I Love You

For Whatever It Is To Be Us (L)

As we stood face-to-face and one foot apart, I couldn't help but speak. 

"I can't stop thinking about you-- about us and I hate that I can't just give it away... " 

He rubbed his hands for the cold was finally sinking into our skin. ".. You're the one that left me and left yourself without closure." 

"Because you didn't know how to love me." 

Then there was silence. 

"I'll get the car." Taemin mumbled. 

------------------------------------------------------

We arrived at my place in the evening and Taemin stopped at the park.

"Why do I have to be perfect to be with you?" Taemin finally spoke in anger. 

"You have to treat me right." I turned to the window. "I never said you weren't perfect either." 

He took my hand, "Then put me on hold when you call, don't answer until the next day to my texts, leave me waiting out your door wondering myself when you'll answer, or even reply slyly to my confessions of love."

I pulled my hand away. "You're being weird." 

"No, I'm just finally being honest." 

I turn to him and his face is flushed. He was asking me willingly to be the bad one. 

"If I could, I would." I said softly. 

He sighed. "You know how we read this stupid sob story in English literature?"

"I think so... The one where she died?" 

"Mm. After marriage, the couple became two-faced. In public, they would serve the community together and at night, they would watch T.V. together. Time continued to pass and the schedules they made suddenly distanced themselves apart. The husband felt bored and destructive which made his wife miserable, but she stayed. Even when she was tired and doubtful one night to the next, she would wait and welcome him home. Then at his worst, where he was drunk and lost in the city, she found him at a crossroad. Although he was heavy and scolding her for what he had become, she just punched him in the face. The next morning, he woke up to her smile, wearing the most beautiful dress. For that whole day, the wife showered him with confessions of love and they just conversed into the night. After a while, the phone rang and the wife was sleeping, the husband answered and he slid down the wall. He dropped the phone and ran to his wife. He shook her and her eyes opened. She smiled and hugged him tightly and showered him with love. Due to all the stress he gave her, she started to forget." 

"You remembered all of that just to tell me it or..?" I looked at him weirdly again. 

"No, it's what kept me going all this time waiting for you. I don't want to waste time and be angry with you. I just want to make more memories and love you right." 

"Even if you say that, we are both working and you know our schedules aren't going to match..."

"Then let's move in to a place together." Taemin leaned towards me and I laughed. 

"I want to continue what I do and I want you to do the same." 

"Fine. I'll wait. In the meantime, I'll set you aside." 

"Don't do that, stupid. You have always done that." I punched him. "It's like you didn't take anything else from that story. There's something that you clearly missed!"

I put my hand up. "If I'm going to be with you until I die, then make it official." 

I saw him scramble through his pocket and a clean silver ring with blue-crested diamonds shined through. 

"...Uhm. If uh-- you'd let me, will you make more memories with me even after you and I may forget?" 

It's bittersweet to stay with this indecisive man, but here I am. I don't think it matters to me anymore what others think because even before my preconceived notions of ideal lovers, I fell for him and that may never change. 

I may be hurt again, but what's it to myself to never have this feeling. 

"I love my sisters, but I love you in a way no one can explain. I promise to be better and unlike the story, I will never ever raise my hand at you." 

"...That's all I ask." 

He kisses me kindly and he starts the car. We pass by my house and I turn to him. "Is it dark?"

"Lovers don't just say goodnight after that." He winks at me. 

"Sly again!?"

 

 

 

The End.

A/N: You guys deserved closure.