Chapter 2: Flirty Guy

Sweet Starlight

Chapter 2

 

            “Chunghee-yah…I love you.  I always have.  I don’t know why it took you so long to notice.  I don’t know why it took so long for me to say it.  And now…it’s too late…”

            Jiyul gave a satisfied smile as she finished practicing her script.  She placed her notes on the table and returned to the fried rice on the stove.  It was 11AM, and Ahyoung, Woohee, and Subin had left for their filming schedules already.  Gaeun had decided to visit her family on this quiet day off.  After last night’s adventure with Hakyeon, Serri was only just beginning to stir in her bed.  Jiyul kept a close eye on her all morning, hoping she would wake up to at least eat something.

            “Hello?  Is anyone home?”

            At the sound of Serri’s tired, shaky voice, Jiyul rushed out into the living room and looked down the hallway.  Serri walked towards her, holding onto the wall for support.  Jiyul quickly went to help her, and finally led her to the couch.

            “Unnie, how do you feel?  Do you have a headache?”

            “A little bit,” Serri sighed, putting her hand to the side of her head.

            Jiyul frowned as she patted Serri’s messy hair down.  “I’ll get you some water.  I’m making some fried rice, if you’d like some.  You really should eat something.  I don’t think you had dinner last night.”

            “Ah, I hate him so much.”  Serri’s anger was masked in grogginess and pain.  She laid down on the couch and put a pillow over her eyes.  “You were right, Jiyul-ah.  I shouldn’t have gone to meet with him.  I shouldn’t have listened to him.  Aish, I’m such an idiot.”

            Jiyul brought a glass of water out of the kitchen and handed it to Serri.  “Unnie, you’re already hurt.  Don’t beat yourself up about it.  But if you ever let him hurt you again…I won’t let him survive.”

            Serri smiled bashfully and took a sip of her water.  “Ah, my Jiyul-ah.  Always taking care of us and threatening the lives of our enemies.”

            “I just don’t want you to get hurt, unnie,” Jiyul grinned, walking back to the kitchen.  “And you really put yourself in a dangerous position by drinking so much.  You should be happy Hakyeon was there to take you home.”

            Serri’s eyes opened wide as blurred memories flashed through her mind.  She shot up from the couch hurried to the kitchen.  “What did you say about Hakyeon?”

            “He saw you at Tatsu last night and offered to take you home,” Jiyul explained, stirring the rice in its pan.  “You fell asleep in the car.”

            “I didn’t take a taxi home?” Serri asked, panic in her eyes.  “I specifically remember planning to take a taxi on the way home.  And I was going to cry inside of it.  I was going to cry a lot.”

            “Well…all of that happened,” Jiyul assured reluctantly, giving a small grimace.  “But there was no taxi.  You were in Hakyeon’s car.”

            Serri suddenly stared down at the floor with a horrified expression.  Fragments of last night’s memory began to fit together like a puzzle, and agonizing embarrassment overwhelmed her.

            “Oh my gosh…he did drive me home,” Serri admitted with dread.  “Jiyul-ah, what did I do?  What did I tell him?”

            “Well…apparently you were crying quite a bit,” Jiyul informed, turning off the stove and turning to her distressed friend.  “Your mascara was a little…messy.”

            “Aigoo.”  Serri leaned on the refrigerator and covered her face with her hands.  “What else?”

            “And it seems like you told him at least a little bit about Yoohwan.  I don’t know how much you told him, though.”

            “Ah, poor Hakyeon-ssi,” Serri lamented through gritted teeth.  “He was just trying to be nice, and my drunken self must have freaked him out.”

            “Hakyeon is a really nice oppa, unnie,” Jiyul insisted quickly, pulling Serri’s hands away from her face.  “He didn’t seem traumatized at all.  He just wanted to make sure you were safe.”

            “I’ll just…I’ll just have to avoid him for the rest of my life,” Serri concluded, giving a nervous smile.  “That won’t be too hard.”

            “I hope you’re being sarcastic, unnie.”

            “Well, it’s not like I really need to spark up a conversation with him when we run into VIXX during schedules.”

            “Unnie, you’re not usually like this!” Jiyul exclaimed in amazement.  “You couldn’t have embarrassed yourself that much!”

            “It’s especially upsetting because I don’t remember much.”  Serri took a deep breath and walked out into the living room.  “It couldn’t be that difficult to avoid him.”

            “Well…I have some news you might not like.”

            “Please tell me it has nothing to do with VIXX,” Serri begged, turning back to Jiyul with sad eyes.

            “The director of my drama just contacted Happy Face today.  He wants all of Dal Shabet and VIXX to participate in a scene we’re filming next week.”

            “What?”  Whether because of disbelief or a sudden loss of sanity, a wide smile emerged on Serri’s face.  She laughed for a moment before stopping to stare deep into Jiyul’s wide, terrified eyes.  “Are you serious?”

            “…Yes.”

            “Oh my gosh.”

            “Unnie, I know what you’re thinking,” Jiyul began as Serri slumped over to the couch and laid face first on it.  “But you know they won’t let you get out of this unless you have a more relevant schedule.  And you’ve been pretty free these past few weeks.”

            Serri whined something unintelligible into the couch, and Jiyul sat down beside her and rubbed her back.  “Unnie…it’s going to be okay.  I’m sure Hakyeon understands.  And…I guess the rest of us can try to surround you during the filming.  Maybe you won’t even have to talk to him.”

 

*          *          *

 

One Week Later

 

            “Flirty Girl?  Why do I have to be the Flirty Girl?  Who will I be flirting with?”

            Busy actors and film crews scurried about the large television set of the hottest new drama, Time Will Tell.  This realistic set was designed to look like the most popular clubs in Seoul.  In the center of the flashy dance floor, there stood a hefty circular bar, stocked with several bottles of cheap, off-brand alcohol.  Lights were being tested, flashing on and off throughout the set.

            In the midst of the chaos stood Dal Shabet, reading the character cards they were given the day before.  While Jiyul filmed her scene with Hongbin, the other members of Dal Shabet, as well as the other members of VIXX, were supposed to be conspicuously in the background.

            “I don’t know, unnie,” Jiyul sighed, attempting to review her script.  “The director will explain everything when the set is finished.”

            “I’m so nervous,” Serri scowled.

            “Unnie, you usually love to act,” Subin suggested in confusion.  “Why are you being like this?”

            “Listen, Hongbin and Jiyeon are waiting for me to practice with them,” Jiyul said, looking over to the corner of the room where her fellow cast members stood.  “Unnie, just relax.  I’m sure you won’t be…put in an uncomfortable situation.”

            As Jiyul left, Serri looked down at her character card again.  “Ugh, Flirty Girl.”

            “I’m happy we get to act with the VIXX oppas,” Woohee smiled excitedly.

            “Woohee-ah, you’re older than half of them,” Ahyoung reminded, rolling her eyes.

            “Ya!”  Woohee swiftly smacked Ahyoung in the arm with her character card.  “That changes nothing.”

            “Jiyeon is in this drama too,” Serri noted, still staring helplessly at her character card.  “They could have invited T-ara to make an appearance.”

            “You’re being really strange, unnie,” Ahyoung pouted.  “Even after Hakyeon gave you a ride home last week, you have something against VIXX?”

            “Ahyoung unnie, let’s just leave Serri unnie alone.”  Gaeun made eye contact with Serri for only a moment before casually looking away.  Though Serri hadn’t told Gaeun anything related to Yoohwan’s invite last week, she was always perceptive and sensitive to the feelings of others.

            Grateful for Gaeun’s help, Serri decided to calm down and observe her dongsaengs’ impressive appearance.  Though Jiyul was dressed in a basic, yet pretty, floral dress, the rest of her members wore bright, outstanding club outfits.  Ahyoung wore tight black shorts and a black and white blazer over a glimmering, blue blouse.  Subin’s legs looked miles long in her short white dress.  Woohee and Gaeun were the only members wearing skinny jeans.  Woohee wore a cute, short leather jacket over a graphic t-shirt, while Gaeun simply wore a red crop top.

            Everyone’s makeup looked absolutely divine, and Serri’s pride and adoration for them quickly overwhelmed her anxiety.  She wrapped her arms around Woohee and put her head on her shoulder.

            “Ah, look at my babies.  They’re so beautiful.”

            “Dal Shabet!”

            The girls turned suddenly to see Ken from VIXX standing before them.  His happy, friendly smile still gave Serri a shock, and she hid herself behind Woohee incase Hakyeon had told him about their embarrassing incident.

            “Hi, Jaehwan-ssi!” Subin greeted, giving him a hug.  The rest of the members bowed politely, content to simply watch Subin’s ridiculously outgoing personality in action.

            “Hello, girls,” he grinned, bowing towards each of them after his hug with Subin.  “I haven’t seen you in a while.  Except Serri.”

            “Except…me?” Serri asked in terror.

            “Well, I only heard about what happened, but it sounded really funny.”

            “What?”

            “Wonshik-ah, come talk to us about Dream Team!”

            Serri’s heart slowed its rapid beating as Ravi approached them.  He exchanged a hug with Subin and bowed to the rest of the members.  Spurred on by Jaehwan, he then began to talk about his experience of being on Let’s Go Dream Team with Serri.  No matter how little the two knew about last week’s incident, Serri was still relieved when the director came over to show each of them where they would be for filming.

            The director showed Serri to a booth towards the entrance of the club.  He told her to sit down and wait for her flirting partner.  To have Hakyeon as her flirting partner would be the absolute worst possible scenario.  Could the last thing she wanted really be the thing she would get?  She convinced herself that she didn’t do anything so horrible to receive such terrible luck.

            She looked out onto the dance floor and saw Gaeun, Woohee, Wonshik, and Hyuk attempting to dance like genuine clubbers.  They broke down into laughter every few minutes, but she knew they would be able to act professionally in the end.  Leo, or Taekwoon, appeared stunning as the bartender, wearing a bright, white dress shirt.  He immediately began to play with the alcohol bottles as he prepared for his role.

            Jaehwan suddenly walked past her towards the entrance of the club.  He stood by the door and stood idly by with his hands in his pockets.  Serri smiled and waved him over.

            “Jaehwan-ssi, would you happen to be Flirty Guy?”

            “Ah, no, but I’m the Flirty Creep,” he chuckled, taking his character card from his pocket and showing it to her.  “I have to hit on Jiyul when she enters the club.  The director’s bringing over Flirty Guy right now.”

            Serri looked over to find Flirty Guy and the director, only to wince in utter discomfort.  Hakyeon, that tall, kindhearted man who had haunted her dreams since last week approached her with a shy smile on his face.  When he and the director arrive, he bowed timidly and avoided her anxious eyes.

            “Okay, you two are the flirty couple,” the director explained, rushing his words.  “You just have to sit here with one another and act lovey-dovey.  You’ll be in the shot at the very beginning and towards the end, so be in character at all times.  And be aware of where Jiyul, Hongbin, and Jiyeon are, just so you can be warned if you’re about to be filmed.”

            “Okay,” both Serri and Hakyeon replied reverently.

            “Just sit down next to her and turn on the charm.  We film in two minutes.  Hurry up.”

            Hakyeon bowed again before he sat down beside her.  He watched the director run off before finally turning to look at Serri.  She tried to be as amiable and casual as possible, but her whole body was tense.  He grinned awkwardly and kept a few inches between them on the seat.

            Those two minutes seemed to drag on and on.  Serri focused her attention on Jiyul, who was busily preparing herself for the scene just outside the club door.  But her thoughts were centered on Hakyeon and all that she had told him one week ago.  When the director finally called “Action!”, her heart skipped a beat.

            Serri noticed Jiyul stepping through the door, and she saw Jaehwan begin to pester her for attention.  But she quickly realized she couldn’t just watch what was happening; she had a role to play.  Before she could begin to act, she heard Hakyeon’s gentle voice in her ear.

            “How have you been, Serri?”

            She turned to see the clumsy, flirty smirk he was forcing onto his face.  Her first reaction was to laugh, and she swiftly exaggerated it for the scene.

            “I’ve been well.” 

For any other person, it wouldn’t be too difficult to give a playful grin or an amorous stare.  But she could hardly bring herself to look at him.  She gave a sigh of relief when Jiyul and the camera passed by.

            “Hakyeon-ssi…”  Serri took a deep breath and gave an apologetic smile.  “I want to thank you for taking me home last week.  And I want to apologize for being so embarrassing.  I must have made you feel really uncomfortable.”

            “Ah, please don’t apologize, Serri-ssi,” he insisted promptly, shaking his head.  “I’m just glad I could help out.  It’s better than if some random creep or taxi driver had witnessed your breakdown.  They might have filmed it or tried to capitalize on it.”

            “But I was such a drunken mess.  I’m really sorry-”

            “Please don’t worry, Serri-ssi,” he frowned.  “The only thing that really made me uncomfortable was how hurt you were.  Are you okay now?”

            Serri expected Hakyeon to treat her awkwardly for the rest of their lives, but he was already showing gracious care and concern.  She gave a grateful smile and looked down at her legs.  “Ah…well, it’s easier to not be hurt by that night because I hardly remember it.”

            He gave a loud laugh and covered his mouth with his hand.  Just as she began to join him, Jiyul ran past them, followed by a desperate Hongbin.

            “Eunsun!  Wait!  Stop!”

            “Cut!”

            Jiyul and Hongbin walked back into the club and met with the director.  As he explained certain points to them, Hakyeon quietly critiqued Hongbin’s acting, while Serri devotedly praised Jiyul’s acting.

            “Hongbin is such a cute actor, though,” Serri insisted.  “He’s very precious.  I think that’s his charm.”

            “She just told him that she’s going to die,” he reminded, shaking his head.  “If I heard my best friend was going to die, I’d be a little more messed up.”

            “There’s initial shock that comes with news that serious.  He’s doing a great job of conveying it.”

            “Okay!”  The director looked around the club and garnered the attention of every employee.  “Let’s get ready for take two!”  Jiyul and Hongbin dispersed to their respective starting points, but the director stopped by Serri and Hakyeon to speak with them.  “You two aren’t flirty enough.  Turn up the heat a little bit.  I feel awkward watching you.”

            “Okay…”

            Hakyeon was obviously flustered by the director’s words, but Serri had no more shame to dictate her acting.  “Hakyeon-ssi, do you feel uncomfortable with skinship?”

            “I…I do get a little embarrassed,” he admitted as the director walked away.  “I can act y by myself, but as soon as you insert anyone else, I get a little nervous.”

            “Ah…Let me help you.”

            Serri took Hakyeon’s arm and placed it just behind her on the back of the booth.  She leaned in closer and held her fist in front of her.  “Fighting!”

            “Ah…fighting,” he replied, his red cheeks glowing in the lowlight. 

            “Action!”

            As Jiyul entered the club, Serri leaned towards Hakyeon and put her lips up to his ear.  “Smile, okay?”

            “Okay…”

            “I just wanted to say…thank you.  Thank you for caring about how I feel.  That means a lot to me.”

            As she leaned back, he grinned down at the ground fretfully.  But he finally looked up and gave a stern nod.  “I don’t like it when people are hurt.”

            “Me neither,” she smiled.

            The scene continued on, and Serri and Hakyeon toned down their flirting.  Hakyeon even looked over at the dance floor to check on his other members.  He suddenly gave a bright laugh and turned back to Serri.

            “What is it, oppa?”

            “I’m pretty sure Taekwoon has a crush on Gaeun,” he informed amusedly.  “I’m very sure, actually.”

            “Really?”  Serri looked over at Taekwoon in shock.  “Why do you think that?”

            “He’s been looking at her ever since we arrived to the set.  And he looks excessively depressed about being all by himself at that bar.  Earlier, when we passed by Gaeun, he couldn’t even say ‘hello’.  I know he’s quiet, but he can usually greet other people.”

            “Aww, the poor thing,” Serri exclaimed.  “Do you think he’ll ever talk to her?”

            “I really don’t know.”

            They both looked back and saw Jiyul and Hongbin running towards them.  Hakyeon suddenly leaned forward and whispered into Serri’s ear, “I think we need to help them out.”

            “How can we do that?”

            “…I have a plan.”