Happy Holidays, TheNarratress!

EunHae Holidays 2014

Title: Seasons Shift (but so do we)
Author: [REDACTED]
Giftee: TheNarratress
Rating: M/R
Word Count: 18,015
Warnings: , homophobia, some cursing
Author’s note: I think about 1/3 of this so sorry for that >< I hope you like it anyway!

 


 

On their eleventh birthdays, his classmates watch Harry Potter dressed in black cloaks much too large for them and wish dearly that they would be receiving a letter. On their eleventh birthdays, his fellow witches receive their familiar, bought by their parents. Magical or not, eleventh birthdays tend to be a reason for excitement.

Unfortunately for Hyukjae, his birthday is the day before Halloween. It’s just his luck that by the time his parents get around to finding familiars to buy, every breeder in South Korea is sold out.

“I’m so sorry, Hyukjae,” Deok Bom says remorsefully, bringing her son in for a hug. “There’s been a large demand, and their sales always peak around Halloween because the cats get excited. We’re trying, we really are.”

“It’s okay,” Hyukjae returns the embrace and tries to keep the disappointment out of his voice. “I can wait.”

“The slight problem is,” Kang Hun grimaces, “they’ve sold all of their cats older than ten.”

Hyukjae’s jaw drops open with shock. “All of them?!

“There are a lot of witches your age, Hyukjae,” Deok Bom sighs. “After the war…”

“That was twelve years ago,” Hyukjae grumbles, “what’s that got to do with anything?”

Deok Bom and Kang Hun exchange a glance and shake their heads. “I’ve been looking around,” Kang Hun says hesitantly, “and we could source from China, like Sungmin’s family did.”

Hyukjae twists his hands nervously, stepping back to let his mother sit down on the couch. “My Mandarin is really bad… and my Cantonese is even worse. Zhou Mi still can’t stop laughing whenever he tries to teach me.”

“Continue with your studies and you will excel,” Kang Hun nods confidently, “you are young and have good diction. Think of it like learning spells.”

Hyukjae tilts his head thoughtfully, the new perspective igniting some excitement. Deok Bom smiles at the intelligence gleaming in his eyes. “Zhou Mi is a rather happy cat; I doubt he’s laughing at you. He probably finds you adorable.”

At once Hyukjae’s expression shifts from cognitive to horrified. “Cute? I’m not cute!

“Oh, I wouldn’t say that,” a smooth voice sounds from his feet. Hyukjae looks down to watch a delicate black cat curl around his leg. Yellow eyes glint up at him with amusement. “I think you’re adorable.”

“Boa,” Hyukjae groans embarrassedly, “you’re as bad as my sister.”

“I am your sister,” Boa chuckles, leaping up higher than a normal cat could to land on his shoulder. She curls her body around his neck and watches Kang Hun curiously. “So what’s the next option?

Kang Hun narrows his eyes at her while Hyukjae asks, “There’s another option?”

“There is,” Deok Bom admits, “one other option.” She glances at her husband and sighs. “I’ve been speaking to an old friend from New Zealand and she’s made a suggestion.”

Hyukjae joins his father on the three-seater couch and shrugs his shoulder to dislodge Boa. When she doesn’t budge, he gives up and turns to his mother. “Where’s New Zealand?”

Eager as ever to display his magical prowess, Kang Hun conjures a holographic sphere of the Earth. He spins it until Hyukjae can see Korea, and then brings it closer for him to observe curiously. “Do you see home?” Kang Hun asks.

Hyukjae nods and places his index finger over South Korea. Kang Hun takes his finger and lowers it past Japan, over the Philippines and through Australia. He finishes at the narrow strip of land to the right of Tasmania. “This is New Zealand.”

Hyukjae hums and leans forward to inspect it. “Green.”

“My friend has made a very generous offer, Hyukjae,” Deok Bom says. The serious tone to her voice has Hyukjae leaning away from the hologram and listening attentively. “She says she would be happy for her son to be your familiar.”

Hyukjae brightens instantly, a wide grin blooming across his face. Boa rubs her face against his affectionately. “Really?!”

“He’s not a cat, Hyukjae,” Kang Hun says gently as he lets the spinning globe vanish. “He wouldn’t be like your friends’ familiars.”

“He’s not a cat?” Hyukjae’s grin drops slightly as confusion sets in. “Only cats are familiars.”

“Here, at least,” Deok Bom corrects with a knowing smile, “the world doesn’t work in isolation; what’s normal here might not be somewhere else.”

“Oh yeah,” Hyukjae murmurs, the childish nature of his understanding prompting a smile from his parents. “So if he’s not a cat, what is he?”

Kang Hun looks sharply to his wife, shooting her a pleading expression. Deok Bom chuckles and nods, allowing him to answer. Kang Hun looks at both Hyukjae and Boa with barely concealed excitement. “Dragon.”

Boa slips off Hyukjae’s shoulders in surprise and tumbles into his lap. Hyukjae catches her subconsciously as he gapes. “A dragon. Seriously? Won’t he eat me?”

Taken by surprise, Kang Hun hides his laugh with a hasty cough. He keeps his fist over his mouth as his wife glares at him, blinking at her innocently. Deok Bom gives a subtle sigh and smiles reassuringly at her son. “They don’t eat humans, Hyukjae.”

“Unless you make them really angry,” Kang Hun adds unhelpfully. He jumps at the small jolt of electricity Deok Bom conjures behind his ear and rushes to amend his statement. “I’m joking! Of course, they won’t eat you regardless.”

Hyukjae doesn’t feel reassured in the slightest.

 

 

 

Sungmin, Kyuhyun and Jongwoon listen to Hyukjae recount his odd situation with the wide-eyed rapture eleven year olds often save for dessert, unexpected gifts and extra helpings at dinner. “Did you accept it?” Sungmin asks, ignoring the ball of yarn tossed at his back by one of the familiars.

Hyukjae watches Heechul glower at being ignored before Zhou Mi pounces on him, prompting Heechul to shift into cat form. If that’s what cats are like, what’s a dragon gonna be like? “I did,” he nods uneasily, feeling out of place as the only witch in the room without a familiar of his own. “He can’t come until December though.”

Leaning back against Jongwoon’s bed as two cats wrestle upon the sheets, Kyuhyun crosses his arms comfortably and raises an eyebrow. “Why so long? That’s ages away. Didn’t you already buy him?”

“Maybe he can’t afford him,” Ryeowook grins, rolling off the bed to make himself comfortable on the floor. He stretches lethargically and flops onto the carpet, feline ears popping out as Jongwoon habitually pets his head.

“It’s… more complicated than that,” Hyukjae sighs. “Dragons take way longer to train than cats, and need more supervision by other dragons. So he can’t stay over all the time and will have to constantly come back and forth.”

“That sounds annoying,” Sungmin scrunches his nose and jumps with surprise as Zhou Mi leaps into his lap, curling under his arms to escape Heechul’s reach. “When can you keep him?”

“I don’t think dragons are like cats,” Jongwoon says, his voice distant with thought. “They aren’t on the same hierar… level. That’s why they’re rarely ever familiars.”

“I bet he’ll have lots of stories to tell.” Wanting more attention, Ryeowook shifts into a fawn spotted white cat and climbs onto one of Jongwoon’s thighs. His tail swings contently as he continues, “My dad says dragons are more tight-knit with each other than anyone else. He might even be angry that you’re taking him away from his parents.”

Hyukjae groans loudly and falls back onto the floor. “Great. He’s gonna eat me.”

“He wouldn’t get the chance,” Heechul scoffs, “I’d rip his eyes out.” Hyukjae sits up to stare at him in shock, causing the fur on his neck to ruffle uncomfortably. “What?”

“You hate me!” Hyukjae points a finger at the cat accusingly. “Why would you defend me?!”

Heechul moves away from Zhou Mi and sits in front of Kyuhyun’s crossed legs, avoiding eye contact as his tail bristles with agitation. Kyuhyun rolls his eyes and says, “He doesn’t hate you, he’s just… uh…”

“He shows affection about as well as you do,” Zhou Mi snorts, amused golden eyes peering from beneath Sungmin’s arms. “As sweet as that is though, a dragon would probably roast you.”

Heechul considers this, peering down at the smooth grey fur slightly ruffled from the play fight. “You’re on your own, kid,” he says flatly.

Hyukjae flops back to the floor. “I have such great friends.”

“We’ll always be here to laugh at you,” Sungmin promises. “Pinky swear.” He holds out his hand and withdraws it laughing when Hyukjae moves to bite it.

 

 

 

Like most eleven year olds, Hyukjae wakes up on Christmas day with barely suppressed excitement. Unlike said eleven year olds, Hyukjae’s source of excitement is the fact he will be receiving a dragon.

His mother’s usual rule of eating breakfast before opening presents is ignored as he races for the rather extravagant tree Deok Bom had conjured. Kang Hun laughs at his expression and pushes a large gift towards him, its weight dragging on the carpet. “Go ahead and open it so he can breathe again,” he grins as Deok Bom shakes her head. Sora reclines on the sofa with Boa on her lap in human form, her head tucked into the crook of her neck as she watches Hyukjae curiously.

Can he breathe in that?” Boa asks as Hyukjae tears into the blue wrapping paper, her gold eyes narrowed with concern. “It doesn’t look comfortable.”

“His parents made it permeable to air,” Kang Hun shrugs, “they explained it but, you know. I prefer magic to chemistry.”

Hyukjae stares flatly at the orange contours revealed. “It’s a pumpkin.” He eyes the detailed engravings carved into its surface, recognising some of the shapes as spells but not understanding them as a whole. “Why a pumpkin?”

“That is a little… unexpected,” Deok Bom’s eyebrows furrow as she leaves the couch to crouch beside her son. Hyukjae waits for her to touch the massive pumpkin before doing the same, the warmth greeting his palm making him gasp with surprise.

Hyukjae waits for his mother to do something, but impatience takes the better of him when she merely stares at the carvings with fascination. He knocks on the thick flesh loudly, ignoring the shrieks of his name. “Hey! Are you in there? Are you okay?”

“This is such a breach of protocol,” Sora sighs, running her hands through Boa’s hair.

“There’s protocol for dragons?” Hyukjae asks, looking away from the silent pumpkin to raise an eyebrow. “And you know about them?”

“Well, I don’t know, but I doubt knocking on their container is a good idea,” she sniffs.

Hyukjae looks to his parents in confusion. “Do I break it?”

“No!” his parents yell in unison. “I’ll go call his mother,” Deok Bom rises and heads out of the room. “Don’t do anything!”

Hyukjae shrugs and leans against the pumpkin, curling into its warmth curiously. “Are you making it hot?” He asks, running his finger along one of the spells. The deep lines glow gold at the centre, illuminating the skin of his fingertips. He looks up to see Boa and Sora opening their own gifts, completely absorbed in their own world. A glance confirms Kang Hun to be frowning at his phone, scrolling furiously. Hyukjae sighs quietly and rests his face against the heated surface. “I’m Hyukjae.”

The pumpkin gives a sharp jerk and Hyukjae backs away, startled. The carvings flash brightly for a moment before dulling to a simmering bronze as the top of the pumpkin melts away, bubbling down the intact walls to flow into the centre. Hyukjae watches with his mouth wide open as a reptilian head pops up, wide blue eyes taking in the room with sharp turns of the head. Those intelligent eyes lock onto him, freezing him in place. The dragon’s silver scales glimmer as he straightens up, thick material loosening around his neck. The sight of blankets wrapped snugly around the dragon instantly calms Hyukjae, allowing his curiosity to overcome the bout of fear.

He crawls closer again and stares openly at the dragon. “Why the blankets?” he asks while Kang Hun calls for Deok Bom.

The silver dragon tilts his head and looks down, the blankets shifting as his tail moves. My mother said it would be cold. Hyukjae gasps loudly as the voice speaks right into his ear without the dragon’s mouth opening at all. He glances at his sister and sees her gaping at them both, Boa sniggering with amusement.

“Did you hear that?” he asks them.

Boa shakes her head while Sora quirks an eyebrow. “Hear what?”

Of course they didn’t, the dragon gives a strange sound that resembles a snort. Hyukjae is only slightly terrified to see a tendril of smoke curling from his nose. I’m talking to you, little witchy.

“Little witchy,” Hyukjae repeats slowly, offense scrunching up his nose. “Don’t call me that.”

Or what? The dragon leans out of the pumpkin, the blankets restraining him as he sniffs the air near Hyukjae’s face.

“Or, or I’ll pinch you,” Hyukjae says without thinking, almost immediately cringing in embarrassment.

Large blue eyes twinkle with delight at his choice of words. I’m terrified.

“Oh!” Deok Bom returns to the room with a portable phone held to her cheek. “He’s out!”

Hyukjae and the dragon face her curiously as she approaches with a broad smile lighting up her face. “Yes, he looks like he’s made it safely. Clean, bright eyes… yes, he’s already half out of the pumpkin.” She listens for a long moment and pulls the phone away from her ear. “Do you want to talk to her?”

The dragon rears up with excitement, startling Hyukjae enough to jump where he sits. Yes! Mother? Can you hear me? He prods the phone with his head, continuing to project his voice. Already getting used to it, Hyukjae watches as the dragon fidgets with energy as he attempts to make his voice present enough to make it through the phone. The shock on the rest of the family’s faces has Hyukjae muffling sniggers behind the sleeve of his jumper. You can’t hear me, he grumbles. The dragon’s body abruptly blends into white as his form changes shape, shifting into the body of a young boy. The boy grabs the phone before the white has faded, holding it to his ear as colour returns to his form. Hyukjae can’t help but stare with stunned eyes at the rather dramatic transformation, realising that the blankets were there for another reason. “Hi mother!” the boy chirps cheerfully, nearly wiggling with happiness when the woman on the line finally hears him. “Yes, I’m okay! The pumpkin was comfy and smelt good. No, I’m not dizzy. I think I did!” His head snaps towards Hyukjae, who is only just managing to wipe the astonishment from his face. “You’re Hyukjae, right?”

Hyukjae blinks at the warm brown eyes watching him earnestly, struggling to connect this bubbly boy with the silver dragon. “Yes?”

“I did!” he grins triumphantly into the phone, reaching up to loosen a blanket wrapped around his neck. “It looks really nice and fun and – wow it’s cold,” he says quickly, shivering and ducking back into the pumpkin for warmth. Hyukjae props himself onto his knees to see him again, a smile growing on his lips at the sight of him curled into blankets with a giddy smile.

“I’ll go get some more blankets,” Deok Bom smiles fondly at the boy and turns to leave. “Hyukjae, I’ll lend him your clothes okay?”

“Sure,” Hyukjae replies, pressing himself against the warm pumpkin and folding his arms on top of the rim. The boy glances up at him with a friendly smile, unconcerned with the proximity as he rattles on to his mother. Hyukjae laughs when a furry blanket is dumped on top of them both, adjusting it to fall into the pumpkin and bury the boy, who grins with contentment at the additional warmth. He finally hangs up and pulls on the blanket to hide half of his face. “What’s your name?” Hyukjae asks.

“Donghae!” the boy’s smile is evident in the curve of his eyes despite the concealment of his lips. “And you’re my little witchy.”

Hyukjae groans but struggles to hold back a grin. “I guess I am.”

“Boring,” Sora calls out, “can we open the rest of the presents now?”

“Presents!” Donghae beams, sitting up with a burst of energy before tucking himself in again as the cold hits.

Boa shifts into feline form and slinks over, hopping onto the rim of the pumpkin and eyeing Donghae curiously. “We don’t have any for you.”

“It’s okay,” Donghae shrugs, entirely undeterred. “We opened ours at home before I came. Time differences.”

“Actually,” Hyukjae murmurs, crawling the short distance to the tree to pick up a square package. “I got you one. I don’t know what you like though,” he rubs the back of his neck as he holds the present above the pumpkin.

Donghae takes it with wonder, rotating the gift curiously and sending Hyukjae a bashful yet grateful smile. “Thank you,” he says as he begins opening it carefully.

“Just tear into it,” Boa says impatiently, her tail curling behind her.

“Quickly!” Sora chimes in, “I wanna open mine too!”

Kang Hun leaves his armchair to select some presents, gathering them in his arms to pass them along to his wife and daughter. “Might as well all do it at the same time.”

Pulling away the metallic green wrapping paper, Donghae gasps as a delicate bookmark is revealed to be tucked against a paperback book. Sensing magic beating within it, he picks up the bookmark and inspects it. The thin rectangle is made of dark mahogany, an intricate design of flowers curling around a stalk crawling up its length. He runs his finger along it, the magic within beginning to glow blue with his touch. “It’s so pretty,” he whispers.

Hyukjae ducks his head to hide a pleased smile. “It’s an air freshener,” he mumbles, “I can’t do that many spells yet. If you activate it, it’ll make a smell that you like.”

Teeth displayed in a happy grin, Donghae brushes his thumb along the stalk and attempts to pour a small amount of magic into it. The flow grows rapidly, moving from a thin trickle to a thick rush of magic entering the bookmark. The design flashes blue before the pungent smell of chocolate fills the air, prompting Sora and Boa to cough in surprise. Donghae sniggers at their expressions, turning to face Hyukjae’s curious expression. “I like chocolate cake,” he shrugs by way of explanation. Glancing down, he flips the book and stares at it for less than a second before he drops everything in his hands, leaving his safe blanket haven to pounce on top of Hyukjae. “Lord of the Rings!” he shrieks, hugging the surprised witch with ecstatic joy. “You’re the best!”

“U-um,” Hyukjae stutters awkwardly, his hands hovering beside him as he recovers from the push to the floor. “You’re welcome?” Shy and embarrassed, he looks to his family and is relieved to see his mother occupied with a necklace in hand as she hugs his father; Sora and Boa are hovering over an obviously enchanted bracelet. The shivering against his skin brings his attention back to the cold boy on top of him. The uninterrupted expanse of tan colour brings him to a horrifying realisation. “You’re !” he nearly screams, immediately pushing the boy away.

Donghae shoots him a strange look, perplexed at his reaction. “Yeah? So?”

Hyukjae gapes at the response. “So?

Goosebumps rising along his skin, Donghae shivers again and quickly dives back into his nest of blankets. “I can’t conjure clothes yet,” he shrugs, as if his is completely normal. “No big deal. Cold though.”

“Oh my gosh,” Hyukjae covers his face with his hands while the girls laugh at him. “What kind of place do you live in.”

“A dragon community,” he replies with a frown, finding the mixed reactions of embarrassment and amusement very strange. “We don’t usually talk to those who aren’t dragons. Being isn’t a big deal, I mean when it gets hot then what’s the point in clothes?”

“Dragons are nudists,” Sora cackles, “okay, forget what I said about protocol, I’ve got no idea.”

“Does it bother you?” Donghae asks curiously, disappearing beneath the blankets before his head peeps over the pumpkin’s edge closest to Hyukjae. “I don’t wanna make you uncomfortable.”

“It’s fine,” Hyukjae says in a voice so high he barely recognises it as his own. “Please wear clothes though.”

Donghae nods despite the confusion furrowing his eyebrows. “Okay.”

 

 

 

After opening all of the presents and finally eating breakfast, Kang Hun and Deok Bom levitate the pumpkin to Hyukjae’s room. He follows with a smile at the sight of Donghae’s head peeking out over the rim, wide eyes looking around curiously. “Your house is really pretty,” he says politely.

Deok Bom smiles warmly at the compliment. “We’re happy to have you here, Donghae.”

“I’m sorry I can’t stay for long,” his lower lip juts out into an apologetic pout that has Hyukjae muffling a snigger. “My mother says I have to do most of my training with them at home.”

“Perfectly understandable,” Kang Hun nods in approval. “Education comes first, of course. We’ll be training Hyukjae up too so he should be stronger each time you return.”

Hyukjae can’t help the somewhat goofy grin as Donghae looks back at him, his head swaying with the movement of the pumpkin. “I’ll try to get those heat spells down first.”

Donghae gives a matching smile, his lips parting boyishly. “Me too. I’m freezing.”

“Is it hot where you’re from?” Hyukjae asks as the pumpkin is set down in his room, right next to his bed. “Since you’re so cold.”

“It’s summer right now,” Donghae shrugs while the adults leave the room. He snuggles deeper into the blankets until half of his face peeks out. “I’m used to 35 to 40 degree weather at the moment.”

Hyukjae’s jaw drops. “Summer? 40? Where the hell do you live?”

“My clan’s mountains in New Zealand,” Donghae says, eyeing Hyukjae strangely for his exaggerated shock. “It doesn’t usually get that hot but some of the elder dragons like it warm, so they heat our town with magic.” He grins cheekily and attempts to wink, failing as his face scrunches up and both eyes close. “Don’t tell the humans.”

Hyukjae shakes his head in disbelief. “Weird.” Noting how cold the boy still looks, he points at the thick jumper and warm trousers neatly folded over the pile of blankets. “Shouldn’t you get dressed?”

“Oh,” Donghae’s eyes brighten at the thought, “that’d help.” He promptly sits up and grabs the jumper, yanking it over his head quickly and beginning to stand up. “Do you have any underwear I could borrow?”

Face rapidly turning crimson, Hyukjae looks away and heads for his drawers. “Do you have to get dressed in front of me?” He turns around and freezes at the sight of Donghae standing up, upper half dressed but lower half exposed above his knees. “Seriously?!” he shrieks, bunching up the briefs and throwing them before whipping around.

“Don’t look then,” Donghae sniggers.

Hyukjae begins to think that having a dragon familiar will be worse than a cat. Much, much worse and far more embarrassing.

 

 

 

 

By his twelfth birthday, Hyukjae is a little more used to the fact that Donghae can’t live with him as almost all other familiars do. Donghae stays over for a week during each of the shared holidays, and visits for a day or two every second week or so. Although he understands that learning must come first, Hyukjae can’t help but feel a little lonely.

Sitting on the couch while his friends and their familiars lounge around with their game consoles, he traces the communication amulet dejectedly.

Always the more caring one of the group, Zhou Mi jumps onto the couch in his feline form and pads over to Hyukjae. “I can play with you, if you like,” he offers, tail swaying comfortably behind him.

Hyukjae releases the amulet and lets it drop to his chest, the weight giving a dull thump against his shirt. “Thanks, Zhou Mi, but I’m okay,” he stretches his arms above his head and sighs. “Donghae’s end is closed so he must be busy.”

“ for you,” Kyuhyun and Heechul say as one, both occupied with controlling their game characters. The synchronicity between the witch and familiar even in something so inconsequential has Hyukjae sighing quietly, his fingers drumming impatiently along his thigh.

Zhou Mi’s golden eyes glow with understanding as he watches Hyukjae try not to mope too obviously. Giving a quick glance to Sungmin, he gives a short jump onto Hyukjae’s shoulders and curls around his neck. “He’ll be strong enough to stay for longer eventually,” he says confidently, “or become more adept at teleporting.”

“He can teleport for shorter distances,” Hyukjae says thoughtfully, “his record’s about 30km so far.”

Ryeowook looks over to him in surprise, green eyes a stark contrast to the white fur of his face. “That’s really good! He’s still quite young so that’s impressive.”

“He’s as old as the rest of us are,” Jongwoon snorts distractedly, attempting to keep pace with Kyuhyun and Heechul in the game. “Some of us just speak better.”

“Some of us actually open a book once in a while,” Ryeowook drawls, his attempt to roll his eyes barely noticed due to his large irises. Hyukjae smiles as they begin to argue, the familiarity pushing loneliness to the boundary of his mind.

 

 

 

 

And then I summoned a fireball the size of a tennis ball! Donghae’s excited voice nearly makes the amulet vibrate from his enthusiasm.

“Sure you did,” Hyukjae scoffs his disbelief, though his broad grin betrays his amusement. “Now tell me how much smaller it really was.”

Hyukjae–e, he whines. Hyukjae can imagine him lying on his bed like he himself is, legs flailing with displeasure at being called out. It was really that big! Okay, a little smaller, but bigger than a golf ball! I think, anyway – perspective is different in dragon form and I don’t exactly go playing with toys then. I’d tear them apart!

Hyukjae recalls the many ripped clothes and toys Donghae had indeed left over the two years they’d known each other and sighs. “True. Are you much more successful with other spells?” he asks, attempting to sound nonchalant.

Even without any visual, Donghae catches on right away. My teleporting’s getting way better! You already know I can get anywhere in Australia and Malaysia. I’m working on the Philippines at the moment and I think I’ll get it soon! I bet I’ll be popping in on you by myself in no time!

 The clear enthusiasm has anticipation churning a loop into Hyukjae’s stomach. “That’d be good,” he grins, “but make sure you dress appropriately, okay? If you show up in the middle of winter wearing a T-shirt and shorts again.”

I won’t, Donghae sings, my father tells me I should always check the weather report before teleporting.

“And do you?” Hyukjae asks pointedly, already knowing the answer.

…well, no. But I will! Donghae says with determination. Hyukjae snorts with laughter and rolls onto his back, staring up at the darkening ceiling as Donghae begins swearing up and down that he’ll stop arriving so unprepared for the weather differences.

 

 

 

 

By fourteen, Hyukjae has become much more adept at weather and temperature spells. Now he simply chooses not to use them.

“Hyukjae,” Donghae whines, tugging on the back of Hyukjae’s chair and entirely unconcerned that he’s interrupting the class. “I’m cold.”

Hyukjae tries to ignore the stares from his classmates and their familiars. He mouths ‘sorry’ to the teacher, who nods understandingly and continues writing up notes on the board. “Donghae,” Hyukjae whispers, “it’s November. You know our seasons are opposite – why are you in shorts and a tank?”

“I forgot,” Donghae whispers back, finally realising his witch wants to avoid the centre of attention. He sits on the floor beside him, latching onto his leg for warmth. “But I can teleport here by myself!”

“At least you didn’t end up in Japan again,” Hyukjae sighs, finally extending his hand and channelling his magic. He murmurs a spell for moderate temperatures and feels the air around him warm instantly; he directs it to surround Donghae in a shroud of heat.

Donghae sighs in appreciation and relaxes, resting his face against the denim over Hyukjae’s thigh. “Sorry for barging in on your class,” he says to the teacher.

Yunho finishes writing his sentence before turning back to smile. “It’s okay. Teleporting from so far away was quite a fine example. I’m sure the rest of you,” he raises his voice pointedly, simultaneously amused and exasperated as the students suddenly find their desks very interesting. “Will be inspired to work harder to get your skills up to such a high level.”

Hyukjae hides a smile behind his hand as the class groans. “Proud of yourself?” he murmurs, his grin widening when smug eyes meet his.

“Very,” Donghae smiles cheekily.

“I’d be prouder if you remembered to dress for the weather,” Hyukjae rolls his eyes and resumes taking notes.

“Details,” Donghae snorts softly. “What’s your mother doing for dinner tonight?”

Hyukjae shrugs. “Japchae? Why? You gonna start coming over just for food you like?”

Donghae smirks victoriously. “Oh yes.”

 

 

 

With the day off for Easter, Hyukjae spends his time eating chocolate and running away from Sora. He ends up hiding in one of the larger trees outside, sitting high in the branches and stuffing his face with a chocolate bar. He turns the page of his novel contently, secure in the knowledge that even if Sora did find him she wouldn’t attempt climbing up.

“Hyukjae!” a scream comes from inside the house.

“Donghae?” the witch murmurs, lowering his book and frowning. The sound of his sister’s cackling quells his worry about a break in and he turns back to his book, getting comfortable again. “I’m sorry but I’ll have to sacrifice you this time.”

He makes it a solid five chapters further into the book by the time he hears scuffling at the base of the tree. He peers down and isn’t surprised to see a glint of silver shimmering in the sun. Marking his page and tugging his thin sweater down over his hands, he waits for Donghae to climb his way up.

“Why are you in dragon form?” he asks curiously. “And so small?”

I can control my size now, Donghae grumbles, digging his ivory claws deep into the bark. If I was my true size I’d crush the tree.

Hyukjae watches him reduce his size even further to that of a cat and clamber onto his lap. A small smile tugs at his lips as the little dragon circles around and settles into a coil. He reaches out to his back gently, avoiding the wings and enjoying the smoothness of the scales. “Why dragon form though?” Reluctant to answer, Donghae tucks his narrow head between Hyukjae’s knees. “Come on,” Hyukjae goads, sliding his hand up to rub behind the deer-like ears. “Tell me.”

Donghae’s tail shifts to wrap loosely around the wrist holding the book and chocolate secure. Let’s just say Sora’s got that colour changing spell down.

Hyukjae snorts with amusement. “She changed your hair colour?”

She changed my hair colour, Donghae’s voice is quiet and tinged with embarrassment. Boa changed my skin colour.

“I’ve gotta see this,” Hyukjae chuckles. He grins at the blue eyes crackling with warning. “Oh come on! I wanna see.”

No, Donghae barks, his wings expanding threateningly. Hyukjae might have been more frightened if Donghae weren’t so tiny on his lap.

“I order you,” Hyukjae says cockily, half joking and half wanting to see how Donghae would react.

The silver dragon hisses and rises, turning around and broadening his wings to their full wingspan. Even in such a small form, his wings reach a metre each side. You do not own me, Donghae roars furiously, startling nearby birds into taking flight. We are equals!

Heart pounding hard in his chest though not from fear, Hyukjae finds his respect for his familiar growing even more. “I know,” he says quietly, maintaining eye contact despite his father’s previous warnings. “You could kick my without even trying.”

Fury simmering in his eyes, Donghae keeps enough focus to avoid hurting Hyukjae with his claws. Apologise.

“I’m sorry,” he says honestly, “that wasn’t funny and I shouldn’t have said it.”

Better, Donghae growls, lowering his wings and sitting up. Now feed me chocolate, peasant.

“We both know who’s in charge here,” Hyukjae snorts, breaking off a piece and holding it out.

Yeah, Donghae’s voice is clear despite being occupied with clasping the chocolate between sharp teeth, it furiously. Both of us.

Hyukjae’s laughter slowly grows the longer Donghae attempts to eat the chocolate, watching it inevitably melt and cover his silver snout. “Just go human form,” he cackles, “for the sake of the chocolate.”

Concern for the chocolate winning out over embarrassment, Donghae promptly shifts into human form. Hyukjae’s eyes widen in shock – though the had been expected by now, the blue hair and silver skin was not. Chocolate still smeared over his face, Donghae finishes the piece and reaches for the block to take more. “This is good chocolate,” he says with his mouth full. He slowly frowns, unconcerned with Hyukjae gaping at him. “Cold,” he hisses, “Hyukjae, make it warm.”

“What was that about giving orders,” Hyukjae manages to snark despite being stunned. “Your colours…”

Donghae ducks his head, sapphire hair falling forward to hide his face. “Weird, right?”

“It’s pretty,” Hyukjae admits, pausing to give a mild heating spell. “Aren’t our temperatures kinda similar right now?”

“Yeah,” Donghae snorts, “when I’m not .”

“You can teleport from New Zealand to South Korea without assistance but you can’t conjure clothes,” Hyukjae says flatly.

“Exactly!” Donghae beams, chocolate staining his silver lips and nose. Hyukjae snorts and shakes his head, taking some of the chocolate for himself.

 

 

 

 

“Happy Valentine’s – why is it so ing cold?!” Donghae shrieks.

In the midst of his homework, Hyukjae finishes his sentence and turns around. He looks his familiar up and down from his tank top to his shorts and thongs and sighs. “Check. The. Weather. It’s still winter.”

“No ,” Donghae shivers, hugging at his arms. “Lemme try something,” his eyes narrow as he tosses his backpack to the side and claps his hands, rubbing them together and channelling magic into heat. He smirks victoriously when fire bursts between his palms, orange flames flickering with white and not burning his skin in the slightest. “Cake.”

“Can’t just conjure some winter clothes, can you,” Hyukjae sighs, keeping an eye on the size of the flame. “I’ve had to start taking extra classes because of you.”

“Have you been busy?” Donghae frowns, shifting the fire to one hand so he can rummage through his backpack.

“Sometimes it’s a little much,” Hyukjae admits, spinning around in his chair. “Had to miss Sungmin’s 16th to finish the homework.”

“That ,” Donghae winces in sympathy. “You’ll get even stronger though!”

“More like better able to housetrain you,” Hyukjae smirks, reaching out to stop the flame from growing while Donghae is distracted. “Seriously, next time you’re gonna come, call me first so I can tell you the temp.”

Donghae snickers and stands up with a wrapped box, ensuring it’s secure in his arm before walking over to the desk Hyukjae’s working at. “Will do. Now, like I said before, happy Valentine’s Day!”

“Why?” Hyukjae frowns, clapping his hand against Donghae’s to put out the flame before casting the much-used warmth spell. “We’re not dating.”

“Yet,” Donghae grins confidently, dumping the present on top of Hyukjae’s homework. “We’ll get the all clear when you’re 16.”

“Who said I want to date you, you overgrown baby,” Hyukjae grumbles, spinning his chair to face the opposite direction.

Donghae chuckles and leans over the back of the chair to drape his arms around Hyukjae’s neck. “I said so,” he declares, “plus I can smell you like me, don’t even lie.”

Hyukjae splutters and attempts to spin back around, but is stopped by Donghae holding him in place. “Since when?!”

“Since always,” Donghae snorts, “I’m a dragon, you idiot. Now open your present.”

Cheeks warming steadily, Hyukjae gives up and lets Donghae shift the chair back to the desk. He tears into it, sensing Donghae’s excitement in the tightening of his arms. He opens the box and finds an assortment of chocolates covering a box set of the Lord of the Rings movies. “…are you sure this isn’t just for you?” he asks bluntly. Donghae’s self-satisfied snicker is enough of an answer. “After my homework,” he sighs loudly.

Donghae cheers loudly and lifts him out of his chair for a hug. “Work well, Hyukjae!” he squeezes him and releases him before Hyukjae can get a chance to return the embrace. “I’m gonna go bother Boa,” he grins cheekily and dashes off. Hyukjae stands in his now empty room, feeling like a tornado had just been through it.

“Donghae!” Boa’s voice yells almost immediately. “Put some clothes on!”

“You call this ?” Donghae retorts. Hyukjae shakes his head and drops onto his chair, blocking out the loud greetings to focus on getting his essay finished.

 

 

 

 

The night before Halloween, Hyukjae drops onto his bed and groans in exhaustion. “School on my 17th birthday,” he mutters, “so cruel.”

“Hyukjae!” Sora raps on his bedroom door and pokes her head inside. “Still want bulgogi for dinner?”

“Jajangmyeon,” he moans, “to match my misery.”

“You whiny baby,” Sora rolls her eyes. “Is Donghae coming for dinner?”

“He’s busy having an awesome time flying and doing more fancy dragon magic,” he grumbles into his pillow.

“Some bread with that whine?” Sora raises an eyebrow and steps into the room, dropping onto the bed beside him. “What’s up?”

“It’s cheese,” Hyukjae sighs and stares gloomily at the slightly burnt walls. “He’s been really busy this year.”

“It is his final year,” Sora says pointedly and, after some hesitation, rubs his shoulder. “Yours too. It’s been hectic.”

“He doesn’t visit nearly as often as he used to,” he murmurs, picking at the bed sheet. “He’s the one who said we should start dating but then only shows up once in a few weeks.”

“Travelling here takes a lot of magic, Hyuk,” she flicks at his temple as gently as she can manage, but her brother still winces. “He has to save it for lessons and exams. He still contacts you through amulet, right?”

Hyukjae nods as Sora resumes rubbing his arm comfortingly. “We talk almost every day. He was really grumpy we couldn’t see each other on his birthday.”

“See? He’s not avoiding you or anything, it’s just practical.” Hyukjae groans and she laughs, “come on, you like practical!”

“Practical ,” Hyukjae mumbles.

“Oh stop pouting,” Sora snorts, “you’re getting good food tonight and you got awesome presents today. That counts for something, right?”

“Yes,” Hyukjae gives a long suffering sigh and sits up. “I’ll take pictures of it and taunt Donghae with them.”

“That’s the spirit,” Sora grins approvingly, “finally showing some family resemblance.”

 

 

 

After posting the pictures to his Instagram, Hyukjae bids his parents goodnight and changes into his pyjamas. Just as he’s gotten comfortable, a heavy weight drops right on top of him. “Oof,” he grunts, immediately pushing the body away. “What the .”

“Where’s the food?” Donghae asks, his teeth glinting even in the darkness. A snap sounds near Hyukjae’s ear and light erupts from behind his head, revealing Donghae’s cheeky grin. “Hi.”

“Hi,” Hyukjae says almost disbelievingly. “I haven’t seen you in five weeks.”

“Exams,” Donghae sighs loudly, sitting up and bringing Hyukjae with him. Hyukjae realises the white light is coming from Donghae’s palm. “It’s just exams, exams, exams.” His belly making an audible rumble, Donghae places a hand over his abdomen and grimaces. “Hungry. I saw the pictures.”

“You just came for the food, didn’t you,” Hyukjae grins, already in a brighter mood.

“For you, of course,” Donghae smiles, pecking his cheek sweetly. He lingers close and lifts his illuminating hand to enjoy the shy expression before getting off the bed and heading for the door. “But first, food!”

Hyukjae shakes his head and pushes himself off the mattress to follow him. “Unbelievable.” His light source rapidly fading, he hurries out of his room and down the corridor to the kitchen. By the time he gets there he finds Donghae has already gotten to the fridge and helped himself to some jajangmyeon. He shakes his head again and smiles fondly while he joins him sitting on the kitchen bench, feeling sneaky since Donghae had made his right foot glow instead of turning on a light. “Did you microwave it?”

Donghae hums negatively and chews through his large mouthful. “Didn’t wanna wake anyone up.”

Hyukjae frowns and reaches out for the bowl, feeling its cool surface against his fingertips. “Why didn’t you heat it?”

Donghae pulls a face, the sight made even more comical with his mouth stuffed with black noodles. “Have to conserve magic.”

Feeling touched at the implication Donghae had used magic he wasn’t supposed to in order to visit him, Hyukjae murmurs a concentrated heating spell to evenly warm the noodles. Donghae gives him an appreciative grin and continues to eat with vigour. “At least it’s warmer here,” Hyukjae grins, “though your trackies are a little unnecessary.”

“It’s a little too warm,” Donghae narrows his eyes. His eyes twinkle as a thought crosses his mind and he waggles his eyebrows suggestively. “I may have to take them off.”

“You say it like you don’t go around at the nearest opportunity,” Hyukjae rolls his eyes.

“Very true,” Donghae grins, displaying blackened teeth before he finishes off his bowl. “You like me showing off my hot bod.”

“Please never say that again,” Hyukjae says flatly, screwing up his nose with disgust. He slaps his hand over Donghae's cheek when his laugh is too loud. “Done?” Pursing his lips together, Donghae nods with wide eyes. “Go brush your teeth then,” he sighs, pleased that Donghae washes his bowl and chopsticks first before heading off to the bathroom.

Hyukjae returns to his bedroom and dives beneath the thin covers, keeping to one side of the bed. He glances at the clock and confirms that he has half an hour left of his birthday. He hears Donghae walk quietly into the room and shut the door. There are rustles before the bed dips behind him as Donghae crawls beneath the duvet, cuddling up to his back. Hyukjae is entirely unsurprised at the bare leg brushing against his own. “I like having a toothbrush here,” Donghae murmurs.

Hyukjae laughs quietly, closing his eyes as Donghae’s body presses up against his own and arms wrap around his torso. “It is your second home.” He relaxes as soft kisses begin along his neck.

“It is,” Donghae agrees with a smile, his voice slightly husky beneath Hyukjae’s ear. “Happy birthday, by the way,” he mutters before taking an earlobe into his mouth, on it languidly.

“Thanks,” Hyukjae says slightly breathlessly, his heart rate picking up as the hand tucked against his body begins rubbing slow circles against his chest. Though eager to touch his boyfriend, he decides to bask in the attention and see where things go.

Donghae lowers his lips to graze along the gentle slope of his neck, gently on the smooth skin while he runs his hand over Hyukjae’s clothed abdomen. The soft hum of satisfaction vibrates along Donghae’s lips, encouraging him to draw the flesh deeper into his mouth. He traps it lightly with his teeth and gives a stronger whilst his hand dips below the thin material of Hyukjae’s shirt. He runs his fingers over the strong abdomen, enjoying the slight goosebumps that erupt beneath his fingertips. He releases the skin with a soft pop, eyeing the faint glimmer left on his neck and wishing they could use some stronger light than the stars outside. “I missed you,” he sighs, gliding his hand further up Hyukjae’s body to massage his chest.

“I missed you too,” Hyukjae says softly as hot, ling kisses trail along his neck again. His eyes flutter open when the roaming hand bunches up his pyjama shirt to rub against his . He presses his head into the pillow to give Donghae more room to work with, very much enjoying the contact. “Weren’t you supposed to kiss me first?” he asks with a cheeky grin. Donghae huffs a laugh against his neck, warming his skin with his breath. He turns his head to meet smiling lips, pausing to let the moment linger before Donghae presses him into the mattress with a deep kiss.

Satisfied to finally have Hyukjae’s hands running along his back, Donghae tilts his head and dips his tongue through parted lips. He curls his tongue around the curious one meeting his own, allowing his lips to pulse rhythmically against the plumper ones. He shifts to slot his body between Hyukjae’s legs, rocking against him gently while Hyukjae on his tongue. Donghae gives Hyukjae’s swelling lower lip a gentle nip and pulls back, his hands greedily exploring the lithe torso beneath him. His eyes dart to the clock, a challenging smirk pulling at his lips at the sight of the glowing numbers 11:50. Aware of his boyfriend’s shyness, he ducks down to whisper into his ear, “Only ten minutes left to have you come on your birthday.” He enjoys the shiver Hyukjae gives at his words, drinking in the soft bite of fingernails digging into his . “I think a birthday is in order.”

“Stop saying birthday and get on with it then,” Hyukjae murmurs, the snark lost in his dark tone. Recognising the desire in it, Donghae grins cheekily and moves down his body.

 

 

 

 

The following June kicks off with the monsoon season. Having finished his final year but forbidden from moving to New Zealand until he’s 18, Hyukjae spends his year continuing his studies under one of the only other witches with a dragon familiar. Daesung is a kind yet strict instructor, always up for a joke but expecting absolute commitment from Hyukjae with any activity. The dragon Taeyang is much more laidback, happy to see where the wind takes him and allow Hyukjae to grow at his own pace.

At the tail end of the monsoon season, Daesung decides having Hyukjae strengthen his elemental magic by staying in a cabin in the mountains would be a splendid idea. This is how Hyukjae finds himself sitting alone in a two by three metre wooden shack, alone and trapped inside with unpleasantly humid air while rain pelts down outside.

Resisting the urge to sigh in fear of heating the air even more, he strips of his tank top and lies along the wooden floor. “This ,” he says to the amulet. “It’s boring and muggy and hot and ugh.”

Is it really that bad? Donghae asks, sounding amused and happy to not be facing Hyukjae’s miserable situation.

“Yes,” Hyukjae grunts, wishing some wind would blow through the window. “Daesung said that to get in touch with nature, I have to let myself experience it without magical manipulation.”

He’s the one who’s not dating his dragon, right?

“Yup,” Hyukjae confirms. “Totally platonic.”

Weird.

“Says you,” he snorts, “the one whose is never calm.”

A faint snap sounds as Donghae materialises into the cabin. “Only for you,” he pokes his tongue out. It takes a second for the climate change to hit him. “Oh my god it’s so hot,” he groans, quickly pulling off his thick jacket.

“I told you it was hot,” Hyukjae rolls his eyes in exasperation, “and you still come in that,” he eyes Donghae’s winter gear with great disdain.

“I thought you were exaggerating,” Donghae mumbles, attempting to remove his jumper as quickly as possible. “Oh, this ,” he frowns, snapping his fingers to teleport all of his clothes back home. “There.”

“I swear, I’ve seen you more times than I’ve seen you dressed,” Hyukjae laughs, shaking his head and stretching out against the warm floor. He tries to ignore the easy slide his sweaty skin gives him against the wooden floor.

“Not a bad thing,” Donghae waggles his eyebrows suggestively, making a show of checking out Hyukjae’s glistening torso. Hyukjae rolls his eyes again but doesn’t attempt to make him stop. Donghae lies down on his belly next to him, wanting closer contact but wary of Hyukjae’s un-manipulated temperature. “How’s training going?”

“Other than this part, it’s okay,” Hyukjae admits, “still kinda weird to be told about complimenting my magic with yours when you’re not around for long enough, but I’ve learnt a lot.”

“I come when I can,” he replies easily, grinning at the swat to his head. “We just can’t practise the big stuff because I can’t afford to use up too much magic. Gotta be able to get back home.”

“I know,” Hyukjae says with long-learned patience. He reaches out to his thumb against Donghae’s cheekbone affectionately, trying to ignore the humid air weighing him down. “We’re still stronger than the guys and their cats,” he says smugly.

Donghae gives a victorious smirk, brown eyes flashing blue with competitiveness. “Just wait until we can spend more than a week together, we’ll crush them.”

“Easy there, they’re still my friends,” Hyukjae grins.

“I know,” Donghae adjusts his position to move his head closer to Hyukjae without bringing their bodies in closer proximity. “I bet they’ll be jealous of our power.”

“You know, I used to be jealous of them,” Hyukjae looks away from Donghae’s curious gaze to stare at the dripping ceiling. “They live with their familiars and can be together whenever they want.” He feels a warm hand caress his cheek and senses the warmth of an arm against his chin.

Hyukjae looks back to Donghae and smiles at the gentle sadness in his eyes. “Soon,” Donghae promises, “you’ll be staying with me for a year and you’ll get sick of me in no time.”

“I doubt that,” Hyukjae chuckles, placing his hand over Donghae’s despite the heat. “You sure you want to touch me? I’m sweaty.”

“It looks y,” Donghae grins boyishly, the sadness in his eyes replaced by glints of amusement.

Hyukjae snorts and pushes his hand away from his face. “Gross.”

“It does!” Donghae protests. “You’re losing quite a bit of water though. Do you have water here?”

“Drink bottle,” Hyukjae nods towards the far corner of the cabin. He smiles as Donghae immediately gets up to retrieve it. “I’m supposed to do this on my own, you know,” he says as he accepts the bottle.

“And we’re meant to be a team,” Donghae counters. “We take care of each other.”

“That we do,” Hyukjae smiles fondly, passing the bottle to Donghae to drink from. “Partners.”

 

 

 

 

Even after he becomes an adult by international standards, it isn’t until April when he leaves for New Zealand. With the importance of customs documentation pointed out by Kang Hun, he travels by aeroplane and arrives in Auckland after a switch of planes. His worries of wondering the airport alone are abated when Donghae immediately tracks him, jumping onto him from behind and latching on with an excited shout of his name. “Found you!” he grins broadly.

Sensing some strange looks from other people nearby, Hyukjae hooks one arm over Donghae’s shoulders and heads off in what he hopes is the right direction, dragging his suitcase behind him while Donghae wheels his smaller carry-on bag. “You found me pretty quickly,” Hyukjae says, a tinge of pride in his voice.

“I know your scent,” Donghae keeps his volume low but stands straighter at the compliment. “My father said he’d get to you first but, yeah right,” he snorts. “By the way, we’re going in the wrong direction.” His grin broadens as Hyukjae groans. He makes a sharp turn to the left and leads them outside.

“Where’s your dad?” Hyukjae asks, looking around curiously.

“Off losing our bet,” Donghae smirks with satisfaction, peering into the busy crowds surrounding them as they walk. “Hang on.” His eyes dim as he directs his attention inwards, trusting Hyukjae to prevent him from walking into anything. His display of magic complete, he returns to the present and walks with more energy in his step. “Done! He’s heading over now.”

“What’d you do?” Hyukjae frowns suspiciously, the smugness in Donghae’s smile almost making him uneasy.

“I,” he replies with a richness in his tone brought by self-satisfaction, “can use telepathy now.”

“Show off,” Hyukjae grumbles, swatting at the boasting boy’s shoulder before catching a glimpse of Donghae’s father’s amused eyes a few metres away. “Oh, your dad.” He waves with a smile, pleased the crowd of humans takes precedence over dragon protocol. “Hi Seung Yeon,” he greets when the man joins them.

“Hello Hyukjae,” Seung Yeon smiles warmly, walking straight in front of his son to envelop Hyukjae into a hug. “The stars favour you tonight,” he murmurs quietly, the formal edge to his words reminding Hyukjae of just how much Seung Yeon values customs.

“I thank you,” he says softly, “may the earth support your home and family with the durability of stone.”

“Earth, huh?” Seung Yeon gives him a squeeze and releases him, clapping him on the shoulder with mirth curving his eyes. “You’re Kang Hun’s son alright.”

“Father, people are staring,” Donghae whispers, prompting them to resume walking again.

“Thought you didn’t care about what people think, Draco,” Hyukjae snickers and nudges at Donghae’s arm.

“I care when we don’t need attention brought to us,” Donghae rolls his eyes. “Took me long enough to convince the clan it’d be fine for me to travel unaccompanied. I don’t need to be grounded again. Literally.”

“A dragon who cannot fly is a dragon barred from experience and learning,” Seung Yeon says gravely. “Donghae, be careful. Clipped wings are not enjoyable.”

“Yes, father,” Donghae replies, barely keeping the sullen tone out of his voice. “Hyukjae, you’re not even here for ten minutes and I’m already being scolded in front of you.”

“It hardly makes a change,” Hyukjae says honestly, ducking the swat aimed at his head. “What? It’s true!”

Seung Yeon looks back over his shoulder as they enter the car park building and smiles at the relaxed atmosphere between his son and family friend. He watches Hyukjae begin poking at Donghae to distract him from sulking, the fond smile broadening his lips as Donghae begins to relent and poke him back. “Hyukjae,” he calls, his calm voice silently informing them they can remain at ease.

“Yes, Seung Yeon?” Hyukjae asks curiously, only recognising the car when Donghae runs ahead to it.

“You may call me father,” Seung Yeon says warmly, finding the instant reddening to Hyukjae’s face and ears endearing.

Understanding the weight of responsibility and acceptance behind the words, Hyukjae bows despite the few people scattered throughout the car park level. “Thank you for such an honour,” he manages to say, aware his wording is off but too stunned to think it through.

“Thank you for taking care of my son,” he replies, his tone casual and welcoming. “I trust you to take care of him in the future, as he will of you.”

“I will,” Hyukjae considers bowing again but steps forward to embrace him instead. “I promise.”

“Stop being gross and come to the car already!” Donghae yells from beside the open boot, “I wanna show Hyukjae around!”

“I think you will need luck,” Seung Yeon jests, releasing Hyukjae and taking his suitcase.

“I think I’ll be fine,” Hyukjae smiles, glancing at Donghae and raising his voice, “even though he’s a big baby!”

“Am not!” Donghae sticks his tongue out as a retort, grabbing Hyukjae and pushing him to the front passenger seat. “You sit here; my father’s not a taxi driver.”

 

 

 


Hyukjae’s eyes remain glued to the landscape as they ascend the mountains, admiring the vivid greens and oranges stretching around them. He senses the dragon magic lingering in the air, its wildness strengthening as they approach the town. “I think I can see it,” Hyukjae murmurs, squinting up at the yellow stone structures above them and protruding from the ragged mountain surfaces.

“That’s the start of it,” Seung Yeon confirms, glancing up and returning his attention to the thin dirt road. “We should probably go over the ground rules now.”

“Rules,” Donghae groans miserably from the back, earning a laugh from Hyukjae. “What are they this time? No touching him, right?”

Hyukjae glances at Donghae through the rear view mirror curiously as Seung Yeon hums in agreement. “Although the young ones are rather… progressive,” he speaks slowly, putting thought into his wording. “The majority of our clan are not fond of anything outside tradition. Your magic will fascinate them, but do not seek to be more powerful than them because they will not take it kindly.”

Sensing that Seung Yeon is avoiding the point, Hyukjae asks, “What was that about not touching though? Donghae’s all over everybody.”

“In your home, he is,” Seung Yeon says with a mixture of affection and disappointment in his voice. “Here, it is more strict. Dragons acting as familiars are rare. Most cases have been between men and women, and they are expected to wed. Men with dragon men, women with dragon women… is not allowed.”

A familiar pang strikes his chest and makes his eyes water. Hyukjae takes a moment to compose himself and sighs. “So they don’t know about us here either?”

“Not at all,” Donghae grumbles, clearly past the sorrow and firmly tuned towards anger and frustration. “Mother and Donghwa know, but that’s it. Nobody else can know.”

Minutes pass by slowly, weighed down by silence as Hyukjae processes the situation. “Is there a way for them to tell even if we don’t want them to? By smell or telepathy or something?”

“As a familiar-witch pair, Donghae lends you protection,” Seung Yeon says, mild relief relaxing his grip on the wheel. “He is strong. Others cannot access your thoughts without forcing themselves in – and if they did you could definitely know about it.”

“I wouldn’t let them,” Donghae’s growl vibrates the car door Hyukjae’s leaning against. “They can’t.” The protective grip in his voice the cold uncertainty churning in Hyukjae’s stomach giving way to hot determination. “A move against you is a move against me. They wouldn’t.”

“So we hope,” Seung Yeon says solemnly. “It would not be a wise more on their behalf anyway. You should be fine, Hyukjae.”

“I can hold my own,” Hyukjae says smoothly, “and I know it’s not exactly the same because we have different social structures, but Donghae, if anything happens to you, I’m there.”

“And it’s that attitude that makes me proud to call you my son,” Seung Yeon says with satisfaction.

Shy yet flattered, Hyukjae smiles while Donghae cheers, “You can’t call me Draco anymore!”

Hyukjae turns in his seat to shoot Donghae a cheeky grin. “We’ll see about that.”

“You mentioned the situation here being similar to your home,” Seung Yeon says carefully. “In what way?”

Understanding what he’s getting at, Hyukjae faces forward again and glares at the road. “Liking the same gender’s not exactly welcome. I mean, my parents kind of saw it coming–”

“–I sensed they could tell so I didn’t try hiding,” Donghae says quickly before Seung Yeon can question him.

“It’s not his fault,” Hyukjae agrees, “I told my mother when we were about fifteen. She was surprised and took a bit to get used to it but she’s fine with it now, Dad too.”

“You’re not in trouble,” Seung Yeon says, sensing their growing distress. “Having to hide in your own home isn’t what I want for you, and I’m sure it isn’t what Kang Hun and Deok Bom wants for you either.” He continues after allowing the boys a moment to breathe sighs of relief, “What about your clan?”

“The witching community is… varied,” Hyukjae frowns, “some are more open to differences but others are really rooted in homophobia. Heechul and Zhou Mi know, but Sungmin and Kyuhyun have said some pretty phobic stuff… I’m not sure about Jongwoon and Ryeowook.”

“If they figure it out themselves then okay, but we’re not about to tell them,” Donghae sighs, “for now anyway. I don’t want to distance Hyukjae from his friends.”

“I’d be queer with or without you Donghae,” Hyukjae says with grim amusement, “but I’m very lucky I have you.”

“We all have our own hardships,” Seung Yeon says, his voice suddenly much older than he appears, “some more difficult to bear than others. They shape us; determine the person we become and we choose who we are by how we deal with them.”

“It’s almost a part of our identity,” Donghae laughs mirthlessly. “I don’t know what I’d be like without it. I’d prefer there was no homophobia or biphobia but, since that’s not about to happen, I’ll take the strength I’ve gained from it and kick their butts.”

“I certainly hope you’re not about to kick the elders’ butts,” Seung Yeon says, the words so strange in his mouth that Hyukjae erupts into giggles. “I am always sorry that the world is like this, but I am always proud of your resilience. I am sure you two will have an empathy with others bearing similar hardships from society, and that is something that will be useful in the future.”

Hyukjae smiles wryly but nods in agreement. “If something good can come out of it, good.”

“Similar experiences can help build alliances,” Donghae murmurs thoughtfully, “it’d make a reliable network of people.”

Seung Yeon glances at the boys, pleased to see positivity blending with their strategic thinking. “You two will be just fine.”

 

 

 

“Okay, I know you wanted to wait until everyone was used to seeing me around,” Hyukjae says between chattering teeth, folding his arms to trap the heat within his thick coat. “But do we really have to go flying in the middle of winter?”

“It’ll be fine,” Donghae cackles, the air around him steaming from the flames along his skin as they ascend a slope nearby the town’s perimeter. “Besides, it’s pretty with all the snow! I want to show you my home.”

Despite himself, Hyukjae feels his cheeks flushing. “It’s so cold though. And with all this snow will I even see anything?”

“You will,” Donghae rolls his eyes. “Why don’t you just do a heat spell? It’s not like you didn’t always do one for me.”

“Father says we shouldn’t do the same type of spell in close proximity or it’ll amplify,” he sighs, “I don’t wanna set the mountain on fire.

Donghae blinks at him in surprise before breaking out into a wide grin. “You’re learning!” he says ecstatically, moving instinctively to hug him but holding himself back at the last moment. He glances around, his eyes flashing blue before he leaps forward to latch himself onto Hyukjae.

“Hey!” Hyukjae stumbles and catches himself, loosening his arms from beneath their chests to wrap them around Donghae’s bare torso. “Is this okay? Nobody can see?” he asks quietly, glancing at the flames uneasily despite knowing they cannot harm him. The cold more biting than his concern, he holds Donghae closer for warmth.

“Nah, nobody’s around,” Donghae says confidently. “They’re all probably curled up in a fire somewhere.”

“I don’t think that will ever not sound weird,” Hyukjae snickers, continuing to use ice magic to push the snow out of his path. The contrast of hot and cold mixes with the opposing magical natures, causing mist glittering with green specks to billow around them. “I still think it’s cool you all live in little castles.”

“We set ourselves on fire, Hyukjae,” Donghae scoffs, “we’d burn anything other than fat slabs of rock down.”

“Well doesn’t that set me at ease,” Hyukjae drawls sarcastically. “Thank you for not burning me to a crisp.”

Donghae laughs quietly and turns his head to press a fire laced kiss against Hyukjae’s cheek, the mild heat melting the remaining ice clinging to the shaved skin. “You’ve got some of my magic in you, and yours in me. We protect each other.”

“I like the sound of that,” Hyukjae smiles, kissing Donghae’s flame slicked cheek affectionately. “Where are we going? You’re kinda heavy. Must have been that cake.”

“I’m sorry Hyukjae but cake holds a special place in my heart,” Donghae sniffs, looking back and nearly wiggling himself out of Hyukjae’s grip with his excitement. “Here!” Hyukjae releases him so he can scramble up a little higher, heading for the most gentle slope on the mountainside. “Hang on!” he calls loudly, “let me change!”

Hyukjae watches as Donghae’s body morphs smoothly into a much larger form, his structure shifting from humanoid to a long, serpentine body. Unlike most of his clan, Donghae’s form is more similar to a lizard than a snake; his belly is broad and armoured with large scales, his limbs thick with muscle. The silver dragon towers over Hyukjae, the length of his body equivalent to two elephants. Hyukjae tries to hold back the urge to gape, the magnificent power in Donghae’s dragon form never failing to awe him.

Stop checking me out and get on, Donghae’s amused voice sounds near his ears. Hyukjae scrambles forward and summons magic into his hands, channelling it into the winds ripping around them to push himself off the ground. He finely controls his ascent and lands smoothly on Donghae’s wide shoulders, immediately latching his legs around the curve of his neck.

“Don’t drop me,” he jokes while he magically fuses his hands to the smooth iridescent scales glinting white in the mild sunlight, knowing Donghae would never let him fall.

Very funny, Donghae says sarcastically as he opens his wings. Hyukjae lowers his body to move along with Donghae’s gait as he runs forward, his weight making the smaller stones jump off the ground as the dragon gains momentum. With a single strong push, Donghae propels himself into the air and moves his wings in a smooth figure-eight in front of his chest to maintain the height. Hyukjae feels the wind knocked out of him as they soar higher into the sky, Donghae quickly flapping his wings until he can glide along the air currents.

Muttering a boundary spell to keep the air around him stable enough to breathe comfortably, Hyukjae digs his fingers into the smooth scales and tries to keep himself calm. “ it’s cold.” He can hear Donghae’s laughter dancing around him, the rich sound stable despite the howling wind.

Hang on, Donghae says with amusement, pushing them up a little higher and then spreading his wings wide. Judging their position in the current to be stable, he flicks his tail and turns to circle along the mountains. Okay, open your eyes.

“No.” Pressing his entire body into the broad neck for warmth, he presses his face against the flat surface of scales. “Too cold, too high.”

I could burn off your clothes and cover you in my fire, Donghae says with glee. It’s much warmer than what you’ve got going on. You don’t have to waste metabolic energy producing your own heat.

“Is that why you’re all still in the middle of ing winter?” Hyukjae mumbles, his eyelids firmly closed.

If I can’t be myself then they’re gonna see all of me, balls included, Donghae states bluntly. Hyukjae snorts with laughter as he continues, But seriously, it’s a better way to keep warm.

“Donghae, I am not going to sit on you while we’re flying,” Hyukjae rolls his eyes without opening them.

So you’ll sit on me later? Donghae asks cheekily, his voice full of playful enthusiasm.

Excitement curling within his belly, Hyukjae clears his throat. “It’s not like I wouldn’t… mind that,” he says quietly as if they could be overheard, “but with everyone keeping close for heat there’s no way they wouldn’t smell it on us.”

I have to smell it on so many of them but no–o, they can’t bear to handle us, Donghae drawls. Not fair. I know Min and Hongki got down yesterday and they’re ancient – but we can’t do more than make out. Children can smell it and the adults say they can do it anyway but we can’t even kiss in front of them. Short straw much, he growls.

Hyukjae loosens his death grip to a more comforting embrace, the warm reptilian skin and admiring the silver shimmer of shifting scales. He processes Donghae’s statement and freezes with a horrifying realisation. “Wait, the kids can smell ?!”

They’re babies but they’re baby dragons, Hyukjae, Donghae says, some irritation lingering in his voice that Hyukjae knows isn’t directed at him. If I can smell it, they can smell it. It’s just natural for us. Still gross though.

Hyukjae hums in thoughts. “So you can tell when your parents–”

Don’t go there, Donghae interrupts with a shudder that has Hyukjae flinching and clinging tighter again. But yes. It’s TMI Friday every day.

“Isn’t it TMI Tuesday?” he asks.

Shut up and open your eyes. The flat tone has Hyukjae certain Donghae just rolled his eyes at him.

Bracing himself with a deep breath, Hyukjae keeps his cheek pressed to warm scales as he opens his eyes. Squinting at first, he immediately notices the bright expanse of white surrounding him in all directions. Making them out to be clouds, he glances down and recognises the short flames flickering along the large body as Donghae’s smallest fire coat. “Thanks for not burning my clothes,” he grins, aware that a stronger flame would be dangerous to anything that wasn’t his own body.

I still say you should vanish them so I can make you warmer, Donghae says stubbornly.

“You just want me ,” he replies as he slowly sits up, admiring the grey tinged clouds that darken the further away they become.

I always want you , Donghae snorts, I just don’t want I just don’t want you to be cold.

“If it starts snowing I’ll do that,” Hyukjae concedes. “Whoa,” he breathes, the warm mist from his mouth concealing his view for the slightest moment before it’s blown away and he can see down again. The mountains below are masses of white blending into each other, impossibly large and plunging down into the earth. The small castles appear as dark protrusions in the expanse of snow, serving as little black and grey landmarks. “I can’t even see the yellow houses,” he notes.

Just wait until spring and summer, Donghae says with unrestrained excitement, the yellows really pop with the green and it’s beautiful.

This is really beautiful,” Hyukjae says, turning in his spot to take in as much as he can. “I can’t believe you can see this all the time.”

You can ride me any time you want, Donghae cackles while Hyukjae ignores the comment.

 

 

 

The next day Hyukjae’s eyes are sore from the cold wind and bright light while his face is burned red from the UV exposure. “I’m never flying with you again,” he groans, pressing his face into his bed sheets and adding a little more magic to the light blocking spell keeping his and Donghae’s room in absolute darkness.

“I’m sorry,” Donghae says again, his voice soft with guilt and regret. The pungent smell helps him locate the deep bowl of burn ointment and he collects some more in his cupped hand. He rubs his hands together and resumes massaging the ointment into Hyukjae’s shoulders and back. “I’ll make sure you’re more protected next time.”

“So will I,” Hyukjae sighs, the gentle massage soothing the sting in his skin. “I can’t believe I got burned this much – it was covered by my clothes! It’s a good thing I didn’t go .”

“But then my flames would’ve given you full protection,” Donghae points out, “from the light and UV and cold all in one go.”

“I hate you,” Hyukjae mumbles into the pillow, feeling its wetness from the ointment on his face rubbing off.

“You love me,” Donghae says smugly, “even when it gives you sunburn.”

“Sunscreen is the true protection for our love,” Hyukjae says sarcastically. “It was the answer all along.”

“,” Donghae snorts. “Speaking of which, do you think this stuff could double as lube?”

“Donghae,” Hyukjae says warningly.

“Okay, okay,” he says quickly, “I’ll be good.” He shifts his massage lower to rub the ointment into Hyukjae’s lower back, immensely enjoying the quiet moan he receives. “Until summer anyway.”

“What happens in summer?” Hyukjae asks, his eyelids fluttering closed as Donghae’s thumbs draw circles into his spine.

“We get the house to ourselves for a couple of weeks,” Donghae grins lazily, “and everyone keeps to themselves because of the heat.”

Catching on, excitement quickens his heartbeat and goosebumps rise along his skin. “Oh.”

“Yeah,” Donghae says quietly, running his palms over Hyukjae’s back and smirking at the sensation of little bumps beneath his fingers. “Oh.”

 

 

 

“Is it supposed to be this warm?” Hyukjae asks with a frown at the start of December. “I thought summers here weren’t higher than the thirties, if that.”

“Technically speaking, it’s not supposed to be this hot,” Donghwa replies while he prepares lunch. “A lot of the elder dragons like to show off though, and if there’s one thing they’re good at it’s heat spells.”

“I can imagine that,” Hyukjae laughs quietly, “one of the baby dragons charged Min’s garden so she set him on fire.”

“Jonghyun will have to learn that the roses aren’t to be messed with,” Donghwa sighs. “She works hard to maintain their microclimate.”

“How hot does it get up here then?” Hyukjae asks curiously, accepting the cutting board handed to him and beginning to chop cucumber.

“Depends on how they feel,” Donghwa shrugs. “The highest is fifty.”

“Fifty?!” Hyukjae yells in astonishment. “Celcius?!”

“Of course,” Donghwa snorts, “they like their heat.”

“No kidding,” Hyukjae shakes his head. “Is that why you’re all leaving?”

“We have a holiday house further inland with the humans,” Donghwa smiles at Hyukjae’s disgusted expression. “You look traumatised.”

“That’s insanely hot,” Hyukjae grimaces, “what about the animals?”

“They run away, like I’m gonna do,” Donghwa grins. “Donghae’s ridiculous and actually likes the ridiculous temperatures; that’s why we leave him behind. That means you have to stay too.”

“Take me with you,” Hyukjae groans miserably. “Please.”

“Don’t worry, we’re taking pity on you,” Donghwa laughs, “father’s finishing off the pool so you can live in there when it gets too much.”

“I haven’t seen a pool,” Hyukjae frowns with confusion and peers outside one of the windows. “Just gardens.”

“It’s in the basement,” Donghwa shrugs. He catches Hyukjae’s gaping expression and snorts again. “What?”

“An indoor pool? Are you serious?” The bulk of the cucumber remains in one piece, forgotten as Hyukjae mindlessly points the knife at his honorary brother.

“Of course I’m serious, we don’t want to come back and see you’ve been burnt to a crisp. Donghae got you burnt in winter, let alone summer.” Donghwa rolls his eyes and gestures to the cucumber to remind Hyukjae of his task. “Take care of him, okay? He’s smart but he’s an idiot.”

“Will do,” Hyukjae snorts with laughter, his mind still reeling. “Any more secrets about this house I don’t know of?”

“Please; there are secrets of his house I’m not aware of,” Donghwa shakes his head.

 

 

 

The elder dragons slowly increase the temperature until it reaches the forties in mid-December. Since Min and Hongki live right next door to them, Hyukjae rapidly finds the outdoors unbearable and confines himself to the house.

Sprawled over a large beanbag, Donghae lowers his book to watch Hyukjae float on his back in the middle of the pool. “Why don’t you just use a cooling spell?” Donghae asks curiously, glancing down at the blue board shorts concealing Hyukjae’s thighs. “And why are you still not .”

“You’re obsessed with , I swear,” Hyukjae laughs, kicking his legs through the water to push himself further away. “I’m not so I can save myself from your prying eyes,” he lifts his head to shoot him a cheeky grin and quickly closes his mouth when the water level grows too high for comfort. Flipping forward, he swims to an edge of the pool and sits on the underwater step that lines the pool’s entire perimeter. “The heat is so constant,” he groans, “I’d have to do a cooling spell 24/7 and that’s too much effort when I can just stay in the pool all day instead.”

“We do have air conditioners, you know,” Donghae rolls his eyes and puts his book down. “If you stay in there for too long you’ll go more wrinkly than the elders.”

“Nobody is more wrinkly than them,” Hyukjae snickers.

Standing up, Donghae prowls along the side of the pool with no thought towards his bare skin. “You just insulted the elders. According to dragon law, I must punish you,” he says with mock formality, eyes glittering mischievously.

Hyukjae grins and pushes himself away from the pool’s wall, ducking below the waterline to swim further away. He gasps for air as he surfaces quickly to shout, “What kind of punishment?” before sinking again. He misses any reply Donghae may have given but sees an unexpected bomb of white as his boyfriend dives into the opposite end of the pool. Laughter bubbling in his throat, Hyukjae takes a quick breath of air and submerges to swim for the floor. He tries to keep his movements streamlined as Donghae swims above him, grasping at the tile floor to propel himself along without disturbing the water too much. The need to breathe steadily becoming more demanding, he waits until he’s a safe distance away before going up for air.

He takes rapid and deep breaths, cycling his legs in a doggy paddle and spinning to search for Donghae. He stares at the clear water and struggles to make out more than the blurry lines of tile borders. Frowning when he doesn’t make out a darker shape amongst the blue, he calls out, “Donghae? Did you teleport?” He feels a light touch on his hips before his board shorts are abruptly yanked down his legs and tossed aside; Hyukjae yells with surprise and attempts to kick behind him.

Donghae appears laughing at the far end of the pool. “Over here,” he teases, waggling his fingers towards Hyukjae.

“You cheating ,” Hyukjae yells, spotting his shorts sitting soaked at the farthest corner of the large stone room. “You teleported.”

“That I did,” Donghae smirks, trailing his eyes lazily along Hyukjae’s lightly tanned torso. “Wanted to enjoy the view.”

“Of course you did,” Hyukjae pulls a face at him and gives an affronted huff. “Well, you won’t enjoy it for long.” Intending to retrieve his shorts, he rapidly chants a spell and shoots his arm out – water rushes out of the pool in a thin tendril and stabs down to the sopping wet pile on the floor. Before the clawed tip of the water tentacle can reach it, Donghae teleports to the shorts and grabs them. Hyukjae lets the water splash back into the pool with a sigh as Donghae vanishes. “Cheater.” He ducks beneath the surface and lazily kicks himself forward, bored with the pool.

Donghae materialises directly behind Hyukjae just as he reaches the wall. “Leaving already?” he grins, wrapping his arms around Hyukjae’s slim waist.

“Well somebody took my clothes,” Hyukjae rolls his eyes and tries to hold back a grin when a chin comes to rest on his shoulder. “And I’m getting tired of being in here all the time.”

“Should we go somewhere else then?” Donghae muses, a small smile tilting his lips at Hyukjae’s sharp inhale as their bodies meet.

“I dunno,” Hyukjae hums with mock thoughtfulness, tapping a finger along his lip and slowly rocking his hips back teasingly. He turns his head and sees his own smirk mirrored on Donghae’s lips. “I’m not really in the mood for heat.”

“That’s a shame,” Donghae hums, grinding back and delighting in the goosebumps he can see blooming over Hyukjae’s back. Pulling back slightly, he guides Hyukjae into turning around and smiles as he’s pulled into Hyukjae’s arms. “Hi,” he grins dorkily, resting his forehead against Hyukjae’s affectionately.

“Moron,” Hyukjae snorts, his lips curling with fondness. Lifting his arms and draping them over strong shoulders, his eyelids lower as a gentle smile relaxes his face. “I missed you.”

“You say it like you could get rid of me.” Donghae’s slightly crooked teeth gleam in the artificial light of the basement, striking Hyukjae with the abrupt yearning to be outdoors once again.

“You know what I mean,” he rolls his eyes and traces a finger along the smooth curve of Donghae’s cheekbone. “I missed being able to touch you.”

“Believe me, it’s like dying,” Donghae says bluntly, earning an amused laugh in return. “Seriously!” he defends earnestly, “without being creepy or anything, I want to touch you all the time! But with mother and father and Dongbutt around I can’t and it .”

Hyukjae can’t hold back the snigger. “Dongbutt. That could apply to you too.”

“I’m being serious here,” Donghae huffs, “if I touch you I’ll want to touch you more and I know it’s not that weird for us but I don’t exactly want them smelling how much I want you.”

Hyukjae shakes with suppressed laughter and eventually gives up, dropping his head to laugh into Donghae’s neck. “You’re so eloquent.”

“And you’re mean,” Donghae pouts. “And a mood ruiner.”

“Like a little laughter would kill your ,” Hyukjae snorts. He hesitates by habit before remembering nobody else is around. Lips parting into a cheeky grin, he runs a hand down firm abdominal muscles and curls his hand around the semi-hard . “See? You’re fine,” he says as he begins it, pleased with the way Donghae stiffens in his arms. Pulling back to see his expression, he smirks with satisfaction at the pleasured crease to Donghae’s eyebrows.

Opening his eyes, Donghae takes one look at Hyukjae’s self-satisfied grin and feels a familiar passion ignite and simmer within the core of his body. Seeing no reason to withhold it yet again, he leans forward to press Hyukjae into the cool tiles. Slowly brushing his hands up and down the length of Hyukjae’s torso, he watches small water droplets trickle down the slender neck. Temptation growing stronger, he bypasses Hyukjae’s lips in favour of pressing a kiss into the crook of his neck. Grunting as blood pools thick in his groin to fill his , he gently sinks his teeth into the skin and begins .

Hyukjae relaxes back and squeezes his hand, satisfied with the increasing stiffness beneath his palm. “Been going straight for my neck lately,” he says while hooking his legs around Donghae’s bare waist. He removes his hand and pulls him closer by the hips, groaning as their groins press into each other. “Last time I checked you were a dragon, not a vampire.”

“I dunno,” Donghae says, his husky voice muffled by reddening flesh. “I could bite you if you want.”

“I’ve got a better idea,” he hums thoughtfully, taking one plump cheek into each hand and squeezing.

“What kind of idea?” Donghae asks, curiosity piercing through the lust in his gaze. “I hope it involves because that’s kind of what I had in mind.”

“You’re so unsubtle,” Hyukjae manages to say through snorted giggles, unable to stop laughing even as he pulls Donghae’s hips into rocking against his own. “And you call me the mood ruiner.”

“Our love cannot be vanquished by such crass words!” Donghae declares, grinning at the sight of Hyukjae’s flushed face contorted with laughter. “We shall regardless!”

“Why are you such a ing moron,” Hyukjae cackles, his hands leaving his to run through Donghae’s hair affectionately.

“You love me anyway,” Donghae’s face lights up with a brilliant grin, his eyes crinkling at the corners as his teeth glint yet again.

Hyukjae’s breath stills for a moment as he reconsiders – he’d rather be with Donghae even if it meant never being outside again. “I do,” he says warmly, cradling his head gently to bring him forward for a kiss. “I love you,” he murmurs against his lips.

“Damn un-straight you do,” Donghae snickers and watches Hyukjae roll his eyes. Closing his eyes, he tilts his head slightly and presses their lips together. His chest warming with the pleased sigh blowing past his mouth, he welcomes the limbs enveloping him and pulling him closer to push away the water keeping them apart. He feels Hyukjae’s lips part but remains chaste, sticking to gentle kisses against the corner of his lips.

Sensing the atmosphere between them take a slower turn, Hyukjae languidly runs his tongue over slightly chapped ones. Understanding the mood his boyfriend is going for but feeling impatient, he gives Donghae’s lower lip a quick nip. “Don’t keep me waiting,” he quickly whispers before tugging on the thin lower lip with his teeth. “I’ve been waiting for too long already.”

Rutting his hips just enough to get a moan out of him, Donghae his slightly swelling lip and watches Hyukjae loll his head back with a heady gaze. “Let’s go back to my room then,” he says as he unlatches Hyukjae’s limbs from around him. “I’m not about to love you in the family pool.”

Snickering with amusement, Hyukjae pushes himself out of the pool as Donghae follows suit. He ignores his bobbing and retrieves his towel, hastily rubbing it over his body. He blinks with surprise as the white towel is taken from his hands and brushed over his torso with much more care than he would use. “This is more waiting,” he says with a teasing grin.

Donghae snorts and continues carefully drying Hyukjae’s body. “Can’t get you wet if the pool already did it for me,” he grins. “Besides, I like doing this for you.”

“You realise we’re going to have to shower right after this anyway, right? Now we’re out all I can smell is pool on us,” Hyukjae scrunches his nose with distaste.

Donghae’s eyes brighten. “That means I can dry you again!”

“You’re so weird,” Hyukjae sighs. He braces himself when Donghae grasps his shoulders and his eyes flash blue. Keeping his eyes shut, he feels his belly drop and his body stretched almost to the point of pain – just before the discomfort nears unbearable, he materialises in Donghae’s bathroom. “I hate that,” he shivers, stepping aside to let Donghae adjust the shower settings.

“That was just going upstairs,” Donghae grins, manoeuvring Hyukjae under the warm jet of water. “Imagine doing that for nearly 9800km.”

“Ick,” Hyukjae grimaces and pulls Donghae under the spray, running his hands through his hair to wash it. “Doesn’t sound pleasant at all.”

Donghae loads the shampoo onto his palms and rubs them together before working Hyukjae’s hair up into a thick lather. “At least I’m pampering you now,” he grins.

“I must admit, I do enjoy being pampered,” Hyukjae smiles and lets Donghae bring his head into the water. When the shampoo is gone he leans back and opens his eyes to do the same for Donghae, enjoying the implied trust in his boyfriend’s closed eyes and content smile. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Donghae says carefully to avoid letting soap enter his mouth. He allows Hyukjae to rinse his hair before he reaches for the liquid soap and squirts some onto his palm. He immediately massages it into strong pectorals, cheekily rubbing pert s before cleaning Hyukjae’s arms. “You’re so handsome,” he murmurs, admiring Hyukjae’s fingers.

“Do let the flattery continue,” Hyukjae snickers. His laugh morphs into a sigh when Donghae his languidly, taking care to avoid the soap contacting the tip. He frowns at the odd sensation of water rushing over his when Donghae holds it under the spray. “What are you doing?” he asks, puzzled as Donghae squirts more soap onto his palms, squats and begins lathering his thighs.

“Being a little ,” Donghae grins up cheekily at him before taking the head of Hyukjae’s into his mouth. He feels a moan rumbling in his chest as the taste seeps into his mouth, his own lust making him more eager. He squeezes slender yet muscular thighs and resumes massaging soap into them as he strongly enough for Hyukjae to curse, loving the sensation of the hot hardening in his mouth.

“, Donghae,” Hyukjae groans, unable to take his eyes off the sight of his favourite lips forming a red ring around his . “This isn’t helping the whole patience thing.” His arm darts out to support himself against the wall when a slick tongue rubs into the slit. “Oh ,” his head drops back when Donghae bobs his head deeper, taking Hyukjae’s further into his mouth and searing it with heat. “, I missed this so much,” he moans, shivering as a slick finger teases around his sphincter. It slides easily into him despite the awkward angle, present enough to increase his desire but insufficient to quench it in any way. Slowly rocking his hips back and forth, Hyukjae gently tugs at Donghae’s hair and watches with fixation as his vanishes into Donghae’s mouth. “Donghae,” he says with a voice nearing worship. “I won’t last long if we do this.”

Swallowing around his and earning a guttural moan, Donghae forces himself to back off and stand up. Panting lightly, he presses his face into the front of Hyukjae’s neck and inhales deeply. “I love the smell of your lust,” he breathes, his hushed voice sharpening the t.

Trying to focus more on Donghae than the rhythmic ache of his , Hyukjae takes a deep breath and kisses the top of Donghae’s head. “I love you,” he says quietly, gently embracing Donghae’s head to his chest for a long moment. “Now let’s clean you off so I can act like a dog and sniff you too,” he grins mischievously.

“Excuse you,” Donghae says, swatting at Hyukjae’s arms to stand upright. “I am a dragon.”

“I know that, you big baby,” Hyukjae snickers, hastily grabbing the soap and lathering up Donghae’s broad torso. “I like that we can do this.”

“Do what?” Donghae hums, basking in the attention as Hyukjae cleans his arms and back.

“Go from laughing to hot and heavy and laughing again,” Hyukjae smiles fondly, crouching to rub soap over Donghae’s legs. “It’s nice.”

“I’m comfortable with you,” Donghae says honestly, lifting his feet to let Hyukjae wash and quickly rinse them. “If I’m with you, I’m happy.”

“You’re sweet,” Hyukjae says even as he rubs his lathered hand into the crevice of Donghae’s . Taking pleasure in the gasp and flushing face he receives, he leans in to kiss over the pulse point he can see beginning to flutter. “So sweet I could eat you up.”

“Okay,” Donghae ducks into the water and hurriedly rinses his body. “If we keep this up we’ll never leave the bathroom.”

“Doesn’t sound so bad,” Hyukjae snickers but leaves the shower to grab a towel. Knowing Donghae was serious about drying him again, he picks up the other towel and waits patiently albeit dripping wet for Donghae to turn off the water and step onto the bathmat. Passing a towel over and earning a grateful smile, he immediately gives Donghae’s body a quick yet gentle dry.

“Cute,” Donghae smiles as he dries Hyukjae’s black hair.

“But I’m not doing anything,” Hyukjae protests, massaging the towel into Donghae’s hair and smiling at his relaxed expression.

“Still cute,” Donghae continues to squeeze the moisture out of Hyukjae’s hair until it’s closer to dry than damp.

“Okay, I think this is enough,” Hyukjae grins, glancing down at their softening . “At this rate our are doing the wave.”

Donghae snorts and agrees, hooking his towel over the bar. “Alright, dry us up.”

“Sure thing, lazy bum.” Murmuring a spell for heat, he warms their skin enough to evaporate the remaining water and cool their skin.

Donghae’s eyelids fall shut with pleasure and he leans into Hyukjae’s space. “I love your heat magic.”

“Well I don’t in this weather,” Hyukjae rolls his eyes and takes Donghae’s hand, leading him into the bedroom. He grimaces at the heat of the room and fans himself with his unoccupied hand. “ing heat.”

“Why not use a cooling spell?” Donghae asks curiously, releasing Hyukjae’s hand to retrieve lubricant. “Condoms?”

“Because if I use one I’ll want it to stay, and maintaining it for so long is draining.” Tilting his head in thought, Hyukjae muses, “I suppose if it’s for a short while it’d be fine. If you do one too. And I don’t feel like using one, but if you want to then we will.”

Donghae tosses the lube onto the bed and sits in the middle of it, gesturing for Hyukjae to crawl on and join him. “I don’t want to either. As for cooling spells…” Closing his eyes, Donghae extends his hands and emits icy blue magic from his palms. Hyukjae quickly mutters a cold spell and pounces onto Donghae the moment the magic takes hold.

Grinning boyishly down at him, Hyukjae brushes his thumb along Donghae’s kiss-swollen lower lip. “Who tops?”

Donghae hums and nips at Hyukjae’s thumb, chuckling as Hyukjae rips it away. “Hard question, if you know what I mean,” he says, rolling his hips up into Hyukjae’s.

“You dork,” Hyukjae snickers. “I don’t mind either way… I kind of want both. At the same time, but well, can’t do that.”

A thoughtful look passes over Donghae’s face. “I should look into cloning spells.”

“Don’t even go there,” Hyukjae shivers. “One of you is bad enough.”

“Hey!” Donghae protests, nearly knocking Hyukjae off as he pushes himself up.

“I still love you,” Hyukjae laughs, cradling his arms around Donghae’s head and kissing him warmly. “One of you is perfect.”

“Just as well,” Donghae says exasperatedly, rubbing circles into Hyukjae’s lower back. He watches his open mouthed grin morph into a slightly dropped jaw when he lowers his hand and rubs his finger against Hyukjae’s sphincter. “I don’t know whether to you or be ed first.”

“How about you get something inside me while you make up your mind,” Hyukjae says snarkily, his breathlessness dulling the bite to his tone.

An amused smile tugging at his lips, Donghae uncaps the lube and pours some onto his fingers. He rubs a slick finger against the sphincter as a warning before he easily slides it inside. Humming with mock concentration, he pushes in to the knuckle and curls his finger just enough to have Hyukjae gasping. “I dunno, we might have to do two rounds,” he muses, “I just can’t make up my mind.”

“Do you see me complaining?” Hyukjae growls with frustration, impatience attenuating his desire to play around. Rocking his hips down to make a point, he glares into Donghae’s amused eyes. “Do you have to pick now to be like this?” he complains, constricting his sphincter in an attempt to make the single finger feel more substantial.

“It’s fun,” Donghae protests, giving in and slipping another finger inside. ing them in smoothly, he spreads them apart and enjoys the dropped jaw and pleased sigh above him. “Dragons are playful beings, you know.”

“You say dragons are everything,” Hyukjae grumbles. His eyes suddenly sparking with an idea, he presses his lips against Donghae’s ear and moans deeply. Sensing the muscular body beneath him stiffen, he smirks and grinds down with another moan. “How about,” he muses quietly, running a hand down Donghae’s tense abdomen and his languidly. “A little less child’s play and a little more ing me,” he smirks wickedly, squeezing the hot in his hand in a way that never fails to make him shiver.

Biting his lip as heat spreads in waves of pleasure through his body, Donghae tilts his head towards Hyukjae's cheek. “I think I like the sound of that,” he grins with dark eyes, ing three fingers inside him and loving how Hyukjae curls around to embrace him like a flower in reverse bloom. He begins rolling his hips into Hyukjae’s tight fist, slipping his tongue between lightly lips while he reaches in deeper.

Nearly biting Donghae’s tongue in surprise from the unexpected pleasure bursting within him, Hyukjae lets out a loud curse and presses his face into the fluttering pulse of Donghae’s neck as sweat breaks out over his back. “I haven’t felt that in so long,” he murmurs with a hint of tremor, unconsciously clenching his hands and tightening around the curving fingers inside him. “Almost forgot how good it feels.”

“I know the feeling,” Donghae says quietly, mesmerised with how easily Hyukjae falls apart in his arms. “Do you think you’re ready?” he asks, the grip on his making him burn with want.

“Oh, so now you want to get it on,” Hyukjae scoffs, slipping his hand up to rub his finger into the wet slit of Donghae’s . Massaging along the velvety skin, he on the mildly salty neck until his hand is pulled away with shaky hands. Releasing the blushing skin, he asks with concern, “Are you okay?” He sits up and grins at the intensity in electric blue eyes. “Oh.”

“Yeah,” Donghae huffs with a crooked grin, “Oh. Are you ready? Can I put it in?”

“Can I put it in,” Hyukjae laughs, the odd mixture of amusement at wording and affection for his boyfriend putting his needs before his own making his chest light and giddy. “Yes you can, you child.”

“I’ll show you child,” Donghae grumbles, slipping his fingers out of Hyukjae’s and twisting his wrist until thin streams of water spin around his digits to clean them. Lubing up his with the same hasty accuracy he has with sharp turns in flight, he lines his up to where Hyukjae stands on his knees. “Yes?”

Rolling his eyes even as a fond smile pulls across his lips, Hyukjae sinks down and allows Donghae to slowly guide his heavy inside him. Sighing as he’s stretched to his satisfaction, he rocks his hips to settle himself and delights in the low groan that leaves Donghae’s throat. “I missed this,” he smiles, cupping Donghae’s cheeks and kissing him sensuously. Feeling a pressure against his lips, he draws a eager tongue into his mouth and on it with months of pent up yearning.

Their hips rocking in the same rhythm, the heat shared between them keeps them oblivious to the shards of ice beginning to cling to the ends of the duvet. A guttural groan rumbling deep within his throat, Donghae wraps his arms around the lithe waist and guides Hyukjae into lying on his back. He quickly grabs a pillow to ease beneath Hyukjae’s head before lifting slender hips. The new position has Hyukjae clawing at the bed sheets and crying out, writhing against the mattress and entwining his legs around Donghae’s hips. Satisfied that he’s finally bringing Hyukjae the pleasure he deserves, Donghae bites his lip for a sting of pain strong enough to distract him from the heavy blood thickening in his groin. “I don’t think I’m gonna last long,” he admits with a pant, holding mobile hips stable to rut against him hard enough for a shout of ecstasy.

“I know,” Hyukjae replies with eyes closed in bliss, opening them to grin up at him. “Your eyes turned blue before we even started.”

Clinging to the conversation to keep his mind off the pressure building in his , Donghae shuts his eyes to shut off the visual of Hyukjae arching with pleasure, dark eyes glowing and red bouncing from his s. “Sorry.”

Watching the red flush suffuse through the broad chest and softening taut muscles, Hyukjae smirks lazily. “No need to apologise,” he says, drawing himself up by the abs to yank Donghae down on top of him. He pulls the panting boy’s head into his neck, butterflies dancing with the lust in his belly at the sensation of Donghae breathing him in with an audible groan of desire. “It means I can you right now,” he says, unconsciously clenching around the swollen inside him and desperately at the feeling. “I love this; you inside me, you with me. I love you.”

“Aren’t I supposed to be the one saying that,” Donghae manages to say, his voice so close to a growl Hyukjae almost doesn’t understand him.

“So sassy,” Hyukjae chuckles, laughing a little harder when Donghae moans at the sensation. “I can’t wait to you too,” he groans into Donghae’s ear, feeling a warm nose brush against the skin of his neck again as he’s breathed in. “Gonna make you scream.”

Holding back the moan building within his throat, Donghae inhales deeply and grinds heavily against him. “Your lust smells so good,” he shivers, lighting sinking his fangs into Hyukjae’s neck. “I want you so bad. I, I want to be yours even more.”

“You’re my familiar,” Hyukjae says in an assuring voice, sensing Donghae’s desires growing primal and raw. “And I’m your witch. I’m yours as much as you are mine.”

“Mine,” Donghae tightens his grip on Hyukjae’s hips and feels sweltering ual delight explode to rush to his head before he can stop it. Groaning loudly into Hyukjae’s neck, he has the presence of mind to pull back his fangs before he can cause any damage. Low moans continue as caring fingers run through his hair and over his back, giving him something to hold onto while he comes down from the high.

His resting heavily on his abdomen as the s come to a stop, Hyukjae can’t help but smile at the dazed grin that’s no doubt on his lover’s lips. “Good?” he asks, kissing the hair he can reach.

“Mhmm,” Donghae gives a drawn out hum as residual pleasure sings through his blood vessels. “Mind blowing.”

“You know,” Hyukjae muses, fond smile remaining on his lips as Donghae tucks himself deeper into his neck to breathe him in. “Given that you me off, I’m the one who should’ve come first.”

“Couldn’t help it,” Donghae shrugs, “I get off on that as much as you do. Do you know how good you smell? It makes me so .”

Snorting with amusement even as flattery warms his cheeks, Hyukjae his hand through black hair lovingly. “Don’t tell me I’m gonna walk in on you one day sniffing my underwear.”

Snorting with laughter, Donghae sits up and grins down at him with sparkling blue eyes while he pours some lube onto his fingers. “Maybe,” he says cheekily.

“Your eyes are still dragon-y,” Hyukjae frowns with confusion, his mouth dropping when Donghae casually rolls onto his knees and s a finger into himself. “Holy ,” he murmurs, unable to tear his eyes from the second finger joining the first with no hesitation.

“They’re still dragon-y,” Donghae drawls, eyebrows furrowing with focus as he stretches himself out, “because you haven’t come yet. Your scent is so thick with lust and love and it’s all for me and ,” he groans, spreading his legs and pushing his fingers in deeper.

His breath coming quickly as his throbbing reminds him of how long he’s been so aroused for, Hyukjae crawls closer and fumbles for the bottle of lube. He slicks up a finger and taps it along the perineum as warning before sliding it in to join Donghae’s. his lower lip at the way Donghae bows his body down lower and sticks up his in the process, Hyukjae moves in synchrony with him. “I can’t believe how y you are,” he says honestly.

“Look who’s talking,” Donghae pants, his flaccid but desire burning through his veins. Jolting as his sensitised prostate is brushed, he moans lowly and removes his fingers. “Now,” he says shakily while water dances around his fingers again. He supports his head with his arms as he feels a soft heat against his sphincter, unaware of the water rolling off the bed and landing into the pile of snow on the floor.

Nearly vibrating with desire, Hyukjae takes his time to deeper into Donghae with shallow s. The tightness around his has his fingers gripping around sturdy hips and his eyebrows furrowing with restraint. “You feel so…” he murmurs, his twitching as shadowed pleasure teases his prostate. Leaning forward, he threads a supporting arm beneath Donghae’s arm and pulls their bodies together. “Hot.”

“It is the middle of summer,” Donghae jokes, his thoughts beginning to clear from the haze of lust. He tilts his head and breathes in the pungent scent of Hyukjae’s desire, spicy with need and laced with earthy love. Love for him, he smiles, clenching himself tighter around Hyukjae’s searing .

Hyukjae curses at the squeeze to his and slings an arm to support Donghae’s waist before ing hard. He builds a rapid pace as blood pools in his pelvis, the extended period of arousal setting him on edge. He shifts his hips and groans with satisfaction at the loud scream that rips from Donghae’s throat, echoing throughout the room and dislodging a small icicle hanging from the desk. Lowering his face into Donghae’s shoulder so he can smell him, he shivers at the sensation of warm liquid dripping down his thighs. “I can feel your come,” he whispers, gasping at the abrupt fluttering contractions around his . “, I’m,” he mumbles as heat overcomes him, roaring through his mind and drawing his body tight and releasing it with a snap.

Donghae moans with satisfaction as Hyukjae’s scent changes with his , unbridled lust dimming to the thick comfort of musk. He bites his lip as Hyukjae slips out of him, leaving him feeling empty yet sated. He rolls onto his back and smiles when Hyukjae immediately curls into him, thoughts for cleanliness obviously not reaching his consciousness yet. Wrapping his arms around him contently, he looks at the ceiling with a lazy smile that freezes at the sight of ice stretching over the stone. Turning his head, he takes in the ice strewn about the room and forming shattered explosions of snowflakes into the walls. “Hey, Hyukjae,” he murmurs, continuing after an inquiring grunt. “I think our spell got a little power boost.”

Frowning with confusion and wanting nothing more than to cuddle, Hyukjae pushes himself up and stares at the white and silver ice formations enveloping the room. “Well then,” he says, pulling at Donghae’s arm to shift beneath the covers. “An excuse for more magic practise then,” he grins cheekily, tucking himself into Donghae’s embrace.

“You can never have too much practise,” Donghae sniggers. “We do have time now, after all.”

“The rest of our lives,” Hyukjae smiles, kissing the tanned skin before his face affectionately. “If we go to the Greenland they won’t notice.”

Donghae is silent for long enough Hyukjae to think even he thinks he’s being silly. “I can teleport there,” Donghae says seriously. Hyukjae snorts and holds him closer, listening to Donghae vanish the accidental winter wonderland.