chapter 5

Hidden Secrets

The weather outside the window, is like your ever-changing expressions.
it starts to rain. And the rain cries with me.
it is blurry, but I don't want to see clearly.

Leaving you, I silently retreat.
I can't bare to tell our story.
My tears flow into my heart and I'm learning to give up.

Listening to the rain, the rhythm is distinct. Your breathing soaks my love like the falling rain. I hope that rain will continue to pour.
Let me continue to miss you
Let my love become transparent
I fell in love with the courage that gave me 'Rainie love'.
 


​Minji's sniffling started to disperse in to the thin air. The song with a hint of sadness softened the soul of the nearby people. Aesook stopped singing and noticed Kris was asorbed into his own thoughts. Her voice. N​ot minding Kris at all, Aesook gently patted Minji's head. "Can you tell me what happened here?" Minji's eyes glanced to the sight of the laying bodies everywhere. "Disease." With one word, Kris pulled Aesook aside. "Arent you contagious then?" Glancing towards the small child, she shook her head. "No. My mom and dad. Family. Died infront of me." Her bottom lip jutted outwards and Aesook was stunned. She didnt know what to do. "Kris. Everyone died except her, think about it. If she had it she wouldve died along with them." But why is she special? Why isnt she dead? Many things ran in Kris' mind. "My blood." Minji spoke up. "Blood?" Aesook wondered what blood had to do with everything. "Regardless we need to leave. The soldiers are probably still tailing us." Kris dusted off himself and picked up Minji. "Minji was it? We'll take you with us to the next village. There we will find a family for you." Without any hesitation Minji clinged onto Kris and hugged his neck. A feeling of safety rushed through Minji's body and a satisfied sigh left her lips. Only the sound of trotting feet could be heard, following the sound of horse snorts. 

Kris' shoulders began to hurt and the feeling from his past wound came up again. Not wanting to show pain, he gently placed Minji on the horse's back. "So...Minji how old are you?" Aesook questioned. "Seven." A short response from the child. It seemed she had closed herself off. Minji turned her head the other way, without saying another word. Silence filled the air again, and Aesook felt awkward. Just moments ago she was comforting the small child, and now the child had closed herself off. "Kris how much farther?" Aesook asked, trying to break the silence. "I dont know." A sigh left his lips. He wanted silence to think. If we find a village soon, would it be one i recognize? We probably have traveled farther from where we should be. ​Aesook's feet began to ache from all the walking, but she didnt say a peep. Minji was riding the horse, and Aesook had no say in what she wanted. She was no longer in her protected castle walls, not that she wanted to be in them. Aesook was lagging behind, slowly dragging her feet along the dirt. Kris was too engrosed in his own thought to notice. "Kris." Aesook spoke breaking the ice again. Snapping back to reality, he turned his head to see Aesook a meter and a half away. "Let's take a break?" They couldnt take a break. Not now. By the time their break ended, night time would hit them and they'd be stuck there on the road. "Just sit on the horse with Minji." Kris stopped the horse and helped Aesook ontop of the horse, Aesook wrapping her arms around Minji and holding onto the reins. ​"There." Kris patted the horse, gesturing it to continue walking. No doubt Kris was also tired, as his face grew more pale than normal. He needed rest more than anyone, always being alert. Aesook worried about him, but she couldnt do anything. He was set on going ahead than finding a place to rest.

Before they knew it, night hit them like a slap to the face. The cold wind pressed against their faces and showed no signs of being gentle. Kris continued walking, half frozen. He was too cold to care about his wound that pestered him halfway through or how his legs screamed in pain. Aesook turned around to see Kris finally giving up and dragging himself on. "Kris. We need to rest now." She demanded and stopped the horse to jump off and grab hold of his arm. He let out a sound which followed to him holding his breath. He felt it now after they stopped. Hours of pain struck him like lightning and he collapsed. Shaking him back and forth, Aesook was worried. She touched the side of his neck, reaching for his heartbeat. It was fading, beating really slow and his skin was ice to the touch. "Minji, do you think you can find some place for us to hide?" Aesook questioned her, still looking at Kris and holding him close. "5 minutes top." She responded and strolled away. Aesook kept tapping Kris' cheek to see if he was conscious, but he was out. She noticed the wound bleed over his shoulder and left a red stain around his scapula. i need to do something. Rubbing her head she ripped more pieces off of her dress and started to undress Kris. It was tough given he was wearing a buttoned up shirt and a blazer. "Ugh. You're so heavy." Aesook mumbled and proceeded to strip him. "I found a place." Minji came running back within 5 minutes as promised. "There's a cave nearby and a river that flows not too far." Her finger pointed at the direction that she ran from. Nodding, Aesook tossed Kris' shirt and blazer on the horse's back and tried to lift his heavy body up. "Show me the way."

It was a 15 minute walk than a 5 minute run. Kris' body was too heavy and it grew heavier as Aesook's muscles started to tear away. Not to mention, Aesook carried him to the river and back in order to wash his shoulder of the blood and wrap it with the cloth she ripped from her dress earlier. They were lying on the cave's wall, catching their breath. It was already too late to make a fire and Minji was freezing. Her teeth chattered and she was practically shivering. "Huddle close to the horse." Aesook said and gently nudged her closer to the horse. It snorted at Aesook and laid its head on the ground. Minji tried to get as close as possible to the horse and Aesook wrapped Kris' blazer around her small frame. "Its not much but its something."Minji tried to rip it off of her body but Aesook tossed it back on. "Kris is going to be cold-" I know Minji, i know. Aesook's eyes warmed up to her and gave her a soft smile. "Sleep and then tomorrow we have to get going again." It wasnt long before Minji gave up to the endless night. Her small body could only handle so much before she was exhausted. She was past exhaustion and could barely proccess anything. Aesook gently patted her head and turned to look at Kris' body that lay on the cave's wall. he's going to freeze to death if i dont- She sighed at her own thought. It was the only thing to do and she proceeded to walk closer to him. Laying him on the ground, she crawled on top of him and wrapped her arms around his big frame. His chest was well built and his muscles were buldging out. It was comfortable in a way, but she shook the thought away. Aesook tricked herself into thinking this was the only way to save him, she had to give him her body heat. Soon, exhaustion hit her too and she fell into a deep slumber.