Limits

I’m Not Afraid To Fall: [That Girl Is A Problem] Series

 


Limits


5:03pm

City lights barely grazed where they were stood - on a dirt footpath just out of shot of the noise pollution caused by a Tuesday rush hour. It had grown considerably dark already, and the amber light of a street light began to flicker on as the pair waited for a reason to either leave, or stay.

“You want to know me?” SanHa coughed a laugh in disbelief.

She was quite sought after, although she had never worked out why: some had told her it was because she could look after herself, some said it was the fact she hated being clingy. She thought the more probable reasons were either her unusually curvy body, or because for the simple reason that she wouldn’t just give herself up. Most people wanted what they couldn’t have, after all. That must be it. It would never be reasons such as she was capable of caring, or because she was witty, or smart. In a round-about way, guys wanted her because she was emotionally too damaged to show interest in physical relationships. It was sad.

Having nothing better to do than go home and deal with her personal drama, she decided to play along. She knew how the game would end, but still, it was better than going home - especially at this time. “What do you want to know about me?”

“Can I buy you a coffee? It’s getting cold.”

“That’s chic, but I have something better.” She held out her hand for her bag. As soon as she’d received her possession, she ped the main compartment and stuck her hand inside. Quickly retrieving a bottle of soju, the auburn haired female twisted the lid off and held it to her lips.

Grimacing in worry, JungKook shook his head in disapproval. “You didn’t eat dinner; you shouldn’t drink on an empty stomach.”

Hissing at the burn in the back of , SanHa scrunched her face. “Have you been stalking me?”

JungKook choked, and he hadn’t even drank any of the pungent booze he could smell from his spot a yard away. “I didn’t need to stalk you to know that.”

“So?” She asked, prompting him to ask one of his all important questions that had sent him on a delinquent chase.

“If you don’t want coffee, at least let me get us something to eat.”

Shooing her hand, the female took another gulp from the bottle. “If you’re hungry, go ahead.”

Irked by the awkward behaviour, JungKook’s tone turned serious. “Stop deflecting.”

“I don’t deflect.” She cooed.

“Fine, we can eat my lunch.” Slinging his bag over his left shoulder and gathering the rest of their stuff at the nook of the same elbow, the brunet held his hand out. “Pick a place to sit.”

Raising her left brow, the older girl gave in. Without saying a word, she took on the steep grass verge leading towards the rocky riverbank covered in moss. Making it to the bottom, just before the water, she placed her bag down to her right and then threw down her hoodie and blazer on one of the plusher patches before planting her rear. JungKook had followed close behind, venturing into the darkness where no light reached, and then sat a little less than an arm-span away.

They sat without conversation for some time, just watching the pretty city lights from across the river dance on the currents of the water. Bringing her knees up so she could rest her elbows on them, SanHa couldn’t really care less about flashing anything that happened to be lurking in the murky depths. Bottle in her hands hanging between her knees, a fierce wind whistled past, blowing her hair and causing the top of her shirt to billow after that animal had broken her top button earlier.

At that point, JungKook had never seen anyone as beautiful as her. It wasn’t her glamorous body, or her pretty face, but her honesty and confidence. That was what he wanted. It really was like a manhwa; he thought that falling in love with her wouldn’t be a task at all.

Feeling eyes on her, the senior continued to look ahead as she spoke. “Stop staring, it makes me uncomfortable.”

“O-oh.” Looking in the total opposite direction, JungKook fiddled with the edge of his shirt as he tried not to grin as naive images floated through his mind.

Leaning back a little and resting on her left hip and elbow, SanHa held out the bottle she’d been drinking from. “Do you want some?”

Snapping to attention, he shook his hands wildly. “I’ve never drank alcohol before.”

“What better night to try it? The scenery is nice, and you have great company.” She ended with sarcasm as she held up the green glass bottle.

He was about to say no, but then a certain subject came to mind, which flipped his answer. But then he thought about how he would explain being drunk if his parents ever found out. Then-

“I’m not asking you to chug the lot.” Sitting up again, his company placed her lips to the end of the bottled and took two long sips. Finishing with a gleeful sigh, she returned her line of sight to the brunet. “I was just offering you an opportunity.”

Sheepishly holding his hand out a little, JungKook chewed his lower lip. “If you don’t mind sharing the bottle?”

Turning her nose up with a huff, SanHa rolled her eyes. “Are you a child? I don’t have cooties.”

“I-t’s not that...”

“Then what?”

“I-indir..ect...”

She snorted a laugh behind the back of her hand. “Oh.” Feeling the buzz of the alcohol relaxing her system, the senior wriggled her fingers menacingly as she made a stupid puckered up face. “I’ll kiss you for real if it would stop you from being such a baby.”

Covering his mouth and pulling his other hand back, JungKook’s eyes went wide. “Don’t startle me.”

Suddenly turning solemn, SanHa shook her head once and turned away. “Fickle things such as kisses can be easily stolen and exploited, whether you cover your mouth or not.”

Horrified, the Freshman recoiled. “Are you saying you’re going to take advantage of me?”

The female looked to her company with absolute seriousness only to crack with laughter. “Pahahahah!” Head back and smile causing temporary laughter lines, the girl clutched her stomach with her free hand. “Are you for real?” Heaving for a breath between the chuckles, SanHa placed the bottle down and covered her face to try to calm down.

Watching his company’s shoulder’s shake with wheezy laughter, JungKook became mezmerized as he watched the older girl wipe tears from her eyes. “You’re really beautiful when you laugh.”

Immediately stopping, the female lowered her head and snorted in disbelief. “Are you going to take a drink, or not?” Sniffling her nose clear, she plucked a cigarette from the inside of her blazer pocket and placed it to her lips.

Watching the flame of her lighter dance in the evening bluster, JungKook tried to fathom how the girl’s mind worked. “Why are you so Hell-bent on shortening your life?”

Chin resting on her arms folded over her knees, the auburn haired female peeked to her left. “I’m not ready for that kind of discussion. Ask something normal people ask, like Star Sign, or favourite colour.”

“I can guess both.” He told as if was something common.

Interest piqued, SanHa reared her head with a cocky smirk. “Oh, yeah?”

“It’s definitely black. And your sign has to be a fire one.”

Impressed, the older girl grinned behind her arm. “Yes, and Aries.”

“Figures.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” She frowned with the offset of a pout.

“What’s your blood type?”

“Is that a difficult one?”

“Well, you’re both harsh and kind, honest and deflective.” He looked up at the sky filled with shades of ecru and byzantium purple. “Probably a weirdo AB.”

Snorting, the female raised her head with a look of surprise. “Am I really a weirdo?”

“Was I right?”

“You’re surprisingly bright despite your day's choices.” Taking a drag of her vice, the senior hummed the smoke out. “Makes me wonder why you were cutting class.”

“I told you.” Gazing right at her, the brunet fiddled with his hands. “I wanted to get to know you.”

Brow raised, SanHa turned her head to face the scenery in front of them. “I think you should reconsider your yearly goals.”

“I think my yearly goals are the best they’ve ever been.”

“Do you use these lines a lot?”

“I’ve never really talked to a girl before - besides those in my family. I barely say anything besides a hello to my female peers.”

Taking a final puff of her cigarette, she flicked the end out into the water. “You shouldn’t waste yourself on someone like me.”

Saddened by the advice, JungKook reached out to pat her arm. “Don’t think so little of yourself, Noona.”

Pulling back, the female stared her company in the eye. “No matter how much I could tell you tonight, it wouldn’t be enough to make you understand the kind of person I am.”

“Because you swear, drink and smoke, or because you fight?” He shrugged as if it wasn’t important. “That’s not all you are.”

Expression hardening, SanHa tensed up. “I’m being serious. The only thing that will come of knowing me is trouble” She watched him carefully, trying to figure out what his ulterior motives were, but all she saw was naive conviction. It was kind of endearing, really.

“Then let it be.” He picked up the bottle, ready to take a sip. “I still need to pay you back for not hating me for not helping you earlier.”

Snatching the bottle right back, SanHa waved the comment off angrily. “Don’t be so in’ stupid. I don’t hold that against any of you.” Baring her teeth, the senior growled. “He would have had his dogs beat you a death if you so much as spoke up.”

Both curious and worried about the situation, JungKook leaned forward a little, stress becoming more obvious in his voice. “Then, why didn’t he have the same done to you after you knocked him on his back?”

“We were yearmates, and he tried to get me to go out with him more times than I can count. We fought a lot back then, but he would search out anyone else who laid a finger on me.”

Recoiling with a contorted expression, the brunette looked away with a judgy eye-roll. “He sounds disturbed.”

“More than you think. And he isn’t even the worse.” Taking a deep breath, she placed the bottle to and gulped. the remnants from her lips, the female shrugged as she looked away. “I have a lot of drama; it’s best if you don’t get involved.”

Shaking his head with conviction, JungKook smiled. “Scaring me won’t work.”

Face contorted at the sudden change in tone, the senior tilted her head. “What?”

Taking the bottle from her hand, JungKook downed the last quarter. Eyes squeezed shut and muscles clenched, the brunet almost yacked at the burn running down his gullet. in a breath, but regretting it immediately after when a burn shot from his stomach to the tip of his tongue, the the Freshman wheezed. A rash of heat spread across his face and neck, and his head felt as if it had lifted off of his shoulders.

“Are you okay?” SanHa asked, even though she knew there would be no way in Hell he would be.

Still pulling a strange face and rubbing his tongue on the roof of his mouth to get rid of the taste, JungKook hiccupped. “I won’t stand back again.”

“What are you saying?” Now she remembered why she didn’t drink with other people - let alone first-timers. “Tell me, quick, before the booze hits you for real.”

Head spinning and a strange fizzing running through his veins, the brunet tried to shift only to flop to the side. “I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Offended, the Senior huffed as she eyed the lightweight flopping around. “Do I look like the kind of person who gets hurt?” Taking a second bottle from her bag, this time keeping a tighter grip on her release, SanHa turned away to take a few swigs.

Rolling onto his back, the Freshman gurgled. “Are you not sharing any more?”

Peering back over herr shoulder with narrowed eyes, the addressed could only huff at the state beside her. “You can’t even sit up.”

“I can-Hurgh-” Throwing himself up, JungKook blinked hazy-eyed. “-I was just looking at the sky.”

Flinching away from the sudden jolt, SanHa pointed viciously with wide eyes. “If you throw it up, I’m gonna be annoyed.” She handed the bottle over and watched her junior take three sips before handing it back.

“I know my limits.” The boy slurred, clearly not knowing his drinking limits at all.

SanHa just hummed at the remark while she watched her company as he swayed. “Where do you live?”

“E-excuse-hic-me?”

Where.do.you.live? Your address?” She asked flatly, and the boy proceeded to slur his address.

Flopping back again, this time splaying his arms and legs out like he was trying to make snow angels on the soggy ground, the brunet stared up at the sky wistfully. “But I don’t wanna go home yet.”

“Join the club.” She turned her head to watch the lights reflected on the water. She wasn’t sure whether it was just the beauty of sitting in the dark and seeing the city pulse as if it was alive from a safe distance, or whether it was the fact - in the back of her mind - she knew what she had to face no matter how long she left it, but she couldn’t calm herself.

 


 

Posted: 18th May 2015 - 14:39
Updated: 17th April 2018 - 12:01