Colours

Glitters in bottles

Pairing: WenRene with hinted JeTi

 

 

Word Count: 1700+

AU where characters see colours in shades until they meet & fall in love with each other

Genre: Not wholesale fluff.

A/N: Not sure if anyone tried before this plot because my friend & I were discussing something about Soulmates and this popped up. Keep your expectations low for this fic. Thank you!

//

She grimaced as she felt the needle piercing open the skin of her index finger. Two droplets of red leaked from her finger tips, dripped and slowly mixed with the translucent liquid.

“You’re good to go,” the nurse laughed after she wrapped a band aid on the girl’s index finger.

With wobbly steps, it was a wonder how she didn’t fall until an arm steadied her.

“Seriously, Wendy?” Tiffany grabbed her arms with steady grip. “It’s just a blood test and you’re acting like you had a blood donation.”

“Well, the red fluid dripped from my veins to the liquid so it can be counted as a blood donation, just with minimum volume,” Wendy stuck her tongue out at Tiffany.

“Make sure to come back in 3 days’ time!” The nurse called after them just before they pushed open the glass door.

//

Bringing coffee cup to her lips, she sipped quietly. Students with nervous faces were scattered around the length of the hall, nobody seemed particularly excited to how the results will be.

The clock ticked at 2pm sharp, with shuffling of feet and dragging of chairs against hollow wooden floor; empty chairs were filled and silence gradually wrapped the hall.

The ceremony was simple; all students will have their names followed by the section they are designated to, flashed on the screen, before they proceed to the respective sections they belong to.

Bae Joo Hyun, Irene, Section B

--

“Are you even serious? I mean I’m gonna see blue until I date this person? And the colours will fit right in place?” Irene pushed her hand through her hair as her body slumped in defeat in her seat.

“It makes you cherish what you see and have after you met her,” Jessica answered as she smiled at a distant memory.

“Cheesy Jessi,” Tiffany had crimsons of red on both her cheeks as she rested both her palms on Jessica’s shoulders. “I see a burning person opposite of me.”

“Right, cut it out guys. I’m still seeing shades of royal blue,” Irene sighed and pouted.

“Oh, come on, you’re not alone. I’ve got a friend who took the test today as well. She belonged to Section A,” Tiffany ruffled the former’s hair.

“And who is that?”

“Wendy.”

Like paint mixed with water, the blue in her world became fainter and clearer. Trying to get used to the lighter shade, Irene shut her eyes and gentle pinched her nose bridge.

“Something wrong?”

“Nope, just getting used to the new shade of blue.”

Jessica and Tiffany exchanged looks knowingly before they patted Irene’s head.

//

With faint music playing at the back ground and sounds of rain drops falling against her glass windows echoing through her house, there was nothing more stressful than trying to identify something she didn’t even know was missing.

Colour-coded cards with labels were spread across the marble tills, Wendy grunted with frustration as she sat cross-legged on the floor.

She had been doing this exercise for the past 2 hours without a break and it was taking a toll on her brain.

Grey is in check, Red seems still as bright as it used to be and Blue still calms her down because it’s her favourite colour.

“Need some help over there?” her American friend flopped clumsily on the couch.

“Yes please. All the colours still look the same,” Wendy sighed softly.

“What are your least favourite colours?” Tiffany prompted.

“Black, orange, I don’t know,” Wendy buried her face in her palms.

“Also, Black is a shade not a colour,” the latter teased.

“Whatever, just help me with this?”

“I don’t know. Look around, are all the colours the same?”

“Nothing seems off. The table and chairs still looked like no fresh coat of paint was over it, my MacBook Air still has its silver top and the couch looks white.”

“The couch looks white?”

“The couch looks white,” Wendy confirmed her sentence.

“The couch is pink!” Tiffany lifted an eyebrow at her as she jammed her finger at the soft leather of it.

“No,” Wendy raced through her doors of memories. “I mean, yes, the couch was pink. Why does it look like white to me right now?”

A nudge on her ribcage made her jump out of her thoughts. Tiffany pulled out the information booklet hidden in her bag and tapped her finger against that one sentence.

The colour that is unperceived by the students in Section B will remain white.

//

The School has a tradition, that all students must take a blood test when they are in sophomore year. It was said that students who attended this School will be able to meet their soul mates regardless of the different courses offered here.

Students who belonged to Section A, will only be able to perceive shades of one particular colour that their soul mates fancy the most.

Those who belonged to Section B see all colours except the favourite colour of their soulmates.

All things will go back to normal once the soul mates meet and eventually fall in love.

Shades of colours differ on how close both the soulmates are physically and emotionally.

//

A few weeks after the announcement of the respective groups that each student belong to, the School decided to mix the students from the two different groups in the hope of increasing the chances of soulmates bumping into one another.

The weather wasn’t helping with the humidity and crowd on the field. Wendy had flacks of tissue papers sticking on her skin with the perspiration from her pores while her tendrils of hair were all over her face.

“Just to meet my soul mate,” Wendy rolled her eyes.

“Hey school mate, a bottle of drink for you?” A girl with a pair of huge eyes peered back at Wendy.

“Thanks,” she reached out for the bottle and smiled in relief at how the condensation surrounding the bottle slightly cooled her down.

“Tough huh? Trying to find your soul mate just using all these colours,” Irene said as she plopped right next to Wendy.

“You bet,” Wendy chuckled. “My favourite colour’s blue but I just can’t seem to find the Pink I need?”

“You’re finding for Pink?” A younger girl popped right in front of Wendy.

“Yeah, your favourite colour’s pink?”

“Yes, it is! And I’m covered in shades in blue.”

“Well, seems like we found each other!” Wendy stood up excitedly and both the younger girl and she walked out of the field.

If colours had motions, Irene could easily depict the scene. She first saw light, gentle blue, close to clear blue water when she talked to Wendy. But after Joy appeared and how they seemingly had a common topic about their favourite colours, Irene saw Deep Ocean blue, a kind of blue that part of her tells her that it was Wendy’s favourite and she kinda want to drown in it.

//

Key in hole, she pushed open the door and kicked her sneakers off her feet. Nothing that Joy had told Wendy made the latter felt that things were in place. Joy didn’t fancy the kind of blue that she was trying to describe.

The two had a short window shopping trip and almost everything looked white to Wendy, even the pair of shoes she wore in the morning (it was red in colour), had patches of white on it.

“Your date didn’t work, did it?” Tiffany asked in a teasing tone.

“I guess not. Colours that were in my vision almost became full white when she talked to me,” Wendy blew air up to her fringe.

“Good luck trying to appreciate everyone you see,” Tiffany stretched lazily before she walked back to her room. “Goodnight.”

--

“Tiffany?” Wendy’s hand wrapped around the door knob as she pushed it down.

“Come innnn,” Tiffany replied groggily as she tried rubbing sleep away from her eyes.

“The sofa turned pink for a while, like 2 minutes just now,” Wendy bit her lips as she sat on the edge of Tiffany’s soft mattress.

“Oh?” Tiffany was fully awake after she heard the word ‘pink’. “Who did you think about?”

“I think I found her; the girl with big eyes,” she continued smiling.

“Well, that’s good then? I need to sleep and so do you,” Tiffany patted her shoulders gently and shoved her out of the room.

That girl with big eyes, soft smile and a sweet voice.

What took Wendy so long to notice?

 

//

Weeks have past and Irene still sees shades of blue in her world. It was starting to become frustrating to her; how she didn’t actually want to attend this school but her parents forced her to.

As much as her brain nagged at her every day to find Wendy and make her fall in love with her to end this blue misery, Irene still didn’t make a move.

After all, who was to say who belonged to who?

Exasperated at the ambiguity of the situation, Irene flipped her duvet cover over her head and shut her eyes tight. Only with eyes shut tight, will the blue fade away. Irene didn’t mind if she saw dark shades if it meant that she could escape the shades of blue every now and then.

--

Her attempts of falling asleep were futile with each ball of thoughts racing in her head.

Hissing at how warm her tiles were when her feet touched them, she raced towards her door when the doorbell rang.

“Girl with big eyes!” Wendy squealed as Irene opened her door.

“Girl with big eyes?” Irene smiled sheepishly at how ridiculously amazing Wendy was despite her being dressed in her banana pyjamas.

“Yes, you’re the girl with big eyes,” Wendy continued standing outside of Irene’s door at midnight.

“Okay, will you come in, girl in pyjamas?” Irene tugged the corner of Wendy’s pyjamas and pulled her in.

//

Wendy was the chosen few to present her ideas about “Soul mates” to the class after meeting her.

‘A part of me was ridiculed by the idea of having a soulmate yet a part of me knew that there was a possibility that she’ll be somewhere out there. It didn’t come so easily; I hadn’t just meet her and knew straight away that she’ll be the colour that I can’t miss out in life.

It took me weeks and close to months to realize that she could be the one, at least I thought she was the one.

It’s by chance that we met and by choice that we stay.’

Everyone in the room nodded and Irene hid behind her red hood, hiding the stretch across her face behind her sweater as Wendy sat next to her after her speech.

fin