Butterflies

Glitters in bottles

Butterflies

A/N : A little bit of fluff would do some good. (I haven't been writing for long so my skills might not be as good as before... )

Lines on her forehead were forming, eyes squinting in concentration, in her lower right lip between her two rows of white teeth, Irene mentally cursed.

One last time before she wins this. She had to win this.

“Irene, quit -“

“No, wait. I’m going to win this!”

“Be quick!”

“Yeah, yeah. Don’t rush me. Patience is virtue.” TaeYeon rolled her eyes upon hearing that sentence.

Irene never concentrated this hard on anything, except for this. It made her sleep lesser, stayed in the dorm more frequently and socialize a little lesser. Not that Irene is a social butterfly or anywhere near that status, but previously before this came out, she would have, at least, bothered getting her feet onto the wooden floor outside of the dorm. But now, she wouldn’t even say “hi” to anyone except for TaeYeon and Sunny.

Seeing the reflection of some demon being slayed on Irene’s glasses, TaeYeon knew what was going to happen next.

“Yes!” the corner of her right lips turned upwards, forming a lazy smirk. “Level up!”

“Okay, now that you’re already at level 50 of the game, can we go out for lunch? I’m starving,” the older girl begged. She has been waiting for Irene for the past thirty minutes while the latter managed to slay 3 demons and met 2 new gamers in the game.

The bottom left of the game blinked several times at Irene.

[RapperXo] : Good job! Up for another round?

[CabbageLady] : Would love to, but my roommate’s starving, so I’ll probably have to go get lunch with her.

[RapperXo] : Right! It’s lunch time already. Will you be online later?

[CabbageLady] : Most probably. See you later!

CabbageLady has logged out

Irene stood up and gently bent her body backwards, showing silvers of her white tummy. TaeYeon shook her head.

“Honestly, if I didn’t have a girlfriend, I would probably date you.”

“An affair is always welcomed,” Irene managed to dodge the pillow coming towards her direction.

//

Weekends were the best days where Irene loved.

On weekdays, TaeYeon will be doing some revision and skyping with Sunny (though Irene can never understand it at all since Sunny’s dorm is just three rooms down the hallway), Irene will be gaming while doing her revision.

It is possible, Irene wanted to fight back that one time when TaeYeon told her that it is totally impossible to be gaming while doing revision papers. But knowing the older girl, Irene can never win the argument no matter how logical she sounded.

On weekends, Irene gets to sleep in for an extra hour before she does her revision and do some gaming.

But the problem (or solution) for this weekend was, there was a power shortage last night.

--

The door burst, followed by this lady whom Irene couldn’t quite figure out because darkness filled the room. TaeYeon came into view with the help of the weak source of light produced by the outside streetlamps.

“There’s a power shortage,” words managed to fall out of TaeYeon’s mouth while she tried to catch her breath.

“Okay…” Irene replied with uncertainty. Why was TaeYeon in a hurry to tell her about the power shortage?

“So you can’t game today.”

Oh.

“And you have to come to Sunny’s dorm to study with us,” the older girl supported herself by resting her body on the wall. TaeYeon looked so worn out, for some weird reason.

“Did you just have ?” Irene asked before she covered with her hands.

“That’s not the main point. The thing is, Wendy shares the same dorm as Sunny.”

Ohhh.

The blonde just sat on her bed with no emotions on her face. Time seemed to have slipped past her with no intentions to stop. Irene gulped just by thinking how awkward it will be when she sees Wendy.

“Okay so I’ve got your study materials in Sunny’s dorm already. Now all you have to do, is to get moving!”

The door clicked shut with an excited TaeYeon dragging a reluctant Irene down the hall way.

--

She took in all of what she saw; all the differences in one look.

The walls were coated pearl white, two long, study tables situated opposite of one another at the other sides of the room and two simple beds.

At one glance, Irene was able to figure which bed belonged to who, even though she has never been to Sunny’s dorm at all.

Sunny’s bed had patterns of flowers as her bed sheet with a bright blue pillow, red duvet cover and a brown bear (a gift from TaeYeon which took Irene and her three hours to pick).

Wendy, on the other hand, has a brown bed sheet with white polka dots, a grey pillow and pale orange duvet cover on her bed.

Wendy has such a simple style and Irene loved her for that.

Irene choked at her own thoughts, causing three pairs of eyes to look at her.

“Oh! I forgot to mention. Wendy, we have our two schoolmates here to do revision with us,” Sunny informed as she gently slipped her hand into TaeYeon’s.

“This,” Sunny raised their interlocked hands together. “Is my girlfriend.”

“And the girl next to her is-“

“Irene. I know her,” Wendy smiled lightly before she stretched out her hand for a handshake.

Blood ran cold in her veins, causing her fingers to shake and her knees almost gave way. Irene never, ever, know that Wendy knows her, let alone her name. This sudden wave of happiness crashed in her stomach. Irene wanted to faint.

Wendy’s smile grew larger when she saw Irene freezing there, not knowing what to do. She went forward to gently grab Irene’s right hand for a firm shake.

Another shock of electricity passed through Irene’s body, bringing her back to the present.

“O-oh. H-hi,” Irene stuttered and she swear she almost wanted to die. TaeYeon ducked her head into the crook of Sunny’s neck to not laugh out loud at how pale Irene looked.

--

It took them half an hour to break the ice before the pair got comfortable with each other.

Wendy stifled a laugh when she turned back and saw the other pair snogging together. Had they had lipsticks on, those stains will probably give them away if Wendy didn’t catch this scene.

With her earplugs in, Irene could barely figure out what was going on in the room. Biting the tip of her pen gently and scrunching her nose, the blonde looked almost like a living doll under the warm fluorescent light shining from the top of the ceiling.

Wendy managed to hide her smile but her eyes darted from her biology notes to Irene and back to her notes and to Irene…

Focus, Wendy, she reminded herself silently.

The three hour study session was productive for the two who entered the honour’s roll and much more of a dating and flirting session for the couple.

Within that three hours, there had been accidental nudging of elbows to arms and exchange of a few “I’m sorry” and “it’s okay” with fluttering eyelashes and shy smiles. It was until when Wendy accidentally tapped her pen on the back of Irene’s right palm before the latter removed her earplugs and gave her a full smile.

“We haven’t been talking much though,” Irene broke the ice and didn’t miss how Wendy looked down to smile.

“I know. I just didn’t know how to say “hi” to you every time I saw you down the hallways or in the food courts. My bad,” Wendy gave a light bow.

The corners of her lips turned up and Irene plugged in her earplugs.

And they continued studying with occasional exchange and catching each other’s glances before they ducked their heads in embarrassment and looked down.

When the couple informed them that it’s about time to go to bed, Irene felt her heart sinking.

All good things have to come to an end, her mind spoke before her heart said “stop being over dramatic”.

While the couple swept their stationeries into their pencil cases painful slow, Wendy took a piece of white paper, scribbled onto it before sliding it across the table to Irene.

“See you next week?”

“Next week?” Irene looked up from the paper to Wendy.

“Study date. You’re booked for a study date with me,” Wendy tilted her head rightwards, looking at Irene with huge puppy eyes and a small smile.

“Okay. I’ll see you.”

And that was how Friday night ended.

//

Irene drummed her fingers on her study desk. Sure, she was elated last night that she finally talked to her crush yesterday. Heck, they even went on a study date and was booked for next week as well.

But this blonde, named Irene, was very loyal to her game and her game partner as well.

“RapperXo” was her partner in her game and by “partner” she meant that she and RapperXo were a couple in the game together.

Don’t laugh at Irene. She’s a very loyal person regardless in real life or in her game.

She let out a sigh before she flipped open her laptop and logged on to her game.

No messages from RapperXo

That couldn’t be. Irene wasn’t even online the whole of last night and RapperXo didn’t seem to mind.

Or was RapperXo not online as well?

[RapperXo] : Hey, sorry, school had power shortage last night. Everyone wasn’t able to get online last night.

Speak of the devil

[CabbageLady] : Wow, same. My school had a power shortage too. Is there… by any chance, we’re from the same school?

[RapperXo] : Perhaps.

Pause

The infamous pause from RapperXo has always drove Irene mad. For instance, there was once when the pair of them were on a mission to kill this vampire in the game but RapperXo was lost and Irene had spammed her for 20 minutes before the latter appeared in front of CabbageLady with a pair of long knife and a head, belonging to the vampire.

Another very fine example was how Irene wanted to promise herself to never go online after she figured she pushed too hard about wanting to know the gender of RapperXo, in real life.

In the game character, RapperXo was a girl. But for them to be a “couple” in the game, there had to be some feelings involved. Irene viewed this game as an important part of her life and so are her gamer friends important to her as well.

It was difficult for Irene to decipher on the gender of her based on the username “RapperXo”.

So that one time, Irene hesitated before she gently punched the buttons on her keyboard.

[CabbageLady] : Rapper, I have a question to ask you.

[RapperXo] : Shoot

[CabbageLady] : Don’t be too soon to answer…

[RapperXo] : What is it?

[CabbageLady] : Are you…

[CabbageLady] : a girl or a guy in real life…?

Pause…

Pause…

Pause…

It took a total of 15 minutes before Irene saw that RapperXo was typing.

[RapperXo] : What do you think? Do you think I’m a girl or a guy?

[CabbageLady] : Hey… I asked you a question first.

[RapperXo] : This is not ask.fm

Now it’s Irene’s turn to pause.

Irene scratched her head and she could feel her stomach churn at how she had just embarrassed herself. As much as she was protected behind a computer screen, she could still feel her cheeks burning.

[RapperXo] : I’m sorry if I sounded a little hostile. I was just joking around. I’m a girl (:

Ohhh…

[RapperXo] : and you? Are you a girl as well?

[RapperXo] : Or is the “lady” in  your username a trick to lure everyone?

[CabbageLady] : Well…

It took Irene 10 minutes to reply because she wanted to stir some reaction out of RapperXo. But that girl seemed to know that Irene was teasing and didn’t mind waiting. This mind game…

[CabbageLady] : I’m a girl as well. (:

[RapperXo] : Well, it’s good to know. Goodnight, Lady (:

Never underestimate a small curve that leaned sideways followed by a colon; this emoticon often fools people and makes butterflies form in their stomachs.

--

Back to the present, Irene waited patiently with her drumming her fingers on the table while gulping some water to ease the slight stirring in her stomach.

What if RapperXo was in her school? What if they were from the same school? Which class is she in? Does she major in accounting like how Irene does? How old is she?

All these thoughts were thrown to the back of her head when RapperXo replied.

[RapperXo] : I might not be able to tell you. But…

[CabbageLady] : But?

[RapperXo] : But if you don’t mind meeting me in real life, maybe we will know each other more.

[RapperXo] : We’ve been a couple in this game for more than 6 months. I suppose I should be given the privilege to know more about you?(:

[CabbageLady] : Sure thing. It’s just, when and where do we meet?

[RapperXo] : This Wednesday, 1pm, if it’s okay for you?

[CabbageLady] : Yup, sure. See you!

RapperXo has logged out

//

Wendy was the type of girl that everyone idolized in their school. Her ability to strum a guitar with her strong vocals was what made people started to look at her properly. Ever since that performance she did for the school during its anniversary, Wendy gained herself a truck of admirers.

Not only was Wendy musically talented, she was study-smart as well.

For the past two years in college, she easily managed to land herself into the honour’s roll. As much as Irene has always been in it, she never wanted people to know her.

Irene never liked associating herself with fame, like how others would love to steal a fraction of it.     

But unlike others, Irene didn’t know Wendy after the performance. She knew the girl ever since she accidentally bumped into the girl in a grey hoodie, cradling a stack of books in her arms.

She never talked much but she had an easy smile and a pair of kind eyes and Irene felt guilty if she didn’t pick up the books that are lying spread open on the floor.

“T-thank you,” Wendy stuttered as Irene got hold of the former’s hands and laid them wide open with palms facing up before stacking those books neatly onto them.

“You’re welcomed!” Irene patted her shoulders gently before she skipped her way down the hall way.

//

On Tuesday night, her palms were clammy when she received the chat from her.

[RapperXo] : I’ll meet you at Block T of Ging High School at 1pm sharp.

[CabbageLady] : That’s exactly where my dorm is located! I suppose you’re from Block S or T as well?

[RapperXo] : You’ll know tomorrow. Have a good rest (:

RapperXo has logged out.

Irene her lower lips between her teeth. She knew something was coming her way. She had a feeling that RapperXo belongs to Block T or S but she was certain it had to be Block T.

But who is she?

She climbed onto her bed and hide under her covers, willing herself to sleep. Unlike other days where Irene will get knocked out and go into her dreamland in 5 minutes’ time upon hitting her bed, sleep eluded her that night, and she knew that RapperXo could be one of her friends.

--

The afternoon sky was a deep sky blue with few clouds floating around. Irene pulled the curtains apart and checked the basketball court that was situated directly below her dorm. Nope, nobody was there.

Easily fitting herself with a soft, blue blouse with white cotton collars and a pair of black high waist shorts, Irene looked simple yet stunning. Her pair of high waist shorts hugged her lower curves nicely before revealing a pair of long legs with smooth skin.

She slipped her feet into a pair of sandals, snatching some light from the Sun.

As she galloped down the stairs (with the risk of her almost breaking her legs because she had accidentally missed a step), she wondered if someone unexpected would turn up.

She would love it if RapperXo was someone she knew, then she could start saying how this person crept on her and slowly pass it off as a joke and they could continue being game buddies for as long as time permits.

Not far from her view, she saw a brunette sitting on a wooden ledge, leaning against the wall with eyes wandering around.

Irene got closer to the brunette before the latter smiled at her.

What is she doing here?

“Hey, who are you waiting for?”

“You.”

--

Irene couldn’t register the shock that flashed past her face, neither can she remember what she had uttered out loud. What she could remember was how she almost jumped up to hug RapperXo (or we shall call her “Xo” for now).

They spent their time for lunch in this simple restaurant with soft lights and oak brown dining tables. Irene didn’t know why she was this happy to truly be able to know how Xo was, but all Irene knew was her worries during the past nights wouldn’t matter anymore.

Because this person standing right in front of her is who that matters most.

They talked about how school has been pretty harsh to them before vacation and how they spent most of their time gaming during vacation while trying to catch up on some sleep. They talked about the characters in the game with some stolen glances and a few flirtatious smiles.

She was like who she was in game yet she wasn’t like who was in game.

“Can I walk you back to your dorm?” Irene asked politely, hoping the answer will be a “yes”.

“I don’t think I can ever reject your offer,” Xo smiled back easily. Irene reminded her lungs to work.

The walk back to their dorm took around 20 minutes. Normally, Irene preferred taking a bus or at least cycle back to her dorm. But today was a special day and walking seemed like a good way to burn some calories.

The elevator dinged and stopped at Irene’s level.

As she heard Xo pushed her keys into the lock, and how the door was gently pushed opened, Irene managed to grab her arm.

“Thank you for today,” Irene looked at her with such clear eyes that could melt anyone.

“Thank you for coming too,” Xo replied as she played with her keys. “By the way, is the study date still on?”   

“You bet, Wendy.” They allowed the silence to fill the gap. They never had enough words to convey how much they truly enjoyed the presence of one another, so they let silence do its job. They knew how expressive their eyes were, how a lazy smirk could send lips stretching across faces and how a simple touch causes electricity to pulse through their veins.

//

“But Wendy, how did you know that I’m CabbageLady?” Irene frowned as she looked at Wendy while eating her ice cream.

“And how do you know I’m RapperXo?” Wendy teased as she saw those knitted eyebrows and a cute pout.

“No, but seriously how do you know I’m CabbageLady?” Irene frowned a lot harder and she knew that’s the trick to making Wendy confess her crimes.

“Because I saw you gaming that time in the game room of our school,” Wendy gently touched the lines on Irene’s forehead, trying to smoothen them out.

“Oh, that,” Irene smiled at the distant memory.

“You know, I’m kind of afraid of butterflies,” the younger girl mentioned briefly.

“Yeah? Is there any near us?” Irene looked around, checking their surroundings. They were at the basketball court. No bugs will be near them right?

“But I kinda like those flying in my stomach whenever I see you,” Wendy grinned childishly and Irene just looked up at the building, bubbles forming in her heart.

“We’ve been together for around seven months and you still act like we’re courting one another.”

“I know you like it.”

“Maybe I do,” Irene said softly before she laid her head on Wendy’s shoulders.

//

When she pushed open the door to the gaming room, she saw this blonde girl squinting hard at the computer screen. Her right wrist resting on the gaming table while her fingers swiftly clicking the buttons on the mouse.

Her game character was dodging the demons coming her way. She threw one of her shiny pills, which attracts the demons to chase after it before clawing the object’s body, towards one of the demons and watch them self-destruct one another.

While others’ screaming and shouting of profanity filled the noise, this lady sat there quietly, not muttering a single word, just focusing on killing demons.

Wendy liked her concentration. Before she left, she asked the man at the counter if he knew that lady and he said the latter frequent this gaming room.

She walked slightly nearer and spotted her gaming ID.

CabbageLady

Wendy pulled up her grey hoodie cap and laughed quietly at how ridiculously adorable that username was.

//

She clicked her pen as she tried solving this theory-based question for one of her tutorials.

Wendy had been sitting next to her for the past two hours and Irene knew what the two were doing behind them.

Study date? More like a flirting date for Sunny and TaeYeon.

Her eyes drifted to the laptop sticker pasted on Wendy’s MacBook cover.

“Do you game?” graphite scratching against white paper, Irene slide the paper towards Wendy.

She took the paper before scribbling a “sometimes I do. ‘Slayers’ is a good game”.

She hanged on to the breath she just in, for a fraction longer. That blue, grey sticker was a custom made sticker which Irene carefully chose the colour and drew a simple music note on it for RapperXo.

//

End