Missing

Between the Sky 하늘 사이로

“What? You got a prank message?” Minho looked shocked when she told him about the message she got three days ago. Well, she shouldn’t tell him and made him worried, but she couldn’t help herself when she was too worried about something. Finally she told about the message to Minho, and to her little brother, who gave no response.

“I don’t think it’s a prank, seriously. But, I did feel such creepy feeling when I got it.” She told him the truth.

“Do you think it’s from someone who was already dead?” Minho tried to scare her. She slapped his shoulder. “Ouch! What’s that for?” he groaned.

“Don’t joke around, Song Minho. I’m serious.” She said and sighed. This matter slowly made her getting a headache. “I don’t mean that creepy feeling like someone’s dead, it was just creepy.” She added. “It’s like someone is watching me from distance.”

Minho laughed to hear her words. “You and your imagination. There won’t be such thing happen to you. You set your imagination high above the sky.” He blabbered and laughed even happily.

She frowned. Oh yeah, Minho won’t easily believe something like this. Minho stopped laughing as he saw serious expression written all over her face. He then coughed.

“Do you really think someone put a prank on you?” he asked again as they entered the cinema.

“I’m not sure about it, but it’s one of the most reasonable reasons I could conclude. The first thing I remember after get the message was my colleagues.” She tapped her finger in her chin. Actually she couldn’t be this curious like this and think that one of her colleagues was on this. But, really, she couldn’t help but think about it. Since she didn’t think it would be a really serious matter, she thought it was just a joke, she just needed to find the person who sent the message. “Don’t you think?”

“What, your colleagues?” Minho looked puzzled a bit. “Wait, I’ve met most of them.” They were now in the line to buy the tickets. He tried to remember her collagues’s faces. “Ah, your senior, Kim Jinwoo, he’s not the type that likes to put pranks on people. He looks so kind-hearted and sincere. So, he’s not.” She nodded to hear his conclusion. Yes, she had thought it wasn’t Jinwoo either. Jinwoo wouldn’t do something foolish like this. Jinwoo was too wise to the point he wouldn’t spend time on foolish things. “And Kim Hanbin, he looks so hard-working so he barely sees other things. He always edits the recording, right? I don’t think it’s him.” Minho added.

She nodded to hear Minho’s words. She didn’t think Hanbin would do it. Hanbin would never do it, he was to focused on his works.

“Ah, Hanbin’s younger sister, Kim Hanbyul,” he said,”I don’t think it’s her, either. She looks delicate and doesn’t like to make troubles.”

She nodded again. Yeah, Hanbyul wouldn’t do this kind of thing.

But, there is a person left.

“What about Kang Seungyoon?” she asked when she realized he missed one person.

“Kang who?” Minho looked puzzled.

“Kang Seungyoon, the one who likes to glare at everyone.” She tried to make it clear. “What about him? He doesn’t ever talk to me but I think he’s weird.”

“Ooh, that guy.” Minho nodded in understanding. It seemed like he had remember Seungyoon’s face. “Well, you said to me he’s such an weirdo. He doesn’t care about what other people do. And I don’t think he likes this kind of prank because he simply doesn’t give any people his attention.”

She let out a sigh. “So, it’s not one of them?” he nodded and she then sighed heavily.

“You look disappointed, I can tell.” Minho commented as he looked at her intently. “Do you really want one of them is the prankster?” he laughed.

“No, I don’t mean that. Well, I mean, if I can find the prankster, it’ll be easier to me to ask the intention of doing this to me.” She replied, that was when they already got their tickets. “I’m sure it’s just a joke, so I won’t take it as a big problem, and I will forget it soon.”

“Wow, you really plan everything.” Minho awed her. “You’re scary.” She laughed to hear that. Was it a compliment or not?

“Of course, since I’ve thought of many possibilities.” She told him. “You know I’ll be always worried about everything. It’ll be good for me if I can solve this problem sooner.”

“I know.” He chuckled. “But, you need to stop thinking about many possibilities or else you will get headache.” He reminded her.

She didn’t listen to him as she asked again,”Do you think it’s one of people who I called days ago with Taehyun’s phone?”

“You called people with Taehyun’s phone?” Minho looked confused as he knitted his eyebrows together. O-oh, yes, he didn’t have any clue about this.

“Well, yeah..” she needed to explain everything from the beginning. “Well, Taehyun asked for my helps to make his hardcore fans stop calling him. I just helped him out, I answered every call with different voice and act like different people. And then they didn’t call Taehyun again since they thought the number was taken by other people.”

Minho didn’t give any reaction at first, since she talked too fast. But, right then he laughed. “That’s really a good work!” Minho exclaimed. “This is the thing that you didn’t want to tell me last night?” he elbowed her playfully.

“Yes, it is.” She laughed awkwardly.

“Why don’t you tell me? It’s a good work. You can make a new job for that.” He said. “I can imagine the poster ‘to fool around people by calling them with different voices’. Hey, it’s great!”

 “Yah, Song Minho! Don’t fool around!”

He was still laughing that she was worried he would die because of his laughter. “I’m joking, I’m joking. Heck, you need to take it slow. Don’t be that frustrated. It’ll be okay.” He patted her back. “And about those Taehyun’s fans, I don’t think they did it. Do they really know you as Taehyun’s older sister?”

She let out a sigh. “They know Taehyun has a sister, but no, they don’t know anything about me and my job.”

“So you can feel relieved, then. It’s not them, I’m 100% sure.” He said. “No one realizes you and Taehyun fool people with the calls, right?”

“Well, no.” she replied. Yes, she didn’t need to worry about Taehyun’s fans. They wouldn’t do things like these to her. They didn’t know her secret shared with Taehyun. As long as the secret was still a secret, no one would know. Taehyun wouldn’t tell other people anyway.

“No need to be too worried, then!” Minho said positively. She tried to smile. She shouldn’t be this worried, right? Probably it was just a message that wasn’t meant to be sent to her. The person must be getting a wrong number.

He put his hand around her shoulder. “Shall we enjoy the movie?” he smiled.

She nodded enthusiastically. “Sure.”

 

 

Since they barely spent time together like this, today was really a happy day for her. Minho looked like he enjoyed it, too. After watching the movie, they went to amusement park and tried some rides there. They even went to try the roller coaster. Even though it was a little bit scary for her, she really enjoyed it. That was one of good experiences she ever had in life. And it was more fun since Minho was with her.

“Having fun today?” Minho asked her on the way to her home.

She smiled slightly. “Yes. Thanks to you.”

“No, I should thank you. I barely have fun like this.” Minho replied. “I always and always draw. Don’t you think I should have time like this sometimes?” he laughed.

She nodded. Minho worked in a visual design company. She just found it out a week after he met her again eight months ago. Well, she had known Minho long time ago. It was in their college days. Minho happened to be one of her classmates. They got along so well at that time and they had dated. It wasn’t that long that after a year, they broke up. They barely met for almost four years. Eight months ago was the first time after years they met again. Yes, Minho came back to her life once again, as a good friend. She did remember the days when they were together as a couple, but being with him now just reminded her of their college days, before they started dating. It was nice to remember, though.

“Tomorrow is Monday.” She heard him mumbled. She glanced at him and laughed.

“What’s with Monday?” she asked him.

“Working.” He answered. “I just remember I have a design that I haven’t finished.”

“You should go home now and work on it, then.” She told him.

“You’re right.” He sighed as they finally arrived in front of her home. They were staring at each other’s face as he spoke,“I guess, I should go now?” he asked.

She nodded. “You should.” She giggled. “Thank you for today.”

He just smiled widely. “Can we go often together like this?”

“On weekends? Sure. I’ll be very glad to go together with you.” She answered. She realized going to such places made her refresh herself. She really enjoyed the time when she met many people. She liked to listen every person’s voice she heard in the crowd. Jinwoo always told her to listen to every sound she heard. It would be very fun and made her enthusiastic. It was really true. She felt so enthusiastic to go to office tomorrow and started to dub like usual.

“I take that as a promise.” Minho chuckled and so did she. He patted her shoulder. “Good night. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Good night.”

She nodded as she saw him walking away. It was always like this. Minho walked her home, and she saw him walking away. And finally they would meet again tomorrow, even though it was just for having lunch or dinner together. She always met him everyday. No, she didn’t say that she didn’t like that idea. She was so glad to have Minho beside her. He was a good friend. The truth was everything he did for her now reminded her of her past. Well, the past.

Someone was used to walk her home like Minho did now.

“Is that your college friend?” she was all surprised when she heard her mom asking. Her mom was already standing behind her, looking at the same direction where Minho walked away.

“Y-yes, mom.” She answered, stuttering. Her mom nodded and smiled slightly. “Did mom stand there all the time?” she felt a bit curious.

Her mom laughed. “I just came here when I heard people talking in front of my door.” Mom answered. “I just thought it must be you. Taehyun had come back home two hours ago.”

“He’s home already? Doesn’t he go with his assistant to the publisher?” she asked her mom. All she knew that was her little brother was going to see the publisher of his new webtoon. He was so happy when he told her about that idea this morning. She didn’t think Taehyun would come home early. She thought it would take many times to see the publisher. So, actually it wasn’t?

“No, he said other people will take care of it.” Her mom replied.

She nodded and smiled after knowing the reason. “Let’s go inside, mom.”

“Why don’t you introduce him to me?” with this question from her mom, she realized her mom was still talking about Minho.

She stopped on her tracks. “Introduce him to you? Minho?”

“Oh, that’s his name?” her mom looked so enthusiastic to know this fact. It was weird to see that flickers in her mom’s eyes. Something was wrong.

“Why should I introduce him to you, mom?” she knew it was getting serious if mom wanted to meet one of her friends like this. “I mean, u-uh, he’s just a friend of mine.”

Her mom hissed. “You used to introduce your friends to me. Remember your Math course friends in high school? I know all of them, you brought them home when you were having a task. And when you were in college, I know some of your best friends who kept coming whenever you guys were on holiday. I know all of them, and why don’t you introduce me to your friend earlier?” her mom reasoned and nudged her.

Her mom was right. Mom knew most of her friends. She always let her mom knowing all her friends. And why didn’t she let her mom know about Minho? Well, she just thought it was not the right time. But, it was no use if she lied to her mom. So…

“He’s my ex-boyfriend back in college days.” She told her mom.

“Oh, really?” mom looked a bit surprised.

“But, I haven’t introduced him to you.” She laughed awkwardly. At that time she was afraid to reveal her relationship with Minho since her mom just asked her to study hard at the college and to not dating. “We just dated for a year.”

“I haven’t seen him before?” her mom asked.

She shook her head. “Nope. He hasn’t come here before and he hasn’t met you.”

“After breaking up with that guy, you met Seunghoon, is that right?”

That name, again.

That name had been mentioned twice in this week by her brother and mother. Why did they have to bring up about that name again?

“Y-yes. It was when I met him.” She felt weird to talk about Seunghoon again. She thought she was already okay if that name was mentioned again in front of her, but all she felt was hurt, still.

It still hurt.

Her mom looked at her intently, not realizing her hurt expression. “Why don’t you try to have a new relationship with this ex-boyfriend of yours? Minho, isn’t it, his name?”

She shook her head. “We’re just friends now, mom. Nothing more than that.”

“Well, you will never know.” Her mom told her. “Someday you will finally find a guy you will marry. If it’s not Seunghoon, it’s maybe this Minho? You will never know.” Her mom smiled and patted her back.

“Mom...”

“I just hope my only daughter will find her real soul mate soon.” Her mom smiled sweetly. “Let’s go inside. Taehyun is waiting for us.”

 

 

 

She was lying if she told people she didn’t think about that prank message again. It still bothered her. Not because that message coming again, it was just because she was so dead curious. She didn’t believe the idea that the message coming because the sender got a wrong number. She was sure the sender really meant it, to send her the message. But, the question now was who exactly the sender was? She had tried to call the number, but the number couldn’t be reached since the day she got the message. How couldn’t she think about it as a prank?

“How can you lose it?” that was all she heard before she entered the room. Jinwoo was looking seriously at Hanbyul who was looking down at the floor. Hey, what’s happening?

“I’m really sorry, Jinwoo ssi.” Hanbyul sounded so regretted. “I don’t mean to lose it, but...”

“Do you have another copy of it?” Jinwoo cut her words.

“W-well, I d-don’t.”

 “Sunbae, what’s happening?” she stormed into the room. She was totally confused seeing this argument between Jinwoo and Hanbyul. Jinwoo glanced at her and slowly pointed at Hanbyul.

“Hanbyul just lost the script for today’s recording.”

She widened her eyes in surprise. “What? How come?” she turned and saw Hanbyul. All Hanbyul did was looking down at the floor. Hanbyul looked so gloomy.

“My laptop, I don’t know what had happened, but, I lost all the data in it. And the script, I haven’t saved them in USB. And I haven’t printed them either.” Hanbyul’s voice was shaking.

“You all know today’s the last recording for that last episode of dorama, right?” Jinwoo looked at Hanbyul and then at her. “We have no much time to do it. The TV station staff will take the recording today at 4 pm. If we don’t do the recording now, we surely can’t make it and give the recording this evening.”

Jinwoo didn’t say it in angry tone, but it really expressed his disappointment. She couldn’t blame him for that, but Hanbyul looked sadder than before.

“I’m really sorry, Jinwoo ssi.” Hanbyul said, almost whispering.

“That’s okay.” Jinwoo messed up his own hair. “I’ll go get some coffee.” He said it before he went outside the room.

Hanbyul let out a heavy sigh as Jinwoo’s gone. “What should I do, eonni? I mess up everything.” Hanbyul covered her face with her palms and started to sob. “Jinwoo ssi is really mad at me.”

She patted Hanbyul’s arm. “It’s okay, Hanbyul. It’s not your fault. We have to be ready if something like this happened. Don’t blame yourself.” She tried to make Hanbyul feel calm.

Hanbyul was crying behind her palms. “It’s all my fault.”

She shushed. “No, it’s not your fault.” She said it again as she hugged Hanbyul. “Don’t ever think it’s your fault, okay?” Hanbyul nodded but still cried. When Hanbyul stopped crying, she tried to ask carefully. “How could that happen to your laptop? How could you lose the data?”

Hanbyul wiped the tears with a tissue. “I don’t really know, eonni, I just left my laptop for 20 minutes. I had breakfast with Hanbin oppa in the cafe opposite the office. When I got back, all the data were gone.”

She raised an eyebrow. Something was weird. “How could that happen?”

“I don’t know.” Hanbyul sounded more frustrated. “But, my laptop is fine, there is no virus or error. How could the data vanish?”

She blinked. No error, but data gone? Hey, she never knew something like this, but all she could think was the laptop must be having some destruction inside its components. But, it was really weird if all the data were lost.

“Can I see your laptop, Hanbyul?”

Hanbyul nodded and quickly went outside and a minute later, came back with laptop. Hanbyul gave it to her. “Here it is, eonni.”

She didn’t see any destruction. The programs ran properly. The screen was in good condition. Hanbyul’s laptop was really fine. It was still a big question how the data gone. She checked the recycle bin and found nothing. So, things in this place were gone, too. “Did you leave your laptop in sleep mode?” she asked Hanbyul.

“No, I’ve shut it down.” Hanbyul answered.

“Did you set the passwords?” she asked again.

“Yes, eonni, although I know no one will use my laptop without my permission. I’ve set the passwords since the day I bought it.”

“Does anyone know the passwords?” Heck, she couldn’t stop asking. She was really curious about this.

“No, no one knows. Even Hanbin oppa doesn’t know anything.”

This is weird.

She did really have a suspicious mind, but this time she really couldn’t stop herself of thinking so.

Somebody had planned this. Somebody had set this up. Somebody was up to not good.

Oh my, what is really happening here?

“I’ll help you to get the scripts back, don’t worry.” She told Hanbyul, smiling. She shouldn’t tell Hanbyul things she herself wasn’t really sure of. She needed to find out the things later. “We still can do the recording and the TV station can still air this last episode.”

 

 

At last, they had done the recording for the last episode and the staff from TV station had finally come and took the recording. It was a relief that finally they could do well, but still, Hanbyul still regretted about what had happened and promised to Jinwoo not to make the same mistake again. Jinwoo gladly took the promise and told Hanbyul that he was not angry so Hanbyul didn’t need to feel so sorry. After that apologizing, Hanbyul went home with Hanbin. There were only she and Jinwoo in the room. Ah, we could count Kang Seungyoon also if he wanted it, too. The guy was sitting peacefully with that headphone on his head.

“Don’t you think something was strange, sunbae?” she asked Jinwoo immediately after it was just her and Jinwoo, and, well, yeah, Seungyoon who still ignored all the people, in the room. She was eating a chocolate cake that was prepared by other staff for her. Anyway, she always had this chocolate cake every time she finished her recording sessions. The cake was so delicious. She always liked chocolate cakes.

Jinwoo who was drinking water looked a bit shocked to hear the question. “What?” he almost choked on his water.

“Something’s strange, right? About what had happened today.”

“About the scripts? Well, it never happened before. Hanbyul never did something like this. Actually she always prints all the scripts in the morning, so nothing should be worried about.” Jinwoo said simply. He looked at her interestingly. “Why? Do you think something’s peculiar?”

“Well, I can’t lie to you, sunbae.” She laughed awkwardly. She had finished eating. The cake was so delicious to the point she wanted to eat it again. Well, she needed to wait until tomorrow.

Jinwoo chuckled. “What is it?”

She pulled her chair closer to Jinwoo’s. “About that lost scripts...” she whispered.

“You don’t need to whisper,” Jinwoo cut her off, laughing. He pointed at Seungyoon. “Seungyoon is here with us. I think he should know about this, too.”

She frowned and glanced at Seungyoon who was now folding his hands in front of his chest and closing his eyes, like sleeping. She sneered at him. He won’t hear this, though. “I don’t think Seungyoon ssi is listening to us, sunbae.” She looked back at Jinwoo.

“Why not? Seungyoon always listens.” Jinwoo said, as if it explained everything.

She was confused to hear Jinwoo’s words but later she just continued to tell Jinwoo all she knew. “I think someone just set this up, sunbae.”

Jinwoo widened his eyes. “What are you talking about?”

“Hanbyul left her laptop shut down and she had set the passwords that no one ever knew. But, how come the data were gone from her laptop suddenly? Anyway, she just left her laptop for breakfast this morning. It took time no more than 20 minutes until she got back.” She told her senior.

Jinwoo blinked in confusion. “So, what are you going to say is that there is someone who used Hanbyul’s laptop and deleted the files?”

“Exactly!” she exclaimed. Jinwoo was so genius to get her point that fast. She was so happy that he responded her.

“But...” Jinwoo sounded more confused,”if that is really true, how could the person get the passwords? You said it’s only Hanbyul who knows about it.”

It was like a thunder struck in the sky. She forgot about that point! How could the person get the password? How? Aish, this was so frustrating. How could she prove someone was doing it on purpose if she couldn’t have any evidences? She was so stupid to conclude everything this fast. She was so stupid, stupid, stup—

“Hanbyul won’t do such thing, will she?” Jinwoo asked.

“No! She won’t do this, sunbae!” she shook her hands. She was so sure Hanbyul wouldn’t do this. “Why did she do it herself if in the end she was the one who got the blame?”

Jinwoo nodded. “That makes sense.”

She sighed. “So, am I wrong to say someone set it up?” she looked at Jinwoo, embarrassed. She was really that confident to tell Jinwoo all her thoughts.

“I don’t blame you to think such possibility. I will do the same if I were you.” Jinwoo told her wisely. “But, think about it, if someone really set it up, what the advantages he will get? Is it fun to do something like this?”

That was true. What did the person get by doing this? But, hey, did the person really exist? Or it was just an error made by the laptop’s system? No, the data couldn’t delete themselves. This was really strange.

Her thought was interrupted as she got a message from Minho, telling he was already outside waiting for her to have dinner together.

“I think I should get going, sunbae.” She rose from her seat.

“Won’t you have dinner with me and Seungyoon?” Jinwoo asked her.

She smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry, sunbae, I already have a promise with someone.”

Jinwoo’s smile grew widely. “Who’s he? Is he your new boyfriend?” he smiled mysteriously.

She laughed to hear the question. “He’s just a friend.”

“Aw, really?” Jinwoo looked that happy. “Okay, then. You can go.”

“I’m leaving, sunbae.” She bowed at Jinwoo. She then glanced at Seungyoon who still looked like sleeping. She was sure he was already sleeping now. Then she thought it was okay not to say something to him. He wouldn’t hear, anyways. With that thought, she went to the door. Minho was waiting for her. She couldn’t make him waiting for so long.