Drinks and Walks

Please don't...

A/N: Hi Guys! I’m back with a new chapter! Yay :D Didn’t really notice that 2 weeks have gone by since I first uploaded this story O.O guess I had too much to do ^^; well whatever I hope you enjoy :)

I never would have thought that I would ever say this but…I feel like I’m stuck in one of those ‘awkward silence’ scenes from some bad drama. I mean  - seriously - since Jae Hyun and I left the house neither one of us has said a single word. Well, I just don’t know what to say after finding out that Jae Hyun, my crush, and Dasom, our childhood friend, are going to marry. Why did I even let Jae Hyun come with me instead of making up some of some excuse?

“Are you sure everything’s all right?” And of course he would start worrying again. “Yeah, I’m just still a bit shocked. I mean - I knew that you two love each other but I didn’t really see this coming. Especially not all of a sudden. By the way, how did the proposal happen?” That seems to convince him because he starts smiling at me. But…is this sadness I see in his eyes? No, that must have been my imagination.

“Well, actually it happened on our date yesterday. I ‘ve already been planning this since last month and I did all of that cliché proposal stuff with the ring in the glass, roses and all of that other stuff. I was so nervous I couldn’t even breathe and so I almost forgot what I wanted to say.”

I look at him incredulously “Are you serious?! You did something that uncreative? And it’s only six words - how could you have almost messed that up? I always thought you were cooler, but it seems our little Jae Hyun gets nervous in front of his girlfriend.” I start poking and teasing him. Jae Hyun starts blushing. “Shut up! I’m sure you wouldn’t be any better in this situation. Ah, look! We’re at the supermarket. “

And there he goes, running ahead. “Hey, don’t change the topic! Hey, Jae Hyun! Let’s go together! Aish.” And so I end up running after him. But I got to say I’m glad that the mood is so carefree again. Maybe it wasn’t so bad he came with me after all.

“So Jae Hyun, what should we buy for this special day?” I ask him. ”Hmm…how about some Soju and Beer?” I roll my eyes at him. “Oh come on that’s so boring. And do you remember what happened the first time we drank that?” Jae Hyun looks at me confused. “ What do you mean?”

 I don’t believe it. “Ya, I can’t believe you forgot about that. In High School we went for a drink together after you got like 10 points in an exam. You got so drunk you couldn’t even walk straight anymore. Then you almost got it going with some guys because you ran into them and I had to save your . I spend almost one hour trying to calm you and these guys down.”

While telling him this story I notice how Jae Hyun slowly starts remembering. “ Ah right. I had a very annoying Hangover the next day and you made Haejangguk (A/N: Hangover Soup for those who didn’t know ;)) for me. I was feeling so bad that day. For you as well, after all you took care of me the whole day together with Dasom.”

“At least you remember now.” I say with a little pout and look away. “You were always there for me and you have always been my best friend.” I turn around and look at Jae Hyun again. “Where does this suddenly come from? I know it’s true, but why do you say that now?” Jae Hyun smiles nervously for a moment and takes a deep breath. “Actually I had a reason to come with you. Another one besides Dasom’s phone call. Actually I need to talk to you.”

OK now I’m starting to get nervous as well. “Well that was pretty obvious, but what do you need to talk about with me? Spit it out already.”

“Yeah yeah. I actually got a request for you concerning the wedding…would you be my Best Man?”

Oh . ! That’s not what I expected. Ok I didn’t really expect anything and maybe it’s kind of obvious that Jae Hyun would want me to be his Best Man when I think about it for a moment but still…oh no I can’t do this. “Uh…Jae Hyun I’m really honored that you asked me but…I don’t know if I’m really the right person for this…”

“Oh come on In Gook  you just said it yourself that you’re my best friend and keep on helping me. There is no one better for this than you.”

“But I…”

“No objections I’ve made my decision. And you know exactly that I won’t let you go. I’ll keep getting on your nerves until you say yes. Even in your sleep if I need to.”

Hm. I’m seriously speechless. I just don’t know what to say. I know Jae Hyun well enough to know that he’d really wake me up in the middle of the night. That already happened to me before and of course I ended up doing what he wanted.

I sigh. “Ok ok I’ll be your Best Man. But keep me out of the other wedding preparations. You know I’m no good with this stuff.”

“Yes! I knew I would be able to convince you! And I promise that I won’t bother you with the other organizing stuff…I don’t know about Dasom though.” With that being said he winks at me and starts grinning and chuckling like an idiot.

“Oh thank you. Now stop grinning like an idiot, we still need to buy drinks. I can’t think of anything better than Soju and Beer so we’ll just take that. But I think we should by some Maeshilju for Dasom as well, she likes this sweet stuff after all.”

Jae Hyun laughs at me and replies “Ok ok don’t get angry. Let’s do that. Oh and you should pay, this was your idea after all.”

“I know and I will so can we go back now please? I’m starting to get the feeling that I want to get drunk.”

“All right, let’s go!”

On our way back the mood is as good as it has always been. We’re joking and kidding around, not caring about people giving us strange looks. At home Dasom already waits for us and the drinks. “What took you guys so long? Did you already start drinking without me? I could already hear you laughing five minutes ago.” Jae Hyun and I look at each other and can’t help but burst out laughing, causing Dasom to pout. Still laughing we all go in together to start our celebration.

“Dasom can you get some glasses for us? We bought Maeshilju for you and Soju and Beer for us if that’s ok for you.”

“Sure, I’ll be back in a minute. And don’t you dare start drinking without me or making a joke on my account.”

“Yes Ma’am!” We say in unison. After looking at each other Jae Hyun and I start laughing again of course.

“Oh dear.” Dasom shakes her head and goes away. By the time she’s back we calmed down though.

“So, my Best Man, will you please say something before we start drinking?”

“Don’t tell me In Gook said yes?” Of course Dasom knew Jae Hyun was going to ask me that.

“Actually I kind of forced him but he said yes.”

“And I’m already regretting it. Ok guys get up your glasses. I don’t really know what to say but…congrats on your marriage. I’m really happy for you guys. But don’t forget about me just because you will be married soon.” I hope that sounded convincing because I don’t feel like this at all. “Cheers!”

“Cheers!”

And so we start drinking and talking about all kinds of things we experienced together. I manage to keep a happy façade all the time and actually enjoy myself. But then Dasom sits on Jae Hyuns lap and they start cuddling. That’s when my heart starts aching again. Why do they have to do that in front of me? I can’t take it anymore, I need to go out for a while.

“Hey Guys, I’ll leave you alone for some time. I need to go out for a bit.”

Jae Hyun looks at me confused and disappointed. “What do you mean? I thought we’d celebrate all together. And this was your idea all along.”

“Yeah I know, but look at you two. I just want to give you some time alone. And I really need some fresh air myself. Don’t worry I won’t get into any trouble. I’m a grown up man and can take care of myself.” I wink at them one last time and go out without another word. I can hear Jae Hyun call my name again but I don’t turn around. I couldn’t because then I would have to explain why I’m crying and that would be impossible. I just go out as fast as possible and keep going and going until I reach a park that’s close to our house.

“Ha, we spend a lot of time here didn’t we, Jae Hyun? In all those years we went through so much together and started to understand each other better than anyone else. Of course Dasom was always there as well, but I always thought we were closer than you and her. But I guess I was wrong on that matter. Just like you didn’t understand how I feel about you. I don’t even know myself when I started feeling more for you than just for a friend or a brother. Just why don’t you know I love you?”

“Is he drunk? Screaming and crying like that in public. Aigoo, so crazy.”

I turn around ,shocked. There is a small group of Teenagers looking at me. Oh no, I didn’t just say that out loud, did I? Embarrassed I turn back around and keep going through the park, left alone with my tears and my depressed thoughts, not even noticing that I’d be gone now for the next three hours.

A/N: Wow this is actually way longer than I expected O.O haha the ideas just kept coming today :D tell me what you think about it ^^ and I don’t really know if there is something like a Best Man in Korea but I still included that XD c u guys *waves happily*