Four

Still

[CONTENTID2]empty smiles, hollow laughter[/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID1]"He was free, free in every way, free to behave like a fool or a machine, free to accept, free to refuse, free to equivocate; to marry, to give up the game, to drag this death weight about with him for years to come. He could do what he liked, no one had the right to advise him, there would be for him no Good or Evil unless he thought them into being." —Jean-Paul Sartre

• • • • • • 

We warned you, didn't we? But of course, you would never take our advice. You take no one's advice. Still... you should've never left us. As much as you try, Jaejoong, you can't continue to exist... pretending you're human when you don't wish to be. Your humanity's long dead. When will you understand? Good and Evil. Right and Wrong. We are outside the influence. Those thoughts. Those ideas. They no longer apply to us... but to them... your wife, those kids... it did... before you went off and killed them.

So... you tell us it's an accident. But you should know... better than anyone.

Despite it all, she remains as an object of interest. We know this to be the truth. Kou has taken pity on you and given her a new life, a new beginning. Immortality. In time, perhaps she will come to understand why you act the way you do. Dysfunctional and selfish... to the very core of your being.

• • • • • • •

Time after time, you've forgiven him. Never failing him. Do you tell me now you can forgive him still... after what he's done? I know...you've thought to quit him. How many times has it crossed your mind? How many times, Xinling? But then, you think... all the things you've been through with him. You think it... like humans tend to do... because you're human. You decide that no matter what, you'll be right there by his side... to the very end. Is it weakness or strength? I want to know... I want to know, Xinling. How long... how long can you last? An eternity?

• • • • • • 

She has become like a child, and they treat her as such, indulging her childish demands. Has she forgotten him so soon? Perhaps it is better this way, not remembering a child lost. Yet, she still feels it, the heavy weight upon her heart. It is a burden she cannot discard. She is immortal now, yet she finds no freedom. Empty smiles. Hollow laughter. Fake. Her body is a void. She cannot be made happy. No amount of love, care, appeasement will change it. Happiness is beyond her reach. It seems... forever. To an immortal, the romantic notion of forever faces extinction. Truly, it does.

Because now... when he no longer turns his back on her,

She cannot be made to give a damn.[/CONTENTID1]