Impetuous Youngsters

Midnight Stories

The youngsters sat in mute silence as their lips met. Joohyun had her eyes widened in shock while Luhan pulled her closer and started to move his lips against hers. But it was only for a couple of seconds until Joohyun pushed Luhan away from kissing her and slapped him hard on his face. 

 

"What the hell were you doing?!" She yelled harshly as she stood up and wiped her lips with her palm. She was furious and Luhan could see the anger through her eyes. 

 

"How dare you to put your filthy lips against my lips!" She yelled again, clenching her fist. This time Luhan stood up to face her. His heart was pounding so hard as if it was going to explode anytime soon.

She took her hands in his and stared at Joohyun sharply in her eyes.

 

"Go out with me." Luhan said straightforwardly, his eyes piercing hers. However, Joohyun quickly released her hands from his grip and slapped his face once again in anger.

 

"The answer is no! You can't just kiss someone like that then ask them to go out with you." Joohyun said, her voice cracking like she was about to cry. She then turned her back to him as she started to walk away but Luhan caught her hand again and pulled her so she could face him once more.

Luhan frowned slightly when he saw her eyes were filled with tears. He didn't expect this and looked down at the ground, absolute guilt spreading over his features.

 

"Just stay away from me... I hate someone like you..."

Luhan glanced up at Joohyun's crying face, tears cascading down her cheeks.

And with that, Joohyun left him stood frozen, staring at her back guiltily. He knew he shouldn't have kissed her but he couldn't help it. His attraction for Joohyun grew every second he spent with her. He was in love, deeply in love with her.

 

The rest of their school assignment that night went very awkward between both of them. They didn't speak to each other and when they got to work together, they just did it in silence. Luhan was still feeling guilty towards her while Joohyun just simply angry. She wanted to punch him in the face everytime she saw him. She hated him. God knows how much she hated him.

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

 

"Lady Joohyun, you have been rinsing your mouth for the third times already." Minjoo said from behind, watching her Young Lady rinsing her mouth in front of the wastafel like a mad girl. Joohyun tried to erase the taste of their kiss that still lingered in her mouth. It was her first kiss and she didn't even like it. Not sure if she didn't like the kiss or she didn't like the person who kissed her or both.

 

"That jerk!" Joohyun spit out, leaving the bathroom with the old woman followed her from behind.

 

"Who is it?" The old woman asked. Curious about the guy who made her Young Lady so furious.

 

"I don't want to talk about it." Joohyun said lazily, taking out her school uniform from her walk-in closet.

 

A moment later, Mr. Seo entered the room with a small box in his hands. Joohyun who was done changing to her school uniform happily gave him a hug. Minjoo bowed and left the two of them alone inside the room.

 

"Daddy!" Joohyun exclaimed and kissed her father on his cheek with a wide smile all over her pretty face. The cold-hearted girl turned to a little kid when she's with her father.

 

"Joohyun." Mr. Seo gave her daughter a serious look as they sat side by side on the bed. Joohyun somehow knew what was her father going to tell her. He was going to tell her about her mother. She knew it.

 

"I think it's time for me to tell you everything about your mother." Mr. Seo softly said, handing over the box he was holding to Joohyun.

 

"Open it." Mr. Seo ordered and Joohyun quickly opened the box excitedly.

She found a wedding picture of her father and her mother and some pictures of her mother alone. There was only one picture of her mother and her father together and that was their wedding picture. Her mother was wearing a sleeveless wedding dress that hugged her petite body perfectly with her arm slid her father's arm. She looked gorgeous. But there was something strange about the picture, only her father who looked happy while her mother looked gloomy. She didn't smile and her appearance was somewhat downcast. Joohyun knew why her mother's expression was like that on her own wedding day.

 

"Minjoo has told me about your bad dream and that you finds out about the room in Choi mansion." Mr. Seo said. His expression faltered.

 

"My mother, she loved her own brother and both of them committed suicide inside that room. I know dad. I know." Joohyun replied with the sadness that was evident in her voice. Mr. Seo quickly held her in a tight embrace, placing her head close to his chest. 

 

"Do you hate her?" He asked softly, stroking her long wavy hair.

 

"No." Joohyun said, shaking her head.

 

"But I hate her brother who asked her to run away together leaving my father alone." She whispered, looking up at her father sadly. She clearly didn't have any idea that her real father was actually her mother's brother whom she hated with a passion. Mr. Seo didn't have the heart to tell her the truth.

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

 

Finally, the last day of Luhan and Joohyun's community service hours had arrived. Joohyun was more than pleased to know that she wouldn't have to see Luhan again after this day but for Luhan, he felt as if this day was the worst day of his life. He cherished every second he spent with her on the last day, he didn't care that Joohyun hadn't spoken to him again since that night he kissed her. Joohyun was more like a zombie when she was with him but it was still better for him than not seeing her at all even for one day.

Luhan was sitting on a hospital chair, watching Joohyun as she read a patient stories from a story book when suddenly he thought about what she said that night on the window sill in Choi mansion.

A wide grin crossed his face as an idea popped into his head.

 

"Thank you very much, Ms. Seo. We will be missing you in this place. You're such a lovely lady." An old nurse said to Joohyun as they stood near the exit. Joohyun just gave her a small smile and bowed to her before she descend towards the exit.

 

"Why do I feel sad leaving all the patients at the hospital?" She mumbled as she walked to her car.

Without her knowledge, Luhan had been following her from behind, watching her every step on the ground secretly.

When Joohyun reached her car, Luhan took this opportunity to leap between her and her car, barring the car door with his body. Joohyun gasped and her angry look appeared on her face as Luhan held both of her arms.

 

"What are you doing? Let me go!" Joohyun said, trying to release herself from his grip.

 

"Lets have a deal." Luhan said as he looked into her eyes, piercing his gaze on her pretty eyes. Joohyun tilted her head and frowned, not knowing what he meant by that.

 

"Give me one week and I'll help you to have a good night sleep every night. I'll tell you stories from midnight and at the end of the week you must go out with me." Luhan said firmly then he let go both of her arms. Joohyun thought hard and looked down at the ground. There was no way she wanted to spend another one week with him but on the other hand she desperately needed to sleep well without afraid of having a bad dream. Despite the absurdity of the story she found herself agreeing to his deal.

Sighing, she lifted her head to face Luhan again and gave him a small nod causing him to let out a grin.

 

"But.." Joohyun started, stopping Luhan from grinning.

 

"But we do it inside the room in Choi mansion." Joohyun said, crossing her arms together. Luhan stared at her confusedly, he didn't understand why she wanted to go back to that creepy house but then the thought of being with her alone in the dim room made him smiled like crazy. His mind started to play the wildest thought that he could ever imagined. 

"What are you thinking, weirdo?" Joohyun asked, eyeing him weirdly. She couldn't believe that this weirdo even kissed her a few nights ago. For her it was a complete slap in the face.

She cleared her throat before she continued.

 

"And there's one more. I'll go out with you for only one week."

Luhan's expression fell flat and he took a moment to think.

 

"So?" Joohyun asked, snapping him out of his thoughts. Luhan looked at her again and he let out another grin before saying.

 

"Agree, but what if you fall for me within one week?" 

 

"You wish." Joohyun said, giving him her usual cold stare before she pushed him away from her car door and stepped inside the car.

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

 

Taeyeon was frozen in her seat, staring at her auntie in complete shock as her face became pale at the sudden news that her auntie just gave to her. She tried to open her mouth but she couldn't find the words.

 

"Now you know why I hate your cousin so much. Her parents were sinners who had a forbidden relationship. She doesn't have the right to be the only heiress to all the fortune in my family." Her evil auntie said with so much hate clouding her eyes. 

 

"You must help me to destroy her Taeyeon. You are the right one who deserves all the fortune." Her auntie continued on, giving the younger girl her a smirk but much to her surprise, Taeyeon raised from her seat and said.

 

"I am sorry but I don't even want to have anything to do with all of you. So what if Seo Joohyun isn't my uncle's real daughter? I don't care. I don't care about her and I don't need all the fortune."

And just like that, she was gone, leaving her evil auntie dumbfounded.

She clenched her fist angrily and stared outside the window of her apartment and a smirk slowly reapeared from her face as she thought about an idea to destroy her niece.

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

 

It was only a half an hour before midnight and Joohyun found herself stood in front of the main door of Choi mansion again. Now that she came to know that her mother used to live there, she didn't find the place looked too scary anymore.

She slowly pushed the door open and quickly turned on her flashlight but then something caught her eyes as she flashed her flashlight to the open door just across the livingroom. She stared at it for a moment before she dragged herself towards the open door.

Stepping inside, she found so many books that scattered around the floor that was when she realized that she was inside a used to be an office. She took out a candle from inside her backpack and lit them before she placed them on a desk.

 

"I can find something about my mother and her family inside this room." Joohyun talked to herself as she started to pull some documents and note books from the drawers. The first thing that caught her attention was a picture of a couple smiling happily next to each other with the girl hugging the guy's arm.

Joohyun dropped her backback on the floor and sat behind the desk, she found some more pictures of the couple in different dresses. She looked at the writing behind the photo, it says 'Choi Luhan and Lee Yoona, 1995.' But in some pictures only the girl who seemed happy and the guy only gave a small smile.

 

"Choi Luhan. He must be my uncle whom my mother loved to death." She mumbled irately. This guy reminded her of the jerk who kissed her and he even shared the same name as his. She didn't care that he's her uncle, because of him her mother committed suicide and left her motherless.

There was other picture that cought her attention, a picture of the couple with two other people whom she didn't know. Her mother wasn't present in the picture. The couple were standing side by side next to each other with other couple who looked around their ages stood beside them with arms around each other. She flipped the photo and saw another writing, it says 'Choi Luhan and Lee Yoona with Im Man Hee and Kim Minsoo.'

 

"Who are these people?" She mumbled again as she raised an eyebrow.

Joohyun put the photos back inside the drawer before she wore her backpack and walked away from the room. She took a quick look at her wristwatch with her flashlight before she went upstairs.

 

"It's only 10 minutes before midnight and that jerk hasn't showed off." She said, gritting her teeth.

As Joohyun walked through the dark hallway she couldn't help but felt that someone was following her from behind. She gulped hard and didn't stop walking with her trembling hand holding the flashlight. Fear took over her when she felt a cold rush swept through her body. Spinning around, there was nobody behind her but when she turned her back again.

 

"Aahhh!" She screamed as Luhan suddenly appeared in front of her and shone his flashlight upwards across his face, making him looked so scary in the dark.

 

"Jerk! That wasn't funny!" Joohyun shouted angrily and put her hand on her chest.

 

"Sorry.. but this was so fun." Luhan replied with a laugh. Now he knew why Sehun enjoyed doing these things to his friends. It was really fun.

Joohyun glared at him and kicked his leg before she continued to walk.

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

 

The evil auntie sat inside her car in front of Choi mansion and a devilish grin formed on her face. She spotted Joohyun walked inside the house and not long after, a guy around her age walked inside the house as well.

 

"Interesting. The future heiress of SH Group who is still underage walked inside an abandoned house with a guy in the middle of the night. What will Chairman Seo Hoon and all the sharesholders say about this?" She smiled evilly.

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

 

Luhan stood inside the dim room that only had a small light from three candles around the room and stared at Joohyun strangely as she changed the bedsheet and the blanket from the large bed with the clean bedsheet and blanket that she brought inside her backpack.

 

"You're serious about sleeping inside this creepy room." Luhan commented, giving her unpleasant look.

 

"Shut up and just lit more candles." Joohyun retorted. She didn't bother to take a glance at him and just did her thing.

 

"Do you even know that years ago a couple committed suicide on that bed?" Luhan pointed at the bed, fear was clear on his features. 

Joohyun spun around and faced him.

 

"So?" Joohyun asked lazily.

 

"So?" Luhan scoffed.

 

"I can't believe I even asked this girl out." Luhan muttered under his breath and luckily Joohyun couldn't hear anything from inside his mouth just now.

 

"What did you say?" She asked irritatedly.

 

"I-it's nothing." Luhan smiled his perfect smile and Joohyun quickly looked away. There was something about his smile that gave her this tingling sensation that spread through her body and she didn't like it.

 

"Weirdo." Joohyun murmured and looked at a backpack that Luhan was holding. He put his backpack on a chair near him and took out some books from inside it.

 

"What are those?" Joohyun asked, walking over to him. 

 

"Story books." Luhan answered, showing her the books in his hands.

There was a stillness between them as they stood close to each other. Instead of looking at the books, Joohyun stared at the guy in front of her wordlessly. She didn't realise that she was immersed in his stares. Luhan took in the depths of her eyes and loved the way she looked at him.

Joohyun quickly shifted her gaze to her side as she started to feel uncomfortable. She cleared her throat before saying.

 

"Okay, lets get started. Tell me your midnight stories."

Joohyun came over to the bed and sat on it, leaning her back against the pilllow. She then gestured Luhan to sit on the bed across from her.

Luhan gave her a look that clearly told her that he absolutely didn't want to sit on that bed. Just thinking about it gave him a cool shudder that trickled down his spine.

 

"No way, Man." Luhan said, shaking his head vigorously. Joohyun rolled her eyes and she grew impatient.

 

"Just get your butt over here." Joohyun said as she pulled Luhan to the bed by his arm. He sat on it in horror, Joohyun could tell that he wasn't comfortable.

 

"Relax man, it's only a bed." Joohyun said coaxingly, flicking the hair out of her face. Luhan could feel his heart raced at the view before him. She was so pretty. God knows how much he wanted to capture her lips with his at that moment.

Luhan swallowed hard and turned his attention to the books in his hand.

 

"I brought three different books. Romance, Horror and Tragedy, which one do you like me to read you first?" Luhan asked, showing her the books. Joohyun paused for a moment before she decided.

 

"Tragedy." 

 

"Okay." Luhan said, flashing her the same smile that gave Joohyun another tingling sensation that ran through her body.

She gulped and looked at other direction.

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

 

Yoona was awakened by a loud commotion that came from inside her house. With her sleepy eyes, she glanced idly at the clock on her bedside table. It was only 2am. She let her head fell back on her pillow and continued to sleep.

But suddenly another loud commotion was heard and this time it was louder and she could hear a screaming from downstairs. She spilled from her bed and wore her robe before she ran down the stairs. Her heart raced, she was afraid that something might happened to her parents.

As she reached the first floor of her house, she heard her uncle's voice from inside the livingroom. Yelling and screaming. She sighed, it was only her uncle but something wasn't right, her loving uncle just screamed like a lunatic inside her house at 2am in the morning. Just as she was about to take a step back to the stairs she heard something that made her froze in her spot. She just heard something terrible that made her mind went blank and her body grew weak.

 

"It's impossible.." She whispered, her body trembling. She could easily faint at that moment.

 

"No...." She whispered again, clutching the staircase railing for support.

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

 

"The end." Luhan ended the first story with him closing the book in his hands. Joohyun had a blank stare before she looked at Luhan with a frown.

 

"What in the world did you read me just now?" Joohyun asked, staring at him with her mouth slightly open.

 

"A story." Luhan simply replied, shrugging his shoulders slightly. 

 

"That's just stupid." Joohyun said as she crossed her arms and rested her back again against the pillow.

 

"What's stupid?" Luhan asked, narrowing his eyes questioningly.

 

"Their families were against their relationship but the couple were like 'I can't live without you' then when their families told them that they were actually sibling, they decided to hang themselves together in the attic of the girl's house. Near the end of the story, the truth was revealed that they were not sibling, their families just told them that so they would stop seeing each other. The story ended with both families immersed in the sadness upon losing their precious child. It's just stupid. The couple and the families were stupid." Joohyun explained. Luhan chuckled and put the book aside.

 

"That's why it's called tragedy." He responded with a smile.

 

"I can't understand some couples who choose to end their lives together when their love were against by many people. There are still so many fishes in the ocean." Joohyun added, rolling her eyes.

 

"We can't understand about these things Seohyun because we never felt such overwhelming love like that. They killed themselves because they loved each other to death." Luhan said, scooting closer to her.

 

"If that's the case, then I don't want to fall in love." Joohyun replied quietly.

 

"I think love comes unexpectedly. We can't choose with whom we fall in love with. It just happens and we can't run away from it." Luhan said, staring at Joohyun with loving eyes.

'Like I feel towards you.' Luhan thought.

Joohyun didn't notice his loving eyes as she looked down at her lap sadly. She thought about her mother.

 

"Then love sucks." Joohyun said hoarsely. The story reminded her of her mother who killed herself with the one she loved and she hated it.

 

"No, love is not suck. It's actually wonderful to have that kind of feelings towards someone." Luhan said honestly, his eyes never left her.

 

"Like you feel towards the owner of the bracelet? You even bother to look for her bracelet inside this dark mansion alone without flashlight." Joohyun said, gazing blankly at the corner of the room. She didn't know why she felt unhappy that this guy in front of her whom she hated was liking someone else.

 

"I used to think like that about her but I just realized that what I feel towards her is only infatuation. I like her. I really do but I think I feel something stronger about someone else." Luhan said quietly, his eyes were still busy staring at the girl who sat close to him on the bed. Joohyun frowned at what he said just now and averted her gaze to Luhan who was still staring at her with those loving eyes.

Joohyun felt uncomfortable and started to stir in her seat.

 

"I love you." 

Joohyun was busy avoiding his gaze when suddenly she heard those words came from his mouth. Her eyes widening, she stared at him flabbergasted.

 

"Don't you get it? That's why I asked you out, that's why I kissed you that night. I'm not some kind of jerk who just kiss any girl randomly. I know this is crazy, we have known each other for only three weeks but this is real." Luhan added and reached for her hand.

 

"I love you." He repeated and slowly he leaned his face closer to the flabbergasted Joohyun.

But then, they turned their heads quickly to the door direction as they heard the sound of sharp footsteps approaching from outside the room.

 

______________________________________________________________________