chapter 4

Hidden Secrets

Her forehead creased together, as her body shook in fear. Her expression showed immense pain, as small cries came from her lips. Kris glanced towards her way as he was slipping on his now-dry shirt. Tired of her small whimpers, he made his way to the sleeping girl. "Stupid." He sighed as he realized that she was having a nightmare. Gently shaking her, Aesook woke up with tears b her eyes. "Kris." her voice croaked out. His face softened at her tears, as his expression changed into worry. "Hey Aegi. You're crying again?" He lightly thumped her forehead, as she jumped into his arms. Kris had almost fallen backwards, if he wasnt prepared for anything. "You're here. You're alive." Sobbing was heard as she sniffled against his well-built torso. "Yeah i am, stupid. Stop crying now, it was a bad dream." He assumed she was crying from her nightmare. Kris gently patted her head, and then pulled away from her. "Are you done crying now?" He sighed, as he wasnt used to comforting girls at all. I must've looked stupid to him. Aesook nodded as she tried to stand up on her feet. She had almost stumbled back, if Kris had not caught her wrist. His lips formed into a playful grin. "You really are a baby. Can't really do much on your own, huh?" Kris let go of her wrist. "Anyways, we have to head on. If we follow the river down, it should lead us somewhere." Aesook nodded in understandment, as she was not particularly focused on him. Why do i feel uneasy still. Aesook wiped the now-dry tears as she began to walk step by step. Both of them gathered their belongings, and mounted on the horse. As it trotted down the river, Kris was spectating his surroundings. Something in his stomach twisted from a feeling he couldnt interpret. "Is your shoulder alright?" Aesook questioned Kris. Her gazed studied his posture, and how his shoulder slumped. He made a half-grunt half-hum noise, not bothering to use his words. Frowning, she ignored him and looked around. Even though its not much, the sight is beautiful around here. Better than the suffocating walls of the castle. Closing her eyes, she allowed the breeze to push against her face.

Kris glanced warily at his surroundings. Something still felt off and he couldnt pinpoint what it was. Aesook paid no attention to anything, not that Kris expected much from her. I hear movements. Aesook snapped back into reality and scanned the area. "So you hear it too?" Kris muttered inside of her ear. Again, electricity ran through her spine and her thoughts were all jumbled up. "No. Yes. I mean--" she let out a big sigh. "Get off the horse." Kris demanded and slid down from the horse's back. An arrow flew by almost hitting Kris if he didnt react sooner. "Damn. I didnt think they'd follow us this far." He muttered and pulled Aesook towards him. With strong arms, Kris lifted her up and started to run. Aesook turned her head to the side to look back and see arrows flying towards them with great speed. "Kris!" she yelled as she buried her face in his well-built shoulder. Damn. I need a place to set her down. he sighed as he looked around and found a couple bushes. Aesook would be able to fit under them and hide; with her small frame. "Stay here and hide." Kris gave her a stern look, as if she moved then he would punish her. Sulking, Aesook crawled under the bushes and heard Kris' feet move furthur and furthur. Closing her eyes, her nightmare came back into view and her heart stopped beating. Scared, she hurriedly moved out from the bush and ran towards the direction she heard Kris' feet moved from before. Are you safe? she asked herself, scared she might be too late.

Parts of her vision confused her as things didnt fall into place as it should have been. Her arm should have been grazed, and she should come upon a view of Kris coughing blood. What she saw infront of her was Kris wiping blood from a sword he picked up from one of the soldiers. His face turned and a cold hard glare met up with Aesook's eyes. Noticing it was Aesook, Kris' gaze softened but he sighed and smacked his face. "I told you to stay didnt i?" his voice was crisp and clear, sending shivers down her spine. "I-- i just thought." Aesook couldnt answer him properly, and he walked up and grabbed her wrist. "Lets go." muttering under his breath, he was too exhausted to argue with her. I just thought you were gonna be dead when i find you. she averted her gaze from him and slipped her wrist out of his grasp.

It was silent, only rushing water could be heard. Aesook and Kris were following the path up the river. Each turn of the forest looked the same, and it was soon dark. They would easily get lost within seconds, even with Kris' keen sense. My feet hurt. Aesook dragged her feet along, lagging behind Kris in meters. "You're so dumb." Kris sighed and walked back to crouch down. "Get on." he commanded and Aesook shook her head. "No, you're tired too. I can see it. Why dont we rest for awhile?" She suggested, and Kris almost fell for it if not the sun was dipping down deeper and deeper. "Its almost dark, if we rest here who knows if by tomorrow we will be in another situation like earlier." Kris gestured her to get on his back. If i do it, ill just burden him more. stupid goldielocks. "I can walk on my own." Aesook pursed her bottom lip out and continued walking. Such a baby. Kris rolled his eyes and continued walking, making sure to walk behind her.

Aesook spotted a small town just up ahead, and she jumped. "Kris! Kris theres a town just up ahead!" Kris sighed in defeat, he was too tired for her bubbly attitude right now. All he wanted to do was continue and check the town to see if it was safe. "Stay near me. Im going to look around the town first." Kris pulled on her wrist gently and they rushed towards the town. It was quiet and many people laid on the cold ground. Aesook squat down to touch them, only to find their bodies cold. She covered her hand with . "T-they're dead." Falling back, Kris quickly caught her before she could hit her head. This small hidden town was attacked? Was it those soldiers? No, they couldnt have passed us without us knowing. Kris was deep in thought. Soldiers was a possible cause of this town's death, but it didnt look like there were any weapons left behind. There didnt seem to be any blood shed either. Aesook stumbled upon getting up and fixed her composure. "Kris, lets look around for some survivors?" her voice was small, almost like a mouse. Kris doubted there would be any, but it was his only hope. He didnt want to be stuck in this town or any town without directions. They were already lost and they could be going farther away from his kingdom. Hearing noises from the corner, Kris turned his head ready to go into action if anything jumped out. Aesook spotted small feet covered with dirt and she proceeded to walk towards the noise. "Ae--" he couldnt stop her before she reached her hand out gently. A pair of small hands reached out towards her, and a little kid popped out from the dark. Aesook softened and bent down to her height. "What happened here?" Aesook patted the child's head with care. Kris walked up and pulled Aesook away harshly. "We dont know if this kid did this to this town or not. We need to be careful." Aesook huffed and glared at Kris. It was the first time he felt stunned because of a girl. "That child is still small! What can the child do to a whole town?" She walked back towards the child, and gazed at the child's frightened face. "Tell me, whats your name?" Aesook's voice softened like a lullaby, and held out her hand again. "M-Minji." the child spoke and ran into Aesook's arm. Tears stained Aesook's already-ruined dress. Comforting Minji, Aesook began to softly sing a lullaby to calm the child. Her voice. Its nice. Kris tilted his head as he felt all his exhuastion go away from her song.