she turned back to Byungjoo, frowning. “I almost don’t even want to tell her.”

“You have to eventually,” Byungjoo said, reaching out to rest his hand on Hansol’s knee. He’d twisted the chains of the swing so that he was facing Hansol, and she sighed shakily. “Not right now, but eventually. She needs to know. She’s your mom, she’ll accept it somehow. Maybe now that you’re older, it’ll be easier for her to grasp that you’ve thought about it.” Hansol looked down at Byungjoo’s hand, blinking at it and smiling a bit.

“I don’t know if I could handle this without you here,” she admitted quietly, Byungjoo grinning as he shrugged and patted the same spot on her knee.

“I know. I’m the greatest friend ever, admit it,” he teased, Hansol almost immediately huffing as she reached out and pushed the swing sideways. Byungjoo nearly lost his balance as he laughed, Hansol smiling happily and about to stand when Byungjoo felt a vibration in his pocket and he pulled out his phone.

Hey, Byungjoo, come hang with us.

Byungjoo made a face at the text, rolling his eyes as Hansol looked at him.

“What’s up? Who’s that?” she asked, cocking her head as Byungjoo groaned and stared at the screen.

“It’s ing Sangwon, probably trying to get me to go smoke with him and Sanggyun,” he replied, Hansol scrunching her nose in distaste as Byungjoo looked up. He could see the little frown on her lips.

“Are you gonna go?” she asked, Byungjoo staring at her and trying to ignore the hint of sadness in her tone. Instead he just smiled softly, reaching up and cupping her cheek for a moment.

“Why would I leave my best friend that I love spending time with alone in the park?” he replied, Hansol smiling down at him before he mussed her hair and she let out a bit of a squeak in protest. “Just give me a second.” Hansol grumbled something about needing to fix her hair as Byungjoo looked down at his phone, typing out a quick reply.

Can’t. Already made plans. We’ll talk later.

He sent the text and looked back at Hansol, watching her as she played with her hair. He didn’t know how much he was staring until Hansol looked at him, their eyes meeting for only a moment before she smiled and looked away. Byungjoo was certain he could see a hint of red on her cheeks but he said nothing, instead looking down at his phone as it buzzed again.

Lameass. Unless you’re on a date. Someone said they saw you with a chick at the mall, you two in’ yet? Heard she was cute.

Byungjoo stared at the screen, blinking a few times before he chuckled and rolled his eyes, biting his lip.

“Apparently someone saw us at the mall yesterday and thought we were on a date,” he said softly, Hansol immediately going red as she turned to look at him with wide eyes. She opened to say something but Byungjoo shook his head, flicking a bit of hair out of his face. “Yeah, apparently I was on a date with a cute girl yesterday,” he added, Hansol’s expression immediately softening as she blinked.

“They… I passed as a girl?” she asked quietly, Byungjoo watching as Hansol smiled and laughed to herself. She looked a bit proud, and Byungjoo couldn’t help the bright smile that lit up his expressions. Be it the makeup or the clothes or how Hansol had done her hair the day before, someone had looked at her and thought that she was a cute girl, and Hansol looked pleased.

Byungjoo had to agree with the statement, as well.

“Wait a minute,” she added suddenly, looking up at Byungjoo with a quirked brow. “They thought we were on a date?” she asked, Byungjoo laughing before he stood and pulled her up with him.

“Apparently. those guys, though. I’m not hanging out with them tonight. But I do need to get home,” he said, Hansol pouting as they walked back to Byungjoo’s car.

It wasn’t a long drive, the two simply talking about school and Hansol still looking quite proud of herself. When they pulled into Hansol’s driveway she slipped out, walking to the other side of the car to give Byungjoo a hug through the window. He just laughed.

“Sleep well, okay? I’ll see you at school tomorrow, text me if you want to talk.” Hansol nodded in an easy response as she walked up to the door, unlocking it with a happy smile as she walked inside.

“Mom? Are you home?” she asked, looking around a bit. She gave up when there was no response, instead simply walking into the kitchen to grab something to snack on while she waited for dinner.

When she got to the kitchen she immediately stopped, eyes wide as she caught sight of her mother, who was staring at the kitchen table. All of Hansol’s things that she’d been hiding were spread out on the wood, from the bra she’d bought to the wig and uniform that Byungjoo had stolen for her. She took in a quick breath as she looked it over, her mother turning to her with a scowl.

“Hansol, would you mind explaining all of this?” she asked, her calmness in her voice hiding what Hansol was fully expecting to happen. “Now. Right now.” Hansol took a deep breath but it caught in and she ended up swallowing, brows knit in concern. As she spoke she reached up, toying with the necklace that she still hadn’t taken off.

“Mom, I… Remember when I was little, and I asked for all of those things and you told me I couldn’t have them because they were for girls?” she asked, voice shaky as her mother stared at her with an eerily flat expression. Hansol waited for a response but when one wasn’t offered she continued. “I’ve been thinking for a really long time, and I don’t… feel comfortable as a man. So I want to be your daughter from now on.”

Her mother just stared, mouth drawn in a tight line before she shook her head.

“No.”

That was the only response she was given, and Hansol cocked her head.

“N… No?” she asked, voice coming out in a cracked whimper as she tried to say anything else. Her mother just continued to shake her head.

“No. I don’t have a daughter. You’re a boy. You were born a boy,” she replied, Hansol taking a step forward as her mother picked up one of the few pairs of underwear she’d bought. It was lacy, and Hansol had thought it was cute at the time. Before she could say anything her mother had grabbed a pair of scissors, slicing them in half as Hansol choked back a plea for her to stop.

“Mom, please. I bought those, don’t-”

“Don’t what?” she asked, eyes angry but expression still flat. “These things are in my house. I have every right to destroy them if I think it’s the right thing to do. You have no reason to have them, anyway. You’re not a girl.” Hansol watched as she picked up one of her necklaces, looking it over before very literally ripping it in half. Hansol bit her lip.

“Mom, that’s not… This isn’t fair, these are my clothes. I bought them; I feel comfortable in them.” Tears threatened the corners of her eyes as her mom set the scissors down on the table, instead advancing toward Hansol as she grabbed one of the shirts on the table.

“You don’t think before you act, do you?” she asked, voice quiet. “I already have so many things to deal with. Your father left me and he left you with me. His son. You are a son, not a daughter. I provide so much for you and this is what I get?” she continued, voice raising in volume with every passing moment as tears fell down her cheeks. Hansol swallowed deeply, her mother looking at the shirt before shaking her head and throwing it into the garbage. Hansol turned to look at it, closing her eyes and trying to ignore the tears that were now dripping down her own cheeks. “You’re a boy, Hansol. A boy.”

“No, I’m not!” she screamed in response, finally raising her voice as her mother glared at her.

“Yes, you are! You were born a boy and you are my son,” she exclaimed, hands gripping Hansol’s shoulders to emphasize her words. Hansol simply shook her head.

“I don’t care how I was born,” she replied, eyes red as the tears turned angry. “I don’t feel right like that and you aren’t going to be able to change that. Just let me be your daughter, just… Just say that’s okay.”

Her mother stared at her for what seemed like forever, very slowly starting to shake her head as Hansol blinked away tears.

“No.”

Hansol’s eyes went wide as she looked at her mother, jaw dropped and brows furrowed. Her vision was blurred as she looked through the tears, and she took in a shaky breath.

“W-what?” she asked, voice shaking as well as her mother took a step back. She glanced at the clothes on the table, head dropping forward before she responded.

“No. If you are not my son, then I am not your mother.”

Hansol stared at her, unable to speak.

“And, that being the case, you are trespassing in my house.”

“M-mom, no,” Hansol started, but her mother held up her hand to silence her and she stopped talking, covering as the tears got worse.

“You have one hour to pack anything you need and if you aren’t out by then I’ll call someone to remove you. I don’t want you in my home,” she finished, Hansol choking back a loud sob as she watched her mother start to walk from the room.

“Mom, please-”

“Don’t call me that,” she cut in, Hansol immediately quieting as her mother looked over her in disgust. “I don’t have a daughter. I had a son but he’s gone,” she said, and Hansol felt her stomach drop. “You have one hour.”

With that her mother left the room and Hansol stared at the spot where she’d stood before she leaned against the wall and slid down it, face in her hands to muffle the sobs that were echoing on the walls. She barely had the capacity to pull out her phone, but when she did she dialed Byungjoo’s number, phone held shakily up to her ear as the dial tone sounded.

“Hey missy, what’s… Oh my god, are you okay?” Byungjoo’s entire tone changed when he heard Hansol sobbing over the line, and she sniffed loudly before trying to talk again. It devolved into staggered breaths and bawling before a word got out, and she could hear Byungjoo doing something on the other end of the line. “Hansol, what’s wrong? Talk to me. Do you need me to come get you?” he asked, Hansol nodding.

“Y-yes,” she choked out, Byungjoo staying on the line even when she heard the door close and the car start in the background. The entire time he drove Byungjoo whispered soft words of encouragement in her ear, Hansol not having the strength to actually stand but staying on the line.

Before she knew it the front door burst open, Byungjoo having forced it open as he all but ran into the house.

“Hansol, where are you?” he asked loudly, Hansol barely squeaking out a little sound of recognition from the kitchen as Byungjoo walked in. When he saw her he paused, swallowing deeply and clenching one hand into a fist as he opened his mouth to speak. He saw the clothes on the table, saw the shirt in the trash, saw the scissors and saw how Hansol was reacting and he didn’t even need to ask what had happened. He simply crouched down, cupping both of Hansol’s cheeks as he rested his forehead against hers. “Go grab a bag, we’ll go to my place. Come on,” he said softly, Hansol nodding weakly as she stood on shaky legs and walked to her room to find a suitcase.

Byungjoo stayed in the kitchen for a moment, grabbing what was left on the table and looking down at the necklace that was lying on the ground. The chain was shattered but the pendant itself was safe and he slipped it into his pocket, everything else on the table being picked up in a messy armful as he took it into the bedroom.

Hansol had thrown her uniform and some of her clothes into her suitcase, a duffle bag also sitting empty on the bed. Byungjoo took what he’d grabbed and shoved it in that bag, fitting all he could as Hansol grabbed her makeup and put that in her suitcase. Halfway through packing she stopped, curling over the luggage in tears as Byungjoo turned to look at her.

“Hansol…” he said softly, kneeling down next to her and closing his eyes as he wrapped his arms around her. He didn’t say anything, and neither did she. For a moment they just stayed there, Hansol’s quiet sobs muffled by the clothing in the bag and Byungjoo himself trying not to tear up. When she sat up she wiped her eyes, tossing a few other things into the suitcase and zipping it up. She frowned, backpack tossed over her shoulder as Byungjoo grabbed both the duffle bag and suitcase to take out to his car.

On the way out Hansol looked to her mother, eyes red and swollen from tears, and her mother said nothing. She didn’t wave, she didn’t smile, and she didn’t look remorseful. Hansol closed her eyes, taking a deep breath before she stepped out of her house and closed the door behind her.

The second she sat down in Byungjoo’s car she broke down again, legs curled up to her chest and arms wrapped around them as Byungjoo started the car. Still he said nothing, one hand on the wheel as he drove and the other reaching over to hold one of Hansol’s hands. He didn’t let it go the entire drive to his house, never once loosening his grip.

Neither of them said anything until they pulled into the driveway, Hansol waiting for Byungjoo to stop the car before she sniffled softly.

“Thank you,” she said, voice barely a whisper as Byungjoo gave her hand a squeeze. Byungjoo smiled, sadness tinting the soft expression.

“Always,” he replied, Hansol wiping tears from her eyes before she got out of the car. Like before she grabbed her backpack and Byungjoo took the other two bags, barely able to open the door while carrying everything. They were greeted by his mother, who looked at their sad expressions with confusion. Hansol just bit her lip, almost near tears again. “M-mom? Hansol is gonna stay with us for a while. That’s okay, right?”

She shot him a confused expression, but when she saw the look of pure pleading in Byungjoo’s eyes she simply nodded, deciding not to ask any of the details with Hansol in front of her and threatening to cry. Almost immediately Hansol dropped her bag, arms wrapped tightly around Byungjoo’s mother as she hesitantly returned the hug.

“You’re welcome here for as long as you need, Hansol,” she said softly, Hansol nodding and choking out a ‘thank you’ before she stood and took in a shaky breath. Byungjoo just watched, hand resting on Hansol’s back.

“Let’s go to my room so you can lay down,” Byungjoo suggested quietly, Hansol nodding and picking up her bag once again as they two slipped quietly into Byungjoo’s room. Byungjoo set the two bags down, Hansol sitting on his bed as she looked down and rubbed her eyes. Sighing softly as he watched, Byungjoo crouched down in front of her, looking up at her. “I know my room isn’t as nice as yours, but you can stay in here and I’ll keep you safe.”

Hansol stared at him for a long while, eventually reaching down and pulling Byungjoo into a tight hug. She’d barely said anything and it seemed that that was continuing, because she just let out a little sigh and closed her eyes, nuzzling against Byungjoo’s cheek before pulling away and giving him a little smile.

“Thank you so much,” Hansol said, voice hoarse as she nibbled her lip. “I want to sleep,” she admitted quietly, Byungjoo nodding and standing as he pulled the sheets down and let Hansol crawl under them.

“… Do you want me to hold you?” he asked quietly, Hansol looking up at him before she nodded silently. Byungjoo offered her a tiny smile, sliding into bed behind her and wrapping his arms around her. She curled up in his arms, her hands gripping Byungjoo’s tightly as he let out a deep breath behind her.

There was a long silence, Hansol staring blankly into the dark of the room as she played idly with Byungjoo’s fingers. She sighed.

“Byungjoo?” she asked softly, feeling Byungjoo shift so his chin was on her shoulder. He hummed in response, giving Hansol a gentle squeeze as she continued. “Byungjoo, do you think I’m disgusting?” she asked, Byungjoo almost immediately opening his eyes as he flipped Hansol to face him.

“What? Why would you ask me that?” he asked, Hansol looking down as she shrugged.

“When my mom looked at me… She looked at me like I was something dirty and disgusting,” she whispered, Byungjoo’s brows knit together before he reached out and lifted Hansol’s chin. There was a pause, Byungjoo’s eyes tracing over Hansol’s features before he cupped her cheek.

“Hansol, you are the most beautiful person I have ever met. You are the most beautiful girl I know.” He leaned forward, nose rubbing against Hansol’s as Hansol smiled a bit. “You are the opposite of disgusting. You’re perfect,” he mumbled, the deep red on both of their cheeks being ignored as Hansol laughed awkwardly.

Another long pause took over the room as Byungjoo cupped her cheek, thumb rubbing against it in an effort to calm her a bit more. It seemed to work, and when Byungjoo leaned forward and kissed the tip of her nose she smiled and bit her lip, eyes closed as she rested her hand on Byungjoo’s bicep.

“Precious pretty miss,” he mumbled, Hansol opening her eyes to look up at Byungjoo. “I promise to keep you safe,” he added, catching Hansol’s gaze for a moment.

Then he leaned down, eyes closing as he pressed his lips to hers.

Hansol’s brows furrowed slightly but she closed her eyes as well, the kiss only being held for a moment before Byungjoo pulled away. Hansol let out a shaky breath that she wasn’t aware she’d been holding, their lips disconnecting with a sigh. For a moment they stayed quiet, Byungjoo still until he realized what he’d just done and his eyes went wide, cheeks red as he flipped Hansol over so that her back was facing him.

“Oh god, forget I did that,” he requested quietly, eyes focused on anything except Hansol as he tried to calm his racing heartbeat. Hansol nodded, looking down as she bit her lip and closed her eyes to relax herself.

Byungjoo had just kissed his best friend. After the night that Hansol had had, Byungjoo was certain that she didn’t even want to think about romance. Yet there he was, getting lost in a moment that he hadn’t even been expecting to have and making the night just that much more awkward.

Still, he let his arms wrap around Hansol as he held her close.

Still, he couldn’t deny the smile that had taken over his expression, and he couldn’t see it but Hansol was smiling as well.

Her fingers dragged over her lips for a moment, eyes closed before she took Byungjoo’s hand and held it tightly.

She might have been sleeping in a bed that wasn’t hers, and she might be in a house that wasn’t hers. She might have had one of the worst days that she had ever had, but she had someone that had been willing to drop everything he was doing to save her from that day, and Hansol would never know how to repay him.

There was a quiet stillness in the room, neither moving until Hansol slipped her fingers between Byungjoo’s and, a moment later, Byungjoo gave her hand a soft squeeze. He said nothing, only holding Hansol that much tighter as she slowly drifted to sleep.

Physically, she was exhausted.

In the last moments before she fell asleep, Byungjoo’s arms wrapped around her and their fingers locked, only one thought slipped through her mind.

This truly felt like home.