Chapter 11: The Island

Sweet Starlight

Chapter 11

 

October 19, 2014 10:17PM KST

 

Serri: are error promotions going well?

Hakyeon: yeah, i realized how spoiled i’ve been over our break, hahaha.

Serri: you shouldn’t have come to the hospital, you know? It was basically the release date for your album. i feel bad

Hakyeon: i wouldn’t have been able to promote or perform if I didn’t know you guys were okay!! :) don’t worry about it, serri-yah.

Serri: ...i really appreciate you coming. :)

Hakyeon: i’m sorry I’ve been really busy since then. How is Yoohee?

Hakyeon: Woohee. Sorry, autocorrect

Serri: she’s doing better. She’s recovering with her family now. I really hate to leave her here when we go to Taiwan tomorrow.

Hakyeon: if she needs anything, please let me know. We’ll take care of her.

Serri: thanks, oppa ^^

 

October 20, 2014 11:21PM KST

 

Hakyeon: Serri-yah, I know you must be still settling in Taiwan, but I was hoping to ask you a favor. If you get the chance...could you think of three of your least favorite memories with Yoohwan. The worst you can think of. You don’t need to give me details if you don’t want, but if you could let me know the location at least, that would be helpful.

 

October 21, 2014 2:08AM KST

 

Serri: Oppa...? I don’t really understand...i’ll try, I guess.

 

*     *     *

 

November 2, 2014 7:31AM KST

 

Serri: I was thinking about your request...one of my least favorite memories with Yoohwan is the one time we went to Jeju Island together.  He seemed uninterested in all the beautiful sights...including me. Not saying i’m a beautiful sight! but of course I am ;)

Serri: anyway, it was generally unpleasant, and he insisted we make a very uncomfortable venture through Loveland...The worst part of the whole trip was that he lied to me about the ferry times. we ended up missing the last ferry leaving the island, and he admitted that he lied to me on purpose! i was so angry. he wanted to just share a room at one of the hotels, but i made him pay for his own separate room. he was disappointed. the next morning, he apologized and insisted he was just trying to be romantic. and I believed him...

 

*          *          *

 

            Early the next morning, Hakyeon walked down to the Happy Face dorms carrying a large, temperature-control bag.  Yesterday they arranged for a mysterious day trip for today.  Though he kept their destination a secret over text, he told her to dress warmly.  Serri stumbled out of the dorm, her eyes nearly closed.  She gave a childish pout as she stood before Hakyeon.

            “The sun is barely up, oppa,” she sighed, giving her foot a weak stomp.

            Hakyeon laughed, not sure if her behavior was an act or a true color of her vivid personality.  “It seems the same with you, Serri-yah.  Come on, let’s go.”

            Basically dragging her behind him, Hakyeon led Serri to the Seoul train station.  He paid for tickets to Donghae City, and they swiftly boarded the train.  Serri remained in a semi-conscious state, leaning on Hakyeon as soon as they sat down.  Hakyeon placed his bag under their seats before leaning against Serri as well and giving a long yawn.

            “Where are we going?” Serri asked sleepily as the train began moving.

            “Donghae,” he whispered.

            “Donghae?”  Her tired voice became a high-pitched whine again.  “That’s so far away.”

            “I don’t think I can stay awake the whole trip,” he sighed, suddenly reaching down into his bag.

            “I’m already half asleep.  We’re going to end up at the border, oppa.”

            “I thought of a solution.”

            Serri felt a small tap on her head and quickly opened her eyes.  A piece of paper was taped to the top of her head.  She ripped it off slowly, finding that the cheap tape didn’t hold very well.  The paper simply read “To Donghae.”

            “Oppa, what is this?” she questioned, holding the note out to him.

            His eyes were suddenly closed, and he leaned on her shoulder.  “Shh, Serri-yah.  Let’s sleep.”

            Serri stared at the paper for a few moments, then sighed and taped it to her head again.  She leaned her head on Hakyeon and soon drifted back to sleep.  It seemed like only a few minutes later a man was tapping her on the shoulder.

            “Excuse me, Miss,” the old man called gently. 

            Serri was the first to wake, and she humbly thanked the considerate man.  Removing the note from her head, she gently tapped Hakyeon’s cheeks.

            “Oppa, wake up.  We’re here.”

            With his eyes still closed, Hakyeon reached down for his bag and rose from his seat.  The two of them slowly left the train groggily, only to be shocked by the frosty ocean air outside.  Freshly caught fish filled the air with their awful stench, and loud fog horns could be heard in the distance.  After admiring the sea, Serri looked back and marveled at the green, mountainous landscape just behind the harbor. 

            “This is so beautiful,” she smiled, finally feeling awake.  “Are we spending the day here?”

            “No,” he informed, quickly leading her toward the edge of the harbor.  “We need to catch the ferry to Ulleungdo.”

            “Ulleungdo?”  Serri imagined the mysterious, breathtaking island just off the coast of Donghae in her head.  “We’re going to Ulleungdo?”

            “Yes.”

            When they reached the ferry office, Hakyeon rushed to buy their tickets.  As the cashier processed his order, he motioned to the brochures on the counter.

            “Serri-yah, could you check the ferry times?” he requested.

            “Hmm?”

            “I already checked them, but it’s best for both of us to be alert.”

            As she took a brochure from the counter, she eyed him carefully.  He spoke so matter-of-factly, but she knew there was more to his words.  Yoohwan’s lies and the Jeju Island disaster –was this some sort of correction?  Looking through the ferry times, she knew plainly that she would not even need to know them.  Hakyeon was a gentleman.  She smirked slyly before reading the brochure and faking an enthusiastic interest.

             Immediately they boarded the ferry, which was overwhelmingly cold due to the frigid ocean air.  They quickly made their way into the lounge and dining areas inside the ship, where Hakyeon reluctantly allowed Serri to buy the both of them some coffee.

            “You must be so tired waking up early like this on your day off,” Serri insisted, bringing their drinks to their table.  “In the middle of promotions…You really should rest.”

            “Sleep doesn’t always give the right kind of rest,” he smiled, taking a sip of his coffee.  “Ah, that’s hot.  Thanks again, Serri-yah.”

            “We could have walked around the park if you really wanted to spend time together,” she chuckled.  “But I really appreciate this.  I’m still wondering what you have planned…”

            Leaning back in his chair, he simply grinned and tapped the table with his finger.  He looked down at his drink with tired, yet excited, eyes.  “Serri-yah, what made you and Yoohwan decide to visit Jeju Island?”

            “Hmm…isn’t that what couples do?” she asked bitterly, eventually giving an apologetic smile.  “Well, my grandparents live in Haenam, which is less than a three hour ferry trip from Jeju.  During the week, when we were both free, we took the train down to my grandparents’ house.  We spent the rest of the day with them and spent the night at their house.  Early the next morning, we went to Jeju.”

            “That’s nice to have grandparents so conveniently in Haenam,” Hakyeon chuckled.  “Do you visit them often?”

            “Not often enough,” Serri sighed, looking out the window at the empty boat deck.  “It’s very special when I visit them.  In hindsight, it’s clear that Yoohwan didn’t even understand that.  I was really happy to introduce him to them.  I had never actually done that with anyone before.”

            Hakyeon continued tapping the table, though his rhythm increased steadily.  “Did your grandparents like him?”

            “My grandmother tried really hard to welcome him, but I think my grandfather sensed something strange,” Serri admitted reluctantly.  “My grandfather doesn’t talk very much, but he seemed to talk even less when Yoohwan was visiting.”

            “I wish he’d stopped you two from going to Jeju Island,” Hakyeon confessed quietly, picking up his coffee cup and giving it a swirl.  A few drops of coffee splashed out onto the table, but he only stared at the small puddles with glassy eyes.

            Sensing Hakyeon’s frustration, Serri gave a bright smile and leaned back in her seat.  “But I’m glad I got to visit Jeju.  It’s a beautiful island.  I still enjoyed myself.”

            He mustered up a grin and finally wiped up the puddle with a napkin.  “I’m glad, Serri-yah.  But…I’m sad you were trapped there.”

            “Trapped…”  Serri gave a silent nod as she realized the accuracy of his word.  She took a sip of her coffee and forced a laugh.  “The most awkward part about it was calling my grandparents.”

            “They were expecting you that night?”

            “Yes, we were supposed to go back to their house and spend another night with them before heading back to Seoul,” Serri explained.  “My grandmother was so worried when I told her we had missed the ferry.  Of course, I didn’t mention anything about Yoohwan’s scheme.  Oppa…my grandparents are very traditional people.  And so am I, to an extent…Times have changed, but I don’t just…Um…How can I explain…?”

            “I suppose they made you share separate rooms at their house,” Hakyeon suggested shyly.

            “Well, yes…but…I mean, we had never shared a room…or bed before, anyway…um…”  Serri cringed at the awkward topic, but she knew the worst part was over.  “I think that’s why Yoohwan wanted to trap me.  I assured my grandmother that we had missed the ferry on accident and that we were sharing separate rooms.  But I’m pretty sure she thought we tried to trick her.  Like it was our plan all along.”

            “Oh no,” Hakyeon said under his breath, giving her a worried look.  “Was she mad at you when you returned?”

            “When we made it back to the mainland, Yoohwan took a train back to Seoul right away,” Serri began.  “But I went back to my grandparents’ house.  And when I got there…My grandfather wouldn’t even speak to me.”

            “Serri-yah,” Hakyeon sighed with a frown.

            “My grandmother seemed distant, but she also seemed eager for an explanation.  When I finally told her about what Yoohwan had done…she was sympathetic.”

            “And your grandfather?”

            “When she told him, he spoke to me again.”  Serri gave a pout and held tightly to her coffee cup.  “The first words out of his mouth were, ‘You need to leave him.’”

            “Ah, I admire him already,” Hakyeon grinned, his whole body finally relaxing.

            “I wish I had listened to him sooner,” Serri said with gritted teeth.  “I stayed with him for another three weeks before I found him cheating on me.”

            “You were in love, Serri-yah,” Hakyeon insisted gently.  “I think that makes your actions very innocent.  He was the heartless one.”

            Serri drank the last of her coffee and smiled at him.  “Thank you, Hakyeon.”

            Outside the wind seemed to rage against every inch of the boat.  Nearly every passenger herded into the small café and dining area.  After watching the third teenage girl “accidentally” bump into Hakyeon’s shoulder, Serri took his hand and led him out onto the deck.

            “Serri-yah,” Hakyeon called, his frosty breath disappearing into the chilly air.  “Isn’t it too cold to be out here?”

            “You can’t handle it?” she asked as her tiny body shivered violently in the wind.  “It’s…It’s exhilarating!”

            They stayed close together as they walked to the edge of the boat.  Frigid water splashed up at them, and the cold air sent chills down their spines.  Serri pointed excitedly at a small bump far off in the water.

            “Look, it’s a whale!” she cried.

            “Serri-yah,” Hakyeon laughed, taking her shivering hand from the icy air.  “You don’t have gloves.  Be careful.”

            “I’m fine,” she insisted with a jolly smile.  “I just can’t feel my nose.”

            He gently pressed his finger onto her tiny nose.  “Ah, I can feel your nose.”

            “Yah!”  She gave a playful growl and impishly nipped at his finger.  As he swiftly pulled his finger away, she slipped her arms around him and hid her frozen face in his chest.  After pulling up the hood of her jacket, he held her close for the rest of the boat ride.

            They shortly arrived at the Dodong Harbor at Ulleungdo, and soon enough they were greeted by the livid smell of fresh sea food.  As they left the boat and entered the small, shore side town, they noticed fresh squid drying all around them.  Merchants and restaurant owners called out to them, hoping to draw them in for business.

            “Ah, it’s lunch time!” a cute, older woman called from her hut-like shop.  “Buy the pretty lady a bowl of tofu soup!”

            Giving a bashful smile, Hakyeon tugged on Serri’s hand.  “Serri-yah, I hope you don’t mind.  I made lunch for today.  Would you like to find a spot to eat it within the island?”

            “Ah, you made us lunch?” Serri questioned eagerly.  “Wow!  That sounds great, oppa!”

            They held hands and acted as a couple, though they both knew their status wasn’t so clear.  But somehow they didn’t mind it.  Every few minutes, Serri looked over at his happy face and felt guilty for still loving Yoohwan.  But over the last few weeks he proved he was more interested in being there for her than being her official boyfriend.  Her heart ached at the thought of it, but she knew she couldn’t leave him again, not just for her sake, but for his.

            Enduring the chilly air, they began to make their way toward the center of the island.  Beautiful green plants surrounded them, though most of the flowers had withered when autumn began.  The two enthralled travelers observed the towering Seonginbong Volcano ahead of them.  Clouds swirled around the peak, and it seemed like it could rain at any moment.

            They finally found a picnic area near a stunning pond.  The water glistened and splashed as a small waterfall trickled down from the side of the mountain.  Hakyeon took their lunch out of his bag while Serri stared in amazement at the picturesque sight.

            “Hakyeon-ah, is this Bongnae Waterfall?”

            “Ah, no, that’s about an hour into the island,” Hakyeon explained.  “You have to take a bus to see it.”

            “Have you been here before?” Serri asked, taking a seat at their table.  She was immediately distracted by the meticulously packaged kimbap that Hakyeon set on the table.  “Oppa, did you make this?”

            “Yes…and yes,” he smirked.  He took out a bottle of kimchi and two pairs of silver chopsticks.  “Don’t they look nice?”

            “They look really delicious!” Serri insisted happily, quickly taking one from the container.  “So neat and flawless.”

            As soon as they began eating, they realized how hungry they really were.  It had been such a long, tiring morning; their bodies battled both exhaustion and cold.  Hakyeon took a thermos from his bag, as well as a small, wooden box filled with various teas.  Serri, still surprised with his preparedness, chose a tea, and they were soon warming their bodies with the boiling drink.

            “Wow, Hakyeon, this is really incredible,” she smiled after eating for a few minutes.  “Your members must really appreciate you around the dorm.”

            Hakyeon only chuckled and sipped his tea shyly.  After tossing one more piece of kimbap in , Serri took her phone out of her pocket.

            “My grandmother has mentioned how much she loves Ulleungdo,” Serri began reluctantly, pushing a few buttons on her phone.  “I think I’ll give her a call.”

            “Okay,” Hakyeon grinned.

            Serri faced away from Hakyeon and held her phone in front of them.  Upon realizing it was a video call, Hakyeon suddenly ducked under the picnic table.

            “A video call?” he asked in shock.

            Serri laughed happily and moved the camera to only capture her face.  When her grandmother finally appeared on the screen, she gave a bright smile and waved.

            “Hi, Grandma!” she beamed.

            “Serri-yah?”  Grandma Park fiddled with her phone for a few moments before finally giving Serri a cheerful grin.  “Serri-yah, how are you?  Are you eating lunch?”

            “Yes,” Serri answered.  “Grandma, I’m on Ulleundo!”

            “Ulleungdo?” she exclaimed.  “Wow, Serri-yah!  Yah, it must be really cold over there!  Are you dressed warmly?”

            “Don’t worry, Grandma, I’m warm enough,” Serri assured, her red cheeks and nose saying otherwise.

            “Are you there with your members?” Grandma Park questioned.  “Or some other friends?”

            “Hakyeon oppa took me.”  As Serri gave a blissful chuckle, she turned the camera to capture both her and Hakyeon.  He had risen from beneath the table, but he appeared timid and flustered by the camera.  Giving a small wave, he attempted to relax in his seat.

            “Hakyeon oppa?”  Grandma Park observed Hakyeon carefully, and her eyes began to fill with worry.  “Hmm…he looks like an idol as well.”

            “Yes, he is,” Serri explained, laughing at Hakyeon’s awkward posture.

            “Hmm…Serri-yah, Ulleundo is quite far from Seoul,” Grandma Park began slowly.  “Are you going to make it back by tonight?”

            “Hakyeon made me double check the ferry schedule,” Serri informed, taking the brochure from her pocket.  “We’ll be sure to get back on time.”

            “Oh,” Grandma Park smiled, eyeing the brochure gleefully.  “That’s wonderful.  Thank you for being so responsible, Hakyeon-ah.”

            Hakyeon shrunk in his seat.  “Ah…I just wanted to get back on time.”

            “Will you be…staying in Donghae?” Grandma Park continued with anxious eyes.

            “No, we’ll be taking the train back to Seoul.”

            Grandma Park’s eyes lit up, and she looked adoringly back at Hakyeon.  “That’s wonderful.  I hope you’ll have a safe trip.”

            “We will,” Serri promised, suddenly rising from her seat.  “Grandma, look at this pond over here.  It’s amazing!”

            As Serri ran off to the pond, Hakyeon gave a deep sigh and grinned.  He watched Serri contently as she seemed to dance along the water’s edge.  She was nothing like the girl he imagined wanting.  She was hardly studious, and there was never a moment when she wasn’t talking, crying, or laughing.  But as he studied her, he realized he had never wanted someone more.

            “Oppa!” Serri called from the pond.  She waved her phone in the air.  “Let’s take some pictures!  This place is so beautiful!”

            Hakyeon leapt up from his seat and rushed over to her.  The two of them huddled closely and took a few dozen pictures together.  Though the air was colder than ever, they felt quite warm enough standing together.  They looked down at the pond and marveled at their reflection in the water.  Their two figures seemed to blend together; and that was quite alright.

~~~

Author's note: Hey guys! Here are some pictures of Ulleungdo just in case you want to know where Serri and N went on their date~