Chapter 9: Ruse

Mission: Destruction

        ''Oppa?'' What? But I want to go home already!

        ''We can just eat at a resto that's just near from here. But I know you're ankle still hurts, so it's fine if you don't want to. We can just talk tomorrow or just...whenever,'' Seunghoon oppa said with disappointment. What to do?! I feel like I can't say no. Despite his busy schedule, he made time for us to talk. I don't know how to explain what I feel right now. It's just that maybe I'm nervous of what could happen if I go with him. I won't know what to say if he starts asking about Minho. Speaking of hugeboy...

        ''Oppa, I just have to answer this. Can you wait?'' I ran to the kitchen. I felt a relief leaving Seunghoon oppa for a moment.

        ''Skye!'' He shouted and I nearly dropped my phone. Damn. This guy! He'll make my ear bleed!

        ''Why are you shouting? Listen, I--.''

        ''Hyung's there, right? Ugh. I knew this could happen!''

        ''Wait. What? What could happen?'' We're in trouble. We're in a really big trouble, Minho-ah.

        ''You see, I kind of think that he knows something about us already. He seems suspicious the whole day...''

        ''What?!'', I shouted and remembered that oppa's still in the cafe. As much as I could, I tried to calm down. ''How?''

        ''I'm sorry, okay? It's just that I was so happy when I came back this morning and...just...first, I said that I went to my parents' house and stayed there for the night. And so, I got through that one. But then, they asked me on how I poured coffee on myself and Taehyun said it was because of you. When we were mad at each other, what do you think my reaction should be?''

        ''Damn. I think you'd be annoyed as hell,'' I said, engrossed in his story-telling.

        ''I know, right? But then since I love you, I let it go and said it was my fault, and that I shouldn't have gotten the coffee from you in the first place,'' he said. I was flustered.

        ''So, that's how you really felt? Haha.''

        ''De. Mianhe. Anyway, I miss you already,'' he said. Stop it, Skye. You're supposed to be mad.

        ''Yah! Tell the rest of the story already!''

        ''Okay, okay. So they all got confused...said why I became so kind to you...blah blah blah...and Taehyun butting in...blah blah blah. And oh, when we had lunch. Seungyoon said maybe I followed you to the restroom...well, which was right. Of course I denied it. I just said I saw you hurt. But then, Jinwoo hyung saw me carrying you out of the restroom before I ran to get the bandage. Generally, they were teasing me to you, which of course, I acted like I hate the idea. But then, Seughoon hyung had these mysterious glances at me. Do you know what I mean? Even though he's like his usual self, he looked at me like he knows something.''

        ''I feel guilty. We weren't careful enough.''

        ''De, so whatever you and hyung will talk about, just act like you hate me, like I'm the person you hate the most, like I'm nothing to you. You can answer his other questions honestly except the ones about me. Get it?''

        ''Got it. Wish me luck,'' I said.

        ''Love you. Fighting!'' We almost sounded like we're on a mission or something. ''This should be easy for you. Remember when you were my anti-fan? Just do that again. Haha.''

        ''I'm dying to do that again,'' I said with enthusiasm. Honestly, I missed being a b*tch to him. ''Got to go now. Love love. Annyeong.'' I hang up and walked out of the kitchen.

        ''So, do you want to eat?'', Seunghoon oppa asked.

        ''Sure, sure.''

        Although it was cold, my hands kept sweating like sh*t. I couldn't keep calm. I had to stay alert for whatever he's going to say. We avoided crowded places. He was wearing mask and snapback, while me...I was wearing a mask too. It's better to be sure than sorry.

        ''I'm sorry that we have to wear these,'' he said.

        ''It's fine. I feel like a doctor patrolling the streets,'' I said.

        ''Haha! Yeah. Let's just think of it like that.'' It was the first time he laughed genuinely on what I said. I felt relieved. Maybe this talk won't be so bad.

        We arrived at a restaurant just a few blocks away from the cafe. This is the kind of place I like too; where you cook your food on your table. Though there were quite a few people, it's like they didn't bother if someone famous comes. They all mind their own business, laughing with their groups of friends. There were elders too, enjoying a relaxing meal. It feels home-y.

        ''Shall we eat bulgogi?''

        ''De. Kamsahamnida,'' I said as I took a deep breath when I put away my mask. I felt the aroma of meat fill my stomach. Seunghoon oppa also took off his mask. He seemed to be a little nervous as well. Oh my, what if he's already thinking of things to ask me? No, no, no.

        ''So...'', he started. I inhaled deeply. ''How long have you been friends with P.O and Zico?'' And I exhaled with relief.

        ''It's been a few years. We've been friends even before they debuted as Block B,'' I answered with confidence.

        ''Oh. So you did know Minho already? He trained with them,'' he said, and I felt my jaw drop. Wrong answer, Skye. You should have lied! Now what will you say?!

        ''I knew him, but we were never close. I'm just close with P.O oppa and Zico oppa,'' I lied. How can I stop this situation? ''I'm hungry already.''

        ''Let's just wait for a while. Delicious food should never be hurried,'' he said and smiled. I think he's enjoying this conversation.

        ''Okay,'' I said and smiled too.

        ''So, why weren't you close with Minho? You seemed close with each other when he helped you a while ago though.'' And he's back again.

        ''Oh. I just...I just don't get him, and we never really had the chance to be close. I was just always with the two oppas. And about what happened at lunch, maybe he just felt pressured seeing me in pain when he went to the restroom. Haha. I bet he'd help whoever it was,'' I said, stuttering. My fake laugh sounded weird. ''I don't think we'll ever be close. I even poured coffee on him this morning.''

        ''But he didn't seem mad though.'' Right! Why did I open that topic?

        ''Maybe it was just because...you know; I'm still a girl so...''

        ''And you didn't like that to happen.''

        ''Well...yeah...maybe,'' I said innocently.

        ''Haha! What maybe?'' He laughed and I couldn't help but laugh too. You're doing it right now, Skye!

        Our food arrived and we started to dig in. I enjoyed flipping the pieces of meat. Haha. I wrapped a piece for Seunghoo oppa, just a gesture of thankfullness.

        ''Oh. Gomawo,'' he said. He didn't know whether to get the wrap from my hand or to open his mouth. My arm was just stretched across the table...and it was awkward. I felt embarrassed. What was I thinking? ''Should I--.''

        ''Here,'' I just said and he opened his mouth. Lee Seunghoon, the y baby lion that touches everyone's heart when he dances, is right in front of me. My heart races as he leaned forward a little. I felt weak. I'm really, really embarrassed, and blushing. I hesitated whether to give the food to him or not. I didn't realize that I was moving back my stretched arm, driving my hand away from him. He looked at me and smirked, but continued to get nearer. I closed my eyes (Well, not really closed. You know the expression you make when you watch a horror movie? When you wanted to see and not see what's happening that you peek like an idiot?) as he took the wrap from my hand with his mouth. My God. I wanted to run. I wanted to disappear. I wanted to teleport somewhere far. I wanted to be invisible. I wanted to...ugh...anything! Just...I just have to be away from this.

        ''I felt like I was going to eat poison from your hand and you're feeling guilty about it. Haha,'' he jokingly said as he was chewing. And I opened my eyes. ''Here.'' He offered me one too, but I just grabbed it from his hand. He felt disappointed for sure, and I thought what I did was rude. ''Oh. Okay. Maybe you aren't comfortable with me yet. I'm sorry.''

        ''Ah anya, oppa. I'm sorry. I...I just felt shy.''

        ''Yah. But you already fed me one. Haha.''

        ''Oh. Right. Haha. Mianhe.'' And so, I felt even shyer.

        ''So...are you also this shy when you're with Block B members?''

        ''Uhm. No, not really. We fool around all the time.''

        ''Right. Why did I even ask? Haha. You and P.O looked really comfortable with each other. Maybe you're even more comfortable with Zico, right? Since P.O said that you like him better because you even gave him a pet name,'' he said and chuckled.

        ''Maybe? But there's someone I like even more than Mochi oppa though. Haha,'' I said. Oh no. Seunghoon oppa stopped for a second, maybe thinking of something to ask.

        ''Oh. There's someone?'' I'm doomed. I couldn't take back what I just said.

        ''De.''

        ''Do you mind telling me who is it?'' Of course I mind. He's your dorm mate and co-member! Of course I mind!

        ''I'd rather keep it secret. Haha.''

        ''Okay. Haha. So what is he like then?'' You just won't stop, will you?

        ''He's...special.'' Think of all the opposites of what you just said about Minho a while ago! ''It felt like we're already friends the first day we met. I guess we just...we just get each other so well.''

        ''Interesting,'' he said while he was eating faster now, maybe feeling excited of dragging me to confess my relationship with Minho. T.T ''What else?'' Oh what the hell. I'll just describe the general qualities that ladies look for in a guy. Minho does not have most of them though. LOL.

        ''He's caring but looks tough at the same time, like he wanted to protect you all the time. He doesn't want seeing me hurt, and if I do get hurt, he's always there for me.'' Seunghoon oppa slowly stopped eating and just stared at me like he's waiting for me to make a mistake, like blurting out the person I'm talking about. But I just continued. ''He's kind and...and...'' I feel like I'm falling off my seat. Why the heck is he like this?! ''And he makes me laugh.'' Come on, Skye! Think of something that Minho does not totally do! ''Oh. And he did not, like ever, said a bad thing to me. He's a total gentleman.'' That's it. That should be it. Minho always curses. He's love is as thick as his cursing. He loves to tease and mock me.

        ''He seems like a good man. Haha,'' he said.

        ''Oh. He really is,'' I said and sat properly, proud of what I did.

        ''I'd like to know who that is soon,'' he said and just smiled brightly. Of course...you can't.

        ''Hmm. Let's just see,'' I said.

        ''Skye, kwenchana?''

        ''Uh. De,'' I said, confused.

        ''But you're breathing heavily. You're hand, it's shaking.'' Then I realized that I was catching my breath not because I was nervous, but because it's really difficult to breathe. My hands were shaking and sweaty. I felt the need for air. My head was getting all fuzzy and it's getting harder and harder to breathe. Seunghoon oppa ran and paid for our meal. He sat beside me. I couldn't move properly and there were like needles pricking my face due to the lack of oxygen. My chest hurt...a lot.

        ''We should go to the hospital,'' he said; at least that's what I thought he said.

        ''No hospital, please. My parents...no,'' I said between heavy breaths. If my parents would know that I get hospitalized again, they would bring me back to US.

        ''No, we should go.''

        ''No, no. Please no,'' I said and felt tears filling my eyes.

        ''What should I...but our dorm's a little far. Let's just go to our building,'' he said as he helped me stand up. I couldn't disagree because I know I really need to lie down and rest. We walked slowly and nobody questioned us when we entered the building. The guard even helped us until we reached their training room. Seunghoon oppa explained what was happening to him.

        ''Thank you. I'll take it from here,'' he said and the guard left.

        ''Noona!'' I heard Taehyun said. I lied down on the long seat and closed my eyes, taking deep breaths. Taehyun got me water. Then, someone opened the door.

        ''Skye!'' Minho shouted and I heard his footsteps toward me. I heard them talking, probably Seunghoon oppa explaining what happened again.

        ''Mi--Minho,'' I whispered and pulled lightly on his pants. I didn't think what the others would say, I just...I just need him now. I felt him beside me. ''I think I'm just having a panic attack again. I...Give me a sleeping pill or something; Iterax maybe.''

        ''De, noona.'' I opened my eyes in shock. It was Taehyun. His face was just a few inches from mine, like he was a puppy peeking at his human who's still lying on his bed. I was quite disappointed that it wasn't Minho. I almost cried that I bit my lip just to stop myself. I'm sure Taehyun felt how I felt, but he surely didn't know what I was thinking. He my hair, gently pulling the locks away from my face. Then, he ran outside. I saw Minho and Seunghoon oppa staring at me worriedly. Minho might have thought that I did it on purpose because oppa's here, but he knelt beside me.

        ''Sit up. You need to sit up. Breathe,'' he said . Then, he sat too, facing me. He held my shoulders. How can't I love you? How can I ever forget you? He looked at me with his concerned eyes, consuming all the strength left in me. I wanted to curl up in his arms, feel his warmth, feel his heart beating against his chest. I wanted to cry on his chest, like what I did before I left him at the airport. I remembered the scene clearly like his face as he was trying his best not to cry. He patted my head, whispering 'saranghae' over and over again. His voice was trembling and cold. And just as I was about to let go of him and walk away, I saw a tear from his eye. How could I leave you like that? How can you love me like this, Minho? ''Just relax. You've been through worse than this. Breathe. I need you to breathe.'' Yes, I need to be alive for you, you who know me best. I can't leave you anymore. I can't see you cry anymore.

        ''Ahh...what's taking Taehyun so long? He should run faster!'' Seunghoon oppa was pacing back and forth. He looked panicking. And a few minutes later, Taehyun arrived. He was sweaty and breathing heavily. ''What took you so long? It's your...your friend needing the medicine here! You should have run faster! Chincha!''

        ''I took the stairs. Mianhamnida, noona,'' Taehyun said and grabbed his water bottle in a hurry. Minho got the medicine and was looking for a cup.

        ''Minho-ah. I need that already,'' I said and put the tablet in my mouth and grabbed the bottle from Taehyun and drank. I leaned my back against the wall for a moment. ''I need to go home now before I fall asleep.''

        ''What if you fall asleep in the cab? I'll go with you,'' Minho said softly.

        ''You can just stay here. I'll stay too,'' oppa said.

        ''I can stay. I'm not yet done composing. I can watch over you,'' Taehyun said and oppa looked at him. ''Seungyoon needs to talk to you, hyung. So I think you should go to our dorm.''

        ''I really have to go home,'' I said.

        ''I'll go with her,'' Minho said, and the two didn't say anything else. ''You just have to rest for a few minutes before you walk again,'' he told me. Why is this happening to me? Why am I so sickly?

        ''Okay, but I'm already feeling better though.'' I think the pill is starting to kick in.

        Seunghoon oppa was walking back and forth again until he finally stopped in front of me. ''Are you going to be fine?''

        ''De, oppa. Kamsahamnida. Thank you for everything you've done.'' What could have happened if he wasn't with me? I owe him another one. ''The lists of the things I owe you keeps piling up,'' I said jokingly, smiling at him though I'm exhausted.

        ''Pay for them later,'' he said and what he did shocked me. No, it shocked all of us. He leaned forward, held my shoulder and... ''I was really scared.'' He hugged me tight and quick and I couldn't even respond. He stood up straight again. ''I have to go now. Minho, are you really going with her?''

        ''D--de, hyung,'' he was looking at me.

        ''How about you Taehyun? Are you going to stay here? I mean, you won't go with them?''

        ''I want to, but I think Minho hyung can handle it already.''

        ''Alright, then. I'm going. Annyeong. Skye, annyeong. Get well really soon, okay?'' And he went out. Taehyun was looking at Minho and I.

        ''What?'', Minho asked.

        ''Nothing. It's nothing. Just...just weird,'' he said. ''Noona, kwenchanayo?''

        ''Yes, Taehyun. Thank you.''

        ''Then you owe me too,'' he said and smiled. He went back to the computer and put on his headset.

        ''Panic attack again, eh? Does this happen often?'', Minho asked.

        ''These past few days, yes. Maybe I'm just stressed.''

        ''Oh, you are. You just have to relax, you know. It sounds cheesy, but I'm here. I'm always here so there's nothing to be stressed about. Haha,'' he said and smiled. I could see the tiredness in his face even though he smiles. He's even more stressed than I am.

        ''Yah, I'm getting sleepy. I have to go home.''

        ''Oh, right. You act like you're drunk when you're sleepy. Ikimasho~.''

        ''Hai~.'' We told Taehyun that we're going and he just nodded and waved goodbye. We rode the elevator and stopped walking for a while when we were at the building's main door. ''Put your mask on.'' And he did.

        ''I'm like a doctor in black; your personal doctor that will even bring you home. You're lucky. Haha,'' he said. We really do think the same.

        ''Let's take the bus.'' Yep, even though it’ll be a long ride. We’ll have a round trip.

        ''Wae?''

        ''It will be the first time since I left you.''

        ''Ani, it will be just one of those times when you rode it with me. Let's go,'' he said and started walking. ''Palli. There's no special treatment for you. You have to pay this doctor hourly!''

        I just smiled and forced myself to walk faster. When I finally caught up with him, he walked slower. This moment, it was just like how we were before. I remembered when he didn't have to wear a mask, when we fool along the streets while walking, running and shouting, and when we randomly greet other people. Haha. It was fun. They were so confused whether they know us or not. Sometimes, he'll make me walk ahead of him for a few minutes, and then I'll just see him with his skateboard, catching up with me. But it's different now. Almost all people recognize him. I wish we'll have time to go on a vacation in a place that he's just my Song Minho, not Winner Minho or Hugeboy Mino, but for now, well, we have to ride a bus. It was already late so there were just three of us inside, Minho, me, and the driver. We sat on the middle row seats. I was near the window while he's beside me, seating at the aisle.

        ''This is nice,'' he said. He put an arm around me, and was sniffing my hair. LOL.

        ''I feel like we own this bus, like we can throw a bus party or something. We can add a bar, even though I don't drink. It'll be cool. It'll even be better if this has a second floor, right? Or maybe just a sunroof, so we can break our necks looking at the sky full of stars while sitting on these seats that can't be reclined.''

        ''Damn. Go sleep, you're drunk,'' he said as he forced me to lay my head on his shoulder. I struggled, but he held my head. But he's right, I don't even think of what I'm saying anymore. The words just come out like b*tches in a club seeing a douchebag in a bugatti...with a golden tooth...throwing dollars on the street...with his cheetah...wearing a collar...made of pure gold.

        ''I don't even drink. You know who's drunk? You! Why why why? Because you're in love with me. You should not. I'm a selfish b*tch. My pride is this high,'' I said as I raised my arm, waving my hand. ''My net worth this year is that high in a line graph too though. My Dad said it's been a good year. Haha! You didn't know that, did you? Because I left you! Haha! But don'cha worry, I won't do that again. I may even keep you locked up in my walk-in closet. Then I'll make you rap every morning and I'll be just amazed as I was when I saw a chubby guy rapping with Mochi oppa in the light-y loud-y place. 'em. ed up.'' I saw him laughing his off. I couldn't understand why. What the is this guy? He looked freaking cute and I just want to make a plushie version of him. Sh*t I'm wasted. ''I can't feel my brain.''

        ''Hahaha! Go ing sleep,'' he said as he kissed me.

        ''Then stop sticking your lips to mine,'' I said and pushed him away. Don't know what I'm...yes. Really. What.

        ''Okay, then. Sleep. Haha.''

        ''I love you,'' I said as I held his face and gently touched his long lashes.

        He held my hand and kissed my fingertips. ''Not as much as I love you.''

        ''What the?!'' I woked up and heard Minho shouted, realizing that we fell on our seats. We were sitting on the floor of the bus and Minho was holding my head against his chest, his other hand supporting both of us. ''Are you alright? Are you hurt? Skye, tell me,'' he said as he helped me stood up and sit properly again. He was in panic. ''Are you alright?''

        I was too dazed to even think of what to say. I didn't know what's happening. ''Y-yes.''

        ''Good, good,'' he said and kissed my forehead.

        ''What happened?''

        ''There was a car driving in front of us all of a sudden. We almost got into an accident. ing drunk driver maybe,'' he said. He was still checking my arms and head.

        ''That's scary.'' And we reached our station as I was talking.

        ''Let's go and walk already.'' He stood up and held my hand.

        ''Your hand, you have scratches on your palm.'' I carefully brushed away the dust off his hand.

        ''It's nothing. Let's just go.''

        We walked our way to my dorm. I bet Jihyun's still waiting for me. Anyway, I texted her before I ate with Seunghoon oppa that I'll be going home late.

        ''That was really something. We could have died,'' he said and held my hand tighter.

        ''I know, but accidents happen. We're just lucky enough that we're still here. I guess God still has plans for us, like maybe he said, ''Oh. These two just fixed their relationship. I'll let them be happy for a while. Oh. And the girl's pretty too. She should live longer.''

        ''Haha! How can you joke about what just happened? Is it because of the medicine?'' He pulled me towards him and kissed my head.

        ''Ahh. I'm still sleepy,'' I said and yawned.

        ''Me too. Should I go sleep with you?'' Wait. What.

        ''What?'' I looked at him and stopped walking, making my hand fall from his grip. We stared at each other and he laughed.

        ''Yah! I mean I want to sleep at your dorm too. Haha! You !''

        ''Yah! You're the one who doesn't make his statements clear!'', I said and stomped my foot. ''Ah!''

        ''Your ankle hurts, right? I won't help a ert though,'' he said and continued walking.

        ''I don't need your help!'' I walked slowly, limping. It really hurt.

        ''Wohoo!'' Minho was running around. He'd run far away then go back as if teasing me. Then, I laughed at how he acted like he's riding a skateboard, only making himself trip over.

        ''Babo!'' I missed seeing him enjoying, playing like what he used to before.

        ''Nugu? Me?''

        ''Babo!'' He ran towards me until we're just inches away from each other. ''Song Minho babo.''

        ''Aniya. Don't say that.'' He was acting tough and serious. I was surprised. I didn't think he'd react that way.

        ''Minho-ah, mian.''

        ''Bleeeeeh,'' he said and stuck his tongue out, dancing like an idiot. He even did aegyo. ''Saranghaeyo~. Heartu~.'' Haha. I don't if he's cute or creepy or what.

        ''Babo. Just take me home already. Haha.''

        ''Arasso.'' He made me stand up on a bench and he bent over. ''Come on. I know we're already near, but I can't let you hurt yourself more. Piggy-back time,'' he said. I hugged him tight and he held my legs. ''You're lighter than before. Are you eating well? I don't care if you gain a few more pounds.'' I rested my head on his shoulder, kissed his neck and saw his precious smile. He then walked faster as if I gave him the energy to do so. Haha.

        ''Do you think we'll be like this forever?'', I said.

        ''No, I can't give you a piggy-back forever. Haha'' I hit his arm. ''Alright, alright. Yes. I'm praying for this every day.''

        ''But what if it doesn't happen?''

        ''It's fine, maybe it's just even better.''

        ''But they say that there's no forever, so what if it's worse?''

        ''I'll make it better no matter what.'' He stopped walking. ''If there's no forever, then a lifetime is enough.''

        ''Gomawo. Then I'll try my best too.''

        ''Yah! Of course you should!'', he said as he jumped a little.

        I almost fell asleep again by the time we finally arrived at our building. ''Thank you. Just take a cab, okay? Text me when you get home. Take care.''

        ''De. Put ice on your ankle, okay? Sleep well. I'll go now,'' he said and gave me a peck on the lips. He crossed the road and walked away. I was watching him until he got on a cab. When I finally got inside the building, I felt so relieved that I'll finally be able to rest, but then the guard gave me something.

        ''A man dropped by and told me to give this letter to you, sweetie. I couldn't see his face and he didn't tell me his name even if I asked a number of times. I hesitated whether to give this to you or not, but he said it's really important.''

        ''It's fine. Thank you.'' I went to the elevator, holding the letter and thinking who could it possibly from. I was a little nervous, and I didn't know why. My heart's beating fast and my hands were sweating. ''Ugh. I've been through a lot today.'' I just opened the letter and saw a sentence, printed with bold font-- ''You're scared because you should be.''