Stagnant Human

The Series Of Silent Inflection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Somehow, the disappearance of Taehyung made the boy realize his current state. He quickly set the tray and head to a patient. He couldn’t see the whereabouts of the man, taking it as a sign that he might be running to the toilet or called by the doctor. Whatever it is, Jungkook proceed his work and walk into room 22.

The door was open wide, probably always kept in that way. He noted the description of the child –a stage 3 brain tumor girl. She was only ten when the tumor took her. Even then, she looks lovely with bright face as if her shaved head never bothers her.

“Oh, I though it’s V hyung.” She smiled. She was leaning on her bed, a magazine on her lap and before her, laid photos in a scattering manner. She sensed Jungkook eyes land on the pictures and added, “V hyung took it. Aren’t they pretty?”

“Who’s V?” Jungkook place the tray on a side table and sat on the edge of the bed. His fingers trace the edges of the plastic paper, mesmerized by the crisp scene that was caught in the frame.

“I call him TaeTae but he wanted me to call him V.” She answered.

“Tae… as in Taehyung?”

The girl nods her head. Jungkook turn his gaze back on the photos. It's composed of various landscapes, most probably around the town. It was a commonplace, what differ is the angle of the shot makes it a lot special and unique. Taehyung is able to catch life into the lens. A distinctive ‘V’ are watermarked on the photo, claiming the rights.

“Is that rice porridge?” She asked, sniffing the aroma that occupied room 22. She reached for the tray, struggling with her hose connected limbs.

“Let me help you.” Jungkook offered immediately. He took the bowl out of the tray and place it between her fingers. Jungkook proceed to sit on the bed and study the photos again.

The girl eats in silence, indulging the delicacy and said, “I request for these, actually.”

“You wanted photos?”

She shakes her head. “I want to live to see the world.”

“So Taehyung took a couple of shots and gave it to you?”

The girl giggled. “No. It’s pretty embarrassing. I don’t know where to start. I was having a breakdown, one of my casual moments in the hospital. I told the doctors and nurses that I refuse to take medicine unless they granted me permission to leave.”

“How long have you been here?”

“I don’t count the days. I’ve heard it’s a taboo for sick people to count the days. It’s like counting for death.”

Jungkook sighed. That must be a long time, given her state right now.

She paused and her eyes gaze down, somewhere between pictures of sunsets and beaches. “V hyung came into the room right at the moment.”

“What did he say?”

The girl let out a beautiful smile, it was nothing compared to the nature that lies in the photos. It was as if she was part of it —she was alive alongside the photos. “He told me that he could take me to any place I want. We made a pinky promise.”

Jungkook lean closer and asked, “So he brought you these? And you can choose any place now?”

She giggled again, revealing her pearly teeth. “If only I could do that. V hyung already takes me to those places. He said, I am emotionally there. Though I don’t quite understand, I was happy. I think I could live with that.”

Jungkook fell silent, realizing the message behind it. It was quite surprising for someone like Taehyung, who appear carefree and cheerful. It was then the young man remember, Taehyung always brought his camera.

“You have to be happy. Always be happy.” Jungkook told her. He earns a soft smile between her chews.

“That’s what V hyung told me too.”

Jungkook smiled back. He gathers the photos in his hands and place it on the table. He reminded her to take her medicine regularly and exit the room. As a reward, he gets to keep one photo.

 

 

Taehyung was fresh out of the toilet when Jungkook shot him a look. His honey fringe stick to his forehead, similar to his drenched shirt.

“Rough day?” Jungkook asked.

“Just the usual.”

“And it involves showering?” the pianist scanned his shirt.

“Maybe a little rough.” Taehyung laughed nervously.

Jungkook rolled his eyes and went to pass him. The door shut behind him and Taehyung proceed to walk towards the hall. He was sweating profusely, eyes dazed with fear and he immediately reach for his bag. His hand caught his camera, realizing that his favorite gadget is safe and sound.

Kim Taehyung is passionate about photography. He used to draw things, matching it to sceneries. But he was no painter, or talented in that way. When he was sixteen, his parents bought him the best camera they could afford.

Taehyung fell in love from the first click. He started to take pictures, random and free. There is no subject as a focus. He simply took it in his own perspective. Some of his friends suggest a photographer service, telling him that he could

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter