Remember Her?

The WenRene Dumps

When Irene is alone, she tends to think about Wendy. Her best friend who remained by her side even after all of the mistakes that Irene had made. And every single time Wendy pops up into her mind, more scars appear in her heart and Irene feels like she's being torn apart. She feels like she's slowly dying but she's allowed to just barely live, so she can feel the pain that she had inflicted upon Wendy.

And every God damn day, she wants the girl back. She didn't care if Wendy was just a stranger that passed by her house everyday, she just wanted to be able to see the girl alive. But it seems that life decided that the day the Wendy died, was the day that Irene would be tortured.

Sometimes, she feels as if the pain will never fade. 

Even when she sleeps, the girl's gentle smiles and sweet laughter haunts her. It's agonizing yet it feels so real that Irene can't help but find pleasure in just being able to dream about the girl and as time goes by the pleasure diminishes and Irene is left with sleepless nights.

Was this her punishment for never giving Wendy attention, even when the girl obviously needed it? Was this all because of the way Irene treated Wendy?

Irene spends every day and night thinking of why she didn't just give Wendy the affection she deserved. Maybe it was because Irene was just stupid. 

Maybe it was because Irene didn't want Wendy to get attached to her.

She knew that if she allowed Wendy in, the girl would break down her walls. She would find out every dirty secret she had.

But now that Irene thinks about it, Wendy would accept her as a whole anyway.

And that makes it even worst. If Irene had just let Wendy in, then the girl would be cuddling up to her, singing a song in a quiet voice while Irene listened calmly and slowly fell asleep.

Now, she's left with memories of a beautiful girl. 

A girl who was perfect the way she was. A girl with an angelic voice.

Wendy.

Irene chokes on her tears as she remains at Wendy's grave. Now that Wendy's gone, she doesn't want to leave.

Her friends' words echo in her head and she should have listened to their warnings.

Don't let her out of your sight. She might slip away from you one day.

Irene takes out a piece of paper she had brought with her before and starts folding it.

When Wendy first moved into Irene's neighborhood, they used to send messages to each other by paper airplanes. Some of the planes didn't make it to the other window, but that didn't discourage them from sending even more.

Irene wonders when she lost the courage she had when she was younger.

Finally finishing the paper airplane, a tear falls from her eyes and lands on it before she gently throws it and watches as it glides through the air.

She turns around and starts to walk away when it descends and lands on the grass but feels something touch her arm and looks to her side. 

She finds another airplane.

Unfolding it, words are written in a familiar handwriting and she starts to cry as she reads the words.

I'll never leave you.

Irene is then reminded of the reason she fell for Wendy.

Because she never left her.