RANT #1 - skyblueroses

r i g h t i n t h e f e e l s • a writing contest >> that's closed, but a new one's linked in Chapter 80!! :)
 

rANT #1 hello skyblueroses =)

HEADER LEFT

trainwreck love

 

oh my gosh.

where to start?

Okay so, as far as my memory goes, I'm pretty sure the first time I read trainwrek love, I found it quite confusing. The beginning was fine, quite engaging, but my confusion started to grow during the middle, and here, I am unable to give you an exact location because I'm actually pretty tired right now and I want to sleep (volleyball training extremely early tomorrow morning) but having just read trainwreck love a second time, I want to keep my comments as accurate as I can make it, since my reactions are fresh (so I can't really remember where it got confusing, and chances are I probably won't be able to once my mind is alive either). I was left extremely confused by the end, and I'm pretty sure I was thinking along the lines of "the hell did I just read?" I was sure I was missing something really important, but I just couldn't understand your story. 

 

But now, having read it a second time, I don't know what kind of immaturity I was still stuck with whenever I first tasted your story, but I can tell you almost everything just clicked. Yes, there has to be the 'almost' because there are a few things I'm a little lost with, and I will address them soon. 

But... Bloody hell, IT JUST ALL CLICKED!!!
It was really amazing, I loved the idea of the story. I have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about when you state in your foreword that you just whipped up some bull writing, "probably cliche as heck". I'LL HAVE NONE OF THAT. NOOOOO idea what youre talking about. Never read anything like it. It's so bloody original that I have to profusely apologise because I actually cannot think of a way to describe how much I've enjoyed this story.

"So what's 'trainwreck love' about?"
"LOL I DON'T KNOW?!?!? IT'S JUST TRAINWRECK LOVE, ALL YOU CAN DO IS LOVE IT."

You have a very laid-back style of writing, yet you hold so much information in each sentence. You state everything bluntly with a perfect balance of the provocation of emotion, and I think this is something I should learn from, because similar to my overthinking of situations, I tend to drag on and on about one specific thing, whether in writing or just plain daily conversations. There were many things that I was very satisfied with, of scenes that you didn't spend too much time describing,especially the split second of when the axe comes down on Jongin's neck.

I think I groaned a few times before I got into your story because (both first and second time's read), as written in my cheatsheet, god it's another kaisoo fic.

I love how you didn't go on and on about how great Jongin is, how Kyungsoo loves him so much, how their love will toss and turn, and I especially loved how you perfectly moulded Sehun into the scenes, shining spotlight on his character without actually neglecting Jongin and Kyungsoo's presence. If that made sense...

To sum it up: it was ing good.  

 

it's good to be modest... but if you're actually doubting yourself as a writer, please read what I am about to say.

My experience of a reviewer extends to a year now, and I've spent many of those twelve months focusing my attention on reviewing stories. I don't think the number of fanfictions I've read based on the sole purpose of completing a review, will exceed the number of fanfictions I will read from my own personal choice. This being said, I've grown quite used to reading and analysing stories at the same time. 

I  started this contest mainly to satisfy my desire to kick my feels over the limit, but I also wanted to see if I could shy away from my reviewing-while-reading custom. My involuntary habit of assessing stories are one of my two difficult obstacles I need to overcome so that I can enjoy fanfictions with raw emotions (the other obstacle being an inexperienced girl chasing down grammatical errors). I can safely say that these two difficulties have grown smaller, however, they still stand as an obstacle.

So forgive me for half-analysing trainwreck love while reading it, but I noticed how you have a really manipulative way of setting the scene sneakily, without directly telling us. Where I live, we call it 'show don't tell'. To be honest, if I hadn't taken frequent breaks during the one-shot (forgive me for texting friends, and a quick run down the stairs to grab an apple because I was famished), I don't think I would have noticed it, since you concealed it really well. You don't tell us directly, but I noticed that you had already established Kyungsoo's obsession with Jongin through their first few meetings. You don't tell us directly, but Jongin has already held possession of Kyungsoo when the former calls Kyungsoo by his name, in the absence of honorrifics.

 

"because while i'm terrible, this still isn't good!"

There are 7 billion definitions of 'a brilliant author', but in my personal opinion, being able to establish significant components of the story without having the audience's knowledge of this, especially mine, qualifies for 'a brilliant author'.

'twas immensely beautiful :')

the chance of winning

 

*SPOILER AHEAD. PLEASE READ TRAINWRECK LOVE BEFORE YOU READ MY COMMENTS BELOW*

As you can see, there are so many things to love about your story. I was taken by surprise a lot; loved how you started and ended the one-shot through the present time period. I think the sentence that just blew me away, that caught me by total surprise, was: "Who treats a drug addict with another dose of their addiction?" 

Holy , I fell for your trap right from when you introduced it. Why had Sehun died, what the hell happened? Kyungsoo tried so hard to stay away from Jongin. Why. Is. Sehun DEAD?! 

...

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WOWOWOWOW".

That was amazing. LIKE WHO DOES THAT KYUNGSOO YOU IDIOT.

 

Above, I told you that there were some parts of trainwreck love that I was still confused with. The main part, was the murder of Sehun. You're hiding it pretty well, because I still can't figure out the cause of Sehun's death. Did Sehun self harm to the point of which his body couldn't take it anymore, or was it Jongin who made those slashes? Did Jongin kill Sehun, because he was angry that Sehun told the crown prince to stay away from Jongin? So Jongin killed Sehun, someone 'he dearly loved', or does he actually love Sehun (not in the same was as he loves Kyungsoo, I got that part) and resolves into execution because he couldn't save Sehun from himself in time?

I AM CONFUSED.

still a brilliant read albeit. 

 

I really, really think, that if I understood EVERYTHING from the story (just a quick mention, it's there  but I can't seem to put the pieces together: why EXACTLY did you title it trainwreck love?) then this would be one of my winners for the contest. I really think so. BUT, there's also another reason. If you haven't already noticed, the three entries I chose in the end, none of them are one-shots. Because realistically, how can the content in a one-shot compare to the content in say, a story holding 20 chapters? The chances are slim; not impossible, but slim. This is a huge reason why I don't read one-shots, but trainwreck love had a high chance of winning. I compared, and in the end, the chaptered stories won.

 

So there you have it. I hope you weren't expecting more of this rant, because I'm pretty sure I've covered everything I want to let you know from reading trainwreck love. 

LOL IS THAT A 1319 WORD COUNT I SEE?! Oops, got carried away, like I always do :3.