Broken Dandelions

The Series Of Silent Inflection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Because I am losing the only thing that means a lot to me: my ability to hear.”

Those words imprinted in Taehyung’s head, the pain and longing from the person makes him sick to his stomach. Because, this is not Jeon Jungkook that he sees almost every day at the hospital, a boy whose attitude is beyond tolerable yet polite enough to deal with Taehyung’s random personalities.

Kim Taehyung is the type of person where people can hardly understand. It wasn’t the fact that he’s rude and difficult to deal with, but it was merely because he has his own ways to express different things. Where people see sunflowers as its remarkable yellow petals, Taehyung perceive the flower as something that falls from the sun. The others would call him a freak, and while kids at a sensitive age would naturally retort to this verbal bully, Taehyung meekly shrugged and proceed with his life normally.

But even then, he wasn’t heartless. He knew. He felt it somewhere in his lowest peak of life and he was more than sure that Jungkook is telling him the truth. Because, a person known for his gifted abilities in music is telling him that he was suffering from losing the only thing that means a lot him: his ears.

Jungkook, without his talented ears perceive music differently as those of normal people, will be only Jungkook: a boy who loves music but no talent whatsoever to make his dreams a reality.

Hence, they didn’t move as Taehyung lands a hand on Jungkook’s own. It was a subtle move, a comforting warmth for someone that comes off as a stranger for Jungkook’s part. The way Taehyung’s palm pressing against the back of Jungkook’s frail hand, ones that shook terribly from admitting his sickness, was surprisingly calm like the winds blowing around them.

Jungkook's eyes lands on the grassy grounds, only to realize that they were seated in the middle of a field of dandelions. He took in the beauty of the paper gray flower dancing around the invisible breeze, its feathered petals swirling and resting shyly at their now tangled hands. The boy jolted and released the hold, tucking his hands over his pocket and looking away to hide his blush.

“You don’t like skinship, aren’t you?” Taehyung chuckles, nonchalant over Jungkook’s growing red face. “I mean, I am trying to comfort you. Take it as a gift from a friend.”

“We-We’re not… friends.” Jungkooks hates it when he stutters, so it took a great deal of his dazed mind to swallow a lump through his dry throat and said, “So, what do I have to do next?”

The lack of response from the other makes Jungkook nervous, turning his head to be greeted with Taehyung’s peaceful face looking at the still dancing dandelions. His hands reach out to touch the flower, letting it graze the end of his fingertips. “Make a wish, Kookie.”

There were hints of smiles every time Taehyung called him that dreadful nickname. Jungkook frowned and slapped Taehyung’s hand, letting the dandelion fall and drifted away with its species. “I don’t have the time to play. Now, tell me what I can do to cross this tedious task out of the list.”

A snort was heard from Taehyung. “Impatient prude,” he grumbled before taking his camera and aimed it at Jungkook. Taken aback, Jungkook gave him a look as he was caught in the image. Peering at the camera’s monitor, Taehyung sneered, “Stop blaming the world for the things you can’t control.”

Hearing those words, mocking him to infinity and depths of places that no one else dares to step, Jungkook reaches out and clenched tight around the front of Taehyung’s shirt. The look of the honey haired man remains calm, which fueled more to Jungkook’s anger.

“I could really make your life similar to hell, Taehyung. If only you stop your mind games and proceed with what I agree to do.”

“Then will you obliged if I ask you to smile?”

“Why shouldn’t I?” Jungkook released his hold and lean back, straightening his back and posed. An awkward curve of his lips was plastered, earning another of Taehyung’s chuckles. “What?” he demanded, irritated.

Taehyung shakes his head, holding the irritated boy by his shoulders and turn him to face the flying dandelions. “Look,” Jungkook raised an eyebrow, confused towards the order, but Taehyung shakes his head again, asking him to “Look closely.”

Hesitantly, the pianist turns his gaze at the flower. Following the slow motion of it, swaying obediently alongside the direction of the wind, his eyes cast to one that were tangled. It struggles to move like the others, the gesture bending and cracking very unnaturally, tiny stem is on the verge of snapping. Jungkook was staring far too long at the sight, too immerse to notice that a faint smile was forming to replace his frown.

“That’s better.” Taehyung breaks his reverie, and J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter