Tired

Glitters in bottles

A/N: Wenrene is always so pure and happy <3

Description: I’m tired of you being tired of me.

//

Beads of perspiration formed on her forehead as she dragged her luggage up the slope. She didn’t understand why schools have to have slopes that leads them to the students’ hostels.

Wendy wished the sun was just smiling brightly at her but no, today Mister Sunshine was throwing a tantrum and was glaring at her.

Wiping her sweat with the back of her palms, she sighed. She shouldn’t have moved to a hostel. She could easily rent an apartment outside without the hassle of dragging her heavy blue luggage up this rough slope. But she didn’t have enough money to spare and what she could afford was to only stay in the school’s hostel.

The elevator jerked slightly when it has reached level four. She let out a sigh as she finally stood in front of her dorm. She wanted to raise her hand to knock onto the door but she figured she could make herself look more presentable first. She was certain that her roommate probably wouldn’t want to see a lady who was perspiring due to the summer’s heat that was going to announce that they will be sharing a room together in future.

The door suddenly flung open, Wendy took a step back, frightened by the sudden movement. A lady placed a quick kiss on this brown hair girl before she left. Whispering seductively ‘I’ll see you soon’ before she gave Wendy a wink and left.

Wendy’s eyes doubled its size. What was that for?

‘Oh, you’re my new roommate?’ the brunette girl asked as she stood in front of the door, giving Wendy a lazy smile.

‘Yes,’ Wendy answered uncomfortably.

Not because her roommate appeared to be gay. She couldn’t be bothered who is gay and who isn’t. She just hoped that her roommate would be mindful of whatever she will be doing. Wendy only wanted to study and do well for exams without anyone disturbing her, which included her roommate.

The brunette gave a small laughter before introducing herself. ‘Name’s Irene. Nice to meet you.’

‘Wendy,’ she said as she grabbed the handle of her luggage. ‘Aren’t you gonna let me in?’

‘Was about to do that,’ Irene laughed it off before she helped Wendy with her luggage.

Her dorm wasn’t particularly huge. It was a room big enough for two people to share. There were two beds situated opposite of one another, placed next to the walls. Two study tables for each student. A bathroom to share.

Good enough.

‘I’m taking the left side. So the right one’s yours,’ Irene informed as she went towards her own table to pack her books.

Irene definitely looked like a study type, Wendy thought to herself. But why was she hanging out with a weird girl who winks at strangers?

‘Alright, thanks,’ Wendy replied as she unpacked her belongings. She hoped things wouldn’t turn out to be awkward.

//

Sometimes Irene doesn’t return home till midnight. Sometimes she would stay in the dorm for the entire day. Irene is so unpredictable and Wendy didn’t mind.

Because when Irene unlocked the door, Wendy would be asleep. The brunette wouldn’t make much noise other than her singing in the bathroom even when it was 12 am.

Two weeks into sharing a room together, Wendy realized they haven’t been chatting much. Wendy only knows that Irene majors in psychology, goes for lessons 3 days per week and Irene was two years older than she was. She knows that Irene has a habit of hitting the tip of her pen against the table when she encounters slight problems on her assignments.

She liked the smile on the girl’s face when she managed to solve those questions.

Don’t get Wendy wrong. She hasn’t been observing Irene from far end, it’s just that you know, staying in a dorm together for two weeks, you’d notice some things about your roommate.

That night, Irene unlocked the door quietly. She threw her bag on the floor, which normally doesn’t happen because Irene was a gentle girl. She would leave her bag on the wooden chair before heading to the bathroom.

Wendy pretended to be asleep but she was feeling restless. Irene didn’t seem like her normal self today.

Gently tugging her duvet cover down her face, she peeped at Irene. She saw the girl sitting on her own bed, head buried in her own palms as she bent down.

‘Irene?’ Wendy pushed her duvet cover aside as she sat bolt straight up.

‘Hmm?’ Irene answered. The lamps from outside illuminated their room. Even in the dark, she could see Irene’s eyes glistening.

‘Hey,’ Wendy invited herself to sit next to Irene. ‘Are you okay?’

Irene stayed silent as she pressed the heels of her palms against her eyes.

‘It’s okay to cry, you know?’ Wendy placed an arm around the brunette’s shoulder as she scooted closer.

‘It’s nothing serious. And you should go to sleep. You have morning lessons tomorrow,’ Irene replied softly as she sighed. Wendy was amazed by how Irene knew her schedule. She remembered herself not sticking her timetable on the wall.

‘I can always skip lessons,’ Wendy joked. ‘You’re more important.’

‘Thank you,’ Irene said as she rested her head on Wendy’s shoulders.

‘You should go shower first. Your shirt might stink,’ Wendy gave a slight chuckle and that made the side of Irene’s lips curve.

“Alright. I shall. Will your shoulder still be available after my shower?”

“Always available.”

--

When Irene stepped out of her shower, she was pleased to see Wendy standing outside her the bathroom with a small smile and her arms spread open.

Irene couldn’t hide her grin as she moved forwards, accepting her hug.

Just like that, they fell asleep together. Wendy didn’t know that Irene’s shampoo smell could be so appealing and sweet while the brunette fell asleep with the warmth that she craved for so long.

--

Wendy skipped her lesson just to see a sleepy Irene in her arms. The girl didn’t stir at all and was gently clinging onto Wendy’s waist the moment the former woke up.

‘Good morning,’ Irene said with a small voice when she looked up at Wendy.

‘Good morning,’ Wendy grinned.

Irene nuzzled into Wendy’s neck as she breathed in the light fragrance of milk scent. Wendy sworn her heart was filled with light bubbles that could be burst within a few seconds.

‘Wendy?’ the brunette pulled a gentle black lock to the back of Wendy’s ear.

‘Hmmm?’ Wendy blinked her eyes.

‘Don’t fall for me, Wendy,’ Irene cupped Wendy’s face. At that instance, Wendy could see those dark brown orbs that were hardened.

‘B-but why?’ Wendy wished she hadn’t seen those eyes at all.

‘Because I don’t want to break you into pieces that only I could fix,’ Irene sighed as she placed a light kiss on the younger girl’s forehead.

//

She crushed her paper before aiming it at the bin. It landed into the bin with a soft thud. Wendy sighed at the silence in the room. Irene hasn’t been back ever since she left today morning and Wendy was certain that the girl would most probably disappear for a few days before she came back.

Last night’s words kept replaying in her brain.

‘Don’t fall for me, Wendy.’

Wendy groaned in frustration. If only she could control her own feelings. If only.

Knowing that she wouldn’t be able to do anything productive, she headed for her bed. On those soft cushions that shaped her back in a comfortable position, Wendy could still smell those lingering cinnamon scent on her pillow case. That alone was enough to make her feel that her heart was being peeled off, layer by layer.

Wendy wished knew why Irene said those words to her because all she wanted to do was to love Irene whole heartedly.

//

She raised her fist up to knock but she paused.

It has been five days since she has returned. How would Wendy think just by her randomly knocking on the door?

She took a deep breath before she gently pressed her fist on the door. She was certain that it sounded like a knock but something in her said otherwise.

The door creaked open slightly. Irene could see the hurt that flashed in Wendy’s eyes before she stood in front of the door with no intention of letting her in.

‘Can I come in?’ Irene bit her lips.

‘Can I say no?’ Wendy folded her arms even when she was dying to let Irene in. She missed that girl so much. Five days without a sign of Irene almost drove her crazy.

‘I guess so,’ Irene sighed and they stood there like that for five minutes.

‘Just come in already,’ Wendy surrendered as she reached out for Irene’s arms.

No words were exchanged. Just concerned gazes as they sat opposite of each other with folded legs on Irene’s bed. Wendy didn’t know what to say and Irene just didn’t want to break the silence.

Wendy often wondered what was worst. If you wanted to talk to someone but you have nothing to say or when you talked to someone but words were left there hanging in the thin air.

This time round, it was Irene who reached out to the younger girl before they collapsed on her bed. Irene didn’t say much, just occasionally Wendy’s hair and smoothing out those lines on her forehead. The younger girl whispered gently onto Irene’s neck saying “I missed you”. Wendy didn’t mind how Irene smelled like someone else’s perfume, to know that she finally got to see the latter after so long was what that mattered most.

It was until Irene felt the constant falling and rising of chest against her did she finally whispered an “I love you” to the sleeping girl.

--

‘When will you be coming back again?’ Wendy asked as she was still in Irene’s arms.

‘3 days later. I’ve stuff to take care of,’ Irene answered carefully, not wanting to show her hurt by Wendy’s question.

‘Okay. 3 days later, it is then,’ Wendy mumbled as she snuggled closer, wrapping her arms around the older girl.

‘I’m sorry,’ Irene said quietly as she tilted Wendy’s chin up.

‘I know,’ Wendy nodded, eyes watery.

‘I love you,’ Irene said as she wiped those tears away from Wendy’s eyes.

And that was exactly why she told Wendy not to fall in love with her – she loved her. She loved Wendy a little too much to hurt her. She loved Wendy a little too much that to see tears escaping from her eyes would hurt Irene as much as it hurts Wendy. She loved Wendy a little too much that now she was having trouble with her current ‘girlfriend’.

‘You already have a girlfriend right?’ Wendy mustered up her courage as she asked this question. She needed to know the answer to the question even if it might break her into pieces.

‘Yes,’ Irene sighed. ‘But I’m sorting things up with her. Hopefully we get a clean break-up, for once.’

‘Okay. Till then, I’ll wait for you,’ Wendy said with determination in her eyes. She hoped that was what Irene needed; the reassurance that someone will be there for her.

‘Thank you,’ Irene gulped that invisible lump in down.

//

That familiar smirk her door step was what Wendy didn’t miss before she called out to Irene.

It was the exact same girl that gave her a wink when she first entered the room.

‘Guess whose back?’ the girl exclaimed as she threw a big smile at Irene when she answered her door.

‘You. You’re back,’ Irene replied with a small grin.

‘Am I allowed to come in?’ the girl asked loudly, not to Irene but more towards Wendy.

‘We’ve got space here though,’ Wendy shouted back.

‘I’m coming in!’ the girl giggled as she pushed Irene to the side and entered the dorm. Wendy wondered if this was how she was treating Irene all along; immature and obnoxious like lady who wants things in her own way.

‘You’re that lady I’d seen before, aren’t you? Blue luggage?’ she asked.

‘Yes,’ Wendy answered. There’s absolutely no need to talk to someone who is rude, is there?

‘Her name’s Wendy and she’s Sulli,’ Irene interrupted.

‘Oh hi there, Wendy,’ Sulli extended her arm for a handshake.

‘Hi,’ Wendy said out of formality.

‘We should get going. Wendy has a test to study for. We shouldn’t interrupt,’ Irene urged as she dragged Sulli out.

‘I’ll be seeing you more often then? And come on, smile more,’ her voice echoed down the hallway before the door clicked shut.

How annoying.

//

Dragging her luggage back to Sulli’s apartment, Irene sighed. She knew exactly what Sulli was doing. She was marking her territory by being loud and sarcastic back in the dorm.

The summer’s heat prickling on both of their skin didn’t help to lessen the slight tension between them. The moment when they were out of Irene’s school, the girl had already started showing her attitude but Irene couldn’t care more.

She wanted to break up with Sulli since a year ago but this girl kept playing with Irene’s heart strings, coming and leaving as and when she wanted, as if she never had a reason to stay.

Sulli unlocked her door and kicked her sneakers towards the corner of her living hall.

‘You can put the luggage here and go if you want to,’ she said as if Irene didn’t matter, just as always.

‘I’ll leave once I tell you what I want to say,’ Irene made her way towards the kitchen, getting a soda from the refrigerator.

‘What do you have to say then?’ Sulli followed Irene into the kitchen.

“I just want to have a peaceful talk with you.”

“Nothing has been peaceful ever since I entered your dorm.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Nothing.”

‘Nothing? Yeah, it’s always nothing to you. As if my feelings didn’t mattered to you at all. Anyway, this is it. I want to break up with you. Let’s end this,’ Irene said as she placed the soda on the wooden table with a soft thud.

‘What?’ Sulli looked at her incredulously. ‘What do you mean by ‘break up’? Oh I know, it must be because of that b*tch, isn’t it? I saw how you look at her when I entered the dorm!’

‘Don’t push the blame to Wendy. We both know she’s just your excuse for your unreasonableness,’ Irene glared at Sulli. Never in her entire life has she glared at someone before and at the back of her head, she was glad she did this for Wendy.

She finally found someone she could stand up for.

‘Wendy? How loving. How long have you guys been together for, huh? 2 weeks? 3 months?’ Sulli stepped forward. With each step she took towards Irene, the latter took a step back.

‘Glad you know how long I have been trying to contact you for,’ Irene laughed.

Sulli froze. She had never seen this side of Irene before, Bold, unwavering and strong.

‘I’m just tired,’ Sulli soften, knowing that Irene might leave for once and for all.

‘I’m tired too. I’m tired of you being tired of me. Treating me as if I’m a toy, being pushed here and there, as and when you like. I’m tired of fearing when you will stop contacting me because you found your new love. Tired of you leaving and coming whenever you want, as if I’m someone that is supposed to be your permanent home,’ Irene pushed her hand through her brunette hair. ‘I’m tired of being someone else just to make you love me.’

Sulli casted her gaze on the floor. ‘You should leave. You deserve someone better.’

“I should. Someone’s waiting for me at home.”

//

‘I’m home,’ Irene dangled her keys as she pushed open the dorm’s door.

‘Hey,’ Wendy gave a cheeky grin. ‘Everything’s okay now?’

‘Yep,’ Irene smiled as she padded nearer towards the younger girl.

‘Wait. Let’s start this all over again,’ Wendy suggested as she stood outside of the dorm, partially closing the door before knocking on it again.

‘Oh, you’re my new roommate?’ Irene gave a lazy smile.

‘Yes,’ Wendy nodded.

‘Name’s Irene. Nice to meet you,’ Irene giggled.

‘Wendy. Aren’t you gonna let me in?’ Wendy arched her eyebrows.

‘Not until you give me a kiss,’ Irene poked her own cheeks.

‘Fine,’ Wendy chuckled before she pressed her lips on those soft cheeks.

‘Oh,’ Irene curled her fingers as she pressed her palms against her cheeks.

‘Stop acting shy!’ Wendy tried pulling Irene’s hands away from those crimson red cheeks.

‘I am shy!’ Irene ducked her head bashfully.

‘Hey hey,’ Wendy said before she pointed something that was out of the window.

‘What?’ Irene looked at the direction where the younger girl pointed.

She sneakily laced her fingers with Irene before the latter muttered an ‘oh’ and looked down, grinning at the floor.

fin

//

P.S : I hope this is okay for everyone..? Have a good day!