chapter 3

Hidden Secrets

Kris was rambling on in his head at her comment from before. He clearly didnt like the name goldielocks, nor did he know how Aesook came up with it. It distracted him from the pain in his shoulder, which he unknowingly thanked her for. It didnt take them long before they realized that they were lost. The horse was walking aimlessly at any direction. Where are we headed? Aesook sighed, giving up the silent treatment for Kris. "Hey goldielocks, do you know where we are?" She didnt spare any glances towards him. "No Aegi, I dont." He sighed, hoping for Aesook to shut . Stupid goldielocks. Aesook glanced around her surroundings to find herself stuck in a forest with no viewpoints ahead. Listening closely, she heard leaves rustling with the wind and a slight noise from a distance. It sounded like rushing water, and a thought struck her mind. "Hey goldielocks, do you hear that?" Aesook turned her head to gaze at him, to find his face slightly scrunched. "Shh." he quieted her down as he listened closely to his surroundings. "Water. It must be a river." Kris stated as he ushered the horse to head due east towards the sound.

As they came across a small clearing from the trees, there was sparkling water being pushed from a waterfall that was far from their position. Kris jumped down from the horse and made his way to the river. "Seems clean enough." he muttered, taking glances at the river. Aesook followed after and led the horse to the river. Hastily, the horse drank from the rushing river, restoring its own energy. "Hey, sit down here." Aesook offered Kris a spot on the ground, as she made her way close to the edge of the river. Kris gave her a face as he sat far away from her, not wanting to be near her. Whatever goldielocks. She huffed. Aesook crawled her way to Kris' side as she began tugging on his shirt. Kris pulled away with a hard stare. "What the hell do you plan to do?" Aesook glanced at him with an innocent look, not realizing what her actions may have looked like. "What? Oh. I--" she stuttered on her own sentence, her face burning with embarassment. "I was just going to rip a piece of your shirt to patch your wound." Aesook muttered as she walked towards the edge of the river again.  Kris gave uneasy glances her way, before he thought about taking care of his own shoulder. "It's fine, i just need to get back and i'll be okay." He took her care into consideration, but didnt want her help. Okay my-- She cut off her thoughts as she began ripping pieces of her own dress. Her now-dirtied peach dress slid above mid-thigh, but enough to cover her up. She rinsed the dirt off the piece of fabric and made her way to where Kris sat. "Are you going to take off your shirt, or will i have to?" Aesook's tone was threatening, and Kris gave her a look. "You're absolutely crazy." He muttered, but didnt want to test her patience. He barely had enough patience for her.

Kris began to remove his shirt as Aesook took it and rinsed the blood in the river. Carefully, she scrubbed it and hanged it on the back of the horse. Kris took careful steps close to the river. Aesook glanced back as she saw Kris rinsing his wound off. He bit down on his bottom lip, deeply inhaling and exhaling breathes of air. The blood had dried on his skin, as the red color slid down his back. Aesook cringed at the sight of the rushing color, but her eyes focused on the image of a dragon on his arm. It was inked into his skin, and she was drawn to the simple yet exquisite design. It looked perfect, laying there on his arm. She dragged her feet closer to him, resisting the urge to touch his tattoo. "Thats good enough." Aesook whispered loud enough for him to hear, as he halted his actions. Carefully, Aesook wrapped the piece of cloth around his wound as best as she could, wrapping it around his shoulders and torso. "Its not the best, but it should last. Right?" Aesook was hoping for the best, as she knew they were lost. He needed medical attention right now, not someone who never wrapped a bandage before. "I thought you wanted me to bleed to death?" Kris glanced at her, before retreating away. He crawled over to the spot where the horse was laying, and leaned against the tree nearby. Tilting his head back onto the log, he closed his eyes hoping to get a little sleep. Exhaustion overcame his body, although he should be more alert now than ever.

Aesook stood there in shock as she gazed at him sleeping. He was already fast asleep, leaning against the still tree. Hes already dead asleep? Making sure to not make any noise, she headed towards him and crouched down onto her heels on her feet. Waving a hand across his face, he had no reaction. "Goldielocks?" she squeaked out, blowing air into his face. His expression remained still as she continued to bother his resting figure. His hair now was all over the place, from the wind pushing against his hair. Gently, she brushed his locks back into place, taking notice of his silky-soft hair. If only he was as innocent as he looks now. Jutting out her bottom lip over her top, she glared at him. Reality hit her as she was here alone with him, being the only one awake. "I could run away and leave him here." Aesook muttered, but guilt washed over her. He was injured, and he saved her earlier from the soldiers. Aesook couldnt abandon him here to die, beside they both were lost and she didnt know her way back. She was too busy being annoyied with Kris than remembering her surroundings. Also, the area of the forests looked the same, whether north and south or east and west. Aesook needed him in order to make it out alive.

"Goodnight Kris." Aesook whispered as she laced her hand through his hair one last time, before pulling away and leaning on the other side of the tree. She drifted off into a deep slumber, as the darkness of the night watched over them.

Kris grabbed her wrist as he ran swiftly across the forest with her following right behind. Arrows flew their way, grazing her arm in the process. Letting out a plea of help, Kris pulled her faster and away from the arrows. "You stay here." He ordered her to not move from her spot, as he began to scout his surroundings and left her there. "No! Dont leave me!" She screamed as he fled past the countless trees, trying to protect them both from danger. Aesook jumped up from her spot, as she sped towards the direction of which he ran. There she glanced at the limp body of Kris, coughing out blood. He was surrounded by ten soldiers pointing their swords at his body. The tallest of the men, holding his sword at Kris' neck. "Die." The male spoke as he lifted his sword.