Beauty and the Geek - Part 1

Love Collection

The biggest geek in our school Amber Liu has now become my roommate! What worse can happen in my life other than that?

I don’t really know Amber in person but what I’ve heard from other friends she’s really is a geek. Supposedly geeks are smart but she’s not, she always manages to be on the top 5 but it’s from the bottom up top 5. Also the way she dresses, messed up boy cut hairstyle, thick frames and the usual boyish clothing. Ugh! Degusting and no fashion sense at all. I seriously do not understand how she lives her life looking like that. As the princess of the Jung’s family, whom is raised well, I’ve learned not to judge a book by its cover. But sometimes the book cover does tell whether if the book is interesting or not.

I was sitting on my bed unpacking my clothing while disgustingly staring at the tomboy who is sitting 5 metres away. Sitting on her chair she cautiously placed her action figurines on her little study desk. There were figurines that were 10cm tall and some were like 6cm tall but most of them are female figurines with large . I shivered at the thought of living with this geek for a year.

This gonna be my worse year of school.

I’ve been living with this geek for a week now and the words we exchange were only a simple “Hi” or a nod. Practically most of the time I’m not in my room, I’m only there to sleep while the geek spend most of her time in that room.

I wonder if she has any friends at all.

We never had a conversation which exceeded more than 5 words simply because we have nothing in common and talking to her just makes me feels like a geek too. But things have changed from the time I’ve discover her crush for a senior in our school, Victoria Song. By accident I saw her photo album filled with paparazzi photos of Victoria unnie and immediately I know what’s this geek is feeling.

I’m not really good friends with Victoria unnie but my best friend Sulli is and that’s how I get to know Victoria unnie. Even though we only meet a few times for lunch but she gives me a feeling of someone who is kind, friendly and cute. Any girls would want to be friends with her and any guys would love to have her as a girlfriend. I hate to admit but she’s perfect! Have a pretty face, great body and great personality. Such a pretty girl will never end up with this geek here and most of all they are both girls.

“Hey geek just give up, Victoria unnie will never like a geek like you.” I gave Amber a friendly advice while I flip through her Victoria photo album that I snatched off her. This was my first time speaking more than 5 words to her.

After hearing that she gave up fighting back the photo album. She silently slammed herself on her bed and burying her face in the pillow.

“I know! I know what everyone thinks of me. A disgusting geek, but I can’t help what I’m feeling towards this girl.” Amber mumbled through her pillow which I barely could hear.

At this very moment I felt sorry for this geek, it’s not like geek aren’t human but why we all look at them differently? I do get angry too when people say I’m cold and arrogant behind my back. Somehow I regretted saying stuffs that has hurt the geeks in this universe.

Sorry but I was immature back then.

As an apology to the geeks I decided to be nice and treat this geek to dinner. A smile formed on her face, she stared at me with her watery eyes which hid behind her thick glasses in disbelieve. After confirming that I’m not fooling her she immediately got up and we went to the nearest restaurant near our dorm. There wasn’t much of a choice so we just went to Mc Donald’s and I brought the two of us a meal each. We sat there face-to-face silently eating our burgers and listening to the broadcast radio. It was extremely awkward as the two of us have nothing to talk about.

“So... What do you usually do?” I asked just so we can break this awkwardness.

“Umm... Surf the net, check out new gadgets, animes and manga.” She answered back while mouth was still filled with a bite of her burger.

It was disgusting, I swear I saw a bit of her chewed up bread came flying out from and landed in front of my drink. I shifted my drink away from the chewed up bread so that it won’t contaminate my drink.

“Oh... How interesting...” I forced a smile as I replied to her answer.

“What about you?” She asked back after swallowing her food down.

“Exercising, hang out with friends and shopping, the usual girl stuff.”

Afterward we didn’t talk anymore, we just finish our meal and head back to our dorm together.


It’s been a month since I’m rooming with Amber and after that dinner we had surprisingly I don’t feel she’s such a bad person to room with. At least she does what I tell her to do like cleaning up the room, fix my laptop whenever it died down on me and best of all leaves me alone.

After an intense jogging around the block I came back all sweaty, I see Amber sitting on her usual spot in front of her laptop browsing some new taken photos of Victoria unnie. Feeling the stickiness and sweatiness I immediately went to the bathroom to take a warm shower. Once I’m out of the shower feeling nice and clean I wrapped a towel around my body. I stood in front of the sink facing the mirror, preparing to put some night lotion on my face. Once I was done I turn the tap to wash my hands, the tap broke and the next thing I felt was water hitting my face. I screamed and out of reflex I reached my hands out to cover the water hole. I heard Amber calling my name outside of the door but she couldn’t enter because it was lock. Slowly releasing one hand I unlock the bathroom door, water was bursting out and has hit my face again. Amber came running in and out of reflex as well she reached her hands on top of mine to cover the whole as well. Obviously she was soaking wet as well just like me.

Damn! We can’t stand like this forever we need to stop the water.

I release my hands from the water hole and a flood of water hit Amber’s face which crooked her glasses. I immediately squad down to find the water pipe tap which was just under the sink and turn it off. The water finally stop and both of us restlessly fell on the floor in relief. We sat there soaking wet looking at each other laughing stupidly since we could have done that 10 minutes ago instead of standing there and getting hit by the water. Amber took off her glasses and began wiping the water off from her lens with her wet t-shirt and brushed her hair upward from getting it stick onto her face. It was the first time I saw her without her glasses and hair away from her face. My laughing face stop and I found myself staring at her.

She doesn’t look that bad. Actually she’s quite cute.

I quickly shook off that thought and stood up to distance away from her. Amber also stood up as well.

“What a mess. Why don’t you dry yourself up first then I’ll clean up this mess up.” Amber said and she started squeezing the water out from her shirt.

This is what I mean when I said it’s not bad rooming with Amber at least she’s willing to clean up this mess that I made. I nodded and then she left me alone in the bathroom to dry myself up.

The days afterward I look at Amber differently although she was still with the geeky look like usual but something has changed between us. It’s no longer silent between the two of us we actually made some conversations. She would sometimes talk about her crush, Victoria unnie and sometimes she would recommend me some funny animes to watch. On the other hand I would occasionally share weird and funny stories to her which Sulli told me.

It was the time again that I see her staring at the new set of photos of Victoria unnie.

“Do you want me to introduce you to Victoria unnie?” I got sick of seeing Amber staring at photos of Victoria unnie so I offered her a hand to meet the real person.

“Wh... What!? Are you serious??” Amber was startled but you can tell she really wants to meet Victoria unnie.

I nodded without responding.

“But you gotta fix your look first. You need to look cool so you’ll give Victoria unnie a good first impression.”

Amber touches her face nodding as in agreeing what I’ve just said.

I got up from sitting on my bed and motion in front of Amber. I pull her to stand up and she did. Looking from head to toe I gave her a mixed expression.

“Well there’s no time and money for plastic surgery. But I, the little ice princess here will give you an extreme make over.”

I saw Amber giving me a perplex look.

How cute. I chuckled.

So the project of “Transforming Amber Liu” begins. The very first thing I did was gone through her wardrobe and pull out anything that needs to go in the bin.

“Black baggy jeans?” I pulled out a pair of black baggy jeans.

“Who still wear these in these days? In the bin!” Without a second thought I threw them over my shoulder to Amber who stood silently behind.

“But... These are my favourites.....” Amber’s voice slow faded as I gave out my icy stares.

I continued to rampage her wardrobe and with no surprise most of the clothing ends up in the bin. Only 2 shirts were acceptable to keep. After cleaning out her wardrobe and dumping bags full of clothes the next step was to get rid of her geeky thick black glasses. We went to an optometry and got her pair of contacts. It was uncomfortable for her at first since she kept tearing but she manages it through. Next thing was a haircut, her bangs were long almost covering her eyes but since she wore glasses before it wasn’t that much of a bothersome. When she was all ready and set sitting in front of the big mirror I pointed to a simple hairstyle from a magazine and the hair stylist began his work. Her hair is short now with eyes and ears revealing. It wasn’t surprising to see how good Amber look but it was shocking to see how handsome she appeared to be with just a little touch up.

“Woah! I never expect you have piercing?” Her pair of ears has exactly 9 whole and the earrings were just little studs which I barely can see from a distance.

Who would have thought a geek has ear piercing.

“Well... I didn’t want them but when I was young my mother pierced it without my permission.” Amber shyly said while rubbing the back of her neck.

Now that she looks half as handsome as Donghae from Super Junior all there is left was the clothing. I lead her to a boutique that I always go to; browsing in the female sections for half an hour there wasn’t one piece of garment that fitted Amber.

Argh! They’re too girly for Amber.

I shifted my body and head to the menswear section. I slowly went through the clothing with care and imagining which style fitted best for Amber. I wondered, thinking this is what it feels like picking clothing for my boyfriend. Without noticing a smile formed on my face. I placed a pile of clothing that I pick on Amber’s hands and push her to the fitting room. After 10 minutes of waiting I hear nothing from Amber.

“Amber, you done yet?”

No respond from the tomboy. I got impatient of waiting so I just push the door open and barged in. I knew there’s no lock on these doors since I came here to shop all the time. I saw Amber squealed like a girl as she tries to cover her chest with the half ed shirt.

“Yah you !” Her face flashed red and it was really cute. Instantly I felt like teasing her more.

“You’re taking too long.” I saw her continuing buttoning her shirt which she found a button was left without any holes to button onto.

I sighed as she couldn’t even button her shirt properly. I grabbed her hand out of the way and start ing her shirt. The distance between us was probably less than 10 inches; it was the closest we ever got to be. While ing her shirt I can’t help but to stare at her taut stomach, my eyes slowly travelled up from her stomach to her chest. Although her chest was flat like a board but she still has an amazing body for an androgynous girl. I guess my staring was really weird as the sound of her clearing snapped me out of my stares. I quickly buttoned her shirt properly in the quickest speed I have. Once it was buttoned perfectly we left the fitting room to the opening where she can see herself properly in the mirror. She was wearing black skinny jeans with a green checked long sleeve shirt. She stood in front of the mirror checking her out with shocking expression as if the one in the mirror is not herself. I stood beside her and helped her to fold her sleeves to the elbow. She tried a few more clothes without my help and we ended up buying 3 shirts and 2 pair of pants. It was shocking that Amber wore everything so handsomely; we had a hard choice in deciding and even asked the sales for some help. Amber exits the boutique looking like a star and I was impressed with the outcome of this “Transforming Amber Liu” project.

“Thanks Krystal. Never in my life had I thought I can look like this.”

Why are you looking at me like this? Do you know how charming you look now?

I just let out a smile and lead her to a restaurant nearby.

“Hi how are you, how many seats you need?” The waitress asked.

“4 please.” The moment I said Amber pulled a blank expression.

“Who else is coming?”

“Who else could it be? Of course it’s Victoria unnie.” I seated myself calmly whereas Amber began panicking.

“What? Oh my god what should I do???” Amber became unsettled.

“Calm down. Sulli will be here as well, just think of meeting a new friend and not meeting your crush.”

Amber was really nervous while waiting for her crush to come and I just sat there amused by her reactions. It didn’t take long before Victoria unnie and Sulli came, at that moment when they appeared Amber was about to escape but she wasn’t quick enough because I pulled her back.

“Krystal, you got a boyfriend? He’s cute!” Sulli blurted out once they sat down.

I chuckled when I saw a tint shade of redness on Amber’s cheeks. I ignored Sulli’s question and went ahead to introduce Amber to her crush.

“Let me introduce you to my roommate Amber Liu, this is Victoria unnie and my best buddy Sulli.”

“Amber Liu? The Amber Liu, the biggest geek in our school?” Sulli’s eyes widen with shock.

Amber just smiled embarrassingly while Victoria chuckled at Sulli’s remark. We then began ordering our food and chit-chat but most of the chatting was done by Sulli as she kept asking questions about Amber. Amber was nervous most of the time but slowly she starts to relax and laughs at Sulli’s silly jokes. This was the first time they get to meet face-to-face; I really wondered whether they’ll get together.