Precious Haru

Precious Haru
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Mama, Papa, I'll sleep and wait for you in the clouds. We'll be together again, right?"

▬▬▬▬ ▬▬( ► )▬▬ ▬▬▬▬

-Precious Haru-

“Haru noona, is it raining again?”

“Yeah, are you sick again? Should I get the doctor?”

“No, I’ll just cover myself with the blanket. I’m going to sleep, Haru noona,”

“Okay. Good night, Yoogeun,”

Jung Yoogeun is my only friend in the hospital. We understood each other because he has the same disease as me. They call it malignant brain tumor. 

But unlike me, Yoogeun is an orphan. Not that kind of orphan, his parents are still alive. But he never sees them and they don't visit. The nurse that takes care of him said that his mama is getting married to another man and that his mama said Yoogeun is no good to her. Yoogeun's papa doesn't have a face. I don't know what he looks like.  

It is raining again. The windows seem lonely with the rain beating them over and over again; they must be cold since rain is usually cold. But, the room is warm and my body is warm, and I want to share the heat. I trace the water that is sliding down the window on Yoogeun’s and my hospital room –on the sixth floor.

From a distance, I see Mama and Papa. They are coming; they are coming to see me. Like the clouds, I want to cry because like the rain my tears would be able to touch my parents. As always Mama is so pretty in her white dress and Papa is handsome in his business suit. Papa has to be handsome because Mama is pretty, they make the perfect match. Papa and Mama are getting closer to the hospital, and I can see them holding hands. I trace the window again, except this time, I am tracing Mama.

“Mama, are you okay?”

 

A week ago I heard that Mama is sick. I heard it from the doctors. She needs a kidney transplant, one that can match her, like how Papa is handsome and matches Mama's beauty.

It happened when I saw Grandma one day. She was in a hurry, not to my room but to the doctor’s. I had followed Grandma. I thought she had forgotten where my room was. But Grandma knew where she was going, and that was when I heard them.

“Your daughter needs to undergo a kidney transplant as soon as possible. Both of her kidneys are in serious condition. If we can’t find a perfect match for her, I’m afraid you’ll lose both your daughter and granddaughter,” The Doctor says. Then I heard Grandma, I think she was crying. Grandma never cried before, not even when she came to see me in the hospital, on my first day. 

“Doctor, please save my daughter. Please, I’m begging you, is there any way I can save my only daughter? Please!” Grandma was begging the Doctor, and what came next was very important.

“The only kidney we could find that was compatible to Gain is… Byun Haru,”

 

I can hear Mama and Papa coming. Papa always walks very loudly, he often wakes up the neighbors, and they would tell me to discipline him. But he never listens, always making excuses that he can't help the way he walks or that he is doing a solo runway fashion show. Yet, Papa never dresses in different clothes, except for his different colored suits. 

“Byun Haru~!” Papa’s call forces me to leave the window’s side and join him. He slides his hands under my armpits and carries me over to my bed, then he sits me down. Next, he sits beside me with a bounce, making my bed squeak. It started making that sound because Papa always sits on it with all his weight, something he’s been doing for the past two years. This kid-papa never changes.

“Look what I bought for you, Byun Haru!” He lifts both hands up, both balled into strong fists. I can tell they are strong because there are a lot of wrinkles, why did he have to squeeze his hands so hard? He might break what he is holding.

I want to smack his hands away for being loud, but Papa’s happy face made me smile. “What is it? Show me, show me!”

I guess it’s normal for me to be just as loud as Papa at times. People say children are like their parents.

Papa opens his hands, and what do I see? He disappoints me. There is nothing in his bare hands. I sigh, and he knows I am upset, so this time he meant it and pulled out a bag from behind him. Papa is always like this, he likes to play around and pull tricks on me until I pout.

He places the bag before me, and I can see all the pink and purple flowers on the bag, it is beautiful!

“Oh? What’s inside, Papa?”

“Papa brought you…” Papa reaches into the bag and pulls out something; it is the white teddy bear that I love the most, “Tah-dah, its Snow Beary!” He shakes the bear in front of me in a playful way, and the sight of Snow Beary makes me happy.

Papa hands me Snow Beary, and I hug him tightly, his puffy and furry cheeks still had the band-aid on it. Mama bought it for me a long time ago, she said when I got better then I could remove the band-aid on Snow Beary, and we will both get well together. I can’t wait to peel the bandage off him.

“Papa, where’s Mama? I thought I heard her with you?” I am sure I heard Mama’s heels on the ground.

“Oh, she’s talking to the doctor. Mommy will be here in a bit, okay, Haru?” Papa tries to mess up my hair, but luckily, I had the beanie that grandma made for me. I counted Papa petting my beanie twice.

“They why aren’t you with Mama?”

“Because I miss Haru, and since I really miss her I came in first,” 

“Papa, I love you,” Papa leans in, and I hug him. He’s a really big guy, one day, I hope I can grow to be as big as him, even bigger than mama, but less pretty than her. She will always be first place as long as I can be as big as Papa and am able to protect her.

If I can go back to school one day where Papa teaches, I want to tell my teacher, Ms. Roh, that when I grow up, I would want to be just like my Papa. I want to protect Mama and take care of other children, just like Papa.

It's possible later. Right?

▬▬▬▬ ▬▬( ♦ )▬▬ ▬▬▬▬
-END OF HARU'S POV-

At the light blue counter before the nurses’ desks, Gain is filling out some papers regarding her own daughter, wanting to fill everything out thoroughly and correctly. She didn’t notice the man in a long white coat leaning against the counter beside her. He admires her from head to toe, and with a cheeky smile, he slaps her on the arm with the paperwork in his hand. As if she has seen a ghost, Gain looks towards him with wide eyes. 

“Oh. Doctor Kwon,”

The handsome man known as Doctor Kwon frowns, he is not happy with the way she greets him. They are way past the level they no longer need to use formal callings. To show her that he isn’t pleased, he takes a step closer to her and continues to lean against the counter.

Raising an eyebrow, he asks, “What did you call me?”

“Doc—“

The Doctor shushes her with one finger to her lips. She is taken aback, but she doesn’t move from his touch. Obviously, he is doing his job of being her doctor by “checking” up on her.

After getting the attention of some nurses, interns, and other doctors from around the area, he removes his finger and smiles. “Good, you pass,”

“Pass?” Gain repeat.

“Yeah, you seem to be in a healthy condition,” Doctor Kwon says with a sly smile.

Gain scoffs. After all, he is known as one of the best and youngest doctors in Myeonggyu Hospital. But what is more important than his status is that he has had a crush on Byun Gain since she first came to the hospital, and he became her doctor for that day.

The Doctor is fully aware of the fact that she is a married woman; in fact, she has been a married woman since her teen years. Even so, he can’t control his feelings for her, it was love at first glance, and it was his first love.

As the dark hair doctor let his patient finish her paperwork, he left to check on another patient of his, seven-year-old boy, Yoogeun, who resides in the same room as Haru. Walking in, he notices Baekhyun and Haru sleeping on her bed, Baekhyun’s arms are tightly wrapped around her tiny body. They are sleeping soundlessly close together. Across from them, Yoogeun is watching enviously.

The young doctor is relieved knowing that Baekhyun is sleeping. The mischievous teacher is always causing problems when he sees the doctor, and only around the teacher does the doctor try to act cool and innocent. He walks over to the boy’s bed and sits near the foot of his bed.

“Yoogeun, what’s wrong?” He asks in a soft voice, not wanting to wake the ones sleeping.

Yoogeun blinks a few times with a pout, and then he turns to the doctor. “Dr. Kwon, were you able to find my dad?”

The latter shakes his head but smile at the boy, wanting him to know that it was alright; that they would be able to contact the boy’s father soon, and that he would come. However, Yoogeun didn’t buy it, and the envious look on his small face transforms into a more upset expression.

To comfort him, the doctor reaches over and ruffles his hair then crinkles his nose, “We’ll find him soon. And when we do, this handsome doctor will personally bring him before our Yoogeun and make him kneel until he learns his lesson,” He waits for the boy’s gloomy appearance to brighten up, “Sounds good, right?”

Instead of getting an answer he sees the boy’s eyes turning back to the sleeping pair.

Baekhyun opens his eyes, drawing in a heavy breath. “Oh, it was just a nightmare… Thank goodness,” he says as he looks down at Haru’s sleeping face. With a bright smile, he pulls her closer in and mumbles about his bad dream, “If I’m lucky, I won’t have to see his face at all today,”

“You’re not talking about this face are you?”

Baekhyun turns his head quickly seeing the victim looking at him. It is Dr. Kwon, his arms are crossed and he has an eerie smile on his face.

“Kwon Jiyong?!” Baekhyun stops himself when Haru moves a little in her sleep. He turns his attention back to her and makes sure she is still in dreamland. Once he confirms that she is, he turns back to the doctor, who gestures for him to have a chat somewhere else.

The rain that has been pouring all day was still taking place. In Dr. Kwon's office, he and the teacher, father of Haru's, was standing near each other, looking through the window together.  They each had an ice can of coffee in their grips. Although outside seems pretty cold, inside the hospital it is warm and cozy. To break the silence Jinyong begins, "I know you're her father but should you be sleeping in a hospital bed when you're not a patient?"

Baekhyun scoffs after taking a sip then answer, "So? Should I have bought my own bed in and placed it beside her just so you wouldn't lecture me like right now?" The teacher asks this time facing the doctor's side with his whole body. 

"Why would you do that?" Jiyong spins his head in slow-motion toward the other man and looks him right in the eyes, "I'm telling you this right now because you were breaking a hospital rule. So, why would you bringing in your own bed make any difference?" Jiyong turns back to view the boring gray sky as he takes a sip from his cool drink. 

"Wanting to sleep and hold my sick daughter is breaking a hospital rule? Where exactly did it say that?" Baekhyun asks growing furious. 

Jiyong finishes his can and takes one last look at Baekhyun, "If you don't believe me then nevermind. Just don't do it anymore," Before he turns to leave he tosses his can into the trash bin and exit his own office. Baekhyun sighs heavily and stabs his bottom lip with his tongue. 

Baekhyun heads back to Haru's room but before he can enter he hear laughter. It isGain and Haru's laughing for sure. Through the crack he peeks in and saw that Gain and Haru were playing a game with Yoogeun, the three flip cards, matches them, and laughs when they've found the matching card. Baekhyun smiles along with them when he could feel their contagious peaceful and happiness mood at the time.

Deciding not to disturb their enjoyable moment Baekhyun thought he should get some work done but before he can depart, Haru's cry for her mother is heard and Baekhyun peeks to see what is happening. 

Gain was unconscious on Haru's bed with the little girl and Yoogeun shaking her, trying to wake her up. Baekhyun dashes in, "Gain! What's wrong?!" He cups her chin with one hand and shakes her a little. "Gain!" He had one hand supporting her back from completely touching the bed. "Haru's Mother!"

On a dark blue beam seating of five, Baekhyun is alone waiting for Dr. Kwon to give him the news. But as always the doctor must be taking his sweet time just chatting with his favorite patient, Baekhyun's wife, Gain.

Haru walks over to her dad dragging her exhausted legs. 

▬▬▬▬ ▬▬( ♦ )▬▬ ▬▬▬▬
-HARU'S POV-

Papa has his head down when I and Snow Beary walk over to him. He didn't notice me since he is really worried about Mama. I want to tell Papa that Mama is sick and that the doctor says she is in a serious condition. 

That's why they move her under Dr. Kwon, Mama's good friend. But Papa didn't like him and I know Dr. Kwon means no harm when he fights with Papa, he told Mama that. 

I touch Papa's smooth hair and he looks up, his eyes are red. 

It's the first time I've seen Papa cry. Last time when the doctors told Mama and Papa that I'm sick, Mama cried.

Now that Mama is sick, Papa is crying.

Who will cry when Papa is sick? 

Me. No matter where I'll be, I'll cry when Papa is sick. 

Papa sat me on his lap and held me close to him. Since he's been crying he now has a running nose, I can hear him sniffing from time to time. Papa ask me a question and I don't know if it's because I'm sick, but I can barely hear him, "Haru, why aren't you asleep yet huh? Why aren't you in bed like Yoogeun?" 

Papa holds Snow Beary too and I pat him on the head, "I was waiting for Papa to come sleep with me. You and Mama," 

Papa's chest jumps like someone tickled him, "I can't sleep with Haru anymore," 

"Why Papa?"

"Well, the doctors won't like it," 

"Why Papa? Why can't family sleep together?"

Every time Papa answer me, his voice keeps dropping. "Right? I asked the doctors the same but they say it's against the rules here," Papa finish and I can tell he is tired. It is late and Papa has work tomorrow since the kids always go to school on Mondays.

When I open my eyes I can see the same lonely window in Yoogeun and my room. I don't know where Mama or Papa slept but I remember sleeping in Papa's arms last night. Since it's morning, are they at work? 

I hope they are. That would mean Mama is all better. 

▬▬▬▬ ▬▬( ♦ )▬▬ ▬▬▬▬
-END OF HARU'S POV-

"You got to be joking," Doctor Kwon says facing another doctor. Dr. Wu can see the horror in his fellow doctor eyes. 

"I'm serious. We've looked through this hospital's files and our neighbors but not one kidney matches Byun Gain," The taller and older doctor explains. Jiyong scoffs. 

"This hospital is so big and has a capacity for five thousand patients but not one matches Gain's?" Jiyong the side of his mouth and waits for an answer. 

"It's not that there isn't one--"

Jiyong cuts him off, "Then what are you waiting for?! Set it up and make sure Gain undergo a surgery this week!" 

The man looks up and eyes Jiyong, "Byun Haru," As if Jiyong hasn't heard him the first time the Chinese-Korean teacher explains, "The only matching kidney is Byun Haru, Byun Gain's daughter," Jiyong is puzzled. 

Byun Haru? Of all people, why the child of only eight years old? Why is her fate so cruel? 

"Byun Haru? Isn't she just eight?" 

"Yes and she's diagnosed with malignant brain tumor,"

"M-malignant brain tumor?! Since when?" 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter