Chapter 1

Spring

As usual, I was strolling around at night, sharing my warmth with nature and nature sharing its cool temperature with me. It was almost the end of Fall and Winter was slowly nearing. The seasons were changing and so was the weather. It wasn't super cold, but still cold enough to be wearing a coat. I was still wearing my coat for Fall.

It was very quiet outside, which is not anything unusual. Everything was closed, except for a few shops (24-hour restaurants or supermarkets). I stopped by a supermarket to buy some snacks. I was craving something sweet, so I bought a little bag with sour candies and a bottle of water. I paid for it and exited the store, making my way to my favorite park. I was listening to Epik High's Born Hater and was softly rapping along the parts I knew. I soon reached my destination and sat down on a bench. I opened the  bag of candy and slowly started eating the candy. At the beginning, I made a face at the sourness, but I got used to it after like 2 candies. I continued singing along with the songs I was listening to and looked ahead of me, looking at how the wind carried some branches with it. 

Suddenly, I heard something a few trees away from me, but because it was so dark, I couldn't really see anything. The only thing I saw was a figure sitting down and leaning against a tree. I took one earbud out of my ear and tilted my head to see what the person was doing. Even with one earbud in, I could hear heavily breathing, and maybe even sobbing noises.. The figure, which was clearly a guy, just sat there, not moving a single inch. He was just sitting there, staring at nothing and breathing heavily. I don't know why I was so curious about him.. something was just.. so mesmerizing, I guess.. After sitting there for a while, I stood up. That's it, though, I only stood up. I was hesitating if I should approach him or not. I didn't want to come over as a creep, so I sat back down. Now he was the one standing up and approaching me, or so I thought. I continued eating my candies and staring ahead of me. The guy then sat down on the other side of the bench and sighed. I turned my head and looked at him, but quickly looked away. From the 0.01 seconds I saw his face, I could make out that he had very strong features. His nose was sharp and he was quite good-looking. 

"What brings you here this late?" He suddenly said, after the silence. His voice was soft, but also a bit hoarse, as if he hadn't drank anything for the past two days.

"Just strolling around," I answered. My answer made him turn his head and stare at me. 

"A stroll? At this hour?" He furrowed his brows. 

"Well, yeah. It's quiet and peaceful," I said and turned my gaze to him. It would be quite rude if I was looking straight ahead while he was trying to talk to me.

"I agree on you with that. What are you eating?" 

"Candy, want some?" I offered him the bag and he gladly took it, "And water?" I asked. He nodded and thanked me for the water and the candy. He first took a sip of the water and started the candy afterwards. He pulled a weird face, which slightly made me giggle.

"It's alright, I've had enough, so you can keep them," I said and flashed him a smile. He didn't respond and stared at me for a few seconds, but quickly looked away, probably because he realized he was staring. Only then, I realized he was wearing shorts and a grey sweater. Even with a coat on and thick leggings, it was still cold for me so I can't imagine how cold it must've been for him. 

"Aren't you cold?" I asked, pointing at his shorts.

"Yeah.. but it's okay." he shrugged. I took two hot packs out of the pockets of my coat and handed it to him.

"Those will keep you warm, I hope." He hesitated to take them at first, "Take it, I'm not that cold," I said, obviously lying, but he needed it more than I did.

"Are you sure? Aren't you cold?" I shook my head and opened his hands myself and put the hot packs in his hand. He stared at me again. I stared back, and that's how our 'staring contest' thing began. We were definitely staring at each other for over 2 minutes until I broke it, because I was feeling uncomfortable. I don't even look my friends in the eye like that.. I wasn't necessarily 'uncomfortable', but it felt weird, so I broke our gaze and looked away. It was silent for a while.

"What are you listening to?" He suddenly asked. I didn't realize I was still listening to music through one earbud, until he mentioned it. I took the earbud out and gave it to him and showed him my phone. He took a quick glance at my phone and listened to the song. His eyes went wide when he realized which song it was. I gave him a confused look, because I didn't really understand why his eyes went that wide. Maybe because he likes the same music as I do? My question was answered shortly after my trail of thoughts. 

"Do you like Epik High?" 

"Yeah, well, I like their music. I'm not sure personality-wise, because I've never seen them on any programs," I said, "I do know there's three members; Tablo, Mithra and DJ Tukutz."

"You do know that this song is not sang by just the two of them, right?"

"Yeah, I know. The others, who are featured on this track, are Beenzino, B.I, Bobby, Verbal Jint and Mino. Don't know them, though." He handed me my earphones back and smiled. 

"Nice to meet you, I'm Hanbin aka B.I," he said with a proud smile on his face. 

"Really? How do I know that you're not lying?" 

"Just look at the music video and you'll know," he said. I nodded and looked the music video up. To be very honest with you, I didn't watch the music video. I found out about this song through Epik High's album. I always check up on their album releases, because their songs are really good, but I've never seen a single music video. 

"This one?" I asked, pointing at the first video that came up when I typed in "Epik High Born Hater" on Youtube. He nodded and clicked on it. I took my earphones out of my phone, so we could both watch it and listen to it. 

"That's me," he said and paused the video when he appeared. I looked at the screen on my phone and back at him. I put the phone next to his head. I unkowingly tilted my head and finally saw the resemblance.

"Wow, you do look like him," I said.

"Yah, that's because I AM him." I giggled and clicked on play, continuing to watch the video until the end. I really really liked it. I also read somewhere online that all the rappers represented a sin, except for one, and I think the video represented that very well. It was random at times, but still very entertaining.

"Woah, I like it," I said and smiled. I put my phone away and turned my head towards him, "You looked cool."

"Thanks." He chuckled, but sighed shortly afterwards. 

"Something wrong?" I asked. 

"Actually, yeah.. I.." He suddenly stopped and looked at me, "Do you really want to hear me nagging?" He asked. 

"Nagging? If it's you talking about your problems, then it's not nagging. You can tell me when you feel like it," I said and gave him an assuring smile.

"Okay.. here I go, I guess.." He sighed, "I'm a trainee at YG entertainment and I kinda ditched filming for a survival program called 'Mix&Match'," he said. He looked at me, but I was really clueless and hoped for him to explain what it was, "Before this survival program, other trainees and I were in another survival program. We had practiced together for years and we suddenly got split up in Team A and Team B, and I was in Team B. The team I was in lost, so we didn't get to debut, while the other team just had their debut a while ago under the name 'Winner'. Now our CEO put Team B in another survival program, which is like hell. The CEO added three new trainees to our team, and I'm the one that has to take responsibility for them because I'm the leader. They haven't been training that long, so they're still lacking a lot, especially dance-wise. And I'm the one that has to teach them so they do well in front of our CEO. I've pulled so many all-nighters to come up with dances and lyrics and it's really tiring. I'm always very thankful that I got the chance to even be in the public eye and show my talent, but it's really cruel and I'm only 17, so I can only handle a certain amount of stress.." While he was saying all this, he looked straight ahead, not meeting my eyes. After he finished saying everything, he took a big sigh.

"So that's why you ditched filming for your show?" I asked. He nodded and looked down, as if he felt embarrassed.

"I'm sorry.." He said and put his face in his hands. I softly patted his back. 

"Nothing to be sorry about. It's true that you can only handle a certain amount of stress. Pretty cruel of your CEO to put you all in another survival program," I sighed, "But it's okay that you needed some time for yourself, everyone does. Just remember that you can always talk to your members. I'm sure they'll understand what you're going through and try to adjust themselves to the situation. Did you tell your other members that you're okay?"

"No.. I turned my phone off the moment I left the building.." He said.

"Then text one of them and tell them you're okay and just need some time to collect your thoughts, in case they're worried," I said and took my hand off his back. I didn't want to push into doing anything, but it's the right thing to do. What if they thought he was in the hospital or something bad happened? I don't think they need any more stress above the stress they already have from the program...

"Thanks," he said, after he texted one of s. "Wanna take a walk?" I nodded and stood up with him. We started walking and talking again, this time with a better atmosphere, because we knew each other slightly better. Well, I knew him better, but he didn't know anything about me.

"Do you wanna hear me rap?" He suddenly asked. The question somehow took me off guard, but I nodded. I heard him in Born Hater, but that's it. I've never seen his name anywhere else.. 

"This song is called Be I and I performed it during a hip hop survival program for rappers. Enjoy," he said and flashed me a beautiful smile. We stopped for a moment and he told me to sit down, so I sat down on the grass. He handed me his phone, on which he had put on an instrumental version of the song. He took a few steps back and put the hood of his hoodie over his cap. After doing all that, he told me to click the play-button and he finally started rapping. The whole time, during his 'performance', I just sat there, staring at him. I was so mesmerized at his skills and how he presented himself. At the end of his 'performance', I clapped loudly and gave him a thumbs up.

"Woah, no wonder you're under YG. I'm sure you'll come far, at least that's what I think from what you've just shown me. Don't pay attention to anyone that's trying to bash you through the internet. They're the ones sitting at home not doing anything with their lives, while you're out there accomplishing and doing so much even before your debut," I said. I stood up and dusted my pants off. I looked back up and was suddenly pulled in a hug by him. It took me a while to also put my arms around him, but I eventually did.

"Thanks for your encouraging words and... just thanks for spending tonight with me.." He said. I could hear faint sobbing noises, so I pulled away to check if he really was crying.

"Oh my god, why are you crying. D-don't cry," I said and wiped his tears away. I usually don't know what to do when someone cries, but everything felt very natural when I was with him. I didn't feel any awkwardness, which is weird, because I'm usually very awkward with strangers.. 

I searched my pockets for a tissue and fortunately found one. I wiped some of his tears away and handed it to him. He took it and also wiped some tears away, "I'm really thankful for everything you've done for me in the past hour or so," he said. He took a step back and suddenly did a 90 degrees bow. 

"Oh my god, no no, don't be so polite," I said and waved my hand in front of my face. He flashed me a smile, again, and patted my head. 

"Let's take you home," he said and put his hands in his pockets, where the hot packs were. He waited for me to lead the way, but I just stood there, not moving. 

"You don't have to. My house isn't that far, and I think the other trainees would feel at ease if you got home before 5am," I said, "Thanks for letting me stay with you tonight, I had a great time." I bowed and turned around, planning on walking away, but he was holding my wrist, not letting me go. 

"Can I please walk you home?" He asked, "And you also haven't told me your name yet.." 

"My name is Spring," I said and put my hand out. He shook it and smiled. 

"That's a beautiful name," He said, smiling, "Can I walk you home?" 

"Thanks," I smiled back, "But it's really late and it's better not to let your members worry any more, right? Just go back, I'm sure I'll see you another time."

"Hmm.. too bad then," he unknowingly pouted, "Are you coming here again tomorrow?" 

"Yeah, probably. Unless something comes up, but there's a 99% chance I'll be here around the same time," I said.

"Then I'll see you tomorrow around 1," he said with a smile on his face. He patted me on my head and turned around, walking the opposite direction of me. I stood there and smiled. Weird, how the best things happen when you least expect them. I was thankful that I got the chance to meet Hanbin. I didn't even know him 2 hours ago, but now I kinda do. I hope this is the start of a beautiful friendship. How comfortable I was with him, even though we've just met, must mean something, right? I only had this with one girl, but we lost contact after she got a boyfriend. I do have some friends at school, but not really outside of it. And I'm not super close with my school friends, which isn't that bad. Only thing that is that I can't really bring myself to tell them anything that's been going on in my life, because I haven't fully opened up to them yet. I feel like I'm closer to Hanbin than I am to my school friends, which is weird, because I've known my school friends for 2 years, while I've known Hanbin for 2 hours. 

I soon got home and opened the doors with my keys. My uncle and aunt went to my grandparents' house 2 days ago, and they wouldn't return until two weeks later. They trusted me at home, because they know I never do anything, except for hanging out with friends and singing around the house when I'm alone. They also know that I always take walks at midnight, and they always say they trust me and that they're not worried, but I know they actually do worry. I mean, a girl taking walks at midnight.. anything could happen during that time. I just hope they've gotten used to this and that they're not as worried as they used to be. 

Wondering how I take walks at midnight when I have school the next day? I just sleep early and wake up in the middle of the night and decide to take a walk. It's simple as that. Luckily, I was on my break now, so I didn't have to sleep early. Usually, during holidays like these, I sleep around 4 or 5am, even when I don't take a walk. Let's say, I'm a night owl? 

I turned all the lights on in my house and went to the kitchen. I grabbed an apple and cut it into pieces. After that, I took the plate and a bottle of water upstairs. I'm lucky my uncle installed something in the house, which turns the lights off after it's been on for 20 minutes. Of course, you can change the time in which it switches off and you could also turn it off completely, but being the scaredycat I am, I didn't want to turn it off myself. I'm scared to be at home on my own, but I don't mind walking on the streets after 1, which is weird, I know I acknowledge that, but nothing I can do about it. 

I sat down on my bed and turned the tv on. I caught up on a few shows I missed. After finishing my apple, I went to the bathroom and washed up, including brushing my teeth of course. I decided it was time to sleep, since it was almost 7am. Before getting into bed, I charged my phone, so it wouldn't die on me tomorrow. Apparently, I was pretty tired, because I fell asleep very quickly.