Sugar

Glitters in bottles

A/N : first attempt for a WenRene fic. Thought I should do some writing about them since they look incredibly adorable *-* Hope you’ll like it (:

 

Sugar

Word Count : 2684

 

She wiped her forehead with the back of her hand as the summer heat pricked mercilessly onto her skin.

‘This thing called ‘house-hunting’ shouldn’t even exist,’ Wendy groaned in frustration as she thought about how she couldn’t pick a right apartment for herself. Either those rooms showed were too tiny for she and her books or they were located too far away from her college.

‘This shall be the last one. If I can’t get an apartment, I wouldn’t study in this college,’ Wendy thought childishly.

This apartment that was right in front of her eyes was just five minutes’ walk away from her college. Wendy prayed silently that this would be the right one for her.

Knocking on the door gently, the owner of the apartment greeted her with her pretty face. Her high cheekbones were really attractive and Wendy could feel that the apartment would be the right one for her.

--

Wendy moved in there three days later after packing up her stuff and sworn to never move back to her old, dusty apartment which took her an hour to travel daily from there to school.

She realized the owner of the apartment was called ‘Irene’ and was 2 years older than she was.

The girl was really friendly and smiley all the time. She was surprisingly clean (because she thought the girl would be like Wendy, who throws all her used dishes in the sink and only washed them after realizing she was running out of utensils) and packed her books in a neat stack every day after she was done with revision.

Wendy realized that Irene has this healthy shade of pink on her face whenever she sees Wendy and the former hoped it was because of how pretty she was.

Yes, Wendy was a conceited girl.

//

The cool air hit her face as she pushed the door and made her way through the streets.

What a stupid date.

Wendy pulled her sweater towards her body, pursed her lips as she remembered the humiliation that Luhan made her felt, washing all over her body again.

How could Luhan reject Wendy? Sure, Wendy wasn’t the best-looking lady that Luhan could date but how could he play with her feelings just because he wasn’t sure of his own?

The route home seems to take a little longer than usual. Wendy didn’t mind.

She knew that someone at home will always comfort her when she’s feeling down. She knew that there will always be her at home, who will be eagerly asking Wendy how her day went and wouldn’t mind sitting there just for hours listening to Wendy’s babble.

Wendy knew that she wouldn’t mind doing so, the former herself was just worried she couldn’t love her the same way she could.

//

Wendy exhaled her breath as she gently pushed open the door. The apartment was unusually quiet and that was the peace Wendy needed, yet she didn’t want it at the same time.

Sometimes Wendy is confusing and she thinks that only Irene can handle her that way.

She heard a pair of shuffling feet coming from her back as she kicked her flats to the corner of the apartment. Witnessing that action, Irene gave a light giggle.

Difference between Wendy and Irene?

Irene loves orders; she’d place her shoes neatly next to the door while Wendy easily kicks them to the side of the room. Irene sleeps on the right side of the bed while Wendy just sleeps wherever she likes to (like sometimes she just sleeps horizontally just because she’s really tired). Irene uses the same maroon mug for any drinks she pours for herself, Wendy grabs any mug she sees on the tray.

‘How was the date?’ Irene tucked her hands into her own sweater pockets.

‘He told me he is gay and he likes Sehun,’ Wendy shook her head.

‘So the date was unsuccessful?’ Irene asked, suddenly feeling happy that the date failed.

‘Yes,’ Wendy sighed.

‘Yes!’ Irene exclaimed and then realized that it was a stupid action she had done.

‘What?’ Wendy raised her brows

‘I mean, yes, punch his face. How dare he play with your feelings just because he is confused,’ Irene gave Wendy a frown and punched her fist in the air, as if she was punching Luhan.

Wendy managed to crack a smile. ‘Yeah. But I guess he was afraid to face his feelings though.’

‘Maybe,’ Irene shrugged. ‘Anyway, stop being sad. You have me here to share your troubles with!’

‘I honestly think we could be best friends,’ Wendy suggested.

‘I can be your best friend though! Or maybe your girlfriend!’ Irene exclaimed, then bit her tongue.

The room went quiet for a while.

‘Uh, I’m sorry. Haha I was uh… just saying some lame jokes to cheer you up,’ Irene rubbed the back of her neck.

‘It’s fine. I mean, I appreciate your jokes. But just, I don’t think it’s the time to talk about such thing yet,’ Wendy gave her a tight-lipped smile.

‘Sure. What should we have for dinner? Does beef steak sound okay for you?’ Irene suggested, knowing that the girl would most likely agree to it since it’s her favourite dish.

‘Sure!’ Wendy stood up and threw her arms around Irene whispering a soft ‘thank you’.

//

Wendy was one of the few popular juniors in school. She always found letters being stuck in between pages of her books. Sticky notes pasted on her files. Roses on her desks. And most of the time, these things would find themselves a new home – the trash bin.

Like one of her normal vacation days, many guys would have asked Wendy out. It was not a very surprising thing to hear from Wendy but that night, Irene could have been surprised.

‘Hey,’ Wendy popped her head into the kitchen.

Seeing Wendy getting dressed up, Irene frowned. ‘Oh hey, you’re going out?’

‘Yeah, sorry,’ Wendy pouted her lips and gave her an apologetic look.

‘Oh it’s fine. Dating tonight?’ Irene tried not to look at the younger girl, afraid that the look on her face would have betrayed her thoughts.  

‘Yeah.’ Wendy nodded.

‘Enjoy,’ Irene managed to force a smile onto her face, still managing to avoid Wendy’s eyes.

‘I’m sorry,’ Wendy sighed as she took a step nearer to Irene.

‘Nah, it’s okay, really,’ Irene lifted her gaze.

‘Save some beef steak for me?’ Wendy requested.

‘It wouldn’t taste good when it turns cold. I’ll make some for you other day, okay? I’ll invite Joy over tonight. She’s a glutton anyway,’ Irene laughed.

Upon hearing Irene’s laughter, Wendy’s heart constricted with pain. That made her feel even guiltier for accepting Kai’s date when really, Kai is just another gay for KyungSoo.

‘You’re the best,’ Wendy gave Irene a tight hug and momentarily, Irene almost dropped her frying pan. The sizzling meat against it made Irene remembered she was cooking beef.

‘Okay okay’ Irene rubbed her hands up and down Wendy’s back. ‘I’m cooking still.’

‘Oh,’ Wendy gave her a silly smile. ‘I’ll be back later. Enjoy your dinner with… Joy.’

If Irene realized that Wendy sounded a little sadder when she pronounced the last character of the sentence, she didn’t show it.

--

Joy suggested Irene to get herself drunk so that she could confess to Wendy. But Irene kept rejecting her ideas.

‘You mad? She’s straighter than ruler,’ Irene sighed. It wasn’t as if this thought of confessing hasn’t crossed her mind. It was just, she didn’t want to ruin the beautiful friendship she has with Wendy.

‘Oh please. You once told me you were straight too but look who has this huge crush on this girl named ‘Wendy’ now,’ Joy smirked.

‘Some people obviously have the power to make straight people turn gay,’ Irene countered.

‘Okay whatever. Where’s the beef steak?!’ Joy waved her hands dismissively.

‘It’s in the kitchen. Go help yourself,’ Irene shook her head as she sipped her drink.

‘Aye, aren’t you gonna help me? I’ve come all the way here to be your listening ear!’ Joy sulked.

‘No. I invited you here for dinner,’ Irene hissed.

Joy couldn’t focus on counter arguing with the girl with pink tipped hair, instead she started gulping at the succulent steak that the latter had prepared.

‘You’ll make a good wife!’ Joy nodded her head in agreement to her own words.

‘Not as if she’ll ever look at me with romantic feelings,’ Irene gave a shallow laughter as she poured herself some wine.

“You haven’t confessed yet.”

“My actions are obvious enough for her to realize that I love her more than normal friends.”

Irene allowed the liquid to burn her taste buds for a moment before swallowing it. The wine cup landed on the glass table with a soft thud.

‘Holy , calm down on the alcohol you’re consuming!’ Joy shot up from her seat to grab the wine bottle.

‘Go away,’ Irene put her palm up.

‘No, stop it, Irene,’ Joy tried snatching the wine bottle again but failed.

By the time Joy managed to get the wine bottle, it was already empty and Irene had already passed out on the table.

‘Dumb,’ Joy shook her head as she looked over at the girl.

Punching those buttons on her house phone, Joy cursed at herself mentally. Why didn’t she stop Irene from getting so drunk? The call was picked up. ‘Wendy? Hi, this is Joy. Please come back now because Irene is drunk and I have to reach home as soon as possible.’

‘She’s drunk? That couldn’t be. Irene doesn’t drink!’ Wendy exclaimed.

‘No, seriously she’s drunk. Come home now so I can explain the situation to you,’ Joy spoke seriously.

‘Okay.’

--

Wendy waved her hand frantically out in the air, hoping that she could get a cab as soon as possible. She almost cried when all the cabs on the streets seemed to be occupied.

Finally, a vehicle pulled up in front of her. The window was wind down.

‘Hop on?’ Kai offered.

The next thing Wendy realised she was doing was fishing out for her keys while Kai was driving her home.

‘Emergency at home?’ Kai asked as he looked at Wendy before focusing on the road.

‘Yeah,’ Wendy answered half-heartedly.

‘Irene?’ Kai probed again.

“Yes.”

“You like her, don’t you?”

“Does it matter? She needs someone to take care of her now. She’s drunk and all. Can’t let her stay at home alone.”

“I hope you guys get attached.”

“I hope so too.”

--

 

‘Irene?’ Wendy couldn’t even lock the door when she entered the apartment. Rushing towards Irene’s side, she gently nudged the girl.

No response.

She shot her fearful gaze towards Joy, who was leaning against the bedroom door with folded arms.

‘I suppose you’re Joy?’ Wendy asked carefully.

‘Yes, this is Joy,’ the latter answered with slight hostility in her tone.

‘What happened to her?’ Wendy squatted down to see Irene’s chubby cheeks resting on the glass table. Her face had a dark shade of pink, probably due to the alcohol.

“Drunk.”

“Why drunk?”

“Because of you.”

Wendy gulped. She knew that Irene never liked alcohol. But why would she get herself drunk with all these bitter liquid that could destroy her livers?

‘You see the thing is, you only met her 9 months ago when you had to move into this apartment. But when she first saw you, which was a year ago, at the front pouch of the college, she was already attracted to you,’ Joy sighed.

‘I guess you’re already aware of her feelings, aren’t you? I hope that even if you don’t like her, tell it to straight her. Don’t make her hang onto this thin rope that might snap anytime. You’re in control of the rope anyway,’ with that said, Joy pulled the door to leave.

--

Sighing, Wendy carried Irene in her arms to bring her back to bed. The latter didn’t weigh as heavy as Wendy thought she would.

Girl with pink tip landed on the bed softly, murmuring incoherent words. Wendy pulled a stool for herself as she gently placed a warm towel on Irene’s forehead. The girl stirred a little from her sleep and the former held her breath.

‘You’re so silly,’ Wendy whispered as she pushed a lock of black hair with pink tip to the back of Irene’s right ear.

‘Sillyyyyy,’ Irene mumbled in her dream and Wendy couldn’t decide if Irene did hear what she said.

‘Yes, silly,’ Wendy observed the girl’s face. She was really, really beautiful. Her face was a pretty oval shape, with big eyes and long eye lashes. Her high cheekbones were what attracted Wendy the first day she saw her. Ever since then, there was always a light shade of pink on Irene’s face and Wendy actually liked it a lot.

--

Her eyes lashes flustered open, she could feel al that energy in her body evaporating away.

Her head throbbed so much from the alcohol she’d taken last night, Irene couldn’t even push herself to sit right up. She turned to her right, seeing Wendy resting her head on her own forearm.

The older girl gently patted her head and her hand froze midway when Wendy rubbed her sleepy eyes and gave the former a pretty smile that could melt hearts.

‘Hi,’ Wendy greeted with her soft, sleepy voice.

‘Hi,’ Irene squeaked and closed her eyes as the nerves in her head started to twitch again.

‘Migraine?’ Wendy plopped herself next to Irene’s side.

‘Mmm,’ Irene scrunched her nose and mouth.

‘Relax,’ Wendy said quietly as she placed both her thumbs on Irene’s temple and gave her a gentle massage. ‘Better?’

‘Hmm,’ Irene gave a light nod. She pushed open her eyes and widened it when she realized how little distance Wendy’s face was from hers’. But the latter did nothing and gave her a warm smile before giving her a soft kiss on her nose.

//

Ever since that day Irene got drunk, Wendy had been staying more at home often and only met some of her friends when needed. She’d spent more time with Irene such as cooking together in the kitchen which was what they were doing today morning.

Wendy suggested for both of them to make American breakfast together after looking into their refrigerator.

‘I’ll do the eggs while you toast the bread,’ Irene gave her orders.

‘Yes, my lady,’ Wendy chuckled as laid the plates on the table.

5 minutes later, the younger girl sneakily wrapped her arms around Irene’s waist and rested her chin on her shoulder.

‘Smells good,’ the younger girl commented and Irene almost couldn’t concentrate on making those eggs.

‘Y-yes,’ she stuttered.

‘Cute,’ Wendy hummed as she rocked both their bodies gently from left to right.

‘Wait, I’m cooking,’ Irene replied seriously.

‘Okay. The lady wants to focus on cooking, the lady shall focus on cooking,’ Wendy cooed.

--

They both had their breakfast with different facial expressions. Wendy occasionally looking up at Irene with a cheeky grin while Irene blushed even more when she accidentally held Wendy’s gaze longer than intended.

Since it was a Saturday morning, it was their routine to catch a movie together. Wendy thought they should both watch Frozen together since Irene wanted to improve in her English.

‘Your lips look kinda dry,’ Wendy mumbled while they were halfway into the movie.

Irene blinked. She thought Wendy was focusing on the movie all along. Why was she suddenly telling her about her dry lips?

‘I’ll sip some water! I hope that will help,’ Irene answered brightly.

‘I don’t think you need water,’ Wendy muttered as she lean forward and pressed her lips against Irene’s.

‘Oh,’ Irene mumbled after they broke apart.

‘Oh?’ Wendy was surprised at her answer.

‘I think my lips needs to be dry every time so you can kiss me,’ Irene’s face was coloured crimson red upon hearing herself saying those words.

‘I don’t think I need sugar anyway,’ Wendy chuckled as she planted a soft kiss against Irene’s forehead.

End

 

//

Request: Can somebody please do an edit for my one-shots for WenRene? Just a simple one will do *-* You can talk more to me on twitter : hidden_toxic