Chapter 6

Deal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara put on a calm face as they waited for the white Mercedes GL-Class to come to a stop at the hotel's porte-cochere. She smiled at the sight of her mother's delighted face through the passenger side window. Park Hye-young immediately opened the door and enveloped her daughter in a bear hug before the latter even had the chance to think.

"My sweet tokki. Oh how I've missed you." she said ecstatically as she crushed Dara further in her arms.

"Oh. Omma! I missed you too." Dara managed to choke out.

"How's my darling Santokki. My, my you've grown." Park Sean said with a smile on his face as she approached the mother and daughter. He stopped short when his wife failed to let go of his daughter. He eyed her and cleared his throat as a jokingly.  "Omma, may I borrow our darling girl for a minute?" He joked.

"Oh right, sorry." She smiled sheepishly and passed Dara over to her husband.

"My darling santokki, it's been so long. I've missed you." he said as he enveloped her in a tight hug.

"Hi appa. It's so good to see you." she replied as she hugged him back. She let go albeit rather apprehensively. 

Hye-young looked to the side and spotted Bom, "This must be the beautiful Bom. We've heard so much about you sweetheart." she smiled as she hugged her as well.

"It's nice to meet you Mrs. Park. Dara's told me so much about you too." Bom replied respectfully.

"Oh is that so, good things I hope?" she smiled at her again.

Bom gave her a tight smile in response.

"Hello Bom, welcome back to Korea." Sean said to Bom.

"Thank you Mr Park. It feels good to be back."

"Well what are we all standing around for? Let's get going already." Hye-young said after the greetings have ended. "Bom would you like to have dinner with us tonight?"

"Thank you for the offer but I have to decline Mrs. Park. I promised my parents I would go home tonight. I've already been back for a good four days now and I haven't even seen them yet." 

"Oh. Alright then."

"Actually, Omma I kind of told Bom we could drop her off at their place in Daegu. Would that be okay?" Dara said rather hesitantly.

"Of course dear. We can drop her off before we head home."

As Dara was about to reply, Bom talked for her "Kamsahamnida" she said as she bowed.

"Well, let's get going." 

 

The hotel staff helped them load their stuff into the car for which Sean gave them a very generous tip. The four of them piled into the car and soon they were on the road. Since it was Saturday, traffic wasn't that heavy in Seoul. They got out of the city around two and they made their way to Daegu. Dara couldn't help but admire the view as they drove along, sure there were things that she wanted to leave and forget in Korea but she still missed it all the same. The four years abroad did help ease the bitterness and resentment but she admits that there is no place like home. They were still bathed in comfortable silence until Hye-young started talking again.

 

"Bom Dara told me that you took up Management abroad as well. Is that your second degree?" 

"Uhh yes. I took up Fine arts at Seoul University but I thought a degree in Management would also help me build a stable future. My parents agreed because it meant I could help in the family business." Bom replied.

"Well that's wonderful. What business is your family into?"

"We own a few supermarkets around Daegu and we're into stocks as well."

"Hmm. Sounds promising. Hear that Dara, Bom took up management so she could be part of the family business."

Dara visibly stiffened and a look of anguish crossed her face for a second but she immediately covered it up with a smile as she started talking.

"Deh omma, I know that. Bom told me about everything. We're classmates and batchmates." She said in a condescending tone.

"I'm sorry dear. I'm just putting it out there."

 

Dara said nothing as she stared out the window again. She felt a tap on her arm so she looked at Bom who sat across from her.  Bom mouthed a quick 'sorry' to which she replied a silent 'it's alright'. She knew Bom didn't bring the topic up on purpose, the whole conversation was going there so she expected it, but that didn't mean she would no longer be bothered by it. She just hoped it would be forgotten at least until they get home. None of them initiated a conversation after that but Sean the radio so they avoided any more awkward silences.

They reached Daegu at around 5 in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter