Chaser

I’m Not Afraid To Fall: [That Girl Is A Problem] Series

 


Chaser

 

He had looked everywhere. JungKook didn’t know how a person could seemingly disappear into thin air. He had been ducking around corners and slinked around in an attempt to avoided the occasional teacher wandering the halls, but it had only been when he had glanced out of the window when he had been given a break. Keeping a grip on his bag strap, the Freshman set off into a sprint down the corridor. Breaking out into the bitter winter air, his shoes crunched over the snow just outside of the exit nobody used. Lungs filling with frigid air, the brunet glanced left and right to make sure no teachers were around before jogging towards the wire fence at the end of the field. Pulling back the loose barrier and squeezing through the gap, the Freshman staggered a pace or two before making it to freedom. Eyes landing on the public basketball court just cross the narrow walkway, the teen inhaled deeply.

JungKook had never skipped class before. His attendance had always been 99% and above, but he hardly found any point in filling in forms when none of his personal information had changed; half a days absence would hardly make a difference. This is what any normal guy would do, right? Whatever the case, he was still going to do it. He would. And after lecturing his friend about seizing adventure, and going through all of the trouble to actually get to this point, there was no way he was going to turn back now. Approaching the basketball court and counting the young men caught in a game whilst the female he had searched for rested against the tall fence with her back to him, JungKook only now wondered how he was going to introduce himself. It was important, right? Weren’t first impressions supposed to be everythi-

“What are you creeping around for?” The rough tone cut through the midwinter afternoon air without any visible prompt.

Startled by the sudden question, he realized that the girl had turned around and was now looking straight at him. “O-Oh, I’m sorry!” He immediately folded in half. “I didn’t mean to sneak up on you.”

Brows furrowed and full lips pulled down into something between a sneer and a pout, the older female scoffed. “Don’t lower yourself for me.” Sounding irritated, SanHa turned her back on him and continued watching the game. “Come on, someone swap with me!” She called out to the graduates fooling around.

“Sorry, SanHa Yah~” One of the older boys chuckled as he handed off the ball to his team mate.

Was that it? Was that the extent of his winter romance with the delinquent girl - her basically brushing him off as a creeper? JungKook glanced left and right without budging an inch. Was she not even going to give him an opening? Maybe she did, and he was just too slow...Holding either side of his head, JungKook racked his brain. ‘Oh my God! Why is this so difficult?’ Nope, he wasn’t going to let this be the end. It wasn’t like she’d told him to go away, after all. Taking a deep breath and trying to compose himself for a second time, the brunet shuffled closer towards the fence. “E-excuse me?”

Fumbling in her hoodie pocket, the tall female turned around to face him and huffed. “It’s 3:40.”

“Ah-I-I know.” He frowned.

Shoving the device back in her pocket, SanHa gave an exasperated sigh. “Then if it isn’t the time, what do you want?”

JungKook thought about for a few moments, and with each second that passed, the female looked more and more dismayed. “I will play.”

“What?”

Instantly holding his hands up in submission when he received an expression that said she was about to scold him, JungKook shook his head. “I mean, if you don’t mind.” Muscles tensed and back rigid, the junior avoided eye contact. “Then the game is kept even, and you get to play.” He waited, peeking up to check for a change in expression, but she turned back around before saying another word to him. “Hey, we’ve got a Freshman that wants to play.” Shrugging off her hoodie despite the minus temperatures, SanHa hopped up and down as she called out. “At least we have a five-on-five now.”

Finishing a lay-up, the man whom appeared to be the leader rolled his neck with a groan. “Kim SanHa, I swear, if you make anyone bleed in this game, I will string you up.” The tallest of the men pointed in warning.

Coughing a laugh, the addressed returned her attention to the stranger. Clinging onto the wire fence separating them, she gave the boy a good look over. “What’s your name?”

Wide-eyed and grinning at the progress, the brunet beamed. “Jeon JungKook.”

“Well, JungKook, let’s hope you’re tougher than you look.” Smirking, she beckoned him inside the court before tying her hair back off of her face.

Glancing down at himself, JungKook frowned. 'What was that supposed to mean?'


4:25pm

Having the wind knocked out of him as he hit the slushy tarmac, JungKook hacked for a decent breath. Now he knew what she meant. She had said what she had because she was planning to beat the crap out of him with quick-footed maneuvers to trip him up and sly elbow jabs to his ribs - even when she threw the ball to him when she’d been called to give him a penalty, it had been more at him. It was a test, he was sure. He hoped....

“Next team to get a point, wins.” The boy whom had agreed to let his ex-classmate and the stranger play held his right hand up as he gripped the ball with his other hand.

The game restarted and the ten players resumed their positions. Near the worn off semi circle, the female hunched as she eyed the pass of the ball between her team mates. Even when she felt a presence behind her, the Senior didn’t budge. “Why do you keep marking me?” Voice relaxed yet tone still rough, the girl refrained from rolling her eyes at the lad behind her.

Also watching the object of the game from his lowered position, JungKook spread his arms out and kept a few inches distance from actually touching his opponent’s back. “I’m the only one here as quick as you.”

Grinning to herself, the female spread her feet and dropped her centre of gravity even more as the ball shot to the right side of the court. “Oh, you think so?” She her lips as she read her team mate and his opponent heading towards her at dangerous speeds. “I think it’s because you’re imagining doing me from behind.”

Absolutely gob-smacked by the out-right remark, JungKook straightened up to defend himself. “I am no-”

Catching the ball towards her midriff, the auburn haired female clutched the sphere to her gut and spun around. pushing against his chest and hot breath on his neck, JungKook could do nothing as she reached under his out-stretched left arm. Seeing the grin stretch across her pale face reddened by exercise, his only reaction was to try and look back. Twisting oddly, the brunet was too late in his attempt to smack the ball leaving the short palm. Staggering over his own feet, JungKook fell backwards. Shifting her weight as she flicked the object up with her fingertips, SanHa reached out with her right hand and gripped the front of his shirt. Stumbling, and left knee hitting the wet floor before the stranger’s head could connect with it instead, the female forced back the pain with the grit her teeth.

Hunching over his thighs in a contorted balance, she showed an expression that JungKook had never seen on anybody. He wasn’t sure what it was, but it wasn’t something a normal person was capable of. "Are you oka-"

“-You know this court is ours.” A newcomer’s voice cut through the chill and without a second passing, SanHa dragged JungKook to his feet only to push him a pace away from the impending group.

Turning to face the disturbance, the lone female did nothing but watch the rabble of thugs dressed in black spill onto the court. Glancing to her graduated yearmate stood beside the post, the female shared a silent conversation until the taller male shrugged with a smile. Waving off the dark turn in atmosphere, the tallest nodded his head. “We’re finished now anyway.” He gestured for his friends to collect their stuff.

Sneering at the passive attitude, the slim newcomer with a scar on his upper lip nodded upwards at the suspiciously quiet female. “What say you, San Yah?”

The addressed rolled her neck. “About the court, or the fact you’re a ?”

“Uwoahaha~” Laughing, yet not quite finding the remark funny, the leader of the thugs played facetiously. “That mouth is going to get you into a lot of trouble one of these days.”

“Perhaps.”

“Don’t play around. Give me a proper answer, or I’ll break Lee’s hands.”

Brow raised, SanHa took the tie from her hair. “By yourself?” The look she received and the shift amongst his lackeys did nothing but make her scoff a laugh. “I thought not.”

Already sharp eyes narrowed, the delinquent tilted his head to the side in question. “Are you willing to risk his livelihood for your pride?”

“Why are you even asking me such a stupid question?”

“Don’t say I didn’t try to be fair.” He gave up on trying to bait her and gestured for his friends to fulfill his threat.

“Y’know,” SanHa cleared and advanced towards the troublemaker. “this is partly why I dated your brother over you.”

Inspecting the female now stood within reach, the brunet shrugged. “Oh, why’s that?”

Resting her right hand on her hip, the female shook her head as she looked the man up and down. “Because I already have a , and I don’t need another one.”

“Shall I show you what someone like me can do?” Reaching out and ragging the girl’s hair forward, he threw her into the barrier behind him. Smacking her face on the icy metal, SanHa was dazed with agony. Forcing her upper half over the railing, the thug used his weight to keep her from moving.

JungKook couldn’t believe what he was seeing. There were eight other guys beside himself whom had invited her to play only moments before, but not a single one of them had said a word. He wanted to, and he kept trying to force himself to at least make a sound, but nothing was coming out. Pulse slamming in his ears and palms sweating, he tried to choke down the lump in his throat for the umpteenth time. Before any action could be mustered, the scum bag flew backwards and hit the deck.

Hair skewed and shirt hanging off of her shoulder, SanHa panted as she stood over the delinquent. Eyes narrowed and teeth bared, the girl clenched her fists as she stared down at her victim. “If you think you’re the first person to try that, you’re sadly mistaken.” Shaking as she wiped the blood from her nose with the back of her wrist, she stomped down on the man’s ribs. “Too bad for you that you’re not as strong as the last one.” Kicking him again, she spat the blood from on the writhing figure before storming off without another word.

Not even being able to comprehend what had happened: why the whole thing had started, how she had got the upper hand, or why nobody - including himself - had done anything, JungKook came to his senses when he realized she was walking away without her stuff. Turning around and scampering to collect both of their belongings, the tall brunet pelted across the soggy court without a second thought to what was about to happen between the rest of his seniors.


4:55pm

Managing to catch up as she got to the dark dirt path along side the top of the riverbank, JungKook called out. SanHa didn’t answer, instead opting to stomp ahead with a hand on her head. “Noona?” Huffing for a breath, the brunet put more energy into his chase. “Noona, you forgot your stuff.” He had closed the gap to a few paces when the female paused.

Back to the boy, the female grunted. “What are you doing?”

Confused by the question, JungKook’s shoulder’s dropped. “What do you mean?”

“You must have seen what happened this morning during assembly. And just now...” Twisting her neck to relieve the tension out of habit, SanHa pushed her soggy hair off of her face. “Why would you bother to waste your time chasing me?”

Steeling himself, JungKook tightened his grip on the belongings in his arms. “Turn around and look at me, and I’ll tell you.”

Glowering back over her shoulder, SanHa bared her teeth. “Watch your manners.”

Ignoring the snap, JungKook shuffled forward with his hand out. “Your nose is bleeding.” Extending a packet of tissues, the younger boy waited for some kind of reaction. In fact, anything would have been good right now, but all she did was show a fed up expression.

Slumping, the senior sighed. “What do you want from me?”

Not quite expecting such a question, JungKook recoiled. Looking to the floor in thought, he hissed lightly. Shrugging his right shoulder and tilting his head to the same side, he glanced up. “I just want to know you.”

 


 

Posted: 16th May 2015 - 17:42
Updated: 17th April 2018 - 11:37